Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Kalli posted:

Much like being a bust, you're one until proven otherwise.

one what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

prize pig

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Hot take:

Josh Allen is not a great QB. He's exciting but turns the ball over too much and hurts his team almost as much as he helps.
I'd still take that over the Alex Smith experience where you're 7-3 every year but you still wanna die.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richcimini/status/1732093720021926202?s=46

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Grim!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Only about 10 weeks too late

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Brock Purdy is probably the best QB in the NFC. He's not flashy but god drat can he carve up a defense.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
High ankle sprain for Lawrence. He could be back before the end of the regular season.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rypien looked so bad against Green Bay that he was cut the very next day. Can't imagine he'll look any better against the Texans and Dolphins.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Hey! Don't snipe our practice QB! He is not even as good as Drew Lock!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

At what point is Purdy good? He's now got 1 years worth of games and is 14-3 and I believe is leading in completion % YPA and rating during that time. Plus he is 2-incomplete in the playoffs.

He lost to the Cleveland Browns football team. Good status: declined.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jake Browning vs. Gardner Minshew hell yeah Apple Cup Rematch in the NFL.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Brock Purdy is probably the best QB in the NFC. He's not flashy but god drat can he carve up a defense.

Sport is cooked.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

At what point is Purdy good? He's now got 1 years worth of games and is 14-3 and I believe is leading in completion % YPA and rating during that time. Plus he is 2-incomplete in the playoffs.

After last week he's literally the betting favourite for mvp, I think most people are on board.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

wandler20 posted:

He definitely can run Shanahan's system and that seems to be a knock against him somehow in the media?

This recent opinion piece sums up nicely how I feel about Purdy. I'm happy he's QB1 for the Niners rather than Handsome James.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/12/4/23987592/brock-purdy-mvp-49ers-nfl

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

Patrick Mahomes is the only good QB.

Funny way to spell CJ Stroud

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

He lost to the Cleveland Browns football team. Good status: declined.

Are casual fans not aware of the Browns defense this season?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

trilljester posted:

He definitely can run Shanahan's system and that seems to be a knock against him somehow in the media?

People say, "Brock Purdy is only good because of his weapons and coach," and I hear, "Every other QB in the NFL has trash targets and coaches that belong in Pop Warner."

The stupidest argument.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vox Nihili posted:

High ankle sprain for Lawrence. He could be back before the end of the regular season.

That's good news that it wasn't worse.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If you're a good QB, you're good because of the players around you. If you're a bad QB, it's your OC/OL/NoWeaponz. This is basic stuff, y'all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Coldforge posted:

People say, "Brock Purdy is only good because of his weapons and coach," and I hear, "Every other QB in the NFL has trash targets and coaches that belong in Pop Warner."

The stupidest argument.

Yeah. That referenced article is the bad narrative. If it is so easy in the 49ers offense, why didn't JG excel like this? Why didn't anyone else? Some of the throws Purdy is making the majority of QBs never even attempt. Not because they are bad throws, but because it looks like he is throwing into a future the throw is creating.

I think people are just mad that he isn't a 1st round hyper athlete that fits conventional narratives.

quote:

they’re almost the same guy stats wise.

Jimmy Garoppolo (2021): 3,810 yards (68.3% cmp), 8.6 YPA, 20 TD, 12 INT — 98.7 rating
Brock Purdy (2023, projected): 4,512 yards (70.2% cmp), 9.6 YPA, 33 TD, 9 INT — 116.1 rating

Yeah, almost the same. Did the author even looks at what he wrote?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 5, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Coldforge posted:

The stupidest argument.

I think Purdy outplaying Hurts, who has the best o-line in the league and Brown/Smith/Swift, in Philly in a game everyone watched probably helps dispel that argument. Haters gonna hate but there are lots of "I was wrong about Purdy" going around in the national media.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah. That referenced article is the bad narrative. If it is so easy in the 49ers offense, why didn't JG excel like this? Why didn't anyone else? Some of the throws Purdy is making the majority of QBs never even attempt. Not because they are bad throws, but because it looks like he is throwing into a future the throw is creating.

I think people are just mad that he isn't a 1st round hyper athlete that fits conventional narratives.

Jimmy G did, he went to a superbowl. He just was made of glass and not actually that good despite putting up good numbers, so they spent a fortune to try and move on from him.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The 49ers went to the Superbowl with Jimmy G and a marginally worse roster. Purdy is good but is also the least impressive 49er on the majority of his passing plays.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--He's definitely got all of the support but I kinda walked away from thinking like this after watching the post Kurt Warner Cardinals and thinking that anyone would be pretty ok in that offense. Which...they were not. Gotta give credit where it's due.

Waltzing Along posted:

Or you remember watching him at Iowa State which I still struggle with matching up with what he's doing in the league. We all spent so much time going 'Oh big time recruit huh?' and making fun of him doing nothing particularly special when things went wrong.

Most of that is probably just Iowa State, but it was really easy to do. In other news good by Iowa State standards could possibly mean that you're pretty good now and then.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 5, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The 49ers went to the Superbowl with Jimmy G and a marginally worse roster. Purdy is good but is also the least impressive 49er on the majority of his passing plays.

This is a big exaggeration, he throws guys open all the time. Throwing the ball before a guy even breaks is a lot more impressive than Juan Jennings running a very straightforward comeback route.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
That article reads like it was written to argue for both Purdy being the MVP and not being the MVP and could probably use an editing pass (or less editorial I dont know), but maybe that was the point :shrug:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I still don't really "believe" in Brock Purdy but he's clearly pretty decent and good enough to drive the tank that is the Niners otherworldly offensive talent. I do expect the Niners will finally fall off a cliff when Purdy gets paid. Unfortunately for the rest of the NFL Purdy doesn't get paid until 2026 so we have at least 2 more seasons after this one of the Niners dominating the league.

BTW did you know Christian McCaffery's cap hit for this year is 3.2MM?? Aiyuk is only 4MM. What sorcery has constructed this loving roster.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Can't wait to see how the Ravens shoot themselves in the balls this season, hopefully it's something novel and not another injury or 4th quarter collapse

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

I hope it's a second loss to the Steelers

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Swap Tua and Purdy, which team does better?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Purdy is much more efficient, and careful with the ball than Jimmy G. He seems to have a very good understanding of when to be aggressive and when to play it safe. Unlike Jimmy G who would throw the dumbest possible interception with the game in the balance. Also, no self-preservation skills.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

Can't wait to see how the Ravens shoot themselves in the balls this season, hopefully it's something novel and not another injury or 4th quarter collapse

another inexplicable home loss to the Colts probably

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Purdy is much more efficient, and careful with the ball than Jimmy G. He seems to have a very good understanding of when to be aggressive and when to play it safe. Unlike Jimmy G who would throw the dumbest possible interception with the game in the balance. Also, no self-preservation skills.

Purdy can reliably hit the deep routes and with Auyik that's always a threat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Are casual fans not aware of the Browns defense this season?

The browns have allowed 25+ like 6 times

For comparison the Green Bay Packers, a bad defense has only allowed that twice

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Purdy and Dak are presently the vegas odds favorites at every book for MVP. Dak has an edge at one or two books and Purdy and two or three. At the rest they're both even.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kalli posted:

Jimmy G did, he went to a superbowl. He just was made of glass and not actually that good despite putting up good numbers, so they spent a fortune to try and move on from him.

You know this isn't true, why say it? Jimmy played very well in Shanahan's system, but he never excelled "like this." Even if you isolate Jimmy's SB (and best) year and compare it to Purdy's career (lol) stats, there are similar numbers, but Purdy is clearly better.

Brock does everything Jimmy could do in the system and he does it better, and he gives Shanahan more options.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Purdy and Dak are presently the vegas odds favorites at every book for MVP. Dak has an edge at one or two books and Purdy and two or three. At the rest they're both even.

Purdy over CMC?? Interesting...

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I hope Dak wins MVP just to watch the Cowboys hilariously flame out in the playoffs.

Hopefully at his own hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Buffalo is actually less screwed than I thought. I even snuck them in with three more losses, though it would take complete meltdowns from HOU and PIT.