Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm doing found photo stuff again, this time I bought a projector and it came with 3 cases of slides:
https://cohost.org/Found-Photos?page=0

So I also thought we should have a found photo thread. Digital, film, slides, whatever, I don't care. Here's some stuff from the latest batch I scanned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have a huge box of negatives of all different sizes going back something like a hundred years. I've been picking away at scanning them: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB9Ckm

Scan-20240113-41 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Scan-20240110-137 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Scan-20240110-130 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Scan-20240110-117 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
i love this genre and could look at vintage film of unknown providence for hours

im suddenly inspired to check if the internet k-hole blog still exists...

it does!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

maxe posted:

i love this genre and could look at vintage film of unknown providence for hours

im suddenly inspired to check if the internet k-hole blog still exists...

it does!

I got my moneys worth:

I see a good amount of slides at various sales around here. Probably some good early Boeing stuff in attics around here. Maybe I’ll find DB Cooper.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hey the thread's alive, here's some more kodachrome

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Someone pointed me to the thread and I thought I'd drop by and post some of my finds! There's a flea market here in Greece that's mostly made up of things people throw in the trash and it's been breaking my heart seeing 100 year old photos get thrown away when they don't sell or get destroyed by rain, so I've been buying them up.

Egyptian Greek woman, Kairo, 1941.

Portrait, Athens.

Greek Costume, postcard, 1959.
Photographer: Emm. Diacakis

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fantastic stuff, I really love the (probably 30s - 40s) soft focus portrait there.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
These are pretty unremarkable but I enjoy them for historical purposes.

First one is the Seattle skyline circa 1960. Smith tower is the tallest building around. No space needle, no cranes.

This one is maybe on a tv set? Or a stage show of some sort. Either way, looks like there’s a dream sequence about to happen.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I love the VW dealership and the second last one. Great stuff.

I edited them a little bit, black and white points to the edges then clicked around with a grey point until it looked right to me

Megabound fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 8, 2024

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
All of my found film has come from undeveloped rolls in ancient cameras from ebay or thrift shops. Developing the stuff can be challenging and the results are often... bittersweet.

This was some Tri-X from an ebay purchase.

Whoever that kid may be, they're at least 15 years older than I am at this point.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megabound posted:

I love the VW dealership and the second last one. Great stuff.

I edited them a little bit, black and white points to the edges then clicked around with a grey point until it looked right to me

Nice! I didn’t mess with colors I’ll give that a shot next round.

I’m pretty sure that symmetrical one got some votes in one of our contests recently.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Not a personal find but I’ve been following this guy whose been digitizing the huge amount of photos his grandfather took long ago

https://ablankwall.uk/pages/discover

quote:

This is the result of discovering over 80,000 photographs, untouched and unseen for decades.

In December 2021, a large crate, covered in messy handwriting and wrapped in bin bags, was opened in a garage near London, U.K.

These were photographs taken by my late Grandfather Herbert Smith, who travelled around the world between 1945-87, taking photos as he went.

By the time he passed away in the late 1980s, he had travelled to over forty countries, as far flung as Afghanistan, Japan, New Zealand and Guatemala. Many of these places were visited at a time totally unrecognisable today.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That's really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost