Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

as someone who's spent time hand writing simd code to speed up low-level functions, the very idea that some rear end in a top hat out there is adding two integers using javascript when it could be done with a single instruction infuriates me to my very core and makes me visibly shake with barely restrained rage

yeah i also get furious when fuel combusts in my engine and most of the energy is wasted through heat and i get some meager amount of rotational force to the drive wheels. it makes me break down in tears crying and making GBS threads myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

computers are ridiculously fast at computing these days. but for some reason resharper is still dogshit slow.

To be fair, it does have to parse your code.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

git apologist posted:

it makes me break down in tears crying and making GBS threads myself

cmon we both know that's overdetermined

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

as someone who's spent time hand writing simd code to speed up low-level functions, the very idea that some rear end in a top hat out there is adding two integers using javascript when it could be done with a single instruction infuriates me to my very core and makes me visibly shake with barely restrained rage

ill do you one better

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

git apologist posted:

yeah i also get furious when fuel combusts in my engine and most of the energy is wasted through heat and i get some meager amount of rotational force to the drive wheels. it makes me break down in tears crying and making GBS threads myself

yeah, this too

i'm pretty much angry all the time tbh

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

fart simpson posted:

ill do you one better

why can't you use a ti83 to graph functions like a normal person?

and yes i also hate node-based visual editors for shaders/procedural generation, but in my defense i'm used to encountering them in the context of real-time stuff on fairly low-power hardware. i'm not too keen on wasting some of that 16ms of gpu time on boilerplate generated shader code that the compiler "should" have optimized away

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

why can't you use a ti83 to graph functions like a normal person?

and yes i also hate node-based visual editors for shaders/procedural generation, but in my defense i'm used to encountering them in the context of real-time stuff on fairly low-power hardware. i'm not too keen on wasting some of that 16ms of gpu time on boilerplate generated shader code that the compiler "should" have optimized away

if you have to ask youll never know

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Doesnt matter how fast the PC is when I have to use some cloud hosted laggy pos browser app for work

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
That said... modern PCs are an absolute treat for games.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use a ps5

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
my dad‘s Mac mini from around 2010 is pretty slow, OP

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
adobe reader is still slow as poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
drat if it isnt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

you’re right I guess. doing anything on a computer used to be An Event. SSDs were the big game changer

*stymie enters the chat*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

git apologist posted:

you had me at making GBS threads yourself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

make every variable an int64 just in case the number might one day ever get a bit big

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
If you like using Linux, as long as you use a simple window manager, things happen in the blink of an eye for web surfing, productivity, etc. I purposely run Bohdi Linux because of this. Even on 2016 5775 i7 with crappy Intel graphics boot is in 5 seconds, and with Firefox with 12 tabs, only using 2.1 gb of memory. Not till the M1 chip in my MacBook Air, did a computer feel revolutionary fast to use for the first time since my Core 2 Duo quad with an SSD running Vista SP2 x64.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

I Miss Snausages posted:

If you like using Linux,

that is a hell of a caveat there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA