Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Vegetable posted:

I don’t understand how there are these international tournaments that take place square in the middle of a footballing season lol. It seems like the kinda coordination problem an international or regional organization might be designed specifically to deal with

eurocentric much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
it'd be ideal if there were a midseason break the winter tournaments could fit into but that would just encourage fifa, not like they need it, to hold all world cups in the richest oil states for the rest of time

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On the years where the cups happen, there should be an attempt to move the club games. That’s what I mean. The people in charge all talk to one another and make things work. All of the authorities funnel up to FIFA one way or another; the hierarchy seems to exist for this kind of coordination. And yes that’s my point — they literally did this with the 2022 World Cup already.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ulio posted:

Every team is losing players due to AFCON except City who have no African players after Mahrez left.

Also Chelsea are losing only one player which is Nicholas Jackson which might save dumbass Pochetino's job.

Pep is at it again

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

eurocentric much?

As is all the money in football, and all the good football clubs, and 90% of the good international teams. Almost as if it’s a European sport.

The premier league matters more, noone is paying lots of money to watch the African or Asian cups.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

wooger posted:

As is all the money in football, and all the good football clubs, and 90% of the good international teams. Almost as if it’s a European sport.

The premier league matters more, noone is paying lots of money to watch the African or Asian cups.

Lol wotta oval office.

May as well do away with the lower leagues as well, they just get in the way.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
we should have some kind of competition where only the biggest best teams play each other so we don't have to waste time with everything else

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wooger posted:

Japanese national team is easily top five in revenue among national teams, and Japanese business is all over sponsorship of Asian Cup and World Cup qualifiers. It’s them and Saudi essentially.

Just because the FIFA window for northern hemisphere summer traditionally has the World Cup and Euros and there’s either offseason (for European leagues) or a stronger break for others (like MLS and the J-League) doesn’t mean the African Cup or Asian Cup are less deserving or prestigious among those national teams.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What to watch today? None of the matchups seem too interesting

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're open to non-PL then Celtic / Rangers is on now, Palace v Brentford later this afternoon should be a decent one as well

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
both non 3pms have potential for something very funny. as for 3pms i think wolves everton could be really good

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah Wolves are in great form and Everton have dropped back a bit

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're open to non-PL then Celtic / Rangers is on now, Palace v Brentford later this afternoon should be a decent one as well

Ah, cool. Never watched this league. I put it on

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

wooger posted:

Been saying this op, it's also why we should get rid of women's football and generally speaking any sport where people are not "paying lots of money to watch"!

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

it's golf all the way down

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
You can't use total revenue in nominal terms to determine which country loves football the most because of 'income effects' -- in wealthy countries, everything costs more. The advanced stat you want is revenue from football as a share of GDP:
F_REVENUE / GDP

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

J Hume posted:

You can't use total revenue in nominal terms to determine which country loves football the most because of 'income effects' -- in wealthy countries, everything costs more. The advanced stat you want is revenue from football as a share of GDP:
F_REVENUE / GDP

Based on the fact that players choose where to go based on love of the game and the fans, I'm guessing Saudi Arabia.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

probably some fail-rear end island state with two dozen people on it where there's nothing to do except sports or getting eaten by dingoes

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i don't know when the transfer window thread gets posted but Hugo Lloris to LAFC is a done deal. farewell hugo. you spent a decade at our silly football club without winning poo poo, made some great saves and also a poo poo tonne of clangers in your last season but so did everyone. enjoy the palm trees.

https://twitter.com/lafc/status/1741172161833017456?s=46

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i don't know when the transfer window thread gets posted but Hugo Lloris to LAFC is a done deal. farewell hugo. you spent a decade at our silly football club without winning poo poo, made some great saves and also a poo poo tonne of clangers in your last season but so did everyone. enjoy the palm trees.

https://twitter.com/lafc/status/1741172161833017456?s=46

Larkhall Athletic??

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pooshited

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
MANCHESTER UNITED IN CRISIS

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Now just 1 differential away from falling below Chelsea which is incredible.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Arsenal’s meltdown is happening [checks calendar] a few weeks earlier this season, but that’s global climate change for you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We're just saving all the goals for the FA cup tie

:sludgepal:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Spurs might sign a centre back this week.

:stare: :pray:

Rumours are that it's a romanian guy called dragusin from genoa.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Transfer thread

Someone who can post images without logging in can do the Jan thread

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jippa posted:

Spurs might sign a centre back this week.

:stare: :pray:

Rumours are that it's a romanian guy called dragusin from genoa.

The last Romanian CB for spurs worked out so well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Made one for January. Now I can spend the rest of the year shitposting about Man U to avoid my anxiety about the Liverpool boom bust cycle:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050880