Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its time for the only award show that matters, the impies. everyone list your favorite games of this insanely stacked year or best games you played this year or w/e. two special awards:

GOTY - best game that came out this year
Impy - favorite/most important/coolest/best game you played this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the legend of zelda: tears of the kingdom - absolutely incredible. all the new systems were insanely fun, there was so much to do, the world was so loving cool. completely blows breath of the wild out of the water in an insane way which is fuckin buck wild. game of the year

armored core 6 - any other year this wouldve been goty easy. one of the best action games ive ever played. customizing your mech is incredible, combat is crazy fuckin fun, theres tons of hidden poo poo but the levels are mostly small and tight and it had probably rhe fuckin coolest spectacle boss froms ever done (ice worm). incredible game. impy

bg3 - i only played like 15-20 hours but its #3 on my list lol, one of the best wrpgs ever made easy. theres some whack larian poo poo but honestly its not that bad and theres so much good poo poo in the combat and environments and character building that it doesnt matter. definitely going back

like a dragon gaiden: the man who erased his name - absolutely fuckin sick. godlike game. the only reason its not also a contender for goty is that its definitely a side story but the new combat style is incredible, they packed all th yakuza side stuff in a game thats half as long as a normal yakuza. incredible game, infinte wealth cant come soon enough

super mario wonder - theres a 2d mario thats up there with bros 3 and world and its #5 on my goty list lmao

la-mulana - the goat

like a dragon ishin - wicked fun, bit too grindy but easily y5 tier. glad it got a remaster, now i want one for kenzan

re4 remake - didnt need one but hell it takes a fuckin awesome game and makes it better. strong recommend

tactics ogre - still one of my favorite tactics games, i wanna go back and do the postgame but when?

vampire survivors - yo this game fuckin rocks

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 8, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
GOTY: WoW Season of Discovery
Impy: Everquest Project Quarm

System of the Year: Xbox Series X
Best deal in gaming 2023: Gamepass

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
reserved.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goty: re4 remake. a fantastic remake that improved everything about one of my favorite games ever. will be replaying this for years.

impy: thats right baby! its dragon quest 11 again! i loving love this game and will replay it until theres a better dragonquest.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
GOTY: Suika Game

Imply: MW2 2009 because the servers got fixed.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Competition is fierce. I need to contemplate

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

GOTY - Hi-Fi Rush: An absolutely perfect game. Viewtiful Joe mixed with Ouendan. Easy 5/5 no question. Can't recommend this enough if you like rhythm games

Impy 2k23 - Disco Elysium: Another perfect game. Every square inch of this tiny map is dripping with character, and every character you speak to is full of personality. Some of the best voice acting I've ever heard in games too. I love walky talky feels games and this is basically that just presented isometrically. It's rare that a game lives up to the hype for me, but it did. Everyone telling me "no it's actually good" over the years was right

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Competition is fierce. I need to contemplate

i'm gonna be writin about like ten honorable mentions lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

GOTY: mario wonder because i didn't play that many new games this year.

IMPY: mario wonder because i didn't play that many new games this year.

still need to finish it too lol.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this was tough.

goty: the legend of zelda: tears of the kingdom.

impy: pizza tower was super, super close but its hi-fi rush. other honorable mentions: puyo puyo, final fantasy iv, i hope to get my hands on armored core 6 and super mario wonder this year.

unofficial award, best remake: resident evil 4, honorable mention to metroid prime remastered.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

this lol, and I've only got one eligible game for GOTY atm anyways

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Fungah! posted:

gonna be meditating on this a bit too

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

GOTY: gotta be Armored Core VI. I had never played an armored core game and went into it just expecting it to be a decent action game, but it really went above and beyond and went way past my expectations. Just a fully sick game from start to finish.

Impy: Mario RPG Remake. Hadn't replayed Mario RPG since I was a kid so it really gave me the nostalgia feels.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

goty: tears of the kingdom

impy: feels like a technicality to give it to my 4th playthru of fire emblem 3 houses, but it’s still the goat

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

reserved. requires some serious thought

Sub-Actuality posted:

returning to this thread after careful consideration.

GOTY: Zelda TOTK

It was a close race between this, Mario Wonder, and Baldur's Gate 3, but TOTK managed to out-do Breath of the Wild which I thought was impossible. Thank You Nintendo

IMPY: Final Fantasy II (PR)

I sort of lost momentum playing through all the FF remasters once I hit 5, and I'm still hoping to pick them back up again, but I was surprised at how much 2 stuck with me. It has a really loving weird skill system that could be offputting, but for some reason I loved it and it ended up being my favorite of the early games.

Close runner-up was Shadows of Doubt, which ended up being bizarrely compelling and eating up a ton of my time this year.

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 27, 2023

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reserved.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

GOTY: Tears of the Kingdom. its a rare game these days that gets its claws in me like that, i can't believe how much they added over breath of the wild. absolutely godlike game

Impy: gotta give it up to Doom 2, often imitated never surpassed. doomtober was awesome, i've never engaged with doom that much and man was it fun. building a level for the IZGCCP was a great experience as was playing through everyone's amazing levels.

best game i wouldn't have played if not for IZGC: ACe combat 3 electrosphere. never heard much about this game but its a lot of fun, looks incredible for how old it is, and the animated cutscenes are really cool.

Jenny Agutter fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 20, 2023

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

updated post 1

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GOTY: RE4 remake. Insanely good, builds on everything that made the original good, keeps a lot of goofy poo poo, still can't believe they matched or even improved on the re2 remake in terms of just pure quality

impy: Armored Core 6. Any other company could have hosed it up, but from said gently caress it, and just made a straight up modern armored core and polished it to an unbelievable degree, a return to form, owns

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I shant be posting my list until I finish a few more games

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

bees x1000 posted:

I shant be posting my list until I finish a few more games

this but i'll be writing it in the meantime. the productive gamer stays winning

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

only just now seeing your other hosed up thread lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
GOTY - Tears of the Kingdom. obviously.

Impy - EU4: Anbennar.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The Larry Parrish Memorial Award for Stinkiest Turd Laid This Year: Fungah forgetting that the year was 2023.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Waiting until the last week of the year to make my post because game of the year and Impy go to Baldur’s Gate 3 and Tears of the Kingdom but I need to make sure BG3 isn’t getting any recency bias when I decide which is which.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

GOTY: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Impy: tough call but gotta go with Death Stranding

too many good games this year. honorable mentions to Pentiment, La-Mulana, Morrowind, Sifu, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Mario Wonder, and Severed Steel. most of those were game club games or imp recs, thanks imps :cheers:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
goty: zelda: tears of the kingdom. i don't play a lot of games in their release year for reasons, and there are probably other, objectively better games (people keep screaming about baldur's gate?), but this is the one i played and it devoured my soul for longer than usual.

impy: balatro. it's only a demo, but it's full-featured enough for me to know that i'll be buying it full price and it'll be the goty for whatever year it comes out. and also probably the year after, tbh.

pointless honorable mention to the rise of the triad remaster for giving a weird, kinda bad game i still love the treatment that it deserves but also that free source ports couldn't quite deliver on because the original source code's so bad to work with

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

goty: ac6. probably the best ac game theyve ever made
impy: wow season of discovery

nuff said.

honorable mention to archipeliago and randomizer games. i really like the way these work and the programming that went into them was insane

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

GOTY: Tears of the Kingdom is the only game released in 2023 that I've finished (other than the Imp doom wad lol). but that may change before the end of the year. I've dipped my toes into a ton of them, AC6, BG3, Mario Wonder, RE4make...just haven't finished any of them.

Impy: ASTLIBRA - Revision. Detailed this in the games beat thread but this game resonated with me like no other game has in the last decade or so. It may be recency bias but I've got it as my number 2 or 3 favorite of all time right now.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

unlock the 2024 thread so I can put dragon's dogma 2 for both entries

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

unlock the 2024 thread so I can put dragon's dogma 2 for both entries

i'm keeping it locked to use it next year

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fungah! posted:

hype

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Fungah! posted:

lol. good

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Fungah! posted:

smart

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the imp zone already has too many threads, some should definitely be repurposed

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
recycling threads back into the ecosystem

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
GOTY: Zelda TOTK

Impy: Armored Core 6

The I Should Kill Myself Award, Presented by Ironmouse: Battlefield 2042. The worlds dumbest pieces of poo poo told me the game was good now :pram: well it's still literal dogshit. What was I thinking. Honorable mention to the new Call of Duty open beta as well. If i had spent real money to play either of these turds I would be in an extremely dark place, emotionally.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
goty: Super Mario Bros. Wonder. said all i need to say about this

impy: Tokimeki Memorial 2. 5 fat CDs of incredible Content where Your Choices Matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
GOTY: RE4 Remake

Impy: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Went into Aria thinking it would be great for a handheld, but it puts a lot of console games to shame. Definitely one of the most impressive games I've ever played

Honorable Mention: SF6

World Tour was a great way to get me accustomed to using a fight stick without it feeling like a slog. Between that, the great netcode, and the fun roster/mechanics this is a close second for my GOTY.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 9, 2023