Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sometimes you play a game for a bit or even to near completion but never finish it for some reason. some of these games are even super fun but you just never feel the drive to finish or you get hardcore gatekept by a boss (not me, but I'm sure you do). also some just dont have an end so you just end up posting your thoughts about it in the friday fucker thread. i do this heaps so i thought this would be a good place to share thoughts on all those particular games

deathloop
this game sucks loving rear end, i managed 55 minutes before the thought of loading it again made me sick. this is like if rockstar made a bioshock sequel

warhammer 40,000: space marine
this game kicked rear end, gears of war that encourages rushing down enemies to chainsaw them instead of hiding behind cover. This really falls apart in the last act, they run out of original ideas and it start to get samey and tedious. i played the final boss once and it was long and boring and i had to go to berd so i left it with the intention that i would go back and finish it later for completionists sake, but now ive accepted im probably not going to do that

the bureau: xcom declassified
everyone sort of accepted this game as being bad but ive never actually known someone to play it. the install was goddamn huge and the game is straight up mediocre with a lot of filler and base wandering, theres a lot of fun ideas in here though. i honestly think the game copped a lot of flack from people thinking or caring about the xcom lore like anyone else gives a poo poo. squad based cover shooter with powers is badass, they even have some super tanky enemies which are actually fun to fight because it requires actual squad management and clever use of your abilities. honestly the biggest issue i have with this one is that theres no tension like a regular xcom game, missions cant be permanently failed and i played on the hardcore setting where squad mates can permanently die and i was still running my original crew at the end because you can still pick them up to save them. if they made a sequel that just straight up stole all the best bits from control and made the powers even more powerful, and added the tactical layer of xcom without a main character that cant die, it would be goated. i stopped playing sometime in the last mission with this one as well, it goes way too long and honestly id seen every interaction on repeat by this point so the whole thing just felt like a job to keep playing. im sure the story sucked rear end too but like i give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

i honestly think the game copped a lot of flack from people thinking or caring about the xcom lore like anyone else gives a poo poo.
the initial announcement took its beating because a.) it was announced before the firaxis strategy reboot b.) the boss at 2k was rambling about how nobody cares about strategy games, fuelling the fire and c.) it was an fps that looked and ran like poo poo and all the monsters were like, sentient blobs of tar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

after firaxis's xcom got announced and the bureau got reworked into a squad-based shooter i don't really recall anybody talking about it at all beyond some very "ehh it's okaaay i guess?" reviews. i think i got it in a humble bundle at some point but i still need to check it out at some point.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

metro last light: i got to a huge gun fight near the end of the game with no health and barely any ammo and gave up. i'd have tried to push through if it weren't for the lovely aiming your character has. sucks cause the rest of the game was fun.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i think thats where my copy came from. it's not great, but there's the idea of a good game buried in there which is both compelling, and then frustrating when you hit the point where you realise that's all there is to it

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

metal gear rising revengeance
i dont even know why i stopped playing this one, it's sick

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
project x zone

gameplay was ok but it was too long and needed a little more. you stop getting new things to do when there's still like 20 chapters to go and there's so many enemies on every map

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when i was a kid i sent my gamecube memory card off to a guy on gamefaqs so he could add all the secret nes games to my animal crossing town and when i got it back my metroid prime save at the phazon mines was back at phendrana drifts. so i never beat that

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Resident Evil 7

At least 3 times I've gotten a few hours into the game and just lost interest, only to put it down and start over several months later. The atmosphere's great but I dunno, it just doesn't click for me. I liked Village well enough but 7 just feels a bit dull to play for some reason.

Transistor

Can't even remember why I stopped playing this so I probably need to give it another try sometime

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I never built with brown bricks in Minecrap. :eng99:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
lol again

HolePisser1982 posted:

epic nerd guy: the whip is a poo poo and the sword is an rear end! diarrhea dogballs, flush this piss down the shitter!
mike matei: [scowling while laboring over a stick figure guy saying the n-word in Art Academy WiiU in absolute silence]
me: haha! they still got it

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Every few years I try again and go yep, still bad.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I'm never gonna beat Lies of P. It's just not happening

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

control
i really wanted to like this, but the narration is annoying and dumb and the story just didnt grab me

phantasy star 4
started this one years ago (i think in a retro games thread???), didn't finish it, tried it again this year, didn't finish it. this is not a good thing as it whips rear end, so i really need to finish it

ace combat 7
loved what I played of it but unfortunately it came right as my toddler began a brutal sleep regression so lol not happening, maybe next year

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Monster Hunter: World
I've tried to get into MH for years, I really feel like I should love it, but there's something about this game that feels like my time is being wasted. I hear Iceborne is great but I've never made it that far. I tried again last week and I ended up reinstalling Dragon's Dogma instead.

SaGa Frontier Remastered
I love the GB games and was hyped for this one. I finished Red's story and then got stuck in a maze-base thing with the blonde lady. It's been two years and I haven't made any progress.

game beat :smugbert:

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 27, 2023

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

Monster Hunter: World
I've tried to get into MH for years, I really feel like I should love it, but there's something about this game that feels like my time is being wasted. I hear Iceborne is great but I've never made it that far. I tried again last week and I ended up reinstalling Dragon's Dogma instead.

SaGa Frontier Remastered
I love the GB games and was hyped for this one. I finished Red's story and then got stuck in a maze-base thing with the blonde lady. It's been two years and I haven't made any progress.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

clowns are important and contributing members of society

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

bees x1000 posted:

clowns are important and contributing members of society

that's a good statement. for a clown to make

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Persona 4 Golden: i was really enjoying it but i burnt myself out heavily by the time i was facing Shadow Rise, think in part by playing so much of it in like a week but also i found the fusion/compendium stuff kinda overwhelming for a newb like me. it's been long enough now that i forget pretty much what every spell and persona do but i definitely don't want to start over so it's currently in some whackass limbo until i nut up and do one or the other

Fallout 4: i preordered it, played just under two hours, concluded it was worse than New Vegas in every way, and dropped it like a sack of poo poo

Psychonauts: i rectified this a week or two ago but when i first played it back in high school and got to the part where you need to collect 400 Arrowheads i didn't realize the Dowsing Rod let you find clumps of like 20 or 50 at once and upon thinking i would have to collect 300 individually i just gave up and shelved it for over a decade

The Witness: The Shitness

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fat evil clown owns j00.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Fat evil clown owns j00.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Fat evil clown owns j00.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reserved.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the third arkham game. i'll get back to it one day.

there are also just a ton of games that i have on my list to finish when i complete the yakuza/like a dragon series.

also punch-out! because it was toward the end of when i still had time for my NES project.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
The 2nd pathfinder game I bounced off of after 50 hours. I started at too hard of a difficulty and never messed with the ruleset before, so the game is bad and I moved in with my life.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also basically all of the ultima games. i think i eventually beat exodus out of spite but not the rest.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wizardry VI: Planned to take a party through Wiz 6-8, spent 60 hours on a Wiz 6 run and did everything I needed to do for the good ending and my save corrupted somewhere in the final swamp. Might start a new party in wiz 7 some day

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
feeling grim at the chances of me completing Baldurs Gate 3, when the only rpgs ive ever finished are Mario RPG and a couple Pokemons

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I got to the tetromino puzzles in The Witness and gave up bc they never clicked for me and I'm retarded

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

xenoblade 1 twice now. first time dolphin ate my save, second time i got one too many migraines playin it on n3ds. third times the charm

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Final Fantasy 3 on the ds.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I got to the tetromino puzzles in The Witness and gave up bc they never clicked for me and I'm retarded

This exact thing happened to me lol.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’m constantly dropping games unintentionally because I’m always juggling like 5 games at once and sometimes even games that I’m really enjoying will fall off when a new one rotates in.

I think Deathloop is the only recent game that comes to mind that I’ve dropped on purpose though, just a completely miserable experience. None of the guns feel very good, the enemies are all the same and just rush straight towards you with no AI, the environments aren’t interesting, and the writing’s just godawful and grating (your hacking device is called the hackamajig and is exclusively referred to that way).

The time loop/time advancing thing felt really half-baked too, I remember there’s one enemy that you can see digging a tunnel on the earliest time, and if you sneak past him instead of killing him then he keeps digging and the tunnel gets bigger as time advances, which seems like it could be cool, but I forget if there’s literally nothing in that tunnel once it’s dug or if it’s such an insulting little reward that it may as well be, like a handful of pocket change or something. Just kind of emblematic of the whole thing in my experience. I had sort of assumed that it was just crapped out halfway through since it was a PlayStation exclusive partially developed after Arkane was acquired by Microsoft but then Redfall hit so I guess Arkane just lost their touch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have an extremely bad habit of abandoning games because I have ADHD and get distracted and bored really easily lol. Most notably though I've tried like 5 different Tales games and have come to realize I just don't like how the series plays

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Mega Man Zero. It’s ftw but the final boss rush always kicked my rear end. Maybe I’ll try again someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

Final Fantasy 3 on the ds.

that game is dogshit