Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

With Pantani, and cycling in general, everyone learned that investigating and punishing this or even just investigating with no punishment, will only kill the sport and then everyone makes less money. cycling used to be huge. There is no "integrity" to be saved. People didn't see the Lance Armstrong case and think cycling had been cleaned up, they thought the whole sport was rotten.

In football it was in the interest of everyone financially involved to pretend that Pep didn't get caught doping twice.

Excellent post. See also athletics struggling with sponsorship Vs tennis having djokovic openly fake results from a lab and have a public meltdown at the being asked to provide a pre game sample whilst everyone marvels at how healthy he is from good old fashioned hard work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Let's not forget all the blood bags the Spanish courts ordered destroyed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TheRat posted:

Let's not forget all the blood bags the Spanish courts ordered destroyed.

Yeah, from memory it was a cycling-related doctor who also was going to open up about football (gee wonder who he’d squeal about in Spanish football) but then nothing really came of it?

You do wonder what happened with like the (in)famous Milan Lab, I know it’s still running but are they just not injecting as much cubic money as Prem teams or what.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Excellent post. See also athletics struggling with sponsorship Vs tennis having djokovic openly fake results from a lab and have a public meltdown at the being asked to provide a pre game sample whilst everyone marvels at how healthy he is from good old fashioned hard work.

don't forget he refuses to take a covid vaccine still lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

harperdc posted:

Yeah, from memory it was a cycling-related doctor who also was going to open up about football (gee wonder who he’d squeal about in Spanish football) but then nothing really came of it?

You do wonder what happened with like the (in)famous Milan Lab, I know it’s still running but are they just not injecting as much cubic money as Prem teams or what.

the prem just runs on jamie vardy take of 3 red bulls, a triple espresso and rinsing his mouth out with more red bull running onto the pitch on match days

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
All the top teams can run and press at full pelt for 90+ minutes because they eat a balanced breakfast

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
djokovic is the biggest dope fraud of them all

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nadal was probably worse

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/28/blair-was-keen-to-relocate-wimbledon-fc-to-belfast-in-late-1990s-papers-show

quote:

Blair was keen to relocate Wimbledon FC to Belfast in late 1990s, papers show

The former prime minister Sir Tony Blair was keen on an idea to relocate the Premier League football side Wimbledon FC to Belfast in the late 1990s.

Previously confidential state papers include a note from 1997 described as “following up earlier informal discussions about the possibility of an English Premier League football club relocating to Belfast”.

It was described as something that would be a “significant breakthrough if Belfast had a football team playing in the English Premier League”, and “should be able to build up strong cross-community support and provide a positive unifying force in a divided city”.

It was also mooted that it would come with a principally private sector-funded modern 40,000-seater sports stadium, and potentially an academy for sport, located on Queen’s Island in east Belfast or the North Foreshore site in the north of the city.

The note suggested that Wimbledon FC would undergo a name change to Belfast United.

It was leaked to the Belfast Telegraph, which published a story reporting that the secretary of state, Mo Mowlam, was throwing her weight behind the idea, to bring new investment to Northern Ireland and boost its image on the international stage.

However, the article also noted that football bosses in Northern Ireland were concerned it could “kill off the game in Northern Ireland”.

As well as Mowlam, Downing Street also took an interest in the proposal, with a note by chief press secretary, Alastair Campbell, urging that the Wimbledon’s owner, Sam Hammam, “had explored the possibility of moving Wimbledon to Dublin, but this seems to have come to naught”.

He added that Hammam had seen media reports of Northern Ireland’s interest and “was keen to know whether this was serious, or speculation, leading nowhere”.

A memo dated 16 July 1998 – just months after the Belfast/Good Friday agreement was signed – indicated Blair was keen on the idea.

It recorded Blair’s view was that “it would be excellent if Wimbledon were to move to Belfast and we should encourage this as much as possible”.

But another note, dated 17 August 1998, described the matter as being at a “delicate stage”, recording that the Irish football authorities “continue to resist the idea strongly”.

It said that the three local newspapers had welcomed it, and that the TV presenter Eamonn Holmes “has been active in collecting public support”.

“If the Irish football authorities are to adjust their position, it will have to be achieved by local pressure, probably with government remaining in the background,” the note records. It suggested that Hammam was encouraged to visit Belfast “in order to assess the seriousness of his interest”.

A letter to Mowlam in April 1999 by a member of the Bring Premier League Soccer to Northern Ireland group detailed discussions with the UK sports minister at the time, Lord Dubs, and Hammam, but noted continuing opposition by the football authorities in Northern Ireland.

They wrote that “difficult, intense, open, honest debate, discussion and negotiation is required”, but said the prize was “indeed great and potentially magnificent. A situation similar to the peace process”.

The idea is not mentioned again in the file, after which attention shifted to proposals to build a new national stadium for Northern Ireland for the millennium.

Wimbledon FC remained in England and relocated to Milton Keynes in 2003 and now play in the fourth tier of English football as Milton Keynes Dons.

This would surely have been an unparalleled disaster. Shame it didn't happen.

gaelach
Dec 5, 2023

on the topic of unparalleled disasters, alastair campbell tried raising the idea of holding a match between celtic and rangers in the six counties to “bolster peace”, with both teams wearing the other team’s shirt for the match. new labour was wild

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue1U9Se6jQI

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

gaelach posted:

on the topic of unparalleled disasters, alastair campbell tried raising the idea of holding a match between celtic and rangers in the six counties to “bolster peace”, with both teams wearing the other team’s shirt for the match. new labour was wild

lol, lmao and loving rofl

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gaelach posted:

lol

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

gaelach posted:

Everything about new labour makes sense when you remember Blair was an insane cultist who gave final veto on all policies to a telephone psychic his wife liked.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gaelach posted:

lmao

harperdc posted:

The guy got caught for doping cyclists, but according to him his clinic served cyclists, footballers, and tennis players, and he once memorably said that if he named names they would take away Spain's 2010 World Cup. Then the Spanish courts ordered him to destroy all the bags and never name names, for what I'm sure were just practical and above-board legal reasons.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Brendan Rodgers posted:

With Pantani, and cycling in general, everyone learned that investigating and punishing this or even just investigating with no punishment, will only kill the sport and then everyone makes less money. cycling used to be huge. There is no "integrity" to be saved. People didn't see the Lance Armstrong case and think cycling had been cleaned up, they thought the whole sport was rotten.

In football it was in the interest of everyone financially involved to pretend that Pep didn't get caught doping twice.

A post of such high quality is rarely seen these days 👏

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Nice Uncle Roy might be getting a P45 as a late Christmas present

quote:

Palace face Brentford at Selhurst Park on Saturday with Hodgson aware that his job is on the line despite his triumphant return to the club last season when he replaced Patrick Vieira after a 12-match winless run and guided Palace to 11th place. Cooper is believed to be available without having to pay compensation to Forest, with Parish having spoken to the former England Under-17 manager about taking over in the summer.

The former Wolves manager Julen Lopetegui has also been spotted at Selhurst Park in recent weeks and would be an experienced option, while the Lille manager, Paulo Fonseca, and Oliver Glasner, who has been out of work since leaving Eintracht Frankfurt in the summer, both have their supporters in the Palace boardroom.

I said Steve Cooper would be out of work for about 10 minutes, feeling vindicated. Sad to see someone on the brink of getting sacked from his boyhood club, he was there when they played their home games in the original Crystal Palace

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would be interesting to hear from the Palace board where they think the club should be and how it’s Roy’s fault

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Thanks Ants posted:

Would be interesting to hear from the Palace board where they think the club should be and how it’s Roy’s fault

I think that implies any strategic thinking beyond “it’s nearly January and Luton are gaining on us” panic.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Tbh palace are playing good football, they been unlucky lately and were the better team against Chelsea (who isn't heyooooo). They got some really good players which they seem to hang their hats on, but I guess short termism is a PL trait.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tbf there's also the thing where Hodgson is 76 years old, has retired once, and only has a contract through the end of the season

he's not a long-term option by definition, but I will still lol when he comes back again next season after new lad is bottom at christmas

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Palace look pretty good tbh, there’s only so much you can do with their caliber of players

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
at least one of olise/eze is gonna be gone in the summer as well

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Roy could lose every game from now until he actually retires and he'd still be one of the greats for the laughing-at-Pep moment

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Think it’s less a verdict on the results and more a panicked look towards a January cold snap.

How affected by AFCON are Palace gonna be as well?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

Think it’s less a verdict on the results and more a panicked look towards a January cold snap.

How affected by AFCON are Palace gonna be as well?

They'll lose Ayew and Schlupp playing for Ghana, and Doucore playing for Mali.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Every team is losing players due to AFCON except City who have no African players after Mahrez left.

Also Chelsea are losing only one player which is Nicholas Jackson which might save dumbass Pochetino's job.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Palace should be ok, Doucoure is out for the season anyway and Schlupp hasn't been in the last couple of Ghana squads. Most teams have got one or two first team players out for a few weeks, but I think Newcastle are unaffected as well as City. Spurs losing Sarr and Bissouma means they'll hopefully field an entire team of wide players at some point, which should be good for non-stop Angeball highscores. Onana and Amrabat being out is possibly a net positive?

RIP Forest though
  • Serge Aurier (Ivory Coast)
  • Willy Boly (Ivory Coast)
  • Ibrahim Sangare (Ivory Coast)
  • Cheikhou Kouyate (Senegal)
  • Moussa Niakhate (Senegal)
  • Ola Aina (Nigeria)
  • Taiwo Awoniyi (Nigeria)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ulio posted:

Every team is losing players due to AFCON except City who have no African players after Mahrez left.

Also Chelsea are losing only one player which is Nicholas Jackson which might save dumbass Pochetino's job.

Arsenal are fine as well really since Partey is 'injured' most of the time and Mo hardly every plays

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Aren’t Spurs doubly hosed by Son’s involvement in the Asian games?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Yeah it's bad

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Son and Hwang are the two big ones missing for the Asian Cup, and Liverpool will miss Endo. Mitoma might not even travel depending on his injury, and Tomiyasu is out either way. Other than that I think it's just Ghoddos at Brentford.

I think Spurs would have been ok if it was just the tournament players missing, but obviously now the squad is paper thin anyway. Maddison could be back soon and let's go Veliz, I guess? Bissouma might not be gone too long, Mali aren't one of the favourites.

All of this brought to you by someone who is probably taking fantasy football a bit too seriously this year

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Rangers have signed Fabio Silva on loan from Wolves to make a mockery of the January transfer window. Is it a done deal if FIFA aren’t open to sanction it?

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Ulio posted:

Eto'o and Yaya Toure were right.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wazzerphuk posted:

Son and Hwang are the two big ones missing for the Asian Cup, and Liverpool will miss Endo. Mitoma might not even travel depending on his injury, and Tomiyasu is out either way. Other than that I think it's just Ghoddos at Brentford.

I think Spurs would have been ok if it was just the tournament players missing, but obviously now the squad is paper thin anyway. Maddison could be back soon and let's go Veliz, I guess? Bissouma might not be gone too long, Mali aren't one of the favourites.

All of this brought to you by someone who is probably taking fantasy football a bit too seriously this year

Ya spurs are definitely the most hurt. Mali haven't announced their squad yet I believe but if they take Everton's Doucoure their midfield is stacked and their group is easy. It seems Doucoure has some issues with the managers or fa so he hasn't featured regularly despite being one of their best players.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t understand how there are these international tournaments that take place square in the middle of a footballing season lol. It seems like the kinda coordination problem an international or regional organization might be designed specifically to deal with

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I don’t understand how there are these international tournaments that take place square in the middle of a footballing season lol. It seems like the kinda coordination problem an international or regional organization might be designed specifically to deal with

It’s so loving dumb

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

They literally held the World Cup during the middle of the season last year. You know, the thing they spend a decade organizing.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
drat i wonder why african countries don't host their international tournament during the summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Nuclear Spoon posted:

drat i wonder why african countries don't host their international tournament during the summer

cup tied