Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I've been busy and didn't realize that nominations had already started until Goat messaged me. Thanks, Goat! I tried to skim but I am at work so I went quickly. I want to nominate now just in case I miss out, deepest apologies if I try to nominate one of my old teams and someone else has poached from them.

#ThrowbackThursday
Adam Wingard
Blair Witch
You're Next
Death Note
A Horrible Way to Die
Pop Skull

Ti West
Pearl
X
(Upcoming in 2024) MaXXXine
The Innkeepers
The House of the Devil

Both
V/H/S
ABCs of Death

Cloverfield +1
Dan Trachtenberg
10 Cloverfield Lane
Prey

Matt Reeves
Cloverfield
Let Me In

Julius Onah
The Cloverfield Paradox
The Girl is in Trouble

Dansk Buds
Eskil Vogt
The Innocents

Lars Von Trier
Antichrist
Epidemic

Johannes Nyholm
Koko-Di Koko-Da

Jonas Alexander Arnby
When Animals Dream

Ali Abbasi
Shelley

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And a new team

Argenterror
Ivan Noel
The Tutor
Ellos Volvieron
Children of the Night
Vuelve

Demián Rugna
Terrified
When Evil Lurks
The Last Gateway
Cursed Bastards

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Sorry for the multi-post. One last one, and it is loosely based on visually unique or experimental horror
I Ain't Never Seen This Before
Kyle Edward Bell
Skinamarink

Phil Tippett
Mad God
Starship Troopers 2 (I had no idea he directed this, but it is horror and rules are rules)

Valdimar Jóhannsson
Lamb

Edmund Elias Merhige
Begotten
Shadow of the Vampire

John Parker
Dementia

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Kangra posted:

Samfucious, I'm pretty sure Matt Reeves has already had both films in the tourney. But you can take Babak Anvari, who I'm releasing from my team. Of course he's not a +1 and his Cloverfield film is not released yet, so maybe not.

Oh wild. I nominated this exact team last year too :bravo:

I'll take Babak if that's ok. He's close in spirit.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I nominate Alfred Hitchcock.

I also hate Alfred Hitchcock.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I'll re-nominate my team from last year, TaBOO!

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I'll use my bye on I Ain't Never Seen This Before

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Hey Goat, Kiyoshi Kurosawa is in the veterans pool twice, once near the top and again at the bottom.

Edit: he's also in the solo directors pool twice

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 19, 2023

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I've only ever watched Dead Heat in theatres with crowds that were absolutely stoked to see it, it's so odd to see it considered tepid here.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Sister Death was way better than I was expecting, but the butcher scene from Dead Heat could just about carry the movie all by itself.

I am a shameful horror fan, having no idea that a 1972 tales from the crypt movie even existed. I love, love, love red acrylic paint blood too!

Over here in China I just can't find a reliable connection to Tormented or Torture Dungeon, if anyone could throw a link my way I'd be happy as a clam.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Whoever said that Torture Dungeon was a bunch of Shakespeare in the park actors was spot on.

Edit: it was Goat. Good call, Goat.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Babysitter was actively grating. Maybe I'm just too old for movies that are this easy to call. I turned to my wife 2/3 of the way through and said "this movie is going to end with a CG ghoulie lunging at the audience" and sure enough. The inclusion of ugly Minions killed me. The worst part was Tom Felton, who is not a bad actor in general but came straight from wacky community theatre guy casting agency. Was he directed to act like that?

Sorry for the rant, watched it last night and it really annoyed me. You'll notice I spent no time here talking about why Blair Witch was good, because with the exception of a few scenes it really wasn't. It still came out miles ahead.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Absolutely no argument about The Transfiguration, though. Good stuff.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Event Horizon is one of my favorite horror movies to think about, because the parts that stick really stick. Even when I was younger horror movies rarely terrified me, but the part with Sam Neil's wife in the vents made me hide behind a couch cushion. There are also a few fun world-building decisions from Sam Neill made, like his cool (or "woke", if you're a jerk) decision to replace the Australian flag on his uniform with the aboriginal flag, in honor of a future he wished for.

Unfortunately the rest of the movie isn't quite as good as the best bits, there are some definite peaks and valleys. Anderson shows his video game future by letting the third act become an action sequence, for example.

On the other hand I'm just a bit too young for Nightmare to have a cultural hold. I only watch them as the movies that they are, not as the game changers the context of the time would have given me. I certainly like them, but I find the reputation more interesting than the movies themselves. I'll probably vote Event Horizon, but that's not a done deal.

I actually watched Jennifer last week, as I put on some Masters of Horror while puttering about. I didn't even realize it was in the tournament. It offers no surprises, you'll have the whole plot figured out from the first scene. And yeah, it's really horny in a way that it never quite earns or justifies. It ain't terrible, but it won't take much to beat.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Goddammit, I forgot to vote

I was away on a work trip

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Huh? I just tried and it rejected me

Edit: I'm an idiot and I clicked last week's poll

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Sure, why not.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I don't have Tubi, could someone kind come through for me with Malpertius and Revenge of the Ninja?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Kangra posted:

Tubi's not even available in many countries that don't restrict internet access.

Yeah, it's very American. I remember it not being available in the UK when I lived there. It isn't available here in China either, and my VPN'd wifi sets me to Singapore (where it is also not available).

Also hell yeah for the YouTube link, I didn't see it before and I'll use that.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 25, 2024

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I'm ready to say it, I dug Malpertuis. It's exactly the kinda movie that I should have heard of before, Orson Welles is sewing Greek gods into human flesh!

Even the weird incest poo poo makes total sense as soon as they reveal the Greek myth angle, it 100% tracks with old Zeus and the gang.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

The extended slipping scene with Frankenstein and the monster had me giggling.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

In my memory, Sweet Home has a solid ending but it's a slog to get there.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Watching Dementia, I wonder if it will pass the "is it actually horror" test for other people, but I really liked it. It's plain as paint that the director John Parker had a strong vison that he needed to share, especially considering that he never made another film.

The flashback scene in the graveyard was the best example, bringing a living room furniture set and dumping it outside.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I love Ninja Scroll, and my Wicked City review is basically "I'm glad he got it out of his system before he made Ninja Scroll".

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I love Ninja Scroll and used to regularly get high and watch it in my college dorm room, but even Ninja Scroll has some stuff that I'd probably want to warn someone about if I was recommending it to them.

Oh yeah, definitely. Vagina-based weaponry and sexual assaults are part of both movies, but Ninja Scroll just has way less (and way more of rad monster fights)

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I'm obviously biased here, but Inkeepers vs Cirque Du Freak couldn't be an easier choice. Innkeepers is one of those movies that I showed to friends all the time, and not only is Cirque bad, it has the added insult of being a bad adaptation of a book that I absolutely loved when I was 11.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

The opening of Deadly Friend with BB's little nervous goblin noises had Moomin Dreams and I absolutely rolling. Definitely better than Trance.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

There’s a lot of content from the books not necessarily trimmed or worked in well enough. A lot of world building and sequel setup and characters and elements that don’t feel fleshed out or especially important to the story at hand. There’s a whole cast of quality actors in that carnival crew that really could have been cut or skimmed down since they don’t really factor into the main story and don’t get enough time in the film to make a mark as a side plot. They’re just kind of there and there’s a lot of stuff like that. And then that takes away from any time to establish the stuff that does matter like the boring lead’s relationships with his family, frenemy, and love interest.

I had a similar take but a different conclusion. I remember hearing that the movie was bad, but when I watched the actual freak show scene where all of their characters do their things I thought it was great. It was the most invested I ever got in the movie. And in the context of the books it isn't sequel setup, the main character leaves the circus at the end of the first book and never returns.

I loved the first book and hated all of the sequels that I bothered to read because I was interested in the traveling ensemble, dammit. The actual book series just turns into a story about a petty, traditionalist vampire clan. No other freaks allowed.

So if the book sequels suck, why not overdevelop all of these side characters that canonically go nowhere and make something good?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Hell yeah. I was one of the people who absolutely adored Skinamarink, it and Mad God were the reasons I put the team together in the first place. It really does capture that feeling of being alone in a house when you're really young. I'm happy it has some real competition in Pulse, a movie that I'd vote for in many, many matchups. The scene with the ghost having its momentary stumble is a wonderfully successful way to make things feel even more wrong. I'll watch the third movie in the matchup with an open mind but it'll be hard to beat Skinamarink for me. I hope y'all don't hate it, but if you do at least you watched it.

Also Thirteen Ghosts slaps. The trailer scared the poo poo out of me when it came out.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

married but discreet posted:

Uh, Skinamarink I guess? Pulse is really good but I’ll vote for the more original movie, even if I want many more movies like Pulse but none more like Skinamarink.

You're in luck, there are no other movies like Skinamarink. Except for the YouTube short it's loosely based on, I guess.

I voted Skinamarink and Anguish, and add me to the pile of people that liked every single movie this week.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Despite dragging in the middle, I used to show college friends Witching and Bitching all the time. The first and last acts really are that fun.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I threw Koko Di onto the team to round out the numbers, I didn't expect much of anything. At its worst it reminded me of community theater, but at its best it reminded me of the really strong middle act of Yellowbrickroad. Not in story but in tone. Haven't watched Synchronic yet, and I really like B+M, but I could definitely see myself voting for Koko.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

We're having the darndest time getting ahold of Yokai War and Tomb, any help is appreciated.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Not in the last two years. I wasn't around before that.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I read a lot of Michael Crichton in sixth grade and I remember being very disappointed with the Sphere movie adaptation. Time to watch it again!

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Top tip for anyone else who doesn't live in the west and has a hard time accessing the paid services, Deep Freeze is also on YouTube.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

:doh:
Terrified was supposed to be the marque movie for the whole team and of course it goes up against one of my favorite movies of all time.

Though that's really more fun, two big guys throwing haymakers rather than a beatdown. Echoing Goat, please just watch the movie even if you've already decided.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I'm having a hell of a time getting Voices From Beyond in case anyone can PM me a link.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Another PSA for those of us living outside the West: Cellar Dweller is on YouTube as well as the MST3K episode of The Deadly Mantis, if that's what you're into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Class3KillStorm posted:

Voted for Van Helsing and The Mummy.

Total opposite for me. Mushrooms may not be a horror movie, but neither is Van Helsing, and Mushrooms I actually watched. VH was two hours of "holy poo poo, it's still going".

The Mummy was fine, and if it tied with Chronicle I'd vote for it on a gently caress-Max-Landis basis, but Chronicle was so, so, so much better. Entirely different league, much less ball park.