Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I was at a thrift store earlier perusing the books and a Guinness Book of World Records from 2000 caught my eye. Not because I really gave a poo poo about it, but because it was such a paltry thin book with a foil cover to make it stand out. When I was a kid, I remember Guinness Books being these hefty almanacs chock full of records and facts, and the fact that this book from 2000 was around a quarter of the older books made me think they’re not the cultural thing they once were and haven’t been for some time.

Maybe they got so far up their rear end with weird new records no one cared about like “most ‘Baby Got Back’s sung in a row while spanking your bare rear end to the beat and hopping on one foot with the other leg draped around your neck”? Like, I haven’t even thought about any new records being broken since that book from 2000 was originally printed. Does anyone really care anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
You give enough of a poo poo to make a thread about it so apparently there's at least one

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i think you just pay to have a rep show up and you can break any dumbass record. we should probably sponsor a talented goon to uhhh.... break the record of carrying a printer the farthest.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
The internet mostly killed it. They also largely got rid of the weird exploitative parts about the people with medical conditions or obvious mental disorders, so now it's all feats of skill or dumb poo poo like 'biggest quiche lorraine'

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Is it still the same woman who has the longest toe nails?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I hold the world record of most ‘Baby Got Back’s sung in a row while spanking your bare rear end to the beat and hopping on one foot with the other leg draped around your neck OP

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Guinness World Records is full of amazing world records, giving players the opportunity to become a real world record breaker. The game's quick-fire action challenges can be played solo, in teams, or in competitive multi-player groups. Accessible game mechanics enable anyone to grow the longest fingernails ever seen; to walk a tightrope across the Grand Canyon; or even eat a jumbo jet. But true skill and dedication will be required to compete at the highest level. The ultimate prize: you may see your name appear in the official Guinness World Records book.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
No, op

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

They don't vet well enough for anyone to care anymore.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
It's basically a grift and you can just slip them some cash to get in there. See: Tommy Tallarico

120623_3
Dec 7, 2023
so stagnant that Care is sacrificed.........

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
10 years ago I was in the qualifiers for most amount of time spinning a book on finger and this sexy man beat me by 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlEVQagAUNE

Look at him go!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

EorayMel posted:

I hold the world record of most ‘Baby Got Back’s sung in a row while spanking your bare rear end to the beat and hopping on one foot with the other leg draped around your neck OP

Well, now you’re gonna have to show the whole thread :colbert:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Guinness world records have a side gig where they will sell basically anyone an official looking plaque for cash. These people don’t go in the book.

Hbomberguy did a video about some insane video game music guy who bought like 7 world records.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Billy Mitchell cares

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Depends, is that photo of the fat motorcycle twins still in it?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I used to get all those weird fact books that had little blurbs about how hard it was to kill Rasputin or how those huge hairstyles of the French court had to be cracked open to release vermin. I thought Guinness would be full of more weird facts, like the oldest gravesite ever found or the most complicated lock ever created or some poo poo.

But no, like the above poster said, it was dorks slapping their asses to Baby Got Back the most times.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Brutal dictatorships do OP.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Ride To Hell Retribution 2 looking good

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

this should at least be a whole tv show.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Congratulations on the world's worst post, OP.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

YoursTruly posted:

Congratulations on the world's worst post, OP.

Not even close

I've made worse this year

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Whoa, records for "Biggest pizza slice in the world" alongside "most child slaves killed making biggest pizza slice in the world", hell yeah for Saudi Arabia!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The progression of World's Tallest Flagpole has gone North Korea > Azerbaijan > Tajikistan > Saudi Arabia > Egypt.

Russia/Iran/Turkmenistan round out the Top 8.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
It's always been a book you read while you poop but phones and fiber supplements have solved that

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

These guys and the guy with wavy fingernails five feet long are the pictures that that book have forever burned into my brain

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Katamari Democracy posted:

10 years ago I was in the qualifiers for most amount of time spinning a book on finger and this sexy man beat me by 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlEVQagAUNE

Look at him go!

I heard he had to have his finger amputated afterwards.

Source: The Guiness Book Of Rumors

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
The only one I cared about is world's fattest man, and now I have that weight loss surgery show on TLC instead.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

So... Who holds the record for giving poo poo about Guinness world records these days? That's what I want to know.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I remember watching an episode of the sitcom Alice which originally aired in 1981, before I was born, where one of the waitresses tries to break the Guinness world record for tap dancing, so I think it's been irrelevant and frivolous for a lot longer than 20 years.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
I dont care for it

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I came here to post this. They often use it as a tool to show there people that they have international clout, especially if they basically have none. Guinness is actually shady as hell.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

...! posted:

These guys and the guy with wavy fingernails five feet long are the pictures that that book have forever burned into my brain

gently caress

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

...! posted:

I also, remember Indian yogi with the worlds longest fingernails. He's staring at them as if he himself is impressed at how disgusting they are.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I think it was really mostly something kids cared about OP. Yeah, obviously the Internet has really taken the shine out of its star, but some of it's just down to you not being in the fifth grade anymore.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Tons Of Anarchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Fuckstick posted:

Tons Of Anarchy

:discourse: