Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Best line in the George R. R. Martin book catastrophe is, from his fans, “Thank you for being here. I’m glad you’re here” It’s his town, he’s supposed to be there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Best line in the George R. R. Martin book catastrophe is, from his fans, “Thank you for being here. I’m glad you’re here” It’s his town, he’s supposed to be there!

It's been loving 12 years. When is Winds of Winter happening?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

he has passive income from Meow Wolf and just hangs out in Santa Fe doing whatever the gently caress he wants in his old age, its pretty rad

I'm sure one episode of being EP for Hot D is more than he'll ever make from Meow Wolf.

Also I can't stand the goon opinion of GoT specifically getting "culturally memory holed". The show ended and people stopped posting about it because there are a billion other things to post about. "The ending was so bad that it retroactively ruined the rest of the show" is also a minority nerd opinion

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

quote:

"The ending was so bad that it retroactively ruined the rest of the show" is also a minority nerd opinion

No it is not

It's epically bad, it's famously the worst ending to something decent of all time and it does ruin your enjoyment of a rewatch because you know it all turns to poo poo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm sure one episode of being EP for Hot D is more than he'll ever make from Meow Wolf.

Also I can't stand the goon opinion of GoT specifically getting "culturally memory holed". The show ended and people stopped posting about it because there are a billion other things to post about. "The ending was so bad that it retroactively ruined the rest of the show" is also a minority nerd opinion

Nah not really. When ever GoT is mentioned in pop cultural places now, it's always about the show the ending ruined. And old shows like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and The Wire are still brought up a bunch, where as GoT just isn't, where as it was previously mentioned with those shows as examples of great "prestige" TV, and shows to go back in rewatch.

I think what hurt GoT more than most series that endings suck is that it had all this build up to stuff that you knew would be resolved at the end, so unlike a serialized show or what not it's harder to just stop watching when it starts to go bad. Like the wire, it's pretty easy to stop at season 4 if you want and you still get resolution to a lot of stuff. GoT not as much.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm not saying got will be remembered as a top 5 legendary show, I'm saying it hasn't been "memory holed" (quoted from this thread)

and that's easy to see because its prequel show that's in the same setting and done in the same style is being watched by tens of millions of people

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dramas rarely keep any steam after they're over, even when they dont shart the ending. but ones that do definitely get it worse. i dont think anyone remembers dexter fondly, or the walking dead, and people were going absolutely poo poo-flinging monkey for both those shows in the first half of their runs

e: i think dramas where the ending is telegraphed throughout the series, like sons of anarchy, or is one of a few obvious possible outcomes, like the americans, tend to be remembered more fondly and rewatched more frequently, because "i gotta know!!" is less of what pulls it along yhe first time thru

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 9, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Where’s my lost fans at

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i think how someone remembers lost depends entirely on how soon they made their peace with the idea that nothing was ever going to make any goddamn sense, whatsoever. early? probably remember it fondly, maybe even rewatched it. later? remembers it as meh, hasnt rewatched, likely never will. never? still mad. buys dvd copies at the thrift store and ritualistically destroys them in the fireplace

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

also, i :lost: the game

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

dramas rarely keep any steam after they're over, even when they dont shart the ending. but ones that do definitely get it worse.

tbh, people were livid at the sopranos' ending and the last season of the wire was a big step down. got probably just needs a few more years of new viewers binging it without all the built up expectations that weekly and seasonal breaks would give you.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

its weird but being cancelled by moronic executives is often one of the best things that can happen to a show, at least in terms of its legacy. freaks & geeks, deadwood, and firefly all come to mind. as evidenced by two of those shows getting fanservice movies to tie the stories off that dont seem to have been remembered nearly as fondly as the shows themselves

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

its the cobain-corrigan phenomenon. or vicious/rotton. seeing something age is never as satisfying as wondering what could have been

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
paddy considine is really good

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad we finally got an origin story on this guy

George RR Martin killed off Jackie Paper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7lmAc3LKWM

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Serenity is a way better movie than Firefly is a series.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Strategic Tea posted:

Serenity is a way better movie than Firefly is a series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zippy the Bummer posted:

paddy considine is really good

He's absolutely the best part of the show but I do have to admit I came around on Matt Smith flipping between amoral sociopath and loving family member.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Started watching this tonight. So far the highlight was the closeup of a dude's bare rear end farting while his balls got cut off. Unmatched so far in 3 episodes, I may soon get bored.

Feels like they didn't withhold enough, just gave it all away episode 1 to put the hooks in.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

great big cardboard tube posted:

Started watching this tonight. So far the highlight was the closeup of a dude's bare rear end farting while his balls got cut off.

I can just read you're posts for that kind of sensation

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I watched this video https://youtu.be/_9bQD9zLX2k?si=gqhvrjJnWHcZue-p

about TREMORS FEST 2023 and GRRM makes an appearance. Michael Gross is GRRM's neighbor in Sante Fe and he confirms that they sit around talking about trains all day

Lmao

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah this isnt really true though is it cuz people still cant shut the gently caress up about breaking bad or the sopranos can they

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

cumpantry posted:

yeah this isnt really true though is it cuz people still cant shut the gently caress up about breaking bad or the sopranos can they

https://youtu.be/5dCKtAnNOTE?si=XL98jX45l2e1-xR7

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cactus Ghost posted:

i think how someone remembers lost depends entirely on how soon they made their peace with the idea that nothing was ever going to make any goddamn sense, whatsoever. early? probably remember it fondly, maybe even rewatched it. later? remembers it as meh, hasnt rewatched, likely never will. never? still mad. buys dvd copies at the thrift store and ritualistically destroys them in the fireplace

I watched the pilot 2 epidodes of Lost and was "Ok, that was pretty good. But I can instantly tell they've no idea where they're going with this and are just going to make things up as they go along" and I stand by immediately Nope!-ing out on that basis.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cumpantry posted:

give it a couple years and that nostalgia train will come around for it, boosted by new viewers who won't have the baggage of watching it live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

I watched the pilot 2 epidodes of Lost and was "Ok, that was pretty good. But I can instantly tell they've no idea where they're going with this and are just going to make things up as they go along" and I stand by immediately Nope!-ing out on that basis.

see, i think thats the perfect mindset to enjoy the show. it's just a years long stream of consciousness narrative. naked lunch for network tv