Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kangra posted:

Since I broke up the Sister/Sibling team, I'm adding one more to this team. I feel like this is a much better fit for Kim Jee-woon.

Koreans Gone Global

This feels like a team that could win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's a few in the solo pool that are repeated from earlier. I spotted Argento, Deodato, Koji Shiraishi and Tobe Hooper

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

Everyone should be on there twice. Argento should be in the solo pool and the veteran pool. The problem is if I recorded twice in which case they’re on there four times, twice in each pool. I THINK I caught all of those now?

Immediately outing myself as just scrolling straight down to the vote link, sorry! I have now read the whole post

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WeaponX posted:

Wishing your family the best, thanks for putting this all together

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Philthy posted:

Looking forward to Blair Witch because I've seen polarized reviews about it. It can't be as bad as the second one, can it? God I hope not!

I thought it was better than the theatrical release of Book of Shadows, but there's a fan edit that bumps BoS into second place. Worth seeking out (or PM me)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm glad people are into The Transfiguration. It does an excellent job of sustaining the feeling that something terrible is about to happen

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MacheteZombie posted:

the fake out with milo killing sophie got me so good because of that

Absolutely, it's very well earned

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I have a real soft spot for Event Horizon but the concept far outstrips the execution. Warhammer 40k meets Hellraiser was catnip for my teenage brain. However, NoES nails both concept and execution so I think it will be a pretty easy decision. I'm going to enjoy watching them again either way

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Voting is still open

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

TrixRabbi posted:

Did Wes Craven get his films reset or did he really never play A Nightmare on Elm Street before in this?

The latter. He's drawn pretty badly and/or unluckily so far

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Philthy posted:

Man Event Horizon got a bad draw then, that would have beat pretty much everything but an iconic movie, I think.

That's Bracketology! I have a vague memory of something well-liked drawing Alien in the first round of Bracketology #1

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Darthemed posted:

I’m okay with you redrawing another film from Malpertius’ team, since you caught it the day the new contestants went up. Everybody else cool with that?

Yep

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I love Pulse so much

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Berzerker posted:

(I also watched it on a big TV, in bed, pitch black, and stoned which probably added to the effect).

I'm about to watch and I'm following these directions to the letter

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Skinamarink vs Pulse is definitely a clash of titans in the horror subgenre of "it's more about what might happen"

Fortunately my head is full of things that might happen

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's a definite Lynch quality to all the incredibly simple effects too. Particularly the scene where the toilet is disappearing and reappearing

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cabin in the Woods was a vicious takedown of how the writers vaguely remember horror movies being when they last watched one, which was apparently 20 years before writing Cabin in the Woods

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's lots of stupid stuff in Benson and Moorehead films but (a) it's never stupid enough to take me out of the film and (B) they seem like goofs so I always just assumed I was laughing along with them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've been meaning to watch Errementari for a while now, this will give me the push I need

I watched 6th Sense not that long ago and it holds up well imo. It's a good twist movie because rather than rendering it inert, knowing the twist just changes one of the things that the film is about. The worst thing about watching it in 2024 isn't knowing the twist, it's the same issue that something like Silence of the Lambs has: it's been memed and Tree House of Horrored almost to death. SotL is such a strong film that it survives all that. I feel like 6th Sense might be more of a coin toss for people. I still enjoyed it a lot; the performances are strong and the direction still has that confidence that had people losing their minds and calling him the next Spielberg or whatever

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh, she'll be watching it for the first time? That's great, there's a lot of vicarious enjoyment to be had sharing someone's first watch of a film like that. Hope you both have a good time!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MacheteZombie posted:

Haven't we pulled grotesque before?

I believe that was a non-bracketology stream viewing. Koji has had a bad run so far, out first round three times

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MacheteZombie posted:

I dont see grotesque changing that which is a bummer, but is what it is!

The prowler is a fun match up for it though

Yeah I don't expect Grotesque is going to go down particularly well

Still, he's got all his best films left for next year!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Class3KillStorm posted:

On the flip side, I was just super disappointed with The Dead Don't Die. Like, it wasn't as clever as Jarmusch thought and not altogether all that insightful or funny.

I agree with this entirely, and it's a death sentence for a movie like this. It just ends up feeling like a smug inside joke at the audience's literal expense

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

Ohhh I definitely am looking forward to The Wasp Woman. How can you go wrong?

The traditional way would be to have 2 minutes of cool wasp woman and an hour of men in suits smoking pipes in a drawing room and wondering aloud how a woman can be a wasp

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There are lots of rules for making teams because of terrible people like me who will try to push them to breaking point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Samfucius posted:

Total opposite for me. Mushrooms may not be a horror movie, but neither is Van Helsing, and Mushrooms I actually watched. VH was two hours of "holy poo poo, it's still going".

The Mummy was fine, and if it tied with Chronicle I'd vote for it on a gently caress-Max-Landis basis, but Chronicle was so, so, so much better. Entirely different league, much less ball park.

Same, same. Max Landis was the writer and this is a director tourney so my conscience is clear!