Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gonna re-nominate my team "Chucky and His Pals", starring the works of Tom "I'm not Spider-Man" Holland, John Lafia, Ronny Yu and Don Mancini. I'm pretty sure that they still have 6 films to nominate between them, even if a couple of the bigger guns have been used already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Since STAC Goat reminded me that I have a bye to use - my first ever PM! - I'm gonna use it for Steve's Monster Blockbusters, same as last year. Because any team with both Jaws and The Mummy '99 on it has to be worth keeping around.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I know this is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I just don't much care for Heather Langenkamp's performance in these movies, and feel like it's a bit of a weight dragging down the first ANoES film. I do intend to watch both it and Event Horizon again before the round is over, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I end up voting against Wes here purely because of the central performance of Nightmare being not all that good.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I ended up voting for ANoES over Event Horizon just now, not because I think that it's necessarily a better film; I think that the two films are about tied as being overall better than average, but not necessarily outstanding films on their own merits. (Nightmare has great ideas brewing around in its head, but it doesn't have the budget for decent execution, and is hampered by its central performance; Horizon has better budget to attain its ideas, but they're not very well defined in places and the special effects are unfortunately pretty dated. And it has a similar weakness with some of its secondary performances.)

No, what ended up cinching it for me was checking STAC Goat's spreadsheet and seeing what we'd be leaving on the table, and Craven just has too many bangers left to play that it wouldn't feel right voting against him. (Maybe this will be the year he finally gets to play all of his good films and advance beyond the first couple of rounds? That'd be a nice change for him.) Plus, I can't in good conscience vote for the team that will be bringing in multiple Resident Evil films and the dreadful Alien vs. Predator film, even if I likely have more tolerance for something like Five Nights at Freddy's than most others. So this is more of a strategic vote than a vote based on the merits of the films in question.

Easy vote for 28 Weeks Later, though, even if that film has not aged as well as I would have imagined that it would; as I've gotten older I just have less patience for that mid-2000s brand of nihilistic rage that Hollywood was working through in the throes of Bush II's second administration.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I'm a bit bummed to vote against Lloyd Kaufman, as I have a bit of a soft spot for him - when I was in film school, Troma was the only company that was gonna offer me an on-set internship, but I just couldn't make the logistics work; one of the great regrets of my college career is that I didn't get to work on Poultrygeist, lol. But, if I'm being honest, Troma just doesn't make films that appeal to me terribly much one way or the other, so I'm less voting for Fresh than against the inconsistency of Team Troma.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Who would vote against this smooth operator?

I've never enjoyed the Insidious films, so I may vote for Temple of Ligeia based on that screenshot alone.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Samfucius posted:

I read a lot of Michael Crichton in sixth grade and I remember being very disappointed with the Sphere movie adaptation. Time to watch it again!

Yeah, it was way too slick and not trippy enough. And there wasn't much of a feeling of oppressive dread at being stuck underwater so far away from rescue. Just kinda hollow. But who knows - I haven't seen it in over a quarter of a century (!), so maybe it will be a different experience now. Haven't seen Beneath, but that one may have a leg up just for not being a quarter-century-long wet fart, in my eyes.

On the flip side, I was just super disappointed with The Dead Don't Die. Like, it wasn't as clever as Jarmusch thought and not altogether all that insightful or funny. Again, just kinda hollow. As before, I've also have never seen Older Than America, but it'll have the leg up just by being a fresh watch with no expectations or bad memories attached.

Odd that the 2 films I'd seen before this week both managed to be disappointments. May make it easy to just vote AGAINST them without bothering to see the competition, if I get too busy this week.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't get a chance to watch anything this week, but I'm gonna throw a couple of votes out there (hopefully not skewing things too bad at the end). Ended up voting for Sphere, less because of my vague, hazy memories of that film, and more for my solid affection for other films on it that could come into play later (namely Arachnophobia and Congo, if I'm being honest). I liked Fessenden's Wendigo, and I wish more solo directors were doing well here, but I just don't know the rest of those titles, which makes me inclined to vote for what I know over what I don't.

Also voted against The Dead Don't Die, but that was also mainly because I know that mbd's team has Blood Quantum in its back pocket, which is a solid enough reason to vote for them. (And because TDDD wasn't very good.)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

That Blood Quantum v Arachnophobia face-off is rough. I'm really gonna have to mull over how I'd want to vote there - I figure BQ is probably the better movie and everything, but Arachnophobia is just so much more fun.

I never liked the original Unbreakable and I never bothered with Split, so Glass just feels like a movie I would have no possible interest in. I'm only neutral on Basket Case, but that still seems like it would win out over something I'm totally indifferent to.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I've seen everything here this week except for Exorcist: The Beginning, and I remember only being lukewarm on all of them. (Yes, even OG Evil Dead.) I'll see if I can track down a copy of E:tB for this week, but it may end up coming down to a coin flip in both matches for me.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gonna vote for my own team mostly because I don't see a ton else on the "Monsters, Monsters and More Monsters" team that appeals to me, personally, besides Tremors. Which is a hell of a card to play, I'll grant you, but I don't think that The Brain From Planet Arous or The Boy Who Cried Werewolf are gonna do anything but prevent it from getting played.

On the other side, I'll be voting for the Rob Zombie-fronted team, not because I particularly like House of 1000 Corpses outside of a few showpiece moments, but more because I don't see much else coming up on the John Carl Buechler side that I care about. (Troll is weird and Friday the 13th Part 7 is only okay, and the rest just sound like they'd be garbage.)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Hell yea, I got my vote in for Deadly Mantis at like 10am so good thing I didn't forget!

As for Van Helsing this week, I fully acknowledge that the movie has pacing issues but I think if you go scene by scene there's some really solid stuff in there. The opening scene in particular is really excellent.

It's all Basebf555's fault my team got booted again! :argh:

I think Van Helsing is a terrible movie on its own, but I've never heard of this Mushrooms film so VH may end up winning by dint of being heard of before. We'll see.

I also don't think much of the Hammer Mummy film and that Chronicle is a better film overall. But I don't much care for Josh Trank as a person or a creator after all the stories from his disastrous Fantastic Four reboot from some years back, so I may end up voting against him on the back of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing being dependable old stalwarts and Terence Fisher not being completely up his own rear end and insane.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Voted for Van Helsing and The Mummy. Not because of any particular love for either of those movies, but more because I like the movies that are coming up later if they stay in more than the competition. (The 100% Found Footage team has a few more films I really like coming up - namely Behind the Mask and Deadstream - but it has a lot of cruft that I don't care about - namely the Hell House LLC movies. But while I don't think I like any of the Terence Fisher choices as much as the two good 100FF films, there's just so many more "pretty good" choices on hand to outweigh the "two really good and a lot of really bad" options on the other side.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Easy vote for Nope, easy vote for Return of the Living Dead. Not even a little bit of trepidation on either of those choices.