Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Love it. This is one of my yearly Christmas movies and my favorite Kon now I think. Great characters and animation and I love how the Christmas miracles keep coming together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah it’s a happy movie. Guess depends on age of kids, some violence is probably worst aspect

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’ll copy my review from last year. But I plan on watching again around Christmas.

This is one of my current Christmas movies in my yearly rotation and always favorite as you cannot go wrong with Satochi Kon. The film is centered around this makeshift family of homeless adults and one teen girl who happen to find baby. All of them either grew up in unhappy households or were poor dads themselves so they resolve to find the abandoned baby’s parents and question them. What follows is a series of Christmas miracles and coincidences that causes each of them to face their past sins with their old families and seek forgiveness. And as they are family, they are always forgiven in the end. 

It’s fun watching them trek around the snowy landscapes of Tokyo and underground societies (drag bars, Yakuza weddings, immigrant housing, construction yards, etc). This is probably his movie that easily could have been live action. But Kon still takes advantage of the format with lots of fun animated faces and gags and of course his signature transitions. The script is masterfully written as each coincidence it setup and beautifully executed later. Gin and Hana are just such a great pair too and watching them in that final chase scene to the baby falling rescue is always intense. Glad they get that  lottery ticket. Miyuki grows on you as the movie plays and you learn to feel her guilt, shame, and home sickness.

I am undecided if this is my favorite Kon, but it is my most watched at least.