Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
every time a computer gets faster, they figure out how to make them slow again. everything is a memory leaky electron app now. we got ssds, but then programs and games just got bigger so they take just as long to load. it’s like computers where at their best in the 80s when the OS would fit in ROM and you just needed the floppy drive to save files

otoh you could say, that electron and or web apps make software more platform agnostic, so who is to say if it’s bad or good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

see also: maybe we should legislate max power usage on computers because running a 750 watt beast to load spreadsheets is dumb.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

see also: maybe we should legislate max power usage on computers because running a 750 watt beast to load spreadsheets is dumb.

you may find this page interesting OP

https://wiki.xxiivv.com/site/permacomputing.html

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I did thanks op

matti
Mar 31, 2019

they were the same speed until the m1 macbook air

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
computers have gotten faster but javascript has destroyed all progress by eating every extra cycle

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

my computer is hella fast, not sure what all your problems are. maybe you're using them wrong??

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've got a game running at 120 FPS while watching an episode of MythBusters and voice chatting with friends though an electron app and my machine's using less than 300 watts with less than half of its utilization and I don't remember being able to do anything like that in 2003 so idk op it seems pretty fast to me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

or maybe no? im not sure

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus christ that's a lot of crap to do at once.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im gonna say no, op

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i think a more nuanced take is probably that computers ARE faster but the things they do have gotten WORSE

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

ask better questions op

faster at what?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kazinsal posted:

I've got a game running at 120 FPS while watching an episode of MythBusters and voice chatting with friends though an electron app and my machine's using less than 300 watts with less than half of its utilization and I don't remember being able to do anything like that in 2003 so idk op it seems pretty fast to me

is your brain ok???

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Kazinsal posted:

have you considered ritalin?

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

this thread: computer too slow

also this thread: whoa whoa whoa this guy using computer too fast

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

computers are pretty fast op the only people whining abotu electron apps are the same people who "use computer" by staring at utilisation stats all day

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

git apologist posted:

computers are pretty fast op the only people whining abotu electron apps are the same people who "use computer" by staring at utilisation stats all day

i utilized my computer today

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
they have despite all attempts by programmers to erase the continued efforts of hardware engineers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yes they are faster but not proportionally to the rate of improvement. I have 1000x the amount of ram, 20x the number of cores, each of which is 100x faster, and 100x the disk IO speed of a computer I had 25 years ago. but it feels about 5x faster.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is all in our stupid brain, btw. if you sat in front of a 100 mhz pentium machine running windows 98 on a pata hard drive and tried to do your normal workflow your eyes would bleed. opening a single browser window would take tens of seconds.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you’re right I guess. doing anything on a computer used to be An Event. SSDs were the big game changer

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

maybe computers shouldn't be faster

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

you’re right I guess. doing anything on a computer used to be An Event. SSDs were the big game changer

what about pciex16

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I dunno what’s pciex16 with you?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wasting computation to make ones job easier is fine, cool and good if you're a person making something for an end-user, basically when you're making a *purpose* for the computer.

a small team making a cool game gets to burn as many cycles as they want if it still runs acceptably and doing so lets them do more. a computer toucher writing an inefficient little tool that 5 people will use but will save everyone some work time so they can head home early, very nice. computers getting faster -> more cool stuff like that.

putting hideously architected javascript into your boring as hell desktop environment to render an icon and maybe show the time is waste (see e.g. gnome poo poo), making your platform stuff slow because you're a snowflake about it being clean or other basically bikeshed stuff is a waste (see e.g. electron and python), and so on. vast majority of code in the world is the top of its own stack, so make the stack efficient.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
as someone who's spent time hand writing simd code to speed up low-level functions, the very idea that some rear end in a top hat out there is adding two integers using javascript when it could be done with a single instruction infuriates me to my very core and makes me visibly shake with barely restrained rage

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

The Management posted:

this is all in our stupid brain, btw. if you sat in front of a 100 mhz pentium machine running windows 98 on a pata hard drive and tried to do your normal workflow your eyes would bleed. opening a single browser window would take tens of seconds.

Speedwise, the library catalog peaked with Dynix and that was 30 years ago

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

as someone who's spent time hand writing simd code to speed up low-level functions, the very idea that some rear end in a top hat out there is adding two integers using javascript when it could be done with a single instruction infuriates me to my very core and makes me visibly shake with barely restrained rage

adding 2 numbers in javascript and thinking of u

might also round the result by casting to a string and using a regex idk

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Pull over, that computer too fast
(Too fast)
Hit the ATM and grab mo' cash
(Mo' cash)
Yes Lord, feelin' like a new man
(Yes, Lord!)
I was dreaming in the life then I woke up in the

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nobody is doing this.

JavaScript doesn’t have integers.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i simply send a request to our arithmetic microservice whenever i need to add numbers together

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

impossible, a bunch of twitter grognards assure me that everything* back then opened instantaneously on a 386

*everything being dos EDIT.COM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My computer hasn't gotten any faster since I put it together, no.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

well-read undead posted:

adding 2 numbers in javascript and thinking of u

might also round the result by casting to a string and using a regex idk

Elder Postsman posted:

i simply send a request to our arithmetic microservice whenever i need to add numbers together

i am literally foaming at the mouth right now

tk posted:

Nobody is doing this.

JavaScript doesn’t have integers.

using whatever loving bespoke ersatz integers that shitheap uses, then

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

using whatever loving bespoke ersatz integers that shitheap uses, then

did you know that by adding a mere 100 extra instructions around each instance of it you can make the fpu reliably do 53 bit integer math?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it's not even a wrapper around floating point, they have a bigint type that is arbitrary precision aka implemented with digit strings. at no point during the addition of two javascript integers are the two integers themselves passed to an add instruction

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

computers are ridiculously fast at computing these days. but for some reason resharper is still dogshit slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
there are no types. variables are simply beeps and boops in memory. you fools. you ignoramuses