Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m legit wondering. is there a compujter that isn’t a Turing machine. quantum computers don’t count because they aren’t real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ibm just released a new quantum computer op

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2023/12/6/23990752/quantum-computers-ibm-google-honeywell-china-supercomputer-artificial-intelligence

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

do they explain how it works?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah kinda. its not really very useful right now though. tbh i don't think any of them are, but they do exist

ibm's site has a lot more info about it https://www.ibm.com/quantum/technology

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh yeah billions of dollars and vast resources to make something that doesn’t work. fart

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

technically all computational devices we'll ever build are merely finite state machines, not turing machines, since the latter is defined to have an infinite tape :eng101:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what's the point of having an infinite tape? you're never gonna be able to use most of it. seems like some dick measuring contest thing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Silver Alicorn posted:

oh yeah billions of dollars and vast resources to make something that doesn’t work. fart

f35?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

oh i thought you said trillions

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

do they explain how it works?

if u claim to understand it, ur lying

- bongo titties physics man

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idk every quantum computer I have seen has a lot of impressive looking copper blocks and piping but doesn't look like an actual machine that can do work. I think its all woo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

idk every quantum computer I have seen has a lot of impressive looking copper blocks and piping but doesn't look like an actual machine that can do work. I think its all woo

uh, can any computer do work? they generally arent applying any force to displace anything

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

they do generate a lot of heat and move air.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

they do generate a lot of heat and move air.

the air moving isnt part of the computer tho, its an externality to the computer. its not part of the function of it imo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

if you want to talk externalitys, the computations of the computer cause a lot of people and or machines to do work

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

is that supposed to be a good thing?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

probably not. most of the work seems to be devoted to making a number go up for some of the worst people

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Silver Alicorn posted:

i don't know a whole lot about how these things work but apparently they are having trouble stabilizing the cubits to the point where they're not making so many errors that they're basically useless. there was an interview with ibm's head quantum computing guy and i thought it was pretty telling when asked if their new quantum computer can do computations that a regular computer can't, replied with something to the effect of like, "oh, yeah, they can do calculations"

like, not faster, more of them, ones impossible to solve currently, etc. — just that they can do unspecified calculations, sometimes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

i don't know a whole lot about how these things work but

stopped reading here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

stopped reading here

well the rest of it is about an interview with someone who probably does

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think its honorable of you to start your post with a warning to not read the rest of it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh i forgot to mention it was on the 38 minute long program "60 minutes"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

what's the point of having an infinite tape? you're never gonna be able to use most of it. seems like some dick measuring contest thing

also obviously you use the infinite tape as a measure for your infinitely long hog

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

when I was younger I was really keen on making a P'' machine but I never quite figured it out

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

and by not quite I mean not even close. I did however implement half of a risc style cpu in logisim

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my video card isn’t. need to upgrade badly

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've a geforce 2 gts I can sell you

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
video cards with programmable shaders are Turing complete, op. but they suck at it.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

I've a geforce 2 gts I can sell you

might be an upgrade

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Management posted:

video cards with programmable shaders are Turing complete, op. but they suck at it.

thank you for giving a real answer.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
doesn't that mean the geforce 2 is technically turing complete

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it’s literally in the name

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/turing/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

close thread.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

doesn't that mean the geforce 2 is technically turing complete

the geforce 2 didn't have programmable shaders. the first few generations of graphics cards that did have programmable shaders weren't turing complete either since you had no way to control the flow of execution in the shader. so no general if statements or loops that can't be unrolled at compile time. the closest to an if statement was that some instructions supported conditional predicates, but there were no instructions that modified the instruction pointer like jumps

basically to be turing complete you need the wonderful ability to get stuck in infinite loops, something modern gpus can do with aplomb as evidenced by the regularity with which windows kills my graphics drivers when i write buggy shaders

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the geforce 2 didn't have programmable shaders. the first few generations of graphics cards that did have programmable shaders weren't turing complete either since you had no way to control the flow of execution in the shader. so no general if statements or loops that can't be unrolled at compile time. the closest to an if statement was that some instructions supported conditional predicates, but there were no instructions that modified the instruction pointer like jumps

basically to be turing complete you need the wonderful ability to get stuck in infinite loops, something modern gpus can do with aplomb as evidenced by the regularity with which windows kills my graphics drivers when i write buggy shaders

nerd!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah kinda. its not really very useful right now though. tbh i don't think any of them are, but they do exist

ibm's site has a lot more info about it https://www.ibm.com/quantum/technology

I think they spend more time designing fancy cases to put these in than the computers themselves.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dijkstracula posted:

technically all computational devices we'll ever build are merely finite state machines, not turing machines, since the latter is defined to have an infinite tape :eng101:

busy beaver fucks you up

matti
Mar 31, 2019

they are turd machines

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

huh i thought it did but i guess it was the geforce 3 that had them first

anyway that was pretty interesting. fart is just being a jock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

akadajet posted:

I think they spend more time designing fancy cases to put these in than the computers themselves.

i still have no idea what they supposedly do. what os does a quantum computer run?