Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
If I nominate an old team now, can I still add movies to it later? Yes I can

Edit: As usual I nominate Takashi Miike

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok here are 4 team renominations. Didn't check if they still have enough movies, but it looks like Goat did?

THE INSANE BRUTALITY OF LOVE
Czech This Out (Czechoslovakian New Wave)
Life Affirming Austrians
Neue Deutsche Filme

Directors:
Ngai Choi Lam
Claudio Fragasso
Hasan Karacadağ

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Would like to nominate Nobuo Nakagawa
https://letterboxd.com/director/nobuo-nakagawa/genre/horror/

Team Eerie Eire
https://letterboxd.com/director/lorcan-finnegan/genre/horror/
https://letterboxd.com/director/corin-hardy/genre/horror/
https://letterboxd.com/director/jon-wright/genre/horror/

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Darthemed posted:

Nominating Team Fresh Styles, a group of directors who each did only one horror film, but found ways to push the genre to wonderful places not visited nearly often enough (in my estimation).

Harrison Atkins
Lace Crater

Mark Goldblatt
Dead Heat

Joseph Kahn
Detention

Bigas Luna
Anguish

Jiri Sádek
The Noonday Witch

Cindy Sherman
Office Killer

Stoked to rewatch Detention. Always ready for Detention coach!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
New Team: Adams Family Values - John Adams, Zelda Adams and Barry Sonnenfeld

https://letterboxd.com/actor/john-adams-1/genre/horror/
https://letterboxd.com/actor/zelda-adams/genre/horror/
https://letterboxd.com/director/barry-sonnenfeld/

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Lol yes the two Addams Family movies, and I thought film <60minutes didn't count?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Japanese Ghosts, Mostly Cats

https://letterboxd.com/director/yoshihiro-ishikawa/genre/horror/
https://letterboxd.com/director/tokuzo-tanaka/genre/horror/
https://letterboxd.com/director/bin-kato/genre/horror/

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 13, 2023

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah but can it beat this team?

A Special Person Made This

Andrew Getty, Glenn Danzig, Fred Durst, Chester Novell Turner, Dasha Nekrasova, John Pieplow

https://letterboxd.com/director/andrew-getty/
https://letterboxd.com/director/glenn-danzig/genre/horror/
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-fanatic/
https://letterboxd.com/director/chester-novell-turner/
https://letterboxd.com/f_ranzen/list/dasha-nekrasova/
https://letterboxd.com/director/john-pieplow/

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My bye goes to Takashi Miike, obviously.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm a big dumbo who forgot to actually update his renominated teams. Ah well.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Thanks for doing this for us horror hounds despite all this. Wishing you and + your mom all the best.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Good to hear Mama Goat is fine!

Still kicking myself for not actually updating my teams, so dumb!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah, first movies of 2024!

Dead Heat has some really high highs, specifically the Chinatown meat store and the disintegrating love interest (tho what is it with the Blacks and killing off women in sort of hosed up ways?). The rest is sort of boring, Lethal Weapon knockoff with most jokes not landing. I did laugh at the Casablanca homage in the end. Overall, ok I guess?

Sister Death has far fewer things going for it, namely nicely framed shots and a very good poster. The movie itself is dreadfully boring. Also another data point for my thesis that if there a synth score in a modern horror movie it is usually a last ditch effort to save a total stinker. This one is especially egregious because it’s so completely out of place, made me laugh.

Tales From The Crypt I’m not rewatching, and like any anthology it benefits from the bad parts being forgettable without hurting the thing overall. I enjoyed it! Not the best anthology, or best Tales From the Crypt even, but it’s enough to beat the other movies.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Torture Dungeon should be good bad, but it’s just plain bad. It’s just too amateurish for me to really be a serious contender.

Tormented Definitely a time capsule for that time in the early 2000s when England was really self-satisfied and genuinely thought they were cool. Ironically, that’s the first movie my Eerie Eire team draws. I pretty much hated every character but their violent deaths didn’t give me any satisfaction, I suppose I’m not really the target audience for slasher movies. Overall quite disliked this.

Demon City doesn’t have much going for it other than some interesting monster design and a couple of nods to Blade Runner. Mostly boring but I didn’t hate anything about it either.

Oh what a round when the anime is the least objectionable movie in a three-way competition

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This week was considerably better than last, thank god!

Transfiguration was probably the best of the bunch – I enjoyed this more than Martin (in part because Romero’s directing never appealed to me), and I really liked how close it veered into Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer territory. Amazing how much you can do with a bunch of good actors and solid script.

The H-Man had some really good parts – notably the ghost ship with the flashlight-lit scenery – and excellent SFX. I didn’t care much for the gangster parts, and the wild dubbing did not exactly help. What a terrible, terrible idea to have people do Japanese accents, what the gently caress.

Transfiguration is plain better, even though I wish I could have voted for H Man.

Blair Witch really got on my nerves at the start with the excessive editing that really pushed the boundaries of what you can call found footage in a bad way. But I’m giving Wingard some slack here since he’s done the genre before and probably wanted to try something else. Once the movie gets going it works – there’s something very satisfying in seeing someone who actually knows what they are doing take on found footage. There’s this wonderful little scene between the two main characters where it cuts between their different footage, each looking into the others faces, you usually don’t see that kind of interpersonal moment in found footage. Then the oogabooga witch in the thunderstormy house is just plain fun. I dig high energy blair witch, why try and compete with the original on its own terms?

Babysitters etc – as much as I appreciate the diversity in movies that we get in Bracketology, this just couldn’t be further from my moviewatching interests.

Blair Witch it is!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm on team Horizon here.

No idea about the other matchup - later Argento is so weird and horny in the worst way, but I still always hope for a sleeper hit. 28 Weeks, eh, another zombie movie. We'll see.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Jenifer is both gross and weird but also pedestrian. I guess this could have sort of worked if there was any indication that Jenifer was actually having some sort of extraordinary influence on men outside of having boobs, but without it its just horny old Dario asking us to come along for his weird, non-good ride. If anyone told me this was directed by Argento I’d tell them no way, but I guess he’s just been a crappy hack from decades now. Sad.

28 Weeks Later on the other hand, I’d pay good money to never see a zombie movie again. Automatic no.

Voting Jenifer.

Event Horizon is one of the few good space horror movies out there, and Nightmare on Elm Street never did anything for me to be honest.
It’s not a hard choice for me at all here. Event Horizon.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Philthy posted:

Oh. my. God.

I'm voting Ninja~ I have no idea what exactly happened throughout it, in large part perhaps because the 50 pixel resolution on youtube, but hell yea this rules. Sorry Noonday Witch trying to make a thoughtful meditation on something or other, I want to see more movies from a country where apparently nobody knows what a gun looks like or how it works.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Malpertuis is completely my vibe, it’s gorgeous and it’s weird. The only thing I didn’t enjoy was the ending, from the explanation of whats happening to the it was a dream or was it finale. Some things are better left unexplained.

Frankenstein goes about as fast as a movie can go, cramming an insane amount of EVERYTHING into a two hour runtime. It really could have used some room for breating, either by cutting out a lot of stuff or making it longer. I’m sure some directors cut exists that does just that.

Malpertuis it is

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wicked City is dumb and bad and embarrassing to watch. The background art is nice, I’ll give it that.

Dementia on the other hand is real cool all around but even a stinker would have won.

Sweet Home doesn’t really have much going on plotwise, but the SFX are really impressive. The goop levels are off the chart. And the amount of emotional expression they got into that monster puppet, wow! Absolutely makes up for the weird beginning. The soundtrack kept screaming video game at me, which in retrospect makes sense.

Bedlam is a really enjoyable watch, but it’s just not horror. I’d have gladly voted for it if it had been up against Wicked City of course.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Innkeepers is such a nice and chill horror movie. Hard to beat for most movies if you ask me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Deadly Friend is trying to not be a Wes Craven movie, but with frankly fortuitous meddling by the studio turned into a very Craven movie – not in the NOES or Scream vein, but the amazing Shocker. The obvious highpoint is of course the baseball scene, which is famous far beyond the actual movie, but the whole thing is just thoroughly enjoyable. Notably strong sexual chemistry between the male lead and his best friend, Swanson totally sidelined, hilariously enough.

Trance is pretty fun – Danny Boyle’s a stylish director and he makes a slick, sexy thriller with the only horror element being a brief shot of a decomposing corpse. Probably taking a bit too many twists and turns, but overall I enjoyed it. Wish it had been more about art – the best parts were the very beginning describing lost art and the credits with the painting unmade. Lol at the gratuitous shaved cooch shot being a semi plot point.

Easy vote for Deadly Friend but I also had fun with Trance.

The Innkeepers is just such a chill and cozy ghost story, with West using an internet screamer video to tell the audience that you absolutely can’t trust him to not pull off cheapest possible scare ever. He never does, but I was terrified throughout. Love it.

Cirque du Freaque is way, way better than I expected. Young Adult is quite frankly the worst and most insulting set of cliches you can hoist upon an audience. Probably worse than Marvel since it spreads into every genre instead of just staying confined to one type of movie. Why not just make something for young adults that's not the same as every other thing for them? But this one is fighting back really hard with an amazing cast, a lot of style and a lot of jokes that actually land. Still comes to a standstill whenever its mandatory YA content time.

Shame, but could have beat some worse movies. Just not Innkeepers.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Stoked for every single movie this round!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yooo what a week of absolute bangers!

13Thirt133nth Ghosts is just amazingly smoothbrained in the best way, with an amazing set and fun SFX. Special mention to the really neat rotating camera shot that starts with Tony Shaloubs family, the fire, the aftermath and then his new sad apartment. Robert Zemeckis produced this movie but it almost felt like he took over the direction for that one scene. Real fun all around, and I’d easily vote for it over many films

Anguish holy poo poo what a movie. Watching this in a movie theatre, especially nowadays as opposed to 1987 would probably kill people.

Without saying anything more, Anguish!

Pulse – you could say this is a prescient movie but really instead of making us all lonely and sad the internet connected us all and made us fight nonstop, which honestly is more hosed up. Still spooky.

Skinamarink I enjoyed much more than expected, but it really is a movie you have to actively work on enjoying. I watched this in two parts, and the first one was definitely spent memorizing the fake movie grain. After the tension of the first jump scare was relieved I paid more attention to the pleasant colours and angles and the mesmerizing sound, and quite enjoyed it. The second jump scare with the telephone was hilarious. People say the movie is too long, but I think it dragging on is the entire point, and if you don’t play on your phone while it is going you’ll actually get the desired effect.

7th Victim is a neat little noir, and Pilates or whatever is horrific enough to count for me here.

Uh, Skinamarink I guess? Pulse is really good but I’ll vote for the more original movie, even if I want many more movies like Pulse but none more like Skinamarink.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Definitely voting The Visit over my own team. Visit made me realize how much of a genius M.N.S. really is, but I'm also pissed that I did not actually update my Austrian team with all the new movies I dug up over the year.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It just sounds so baaad

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Synchronic is giving me a really hard time with putting it in any place. Is it being smart or being really, really dumb? How much am I supposed to laugh at what’s happening while also taking it completely seriously? There’s only so many times a black protagonist can do enough drugs to go back in time to end up in the absolutely worst possible situation before it’s not only clear what the message is but it also becomes really funny. All of this of course being made even more puzzling because it’s stellarly acted and shot. I loved it but I am so confused.

Koko-di-koko-da is much easier in its core – serious, bad things happening to people on screen are funny. Plus, it’s got puppets. This would be easy to vote for but Synchronic is also really good but in an entirely different way.

Fresh has a much easier time against Return to Nukem High – I don’t really care for the kind of horror RtNH is offering. Fresh starts out like a generic contemporary straight to streaming horror movie about dating, but ends up going deviant enough to be very fun. Always happy to see a rape-revenge movie without actual rape.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Always vote for cat

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Will be voting Sixth Sense over Errementari because I love MNS not because Errementari is bad in any way or form.
Prowler is boring and gross and I don't really want to watch Grotesque, so I guess I'm abstaining?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah heck, I was hoping for an easy double win with this one, but then [bNinth Heart[/b] was a huge letdown. I’m a sucker for both Czechosloviakian and 70s fantasy movies, and this one combines it in the most boring possible way. There’s elements that I love, but it just spends so much time with a boring setup before they begin their adventure, which involved a single (albeit neat) setpiece. I know budget and all, but I was expecting way more, especially since other movies from that team have consistently delivered.

Future Kick threads the fine line where if it was a bit better or a bit worse it would be enjoyable, but as is it makes me wish I was either watching an Albert Pyun joint or an Italian Blade Runner/Terminator/Total Recall knockoff. It’s juuuust semi-ok, which is the worst position for a movie. The soundtrack is perhaps the best example, it’s almost good so it’s just very frustrating.

Deep Freeze is bad, but just bad enough to be enjoyable. Any movie that ends with a stop motion puppet monster scene accompanied by scary organ music that fades into Texas twang has its heart in the right place. It sort of reminded me of a 50s/60s creature feature with lots of talking and few monster shots. And kudos to what might just be the worst science talk/visuals I’ve ever experienced in a movie. The terrible DNA sequences made me laugh but the zoology afterwards topped it. Amazing.

Voting Deep Freeze

Berlin Bride is so weird and charming, I can’t not vote for it (also it’s on my team).

The Devil’s Candy is also very charming but not weird, so clearly inferior.

Dark Tide gets kudos for finding real life Harlequin romance cover models to act in the movie, but it’s also really rapey. The version I watched had both the sex and rape scenes crudely cut out, which about balances out the good and bad of that. Ultimately boring, but I could imagine a version of this that doesn’t suck (honestly I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it on late night TV and it featured Billy Zane)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I heck, a double loss. So now all my teams are dead, right?

I might be wrong here but this week's outcome seems clear-cut.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Easy choices this week

Terrified is sooo good, until it isn’t. It sort of feels like a more sicko James Wan movie, but then through someones absolutely hare-brained decision thinks it’s a good idea to explain the haunting with ghost midichlorians or something. Totally took me out of the movie, but the ending is just generally a bit lackluster anyways. Rugna is still a director to watch out for, he really has a knack for unnerving imagery and ideas

Evil Dead is a default winner so even with a better ending Terrified wouldn’t cut have it

The Mangler is a total hoot. What could have been your bog standard possessed industrial laundry machine story is elevated by great direction and likeable actors. Loving the look of the Mangler, the factory, the Stephen King protagonist best friend who is gonna die’s house with the Hooper Christmas lights. Movie might have been a bit better with 15 minutes cut, but that’s the only thing I can really criticize.

Exorcist:The Beginning has a fun setting, but it’s all bad cgi and truly tired scares. Get some new material! Also wild that people would give that little of a gently caress about the script that the entire premise of the movie is based on not even looking up basic history such as when did Christianity get introduced to East Africa.

Easy win for Mangler, but to add insult to injury the exorcism scene in Mangler is better than anything in Exorcist.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Another week of easy choices.
Demon Knight is one of those few horror comedies I actually like, and Billy Zane is just such a joy to watch.
Dracula & Son would have had to be a whole lot better to beat it.

Voices From Beyond is actually much better than expected – definitely takes some inspiration from Twin Peaks (which debuted a year earlier apparently) but gives it the Fulci touch. Excellent soundtrack too, with the main bassline suspiciously similar to the one in Blues Brothers, but I don’t know a thing about music…

Hobo With a Shotgun is just too good though – the perfect example of a throwback exploitation movie that actually works (unlike for example Turbo Kid). Endlessly rewatchable and makes me happy whenever I see it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What the gently caress Hobo with a Shotgun lost to a made for TV Fulci???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Cellar Dweller is fun but if it wins against RZomb I will lose all faith in Bracketology.