Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
GotY: Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name. One of the best games in the series and a better end ("end") for Kiryu than Y6 imp.
IZGC Game of the the Year (non Impy division): Lyle in Cube Sector. Perfect map, perfect soundtrack, unparalleled cubing, bring back 2000s punk indie games.
Impy: La-Mulana. Some of the most fun I've ever had playing a game, thanks to IZGC. Happy Impies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

GOTY: AC6. Best AC game they ever made. NG plus cycles with new story own. Everything about piloting your AC feels amazing, down to the skating they do when you move while boosting. masterful entry to a franchise I was afraid was dead. thank you FromSoft

Honorable Mention: Tears of the Kingdom. I liked breath of the wild but not very much so I came into this expecting to have fun but I was completely pulled into this loving game. Just playing with stuff and how everything intuitively works. Astonishingly good game.

impy: wow season of discovery. most fun i've had playing wow maybe ever.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

@leadthumb can i get updated versions of these btw

Leadthumb posted:

90x132

Double scale

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Lol okay gimme a bit.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Goty: Tears of the Kingdom. I still think Breath of the Wild made a bigger impact on me personally and I didn’t love the building things aspect as much as some people. But it’s still basically BotW with an insane amount of extra content so really hard to go wrong here. Zelda ftw.

Impy: Metroid Fusion. Highly underrated and basically perfect game that still feels so amazing to play and you can crank through in three or four sittings. Sure maybe Zero Mission is better overall but it’s not on Switch GBA and making GBS threads my pants whenever SA-X shows up is a core gamer memory of mine.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

GOTY: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. one of the funnest sandboxes i've gotten the chance to play around in. botw is one of my favorite ever games so that with even more content is just perfect

Impy: Super Mario Wonder. so much joy while i played through this.

Honorable Mentions: Resident Evil 4 Remake, Super Mario RPG. insanely good remakes, they really captured the spirit of the originals while updating them for newer audiences. 2023 was really the year of the gamer

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GOTY: LAD Gaiden

Impy: Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty. I never played this at release so wasn't aware of how it was before but it's an incredibly amazing game, CDPR struck gold with it.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Lol

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

GOTY: This goes to TotK. I didn't think nintendo would be able to impress me this much after elden ring but they really found genius ways to build on BotW that not only make it stand out from all the other big open world games, but also fixed all my main gripes with the previous game like they had a checklist just for me. I'm playing it again to remember it better closer to the end of year and it just pulled me right the gently caress back in, it's just sooooo chill to lay on the couch with headphones and dive into this world and just gently caress around. It really feels like they looked at BotW and made the game that BotW should have been, and they pulled it off.

Impy: My Impy easily goes to Arnored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon. Unbelievable that they made a game that kicks this much rear end out of a revival, just an absolute blast that keeps getting so much better and better all the way up to the end of ng++. I could not put it down. Fromsoft rules!

Biggest surprise of the year: was Lies of P, I am actually shocked at how good this game came out. The sequel looks insane but if anyone can pull it off it's this developer because all bets are off apparently.
Honorable mention: Diablo 4, way more fun and a better game than it had any right to be.

Favorite IZGC pick: Gotta go with La-Mulana. Playing through again with no hints outside the thread was so much fun. Plus the game is an all timer and everyone should play it at some point.
Honorable mention: I was going to say doomtember but that wasn't like a regular pick.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

such a good-rear end year for gaming even if it was mostly backlog stuff for me, i have way too many honorable mentions and would likely have a few more if i did this at the end of December (Psychonauts 2, AI: the Somnium Files, & Ghost Trick are all games i wanna get to this month so gently caress lol) but w/e

GOTY: Fire Emblem Engage - pretty much by default cuz it was the only 2023 game i beat other than HROT and WLK Reroll but that doesn't not make it a great game in its own right, stripped away the stuff i found tedious about 3H and added content and mechanics that i thoroughly enjoyed and improved on 3H's presentation in nearly every way. only the story and worldbuilding was a step back, but if IS can combine the best of both worlds there's gonna be one sick FE game comin out next

Impys: Honorable Mentions
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - bona fide hood classic, glad to have finally played it for the first time and can definitely see why it stood the test of time
Snatcher - Kojima ftw forever, love cyberpunk and love VN games where you can gently caress around doing wacky stuff. super impressive for a 1988 PC game
Touhou Luna Nights - short but sweet Metroidvania, loved how many uses the time stop mechanics had along with the skills you unlock, and the music+art was gorgeous through and through. final boss smacked me around a bunch but for the most part was decently challenging without ever feeling unfair, well worth playing even if you're not a Touhou fan
The Great Ace Attorney 1 & 2 - had to give the nod to both, even if the first two cases of GAA1 are subpar it's absolutely necessary for the absolute kino that is the second game. GAA2 in particular was an absolute masterclass in writing, was told it retroactively makes the first game better and it did several times over. anyone who hasn't played them yet should go in as absolutely blind as possible, so many epic twists and confrontations that i don't think i could list them all
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling - went looking for a Paper Mario clone and found one not only excellent in its own right but honestly better than PM in a few aspects, loved the incorporation of a quest system and how it felt like i needed to use different skills much more often compared to PM. not to mention how it nailed making an interesting world and having actual synergy among all the party members rather than occasional convos, and finding out about each of their motives and stories worked well within the overall story too. so fuckin good, surprised i don't hear too much about it at all

Runner-up: La-Mulana - God drat was i fuckin floored lol, a game that perfectly threads the needle between making me feel like a genius and a dumbass with some insane visuals, lore, and music to boot. i don't think i'll ever be able to replicate the feeling of going through it blind and trading hints with like 15 other Imps all making discoveries simultaneously over the course of a month. i really oughta get around to the second game at some point but playing this for IZGC was 100% lightning in a bottle

Impy, overall and IZGC: Okami - a nearly flawless experience through and through. i could gush for ages about everything it did right, but in short, it's one of my Top 10 games of all time now, and somewhere in the Top 3 in terms of atmosphere alone. God drat

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

such a good-rear end year for gaming even if it was mostly backlog stuff for me, i have way too many honorable mentions and would likely have a few more if i did this at the end of December (Psychonauts 2, AI: the Somnium Files, & Ghost Trick are all games i wanna get to this month so gently caress lol) but w/e

[b]GOTY: Fire Emb

Stopped reading here.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Lmao excellent

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Stopped reading here.

:(

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

goty: street fighter 6
impy: la-mulana

thank you. good night.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

I didn't finish very many new games this year, so my GOTY pick is from a pretty limited list. Also, I didn't play TotK, which I'm lead to believe aught to be a strong contender. Based on what I've played, though...

GOTY: Resident Evil 4 Remake - This is the bar that should be set for remakes moving forward. Excellent graphical upgrades and smart, slick mechanical enhancements to what was already an incredible game. An absolute joy to play start to finish.

Honorable Mentions:
Baldur's Gate 3 - I've only played through the end of the first act, but it's insanely good so far. Great writing, awesome encounter design, and nigh-perfect implementation of tabletop mechanics. This is basically guaranteed to be my go-to CRPG for the next couple few years.
Armored Core VI - Fires of Rubicon - Easily the best action game I've played in years. The mech design system is incredibly deep, the weapons are varied and interesting, and the mech handling always feels amazing, despite varying wildly depending on your build. Just a pristine mix of mechanics and encounter design. Absolutely need to come back to this.

IMPY: Street Fighter 6 - I don't really play fighting games, but I played a shitload of this. It simply feels great to play. Honestly, an incredible feat of design to get a filthy causal like me playing competitive modes.

Unexpected Obsession: STALKER Anomaly GAMMA - A massive modpack for a fan-made revamp/repack of a 15 year old Ukrainian horror shooter series. GAMMA turns a fun, if kind of janky shooter into a hardcore single-player survival horror experience. Exploring the Zone is almost always tense and exciting - the AI and mechanics lead to all sorts of emergent story (which is good because the written story is basically nonexistent). Early progression can be a bit of a slog, but the payoff is so satisfying. Also, the modpack is wildly configurable, so you can set it up to play exactly how you like. I anticipate losing many more hours to this.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lmao masterpiece

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

GOTY: Street Fighter 6

Started in like Iron, now I'm up to Gold 3 with my Zangief, which I never thought was something I could reach any fighting game until I put the effort inti this one. Just typing this is making me want to jump on when I get home from work tonight.

Impy: Hard to pick since I played a ton of games this year but I think I'm gonna go with Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere. Totally blew me away playing it for Game Club, and it's just such a cool game.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol

goty: totk as I was able to play it handheld while my pc was in my house across state while waiting on a job transfer

impy: bg3. I loved it so much that I bought a steam deck just so that I could play it while my pc was away from me lol insanely fun game

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Game of the year:
Tears of the Kingdom. I liked botw well enough, but totk was pretty near perfect, improved basically everything, and was the only thing I played for like a month straight.
Honorable mentions: Armored Core 6, fully sick game, I still need to go back for ng+. Blasphemous 2, improved on the first game in almost every way. Fire emblem engage, some of the worst character designs but sick gameplay, remake three houses in the engage engine and it'd be the goat. I think that's all the 2023 releases I beat lol

Impy:
Lies of P. Somehow the game starring Pinocchio with the APAB banner in the trailer ended up being great, hanging with all but the top tier fromsoft games. Nioh 2 is about the only other non from souls game that comes close, and lies of p is better. Definitely the biggest surprise of the year for me.
Honorable mentions: SMT Digital devil saga 1 and 2, incredibly good jrpgs I'd never touched before. La Mulana, fumbling through this blind with other people ruled.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

GOTY
Tears of the Kingdom
I haven't played a lot of this year's biggest releases yet so TotK wins by default. It probably deserves it though.

IMPY
Dragon Quest 5/8/11
I loved JRPGs as a kid but fell off the wagon during the long, dark stretch of N64-Gamecube-PC only-PS4. I've been catching up and spent the first half of 2023 playing this one-two-three punch of perfection. Just amazing games and I'm unbelievably hyped for DQ12 and DQ3HD.

BEST OF IZGC
Bangai-O Spirits
Drawing levels with the stylus and sharing sound files is really neat. The level set is a nice balance of challenge and fun, unlike Missile Fury which leans too hard into eXxXtreme hardcore frustration. Probably Treasure's second best game after Radiant Silvergun.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Magicus
A mobile match 3 game/dungeon crawler from KEIZO that follows many of the same beats as Astlibra Revision. Astlibra is a top 10 GOAT and Magicus kinda scratches that itch while we wait for the DLC. Took me about 50h to beat on hell difficulty.

We Love Katamari REROLL
Katamari is pure, unadulterated happiness. A breath of fresh air when everything else in life sucks.

ADOM
I thought this was trash for years but something finally clicked and I sunk 170h into it and a couple wins. I would still recommend Qud a thousand times over but if you're willing to roll with the jank, ADOM can be fun.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Played my first Yakuza this year (0 and 7). I loved both of them but picked 7 because JRPG > beat 'em up. I've got high hopes for Infinite Wealth.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

GoTY: Baldur's Gate 3
Impy: Pizza Tower

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

GOTY: Zelda TOTK

Impy: Armored Core 6

The I Should Kill Myself Award, Presented by Ironmouse: Battlefield 2042. The worlds dumbest pieces of poo poo told me the game was good now :pram: well it's still literal dogshit. What was I thinking. Honorable mention to the new Call of Duty open beta as well. If i had spent real money to play either of these turds I would be in an extremely dark place, emotionally.

I broke ties with all the people who tried to get me into a BF game since the WW1 one. :homieglomp: Stay strong.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My impy is Battlebitch because it’s like “what if they made BF good” which I’ve been waiting for since 3. My goty is probably BG3 or SF6.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My Impy is actually Forum Events Q2 2023 for helping me get through a difficult time stuck in a hospital surrounded by big booty Latina nurses who wouldn’t leave me and my Switch the gently caress alone.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

stuck in a hospital surrounded by big booty Latina nurses

Nice humblebrag.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Aging Gamer Gets DOMINATED By Big Booty Latinas

Fungah!