Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

If you are looking for a truly great Christmas movie this year, I highly suggest checking out Tokyo Godfathers. It's a story about three homeless people Hana, Gin, and Miyuki that find a baby and set out to return her to her parents.
https://i.imgur.com/xpKpfNw.mp4

Hana

She's a transwoman and former drag queen, she's got a loving heart and tries to take care of others but also has a flair for the dramatic at times.

Gin

The oldest of our three heroes, he's a bit of an alcoholic and has issues being honest about himself with the others. However, he tries to make up for it by being protective of the group.

Miyuki

Miyuki is a teenage runaway whos been on the streets for a few months. Being a teen, she's fairly naive and even though she acts independent she heavily leans on Hana and Gin to survive.

Kiyoko

Is a baby.

These extremely short character write-ups purposely don't tell you much because the movie is largely about these people's lives and how their stories influence their need to help return Kiyoko to her parents. So it's better to watch the movie and find out who they are yourself. It's a fairly oddball movie but also extremely sentimental. It'll make you laugh, cry, etc. It's written and directed by Satoshi Kon, an extremely kick rear end creative who was taken from the world too soon by pancreatic cancer. He's credited as a writer and directed Millennium Actress, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, and directed Perfect Blue.

Here's a trailer though you should skip it and just go straight to the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL_2E-HfIZY

The movie is free on tubi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

If you're on the fence, you should absolutely watch Tokyo Godfathers because it's a really lovely and charming movie.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm taking a bunch of friends to see it in theaters on Monday and I'm so excited. It's gonna make me cry so much.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Love it. This is one of my yearly Christmas movies and my favorite Kon now I think. Great characters and animation and I love how the Christmas miracles keep coming together.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Hell yes this movie fucks. Definitely will be rewatching it at some point this month.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

an actual dog posted:

I'm taking a bunch of friends to see it in theaters on Monday and I'm so excited. It's gonna make me cry so much.

Thanks for letting me know this was happening

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DeimosRising posted:

Thanks for letting me know this was happening

If they do it every year I'll go every year. A movie about random chance bringing people is perfect.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I would like to watch this with my SO, but I have to know: Does the baby make it? My SO absolutely cannot handle anything like that. And is the movie suitable for kids?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tac Dibar posted:

I would like to watch this with my SO, but I have to know: Does the baby make it? My SO absolutely cannot handle anything like that. And is the movie suitable for kids?

Yes and probably not, respectively.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah it’s a happy movie. Guess depends on age of kids, some violence is probably worst aspect

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tac Dibar posted:

The OP wasn’t being flippant calling this a Christmas movie. It really is one, so you don’t have to go in expecting this to turn into Grave of the Fireflies or anything like that.

Tweens and teens should be fine with this movie. Little kids will probably be lost/bored with it.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Caught this in theaters last night, thanks thread! I hadn't watched this in about 10 years and it's cemented itself as one of my favorites of Kons filmography.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jealous of anyone getting to see this on the big screen.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

MacheteZombie posted:

Jealous of anyone getting to see this on the big screen.

It was probably one of my best moviegoing experiences in recent memory. Few people in the theater, no commercials or trailers; just the movie itself, a tub of popcorn and a soda to split between us.

And it's a wonderful movie to boot. I'll probably have to track down a physical copy to add to our Christmas watch list.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Just watched it, showed it to some friends. Some of them had seen other Satoshi Kon movies but not this one but at least one person had never seen any of his movies before. This movie is just so joyful, and yet I always forget how absolutely wild it gets between the gang wars and the stolen baby twist. It was such a wonderful time seeing the humor and sparkle come across, and it really is such an immaculately-paced movie with flawless escalation. Miracles upon miracles. I had forgotten just how funny it is. Also noticed this time how the movie shows Miyuki's homelessness-induced weight loss as well. Lots of themes struck me this time about how scary it can be to face our past mistakes and the parts of ourselves we aren't proud of, but how these don't define us.

I think it's really something special when you get to show some friends your favorite Christmas movie and you can see it becoming one of theirs too in real-time. Satoshi Kon really was a genius.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Ballz posted:

The OP wasn’t being flippant calling this a Christmas movie. It really is one, so you don’t have to go in expecting this to turn into Grave of the Fireflies or anything like that.

Tweens and teens should be fine with this movie. Little kids will probably be lost/bored with it.

Super, thanks! We will be watching this over the christmas holiday in that case.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I watched this last night and thought it was fantastic, both as a movie and as a Christmas movie. The three main characters all play off of each other well and the details in how they're animated to move and talk adds so much to their characterization and is a blast to watch. I really enjoyed the bizarre coincidences that just keep happening to the characters and the way it feeds into the idea of there being some kind of divine guidance impacting the events of the film.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’ll copy my review from last year. But I plan on watching again around Christmas.

This is one of my current Christmas movies in my yearly rotation and always favorite as you cannot go wrong with Satochi Kon. The film is centered around this makeshift family of homeless adults and one teen girl who happen to find baby. All of them either grew up in unhappy households or were poor dads themselves so they resolve to find the abandoned baby’s parents and question them. What follows is a series of Christmas miracles and coincidences that causes each of them to face their past sins with their old families and seek forgiveness. And as they are family, they are always forgiven in the end. 

It’s fun watching them trek around the snowy landscapes of Tokyo and underground societies (drag bars, Yakuza weddings, immigrant housing, construction yards, etc). This is probably his movie that easily could have been live action. But Kon still takes advantage of the format with lots of fun animated faces and gags and of course his signature transitions. The script is masterfully written as each coincidence it setup and beautifully executed later. Gin and Hana are just such a great pair too and watching them in that final chase scene to the baby falling rescue is always intense. Glad they get that  lottery ticket. Miyuki grows on you as the movie plays and you learn to feel her guilt, shame, and home sickness.

I am undecided if this is my favorite Kon, but it is my most watched at least.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Just watched this for the first time thanks to this thread.

Amazing movie.

It was nice to have a new Christmas movie to watch that isn’t tied to people no longer in my life.

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 20, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kevino07 posted:

Not sure if has been linked earlier, but the criminally underrated Kyoto Video tackles Satoshi Kon's Christmas masterpiece Tokyo Godfathers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDM1hj1rc0s

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Rewatched, really appreciated how often the movie pauses to let its sick and cold characters sniffle. It's continually funny, but the film's death and health scares also make it a quiet, ominous reminder of what they're risking by wandering around in the cold. Great film.

Merry Christmas, all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Managed to fit this in by making my parents watch it (they liked it I think). Great movie, even more so on rewatch. I love the scene between Miyuki and the Latina mother, and the scene at the mob wedding, and most of the other scenes, come to think of it! Such an empathetic and humanistic story