Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I haven't given a poo poo about that since I was like 14 I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Guys see things like this and say “hell yeah”

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

If I wanted to look at pictures of weird people and weird things I'd just look at the mirror Rippley's Believe It or Not books.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

If I wanted to look at pictures of weird people and weird things I'd just look at the mirror Rippley's Believe It or Not books.

monitor lol got em :flipoff::flipoff::flipoff:

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
they don’t allow dangerous record attempts anymore like highest drop from a plane without a parachute, most cans of monster energy drinks consumed in one hour, longest time juggling chainsaws or highest amount of blood consumed that tested positive for Ebola

nobody cares about how many pillows a guy laid his head on in a row

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think it was really mostly something kids cared about OP. Yeah, obviously the Internet has really taken the shine out of its star, but some of it's just down to you not being in the fifth grade anymore.

My nephew is still pretty obsessed with this stuff, he's 9 years old and every year since he's 6 he's asked us to get him the Guinness World Record book for that year. I wanna take him to a Ripley's Believe it or Not museum soon, I think it'd blow his mind.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I actually visited the Guinness World Record exhibition at the London Trocadero when I was 12. They had a lifesize statue of Robert Wodlaw, the tallest man who ever lived (8'11). There was a small spiral staircase where you could walk up and see it face to face and a handprint display where you could compare your own to his. That and the world's biggest weight loss exhibition are the only two things I can really remember.

I will agree with other posters, I got a Ripley's photobook around the same time which was much more interesting.

It had things like men lifting anvils with their ears, pulling nails out of wood with their teeth and a guy who could blow saliva bubbles on the end of his tongue full of cigarette smoke. Also a very old woman who grew a third set of teeth.

There were some things in the Ripley's book that don't seem quite so strange today. Like the woman with a neck piercing which was a bar with two diamonds on the end. Transporting some guy with a diamond studded grill back to the 1920's would have made peoples head explode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

...! posted:

These guys and the guy with wavy fingernails five feet long are the pictures that that book have forever burned into my brain

I'm not sure I've ever looked at the books but I saw several episodes of the TV show they did way back when.

They had that guy on there but the eye milk squirters bugged me far more

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
The Guinness Book is still popular with my students. The library has several copies, and they are almost always checked out. Mainly for kids to find the weirdest thing, or something they think they can beat...

The book was begun because the reps from the Guinness Brewery in Dublin noticed there seemed to be lots of arguments over various records going on in pubs. They suggested compiling an authoritative list that they could provide to the pubs that could then be used to settle these disputes. The book was published, and it had the side effect of people trying to surpass the published records.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
No, ever since the dude who owned ripley’s believe it or not bought the guinness book of records company in 2008, it has turned into a moneymaking venture like the websites that will list “national pizza day” for domino’s or whatever

Wiki Article posted:

Traditionally, the company made a large amount of its revenue via book sales to interested readers, especially children. The rise of the Internet began to cut into book sales starting in the 2000s, part of a general decline in the book industry. According to a 2017 story by Planet Money of NPR, Guinness began to realise that a lucrative new revenue source to replace falling book sales was the would-be record-holders themselves. While any person can theoretically send in a record to be verified for free, the approval process is slow. Would-be record breakers that paid fees ranging from US$12,000 to US$500,000 would be given advisors, adjudicators, help in finding good records to break as well as suggestions for how to do it, prompt service, and so on. In particular, corporations and celebrities seeking a publicity stunt to launch a new product or draw attention to themselves began to hire Guinness World Records, paying them for finding a record to break or to create a new category just for them. As such, they have been described as a native advertising company, with no clear distinction between content and advertisement.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

rotinaj posted:

No, ever since the dude who owned ripley’s believe it or not bought the guinness book of records company in 2008, it has turned into a moneymaking venture like the websites that will list “national pizza day” for domino’s or whatever

A fitting end imo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have one friend who really gives a poo poo about guiness world records. she is the current record holder for fastest time to commute to all 472 subway station in nyc on the train, and is the first woman to break that record. she also broke the record for going through all the nyc ferry stops.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'd love a mature version of it. Widest stretched butthole. Largest amount of stallion semen chugged. Longest turd shat out. Biggest butt. That type of thing. It would be an actually entertaining read unlike this tame poo poo the Guinness book has these days.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Scrotum Modem posted:

I'd love a mature version of it. Widest stretched butthole. Largest amount of stallion semen chugged. Longest turd shat out. Biggest butt. That type of thing. I would be an actually entertaining read unlike this tame poo poo the Guinness book has these days.

I think I've set a record for at least 2 of these things.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the ultimate lasting cultural impact of the guinness book of world records

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Most Guinness Book founders clipped by the IRA for being Thatcherite fascists: 1

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The Guinness Book of World Records transitioning into the Guinness Book of Mad Libs Inspired World Records was a good pivot the book was always intended for stupid drunks, OP

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

for 400K you can buy the Guinness world record for "World's Best Grandma"

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Genesplicer posted:

The Guinness Book is still popular with my students. The library has several copies, and they are almost always checked out. Mainly for kids to find the weirdest thing, or something they think they can beat...

The book was begun because the reps from the Guinness Brewery in Dublin noticed there seemed to be lots of arguments over various records going on in pubs. They suggested compiling an authoritative list that they could provide to the pubs that could then be used to settle these disputes. The book was published, and it had the side effect of people trying to surpass the published records.

I never made the connection between the record book and the beer. If that had happened on this side of the pond, with 3rd graders checking out the Budweiser book of World Records, I bet the school board would’ve had some complaints.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

...! posted:

These guys and the guy with wavy fingernails five feet long are the pictures that that book have forever burned into my brain

So you think long fingernails are "cool" do you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPKf12w6W4

:cheers:

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

The one that sticks in my mind is the world’s smallest woman. She looked
like a little doll. I always wondered if her and Ludlow ever hung out.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I seen a Guinness book last year and they had a whole big two page spread about bitcoin

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ziv Zulander posted:

I seen a Guinness book last year and they had a whole big two page spread about bitcoin

Most amount of money scammed in a day record went to?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Anyone Remember a show named Real People or That’s Incredible?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
No

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
guinness and michelin really need to team up for a most tires eaten award

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
For some reason I'm remembering a woman who could pop her eyes out of their sockets but I think that was Ripleys believe it or not.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Dixville posted:

For some reason I'm remembering a woman who could pop her eyes out of their sockets but I think that was Ripleys believe it or not.

I remember that one. They had two different people who could both do it on the episode, and they had some judge with a transparent ruler measuring how far their eyes actually moved out of their sockets to determine who got the record.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

...! posted:

Add to that the man with the most cigarettes in his mouth at once (they based that Homer Simpson image on it)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Nobody gives a gently caress about Guinness records and only lames think the beer is good too.

I do hold the guineas record (unofficial) for most times telling co-workers to suck a hyena's rear end though.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I hold the Guinness world record for tiniest balls (½mm). I have an official Guinness world records shirt with my record on it and my wife hates it. My boss loves it though. AITA?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i hold the guiness world record for skibidi toilet

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mozi posted:

i hold the guiness world record for skibidi toilet

You fit 26 skibidi toilet guy heads up your rear end? That's quite a talent

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
oh poo poo i only had to do 26? ... dang

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress about Guinness records and only lames think the beer is good too.

I do hold the guineas record (unofficial) for most times telling co-workers to suck a hyena's rear end though.

I'm pretty sure your extensive research on Mr. Johnson is eligible for one

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

once you discover any other stout than Guinness, you figure out how watered down and tame Guinness is. Most Irish dry style stouts are. But just like there are Bud Light drinkers who associate it with their American identity, Guinness beer is the same with the Irish. I just live and let live

But seriously if you're a stout fan living in the US and you've only had Guinness, stop punishing yourself

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Scrotum Modem posted:

But seriously if you're a stout fan living in the US and you've only had Guinness, stop punishing yourself

Guinness is kinda nice for when you're trying to pace yourself since they're only 4.2% abv. American stouts also have the problem of leaning way too sweet, especially once you get above 7 or 8% and into imperial and bourbon barrel aged territory. Russian Imperial Stouts are aces, though.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Aging in bourbon barrels loses its mystique once you realize they are functionally a trash byproduct of the bourbon industry, and any cask used more than once prior imparts more flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Dokapon Findom posted:

Aging in bourbon barrels loses its mystique once you realize they are functionally a trash byproduct of the bourbon industry, and any cask used more than once prior imparts more flavor

Yeah, industry regulations stipulate virgin oak barrels for bourbon, so the barrels are cheap af after one batch, which is why they get bought up for use with everything from Scotch and beer to maple syrup and coffee beans.