Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
GOTY: Lies of P. The quality of this game was beyond all my expectations. It took the soulslike formula and proved you can make something unique after the genre has been around and experimented with for over a decade. This developer came out of nowhere and dropped a bomb of an experience, with the best sequel bait post credit scene the got me beyond hyped.

Honorable mentions: i lucked out and got to play most or all of the major releases this year (for PC anyway). too much good poo poo to ramble about. armored core 6, cyberpunk: phantom liberty, BG3, Dead Space remake, RE4remake, system shock remake, diablo 4, remnant 2. We <3 Katamari Reroll. the true winner of 2023 isnt a single game, its the Gamers as a whole.

IMPY: FF13-2. this game out of the trilogy sticks with me the most when i went through it this year. the story is awesome and the already great combat system from 13 turning into a semi-constant pet system was alot of fun to play around with. i keep turning on the OST when im working on things here and there which helps me forget the dogshit that is FF16.

2024 looks to have multiple 100+ hour rpg releases right off the bat, cant wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GOTY: Tears of the Kingdom

i haven't even beat it yet, but i've been enjoying it so much. the meld mechanic really blew breath of the wild's combat wide open, and the four big dungeons felt better than the ones in BOTW, mostly. there's just so much stuff to do, with all the diagrams, sign guy, korok pairs, etc.

Impy: Baldur's Gate 3

still early in this because i play online with friends, but... it's d&d that you can play online with friends and it actually works.

honorable mentions:
-Like a Dragon: Ishin! and Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name were both excellent side stories on the path to Infinite Wealth.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nutmeg posted:

IMPY: FF13-2. this game out of the trilogy sticks with me the most when i went through it this year. the story is awesome and the already great combat system from 13 turning into a semi-constant pet system was alot of fun to play around with. i keep turning on the OST when im working on things here and there which helps me forget the dogshit that is FF16.

hell yeah

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Good soup! posted:

Aging Gamer Gets DOMINATED By Big Booty Latinas

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

returning to this thread after careful consideration.

GOTY: Zelda TOTK

It was a close race between this, Mario Wonder, and Baldur's Gate 3, but TOTK managed to out-do Breath of the Wild which I thought was impossible. Thank You Nintendo

IMPY: Final Fantasy II (PR)

I sort of lost momentum playing through all the FF remasters once I hit 5, and I'm still hoping to pick them back up again, but I was surprised at how much 2 stuck with me. It has a really loving weird skill system that could be offputting, but for some reason I loved it and it ended up being my favorite of the early games.

Close runner-up was Shadows of Doubt, which ended up being bizarrely compelling and eating up a ton of my time this year.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
goty: bg3

bounced off of it initially playing a boring character. went back and played as a piece of poo poo and put 100 hours in immediately, willl be replaying this for years to come. one of the best rpgs ive ever played

impy: mario wonder

4 month announcement window to release one of if not the best 2d mario theyve ever made. so much creativity and even levels that kick your rear end, was shocking how much variation was in the game and how it never really stopped at any point. incredible

honorable mentions:

totk. i liked botw but it had some stuff that annoyed me so it wasnt an instant top tier zelda for me, totk fixed every problem i had + added a ridiculous amount of stuff to do. still not done with it lol. wouldve been goty if not for bg3
ac6. what ive played has been incredible but havnt been in the mood for it so only played the first chapter. likely going to end up being impy 2024.
g string. probably the best half life conversion mod ever and an incredble sp fps in its own right, but it has a completely aids name that makes me want to never tell anyone to play it.
diablo 4. somehow an arpg that is a finished game at launch. its no d2 or poe but it really highlights how dogshit d3 was. best feeling skills in the genre
noita: finally got into it this year, really fun to mess around w all the particle stuff. addicted to setting off fires and just watching them spread
captain of industry: factorio with trucks, thus
battlebit: tiny indie dev instantly annihilates whatever the battlefield devs have been wasting their time with for the last 10 years, effortlessly
la mulana: i think this is the hardest game ive ever beaten lmao
metroid prime remaster: absolutely gorgeous. its ridiculous what they managed to squeeze out of the switch

Stux fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 27, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

Good soup! posted:

Aging Gamer Gets DOMINATED By Big Booty Latinas

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

GOTY: Tears of the Kingdom There were some strong contenders, and TotK stands above all of them. I thought initially that a direct sequel would be a bad choice for a Zelda game, but TotK basically reinvents BotW.

Honorable mention: Baldur's Gate 3 could have been my goty if it didn't have a level cap. After I hit the cap, the story didn't captivate me enough to finish all the side quests.

IMPY: Gundam Side Story 0079 Not because of the game, because it's rather rough to play. But because this game pushed me into building Gundam models, which I've greatly enjoyed.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what a sick year for gaming

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what a sick year for gaming

It fully was and we’re hitting the ground running next year too

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Overall Impy of the Year: Fortnite

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
GOTY: Book of Hours. nice followup to Cultist Simulator with great art and clearer goals, an exploration element, and atmosphere coming out its ears. Maybe AC6 would have taken it but I haven't played that yet

Impy: Dwarf Fortress. I was playing this on Christmas, and 11 child laborers died after a demon breached the wall of the lava channel they were hauling debris out of. impossible to say which got them first: the pressurised magma or the demonic breath dissolving their bones from the inside out. they couldn't carry the rocks fast enough with their little arms :smith:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

goty: probably malders gate

impeh: cyberpunk

bob indie darling award: lunacid probably

yakuza game that came out this year award: gaiden

bye

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dongicus posted:

yakuza game that came out this year award: gaiden

fading afternoon also pretty dang good

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. It really feels like a once-in-lifetime game, or at least once in a console generation. I loved Breath of the Wild to death and spent like two years soaking it in and considered it one of the best games of all time, and TOTK takes it as a foundation and builds on it so much that it makes the original feel like a tech demo. Huge amounts of content to explore, between the surface, the depths, and the sky, and always something interesting to find when you do. The sheer freedom to build anything you want with ultrahand or make badass weapons with fuse, the almost immersive-sim nature of how many ways there are to solve any puzzle in the intended ways or otherwise. Just an incredible achievement all the way around.

Runner-up: Baldur’s Gate 3. When I first finished this I thought it might snatch the GOTY from TOTK, after sleeping on it a bit I don’t think it’s quite that good, but it’s drat good. Loved the world, loved the characters, loved how many options there are for resolving nearly every quest. The main story was fine and had some cool moments but most of the companion storylines were fantastic and among my favorite, at least in recent memory if not all time. I wanted to give this a special shoutout instead of the Impy because it really was close to snatching the crown.

Impy 2023: Final Fantasy XVI. I know this one was really divisive all around and I think most imps that played it came out feeling negatively towards it, but I liked it a lot. In the Games Beat thread I said it probably would have been my GOTY if not for TOTK and I think, between some distance from it and the sheer number of other great games that ended up hitting, that it doesn’t actually even really enter the GOTY conversation at all. But I really enjoyed the world, the story, especially the characters who I really came to love. The boss fights were awesome spectacles, the cutscene direction was about on par with a Yakuza game, extremely good voice acting to really sell the emotional beats of the story. I thought the final villain was cool and did cosmic horror better than most modern attempts at actual cosmic horror. None of this makes a game GOTY, but it made enough of an impact on me to give it my Impy. Also my Impies usually go to cute little indie games that came out during the year and with all the heavy-hitters I didn’t play many of those this year.

Favorite Game Club Game: Snatcher. Super cool, stylish, funny game. It’s amazing how much of Kojima’s style was present from the very beginning of his career. I’ve been meaning to play all his older games since I got a copy of his book for Christmas last year and was glad for the kick in the pants to finally start it.

What a great year for gaming, here’s to 2024 which is looking to possibly rival it.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
GOTY - Nikke: Goddess of Victory. Big loving tits and rear end but with a great story to boot. When I say I like a nikke for her personality, I truly mean it.

Impy - Honkai Starrail. Fairly loving generous and Jingliu is a bad bitch.

2023 FAILS:

Zelda Tik of the Tok. LOL. What a huge pile of poo poo this turned out to be.

Mario Blunder. Didn't even loving play it. Good lord. Watching you saps fawn over it made me sick to my loving stomach.

The conclusion I've come to? South Korea and China are making godlike mobile games that are blowing out all AAA developer holes. It's been so bad people have been playing western Indie crap. poo poo year, better luck in 2024 impailures.

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hizke posted:

GOTY - Nikke: Goddess of Victory. Big loving tits and rear end but with a great story to boot. When I say I like a nikke for her personality, I truly mean it.

2023 FAILS:

Mario Blunder. Didn't even loving play it. Good lord. Watching you saps fawn over it made me sick to my loving stomach.

The conclusion I've come to? South Korea and China are making godlike mobile games that are blowing out all AAA developer holes. It's been so bad people have been playing western Indie crap. poo poo year, better luck in 2024 impailures.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Couldn’t of said it better myself. Add Dragon Quests 1-11 and Disco Elysium and Dark Souls to the listen of HUGEST CRINGE FAILS OF 2023 and it p much lines up with my list perfectly. Though I would give an honourable mention to the latest Destiny 2 Expansion Pack.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hizke posted:

2023 FAILS:

Lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Hizke posted:

2023 FAILS:

Wormskull posted:

Couldn’t of said it better myself. Add Dragon Quests 1-11 and Disco Elysium and Dark Souls to the listen of HUGEST CRINGE FAILS OF 2023 and it p much lines up with my list perfectly. Though I would give an honourable mention to the latest Destiny 2 Expansion Pack.

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hizke posted:

2023 FAILS:

Wormskull posted:

lmfao

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Hizke posted:

2023 FAILS:

----------------

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nutmeg posted:

GOTY: Lies of P. The quality of this game was beyond all my expectations. It took the soulslike formula and proved you can make something unique after the genre has been around and experimented with for over a decade. This developer came out of nowhere and dropped a bomb of an experience, with the best sequel bait post credit scene the got me beyond hyped.

Also my GOTY. Think it's the best souls or souls like I've played. Just did everything the best imo

Impy: Horizon Forbidden West. I just cannot get enough of hunting giant robot dinosaurs in the post apocalypse. I love it

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Hizke posted:

2023 FAILS:

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Hizke posted:

2023 FAILS:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hizke posted:

2023 FAILS:

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
If y'all haven't been following the Meet N gently caress games in TYOOL 2023, you have missed out bigly. My bellybutton (outie, obvs) is absolutely slick with watery loads thanks to the fine folks at newgrounds. Based Tom Fulp.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Almfao tik of the tok