Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Eau de MacGowan posted:

gortash had a god form? when i fought him all he had was a bunch of home alone traps and a force field

then karlach threw him through a table, dudley boyz style
He gets a scaled up model with glowing eyes. Avatar of the Black Hand my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Might be an Honour mode thing or you killed him too fast but he has a 90s power rangers style transformation

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Might be an Honour mode thing or you killed him too fast but he has a 90s power rangers style transformation
What really? He only ever just got a little bigger for me. Can you post a video of this transformation

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Huh yeah I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. Guess he died too fast, even on tactician he was one of the shittier bosses

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I've fought him like 4 times on honour mode now and haven't seen anything like that, although every time I lured him down to the bottom floor so maybe I didn't trigger it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Gortash fight was pretty basic and lame in my game. Definitely not a save the best for last situation after Ketheric and Orin and all the other stuff in act 3 I did before the fight. He had some guards who hit like trucks with thunder proc weapons but when they were dead Gortash ended up in a corner stunned or prone and in the middle of some Spike Growth getting the poo poo kicked out of him with a bunch of level 6 spells and Lae'zel cleaving off chunks every turn.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

mycot posted:

He gets a scaled up model with glowing eyes. Avatar of the Black Hand my rear end.

Bane clearly doesn't have any faith in Gortash. As he shouldn't.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Finished the game just now. It was the best distraction from a bad bout of COVID that I could hope for. Learning 90% of the way through that Larian bowed out and I wasn't going to see any more of these characters made the ending and epilogue more impactful and emotional. I had sixty-ish hours on my save file and did everything I wanted. I looked on the BG3 wiki and saw I missed two or three short-length quests in act 3 that probably would have added a few more hours. I had Karlach in my party until I recruited that very last companion, and then when the end fight was over she reminded me in a sad way that I never completed her personal quest. Whoops. She's the one where it doesn't matter though; in the epilogue she goes back to Avernus and has a blast beating her way to getting a new heart. I also didn't bother with Gale (who I benched after his necrotic aura bug nearly wiped me), Wyll (boring), the Druid guy (boring), or Astarion (didn't trust him after he tried to kill me and then tried to get a midnight snack from me), and all those personal quests could have added more time.

I would have done all those if I didn't have to long rest all the drat time, but even as a max level sorcerer I was still long resting every other battle. That was the most annoying part of the game, having to hold my breath the multiple times the screen faded to black in a long rest, because any of them could be yet another story beat, battle, etc. I don't know the solution though, given D&D's system. I think it'd be too little friction giving players a "refresh all spell slots and abilities" button... though there are the long rest potions of angelic whatever.

Even getting to max level mid-way in act 3 didn't bother me, every fight was rewarding. Gear was getting to OP levels, but all of it was well-earned. There was a lot of build-around equipment that I want to use in future playthroughs.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

LifeLynx posted:

Finished the game just now. It was the best distraction from a bad bout of COVID that I could hope for. Learning 90% of the way through that Larian bowed out and I wasn't going to see any more of these characters made the ending and epilogue more impactful and emotional. I had sixty-ish hours on my save file and did everything I wanted. I looked on the BG3 wiki and saw I missed two or three short-length quests in act 3 that probably would have added a few more hours. I had Karlach in my party until I recruited that very last companion, and then when the end fight was over she reminded me in a sad way that I never completed her personal quest. Whoops. She's the one where it doesn't matter though; in the epilogue she goes back to Avernus and has a blast beating her way to getting a new heart. I also didn't bother with Gale (who I benched after his necrotic aura bug nearly wiped me), Wyll (boring), the Druid guy (boring), or Astarion (didn't trust him after he tried to kill me and then tried to get a midnight snack from me), and all those personal quests could have added more time.

If Karlach went back to Avernus instead of dying, you completed her quest as much as it's possible to do so; there's no way to fully repair her heart within the scope of the game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I would have done all those if I didn't have to long rest all the drat time, but even as a max level sorcerer I was still long resting every other battle. That was the most annoying part of the game, having to hold my breath the multiple times the screen faded to black in a long rest, because any of them could be yet another story beat, battle, etc. I don't know the solution though, given D&D's system. I think it'd be too little friction giving players a "refresh all spell slots and abilities" button... though there are the long rest potions of angelic whatever.

Even getting to max level mid-way in act 3 didn't bother me, every fight was rewarding. Gear was getting to OP levels, but all of it was well-earned. There was a lot of build-around equipment that I want to use in future playthroughs.
Congrats.
Got a favorite quest/companion/fight?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Congrats.
Got a favorite quest/companion/fight?

Shadowheart ended up being my favorite companion and questline once I figured out I could respec her into something useful. When RPG games let you align with evil characters, I expect them to be more like what Astarion is: "we're in the same boat so we might as well stick together, but you'll probably backstab me at the earliest opportunity". Maybe I don't read a lot of fantasy genre fiction, but it's nice to see an evil character with a good reason for following the dark god. Felt like the cult itself could have been portrayed as having a good side better, but then they wouldn't be easy cannon fodder. I ended up romancing Lae'zel kind of by accident (she liked how I killed things real good) but the developers wrote this sweet platonic relationship for Shadowheart. Looking forward to seeing the other direction her storyline could go. What's the deal if you don't bring her along? Her prism item is essential to the plot. Does it just jump its way into your inventory?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nice. 60 hours is very fast for a first run so I would guess you definitely missed some stuff. Not saying that as a bad thing, the game is just loving huge. There are some Reddit posts of checklists for each act that I found after I beat the game and it was a big :aaaaa: at all the crap I didn’t see. Like just as a quick example you mentioned skipping Astarion’s quest. He has a major dungeon and one of the hardest encounters in act 3 associated with his storyline.

As far as having to long rest constantly as a caster, yeah it do be like that. I mitigated it by having 3 martials in my party and letting them carry as much as possible. Monk, swords bard, throw barb all go and then usually everything is about dead. Maybe fart out a cantrip or magic missile or CC spell on the caster turn so the others can mop up. Unless it’s a hard fight then I dump the level 5/6 spell slot clips. I’m with you though I don’t love the gameplay as a full time caster bound by long rests. Give me the martials who can go forever.

There are some specific gear sets people have posted ITT for doing amazing damage with magic missile or frost cantrips which I have not personally tried but sound fun.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Wait wait wait my description made it seem way more grandiose than it is. 90s Power Rangers the big bad monster of the week was just the regular bad but now the size of a building.

Specifically the mook Goldar who usually just got bigger and had on some gaudy gold armor like Bane Boy.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

astarion's arc is actually great, definitely check him out if you do another run

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
on subsequent playthroughs I've found myself mostly using martials and then having one caster on hand but only using them for boss fights really, it lets me long rest way less often

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I did caster heavy my first run which I kind of regret because I also skimped on long rests to save camp supplies so there was an awful lot of boring cantrip fights while Astarion ran around cleaning up.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

on subsequent playthroughs I've found myself mostly using martials and then having one caster on hand but only using them for boss fights really, it lets me long rest way less often

building around cantrips helps cut down on resting, I did one very good mage and obviously a warlock to carry most encounters for my all caster run. but I just don't enjoy casters the way I did in the first two games, and martials are super fun jumping around using maneuvres and flourishes and shoving.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

mycot posted:

They're not even real robots! They're just more tadpoles! What a scam.

theyre zombies in power armor :admech101:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah play however you want but if you think Gortash did nothing wrong you must have skipped a lot of content lol.
I mean, I met him, he told me to kill murderchick, I did a bunch of checks to find out if he was going to betray me, he wasn't, so I didn't. I killed Raphael because he was openly trying to gently caress me over, so my logic was 'This guy is a dick, but he's not trying to gently caress me over', and then The Netherbrain killed him so I didn't have to deal with him.

The only plot point I actively hated was (ENDGAME SPOILER) The Emperor U-Turning entirely and rejoining the Netherbrain? What the gently caress man. You might think I'm completely wrong choosing to free Opheus, and I could even handle having to fight you for it, but that doesn't make joining the Big Bad make any sense. It was a huge letdown, and it felt very against his arc, given how much of his story was escaping slavery. Also Monk Minsc murked him in a single round.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Zodium posted:

astarion's arc is actually great, definitely check him out if you do another run

He is my Origin character this run and I just today finished his quest...

:evilbuddy:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

I mean, I met him, he told me to kill murderchick, I did a bunch of checks to find out if he was going to betray me, he wasn't, so I didn't. I killed Raphael because he was openly trying to gently caress me over, so my logic was 'This guy is a dick, but he's not trying to gently caress me over', and then The Netherbrain killed him so I didn't have to deal with him.

The only plot point I actively hated was (ENDGAME SPOILER) The Emperor U-Turning entirely and rejoining the Netherbrain? What the gently caress man. You might think I'm completely wrong choosing to free Opheus, and I could even handle having to fight you for it, but that doesn't make joining the Big Bad make any sense. It was a huge letdown, and it felt very against his arc, given how much of his story was escaping slavery. Also Monk Minsc murked him in a single round.

Hated that too. Worst character in the game also, telling me to not do anything fun. And trying to make me become an illithid, along with being a multi-layered device for storytelling revelations. "ALSO what if he was Balduran, the founder of the city?" Get outta here.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Monk Minsc is a strong play I hadn't considered. Monk Durge makes a for a better duel with Orin, though.

So I guess we're going Sorc Minsc :laugh:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Hated that too. Worst character in the game also, telling me to not do anything fun. And trying to make me become an illithid, along with being a multi-layered device for storytelling revelations. "ALSO what if he was Balduran, the founder of the city?" Get outta here.

Definitely where the games plot derails and then does an evel knievel to the other side of the canyon.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Lawman 0 posted:

Definitely where the games plot derails and then does an evel knievel to the other side of the canyon.

yeah, it loving rules(?)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Gortash needed to get in a giant mecha or something. He's basically just a guy when you fight him as opposed to Thorm or Orin, who have super duper boss forms.

Shockeh posted:

I feel like Primary Class 8/Secondary Class 4 is probably the sweet spot for everyone; There's very little benefit to 12 in anything really apart from Wizard/Sorc, and even that's debatable, and the only exception was Minsc who ended up Monk 9/Rogue 3 for the Bonus Action.

Fighter 11 gets a third attack.

But yeah, DnD puts their capstones at 17 or 20, not 12, so there's no big payoff. A lot of classes are front loaded and you can pick up some neat features in levels 1-3, and then four gives a feat.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

LifeLynx posted:

What's the deal if you don't bring her along? Her prism item is essential to the plot. Does it just jump its way into your inventory?
Short answer, Yes. Long answer: There are several different fail-state scenes they specifically inserted so that if you don't get her to join you you will still end up with the artifact along the way. If she is in your party but at camp it jumps to you, but they have also structured it so you can't abandon her without ever joining the party and leave the artifact behind. It's a little artificial but probably better than just having you die because you got too far from her

Shockeh posted:

It sounds like you missed some of his ongoing story that makes it clear what an absolute dick he is. Did you get to the Foundry or the Iron Throne? If not you didn't find the part where he has enslaved a bunch of gnomes to make his robots by fitting them with suicide collars and locking their families in an underwater prison, and also the robots are actually eviscerated people corrupted by tadpoles and wired into his constructs. He is more personable than the others but still a real shithead

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I agree with everyone else above about the Emperor

Regarding Gortash the dude plotted to literally take over the world as an avatar of the god of oppression and hate. Sub plots of this include taking slaves and cutting out their eyes. And also capturing their families and putting them in an underwater prison as hostages just in case the first thing didn’t suck enough. The only remotely sympathetic story beat is if you find his family shoe shop and learn they sold him to hell to pay off a minor debt and he somehow escaped. But he immediately continues the cycle of abuse on Karlach

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Eau de MacGowan posted:

gortash had a god form? when i fought him all he had was a bunch of home alone traps and a force field

then karlach threw him through a table, dudley boyz style

If you fight him in the bell tower you can chuck him into the bell.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Ashcans posted:

Short answer, Yes. Long answer: There are several different fail-state scenes they specifically inserted so that if you don't get her to join you you will still end up with the artifact along the way. If she is in your party but at camp it jumps to you, but they have also structured it so you can't abandon her without ever joining the party and leave the artifact behind. It's a little artificial but probably better than just having you die because you got too far from her

It sounds like you missed some of his ongoing story that makes it clear what an absolute dick he is. Did you get to the Foundry or the Iron Throne? If not you didn't find the part where he has enslaved a bunch of gnomes to make his robots by fitting them with suicide collars and locking their families in an underwater prison, and also the robots are actually eviscerated people corrupted by tadpoles and wired into his constructs. He is more personable than the others but still a real shithead
You know - I didn't do either, as I didn't need to! :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

If you fight him in the bell tower you can chuck him into the bell.

The sheer number of problems you can solve by hitting Throw was one of my biggest takeaways from reading this thread

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shockeh posted:

the emperors arc is basically that he's a huge piece of poo poo liar who was only let go by the elder brain to break it out. one interpretation is that he thinks you can't win and is a survival at any cost kind of guy, so better enslavement than oblivion, but I think he's just illithid through and through. either way he's at least super evil.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Zodium posted:

the emperors arc is basically that he's a huge piece of poo poo liar who was only let go by the elder brain to break it out. one interpretation is that he thinks you can't win and is a survival at any cost kind of guy, so better enslavement than oblivion, but I think he's just illithid through and through. either way he's at least super evil.

the worst kind of villain: a landlord

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Zodium posted:

See, I didn't feel that at all until that moment - I wanted to believe in the broken free of control line, until that U-Turn. So much of his character development was he's managed to escape the curse of Illithid, yes, is still engaging in acts of evil with good intentions (using Orpheus - Bearing in mind the Githyanki are Capital E Evil themselves) but at least to him (and largely, to me - Orpheus imprisonment vs The Capital End Of All Faerun) the ends are justifying the means. I could even buy into him turning on us because of our belief that freeing Orpheus was an option - Fine, we could end up in combat over it, and upon beating him either follow through and kill him or let him go. It was just... putting the shackles back on, that seems a mad choice.

E: Aside - I'd be wholly unsurprised if, if we ever get a Larian post-mortem, that was a 'poo poo we ran out of time' point of development, and they had to wrap it up; It happens so late in the arc and to so little fanfare it does feel rushed.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shockeh posted:

See, I didn't feel that at all until that moment - I wanted to believe in the broken free of control line, until that U-Turn. So much of his character development was he's managed to escape the curse of Illithid, yes, is still engaging in acts of evil with good intentions (using Orpheus - Bearing in mind the Githyanki are Capital E Evil themselves) but at least to him (and largely, to me - Orpheus imprisonment vs The Capital End Of All Faerun) the ends are justifying the means. I could even buy into him turning on us because of our belief that freeing Orpheus was an option - Fine, we could end up in combat over it, and upon beating him either follow through and kill him or let him go. It was just... putting the shackles back on, that seems a mad choice.

if you do the ansur fight and tell him to "gently caress off freak" during the long rest where he tries to bone you, you'll get a better idea who he really is. he has no good intentions.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He knows that Orpheus will loving end him if he is freed. Not a maybe, not a possibility, a dead certainty. Maybe he will be spared long enough to fight the Netherbrain, but maybe not. There’s no outcome where Orpheus is free and he survives. Better to risk slavery, because he’s already escaped that once.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah if I have one complaint about the ending, it’s that the last second emperor team change felt like embarrassingly, cartoonishly bad

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Khizan posted:

He knows that Orpheus will loving end him if he is freed. Not a maybe, not a possibility, a dead certainty. Maybe he will be spared long enough to fight the Netherbrain, but maybe not. There’s no outcome where Orpheus is free and he survives. Better to risk slavery, because he’s already escaped that once.

he didn't escape slavery though. that's the big reveal immediately before he flips!!

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Zodium posted:

he didn't escape slavery though. that's the big reveal immediately before he flips!!

but he could in the future and that's better than death to him

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

he's basically mind flayer gale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

He's non-stop big reveals and that's why he's rear end. Hate to bring up Robot Chicken because that's also rear end, but I used to watch it on Adult Swim because it was on; but there was a Star Wars scene where after Darth Vader does the "I am your father" speech and Luke says "No, that's impossible", Vader goes on to give other revelations such as "Also, the Empire will be defeated by Ewoks" to Luke's increasingly disinterested disbelief. That's my experience with his revelations - that's the eighth or so ridiculous one, and I'm done caring.

Not going to let him ruin what was otherwise a near perfect game.