Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Renominating my teams from last year

100% Found Footage
Oren Peli
Paranormal Activity
Area 51
Bobcat Goldthwait
Willow Creek
Joseph and Vanessa Winter
Deadstream
Josh Trank
Chronicle
Scott Glosserman
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Stephen Cognetti
Hell House LLC
Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire
Hell House LLC Origins: The Carmichael Manor
Levan Gabriadze
Unfriended

Acolytes of Corman
James Cameron
Piranha 2: The Spawning
The Terminator
Aliens
The Abyss
Francis Ford Coppola
Dracula
Curtis Hanson
Sweet Kill

NYC Grime Connection
Frank Henenlotter
Basket Case
Basket Case 2
Abel Ferrara
Siberia
Joseph Zito
Bloodrage
The Prowler
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

Freddy's Nightmares
Stephen Hopkins
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5
Predator 2
The Reaping
Rachel Talalay
Freddy’s Dead
Ghost in the Machine (93)
A Babysitters Guide to Monster Hunting

Corman and NYC Grime went the furthest, Corman is down to almost all bangers (except Piranha 2 and Sweet Kill which or course will be the ones pulled). NYC Grime is pretty strong still.

Also renominating John Carl Buechler and Renny Harlin

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Some more solo noms

Dario Argento, Charles Band, Andy Milligan, Lloyd Kaufman, Tobe Hooper

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

My sweet boy Robert Zombie is at 5 and he still has his 4 best movies! (and Superbeasto….) He has a lot of frequent collaborators but none of them directors however there is one director who has put a Rob Zombie cameo in every single one of his films, James Gunn. So I’d like to team them up as Zombie Gunn. I think Slither feels at home with Zombies filmography anyway.

Rob Zombie
House of 1000 Corpses
Halloween
The Devils Rejects
Lords of Salem
The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

James Gunn
Slither

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 8, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I think Zombie’s brother made a movie so I was tempted to put them together. Of course I was also tempted to team Zombie with Mike Flanagan for a laugh.

Ah didn’t know that! I was gonna do Dee Snyder but apparently he just wrote Strangeland not directed.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Always Back The Drac

John Badham - Dracula(1979)
Francis Ford Coppola - Bram Stoker's Dracula
George Melford - Dracula(1931)
Werner Herzog - Nosferatu The Vampyre
Mel Brooks - Dracula Dead and Loving It, Young Frankenstein

I got Coppola’s Dracula on my Corman team but this is a great idea, if anyone has a Corman protege to replace him I’ll switch

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

My other fav James Wan is under 6 films so I’d like to introduce Teamsidious- the collected films of directors in the Insidious Franchise.

James Wan
Saw
Insidious
The Conjuring
The Conjuring 2

Leigh Whannel
Insidious: Chapter 3
Upgrade
The Invisible Man

Adam Robitel
The Taking of Deborah Logan
Insidious: The Last Key
Escape Room
Escape Room: Tournament of Champions

Patrick Wilson
Insidious: The Red Door

Feel like there is some interesting synergy between these guys. I’m already at 11 without Patrick Wilson so I can leave him and his single directorial debut off the list for now unless ppl object.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 9, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The people have spoken. Wilson is in!

his movie isn’t very good is it? Lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Friendly reminder. Don’t make nominations in edits. Not as some kind of rule or anything but because I keep track of this by going post by post and adding to the spreadsheet. So if you edit a post after I’ve been there I have no idea and lose all track. Also always good to double check to make sure your noms have been registered. Just give me a chance but feel free to double check my work if I miss something.

Speaking of…

Unfurtunately a double check says Slither has been played. So Zombie needs to find someone else.

:argh:

Ok I will steal your idea and go with The Zombie Brothers

Rob Zombie
House of 1000 Corpses
Halloween
The Devils Rejects
Lords of Salem
The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

Spider One
Allegoria
Bury the Bride

Not nearly as strong as Slither but thems the brakes. Maybe Mr. One has some of that magic that his older brother has.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Game Over- directors of horror-video game adaptions

Paul W.S. Anderson
Event Horizon
Alien vs. Predator
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

Christophe Gans
Necronomicon: Book of the Dead
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Silent Hill

Emma Tammi
The Wind
Five Nights at Freddy’s

Sorry Uwe Boll.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

This was actually drawn in 2020 for Brian Yuzna. Rest of the team looks ok. Although given the team theme I think you should probably include Anderson's Monster Hunter and maybe Death Race (since we've played the original).

Adjustments-

Game Over- directors of horror-video game adaptions

Paul W.S. Anderson
Event Horizon
Alien vs. Predator
Resident Evil
Death Race
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Monster Hunter

Christophe Gans
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Silent Hill

Emma Tammi
The Wind
Five Nights at Freddy’s

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

While I consider my bye, got another team

In Space No One Can Hear You Stream- a collection of extra-terrestrial horror

Ridley Scott
Prometheus

Brian Duffield
No One Will Save You

Jason Eisener
Kids vs. Aliens

Steven Kostanski
The Void
Psycho Gorman

Ryan Kruger
Fried Barry

Andrew Patterson
The Vast of Night

Did my best find and replace here but I might have missed something so plz let me know.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The problem I see is missing films. Eisner has Hobo with A Shotgun, Dullifield has Spontaneous, and Kostanski has Leprechaun Returns, Fathers Day, and Manborg.

Don’t know I missed all those Kostanski movies but that poster for Spontaneous does not read as horror on first glance lol. Let me fix it. I’ll abandon the 100% alien gimmick but it’s still mostly on theme.

In Space No One Can Hear You Stream- a collection of mostly extra-terrestrial horror

Ridley Scott
Prometheus

John McTiernan
Nomads
Predator

Robert Lieberman
Fire in the Sky
The Tortured

Brian Duffield
Spontaneous
No One Will Save You

Jason Eisener
Hobo with a Shotgun
Kids vs. Aliens

Ryan Kruger
Fried Barry

Andrew Patterson
The Vast of Night

I will make a separate team for Kostanski tomorrow.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 12, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Awesome, wanted to get Durst and Danzig in this thing. Verotika needs to be seen, or uh, experienced.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Since I screwed up Kostanski on my last team, I’ll make the Astron-6 Squad, a collection of films from the Canadian production company. Like these guys a lot.

Steven Kostanski
Manborg
Psycho Gorman
Leprechaun Returns

Steven Kostanski and Jeremy Gillespie
The Void

Astron-6 Collective (Adam Brooks, Jeremy Gillespie, Matthew Kennedy, Steven Kostanski and Conor Sweeney)
Father’s Day
The Editor

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 14, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Forgot to renominate one of my teams from last year that didn’t make the cut

Empire International Pictures All-Stars

Albert Band
I Bury the Living
Dracula’s Dog
Ghoulies II
Doctor Mordrid

Luca Bercovici
Ghoulies
Rockula
Dark Tide
The Granny

George Pavlou
Underworld
Rawhead Rex
Little Devils: The Birth

Come on ppl we could get Rockula vs. Dracula ‘31! Ghoulies vs. Gremlins!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I will use my bye on The Zombie Brothers

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Has Alex de la Iglesia ever been nominated? If not, I’ll nominate him. I know he is a bit of a genre-blender but I think he has at least six that can be described as horror or horror-adjacent. Jk just saw his nom

Oh and STAC if you missed it, I’m giving The Zombie Brothers my bye

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 17, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’ll nominate M. Night Shyamalan

The Sixth Sense
The Village
The Visit
Split
Glass
Old
Knock at the Cabin

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Nominations are now locked. We had 15 ballots. No one made all 15 ballots. Two nominees made 11. Should be a wide field. My mother is going in for surgery so I'm gonna work on all of this this afternoon to stay sane and hopefully have a bracket and good news for you later today.

Wishing your family the best, thanks for putting this all together

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

So yes, I’m the one who has been torturing everyone with Andy Milligan films every year. Ultimately I just find the guy endlessly fascinating. Starting as an off-off-broadway menace of experimental shenanigans and becoming an unabashed pioneer of underground queer film, a 42nd street regular, and by all accounts, a truly unpleasant man. Milligan said he was “born angry” and so many of his films are seething with rage. His animosity towards women, and particularly mothers, is ever present. He supposedly yelled out “she was a bitch!” during his long estranged mothers eulogy. A guy who wasn’t above casting lovers who would go on to become legitimate domestic terrorists (really). His films are chock full of sexual misconduct, incest, brutal violence, and everything in between. It’s a little hard recommending Andy Milligan to others given just how nasty he, and his films, can be.

But his DIY, slapped together, independent filmmaking is something to behold. He had a loyal John Waters ala Staten Island Crew that would film things like Torture Dungeon on micro-budgets. A true tortured artist, died penniless and destitute. Watching his films you wonder, why did this guy even want to make these? He seems to hate everything and everyone. But it’s that intense desire to create despite the repulsion of nearly everyone who watches his films that draws me to his works. They should make a biopic about this guy some day!

So Torture Dungeon, actually a pretty good draw for Milligan. It’s far sillier than some of his other films. Milligans trademark bare bones budget is on full display, cheap sets, cheap costumes, framing so tight you feel like the screen is closing in on you. High school production have better scenery. Certainly better wigs. And since it’s a Milligan, plenty of boobs, butts, and dicks. It’s less “Torture Dungeon” and more “chatting in a Staten Island backyard garden with a horny hunchback”. But it’s incredibly goofy, endearingly so. No attempt to recreate any sort of medieval time period, just real schlock.

Tormented just wasn’t my jam at all. Yucky in the not fun way. Demon City Shinjuku was good. Solid stuff and I wouldn’t be mad if that team moved on, but my vote is for Andy Milligan and Torture Dungeon.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I watched the OG Tales From the Crypt for a Spook A Doodle challenge at some point and I liked it a lot. The 70s Amicus style is almost a double edged sword, on one hand you have great 70s styling and on the other hands it’s a lot of indiscernible British dudes with the same haircut. And somewhat unfairly, a lot of their stories have been told to death since. But there’s still a lot of horror flair here and I especially love this version of the “Monkeys Paw” story.

Dead Heat I have had on my short life for a while so I’m happy to finally check it out. It’s a pretty fun mix of horror and the most generic buddy cop formula (there’s even a police chief to tell them they are out of line!). I agree with a lot of the sentiment here, some fun 80s schlock when you can find a way to deal with Joe Pescipo. My god, what did we as a society ever see in him!? He plays the part like someone trying to play a hack 80s comedian. Sister Death was a bit of a bore so oh well, this one’s still a fun genre bender and ultimately my vote goes to Dead Heat this round.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 7, 2024

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Event Horizon is a great pick for my team, Game Over, which I’ll admit, has a lot of crap in it but man what poor luck going up against a behemoth. I’m glad Event Horizon is getting some love ITT but NoES might be my favorite horror movie of all time. Will gladly do a rewatch of both tho!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Did Wes Craven get his films reset or did he really never play A Nightmare on Elm Street before in this?

His whole remaining set is very, very, strong. Some clunkers but I think he is one of, if not the, favorite to win this thing

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

There's a lot of scenarios where I'd absolutely vote against The Innkeepers. I've never been a much of a fan, for me House of the Devil was a lot better. In particular I don't think The Innkeepers has a satisfying ending, it's a slow burn with almost no payoff. It's well shot and well made overall though, which is why I'm forced to vote for it in this matchup.

Glad you said this, sometimes feel like I’m the only one generally underwhelmed by The Innkeepers. It just kinda bored me. And I also adore House of the Devil. But yeah, it’s certainly not a badly made film but I always feel a little crazy when ppl are gushing over Innkeepers.

Deadly Friend is a lot of fun and Trance is one of those films where I’m happy for anyone who digs it but I’m good lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tarnop posted:

I love Pulse so much

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

Funny Games won't be for everyone. Goat I know you're going to hate it and I hope you let yourself skip it if you don't feel up for it! I am looking forward to revisiting The Visit and will try not to let the title of Witching and Bitching impact my perception of it.

For the other match-up I've only see that Carrie remake and it's pretty forgettable. A friend of mine worked on The Breach and I've been meaning to watch it, I hope it's good!

If it’s any consolation, the original title is “Las Brujas de Zugarramurdi” or “The Witches of Zugarramurdi”

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Philthy posted:

I've enjoyed most of the Koji flicks I've seen, but I've been dreading watching Grotesque. I've read some things about it, and I'm fine with a certain type of gore..

I have a bad feeling about this drop...

It’s so insanely gross and mean it kinda wraps around to an almost comically ridiculous point. But yeah it’s uh….a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Buechler was a solid hand and you are pretty much guaranteed numerous rubber puppets with his films. Thought some of those in Deep Freeze were pretty fun.