Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

has anyone tried running a wisdom Ranger? grabbing shillelagh, going to town with multi-attacks and high DC nature spells. There's more support for that build in pnp, but I wonder if it would be fun in bg3.

i'd probably do spore druid 7/ranger 5 for something like that, since ranger's tier 3 spells are very "eh" if you're not doing a gilgamesh cosplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Entropic posted:

I'm still extremely unclear on the whole ceremorphosis thing, a lot of stuff makes it sound like the person who hatches a mindflayer basically dies and their soul is destroyed and they're replaced by a mind flayer who has all their memories but is a different person? But then a bunch of stuff in this game seems to suggest that's not the case and it's basically just that you're the same person but you grow tentacles and get psychic powers.

the official lore is that ceremorphosis obliterates the old personality completely except in rare circumstances, so i'd chalk up any deviations from that in this game to being explained by the main contrivance of the plot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

How is every warlock built around eldritch blast when there is a whole subclass about using swords?

because eldritch blast's raw output equals melee at a baseline and badly, badly outclasses it once you get the two big +CHA modifier bonuses to its damage

the only point at which this changes is all the way at level 12 where blade warlock gets +CHA to melee damage, but that's a drat long time to sit on your haunches waiting for your character concept to truly comes together

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 19, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Lae'zel's dialogue and githyanki in general give me Klingon vibes

she's more-or-less the sexy bat lady version of TNG worf, right down to the "i can only enjoy sex if we're simultaneously fistfighting" bit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

They're extremely Fantasy Klingon, yes. A shame there's no gith Gowron to interact with.

we're still a long time away from mocap tech that could accurately replicate robert o'reilly's eyes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

10 Beers posted:

I'm never going to beat this game. Mostly because, in typical me fashion, I keep making new characters.

That being said, what do people like for Warlock subclass, Fiend or Great Old One?

fiend gets a broadly better spell selection, especially fireball, and i found its subclass features more consistently helpful in terms of survival and utility

i'd say that great old one's biggest flaw is that its spell list is, like, 90% concentration options, but those are all butting heads with what's arguably the best AoE control zone in the whole game (hunger of hadar), so it's hard to justify taking it aside from flavor

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monathin posted:

GOO does get Hunger of Hadar's big brother in Evard's Black Tentacles, which is a mmreal motherfucker of a spell all on its own.

i tend to put hadar higher because LoS blocking is ridiculously strong whenever you have an opportunity to bottleneck groups. the one really hard fight i had in act 3 (the githyanki group in the emperor's old office) became a thousand times easier once i positioned everyone out of LoS and laid down hunger on the stairwell, which forced everyone to funnel into the crippling blind zone one by one. probably works a treat during shadowheart's quest, too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

also a total aside but it's such a good goddamn feeling to see BG3wiki finally topping fextralife's dogshit garbage pile on google's results, good riddance

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Halfling Bard was my very first Tav and an excellent first time character to experience the game with. I don't think I rolled a single 1 on any speech check.

yeah, bard is my prime recommendation for any brand new players who don't know what kind of dude they want. you get a very strong base class with a little bit of everything, 3 subclasses that all cater to different playstyles, and a zillion skills that allow you to make things as sureproof or uncertain as you'd care to have in a first time playthrough

as for race: pick whatever you like the most aesthetically, as they make a very small difference overall beyond highly minmaxed builds. if you're really stuck, wood elf is a rock solid choice for most characters, since you get bonus movement speed, two free proficiencies, immunity to sleep, and don't look like a gremlin or a lizard bug

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Refried Noodle posted:

I'm trying a two character HM run, because full party feels a bit too easy still and solo seems like a chore. So far it's very fun. I died multiple times in situations where I know I should have approached the fight differently, but a single bad crit or hold person is not the end of the run.

this is a good option for Elite Gamers in RPGs like this. i did a similar thing in PoE2 where i did PotD with a 4 person party and it was boatloads of fun

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BG3 has the dual advantage of being one of the most phenomenal video games ever put to print and also not being weighed down by the rot-ridden reputation of the terfmaster general, so it's an easy choice to make

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

To the thread,what are your guys computer specs that you let you play on medium settings (and maybe above) smoothly at 1920x1080?

I’m not looking for a supercomputer or ultra graphics just something that’ll let me play smoothly and non stuttery.

i can run things just fine on an i5-12400F paired with a 3060 Ti i got on the cheap. i do get a bit of slowdown in act 3 in the highly populated city parts, but that's to be expected if you don't have a monster CPU on hand

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

poo poo online says you aren't supposed to have Summon Shovel permanently, but I seem to. Did they change that?

i'm reasonably certain they changed it in patch 2 or 3 to be permanent if you choose a dialogue option with her

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

balthasar has, quite genuinely, one of the best performances in the entire game, even though it's a comparatively small role all things considered. "gloating psychotic mad scientist guy" is one of those ham-and-cheese archetypes that, in a lesser game, would absolutely be voiced by some dude eating the scenery in one big bite, but balthasar's VA has tremendous presence and menace that makes him come across completely differently than i was expecting. it's the kind of out-and-out Villain Voice i haven't heard since turel in LoK

i do think J.K simmons phoned it in a bit with ketheric, but it's understandable: it's a genre and style (operatic high fantasy) that he doesn't have a ton of experience with, and the omni-man voice only works well in invincible because he has more energetic foils to contrast him instead of a silent protagonist

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Just got this and i'm not familiar with 5e - any particular classes i should roll?

bard's a rock solid starting option if you're unsure of what you want to do. they get a little bit of everything, have three great subclasses with different playstyles, and a ton of spare skills so you can specialize in whatever strikes your fancy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

The second I showed up at moonrise there was a big epic battle at the front gates and I killed everyone.

So what is everyone talking about with the freeing people and the potions and the Drow lady etc etc etc is this a different game?

(act 2) you need to head to moonrise before passing the point of no return or else all of that will become inaccessible

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've heard magic missile is real good but it seems like I'm missing something because it's kind of bad on my sorcerer. Maybe there's a wizard ability to improve it?

magic missile is good because it counts as several individual hits, all of which can trigger effects that apply flat bonus damage. it's average on its own, aside from helping with an act 3 mechanic that pops up occasionally, but it becomes truly ludicrous damage when you stack up a bunch of per-hit damage sources on a target

evocation wizard benefits especially hard from this since their capstone trait gives them +INT damage on all their spell hits, which turns magic missile into an even more hilarious murder machine

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Then you get to act 3 and realise that 2 levels of spore Druid will let you give your entire party haste as a bonus action.

unfortunately, this requires wearing a frankly not very good piece of light armor, has a teeny tiny effect range, only lasts for a single turn if you move out of the cloud, and can only be used once per long rest

if you've built optimally on tactician you only need the 3 turns of a potion of speed anyways

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the big benefit of being independently owned and operated with a megahit under your belt is that you get to do whatever the gently caress you want without executive mandates to produce as safe and bland a product as humanly possible

i'd like to be more optimistic, but the most likely lesson companies take from BG3 isn't "people really like turn-based combat with bespoke encounter design" but rather "people love full facial mocap and highly fuckable companions"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Qubee posted:

I've got no idea how this mechanic could be improved to be less frustrating since it is basically just RNG, but it feels like the XCOM series where you can be right next to an enemy with all the stars aligned and manage to whiff three times in a row despite a solid 80% chance to hit.

you do what PoE did and make it so that true misses only happen a vanishingly small portion of the time (which i think was 5% base in their system, e.g. a natural 1), with results under the defense target but above the miss threshhold dealing reduced damage instead of no damage, and effects either applying for a shorter duration or applying a less powerful but still useful debuff

D&D doesn't do this for a combination of legacy reasons, increased tabletop complexity (every additional math equation you have to solve at a table slows down play astronomically), and the lows of gambling being more easily mitigated by a sympathetic DM

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question: Hey why aren't drow under "Elf" in character creation? deep gnomes and grey dwarves don't get their own category!!

unless the FR lore changed, drow are considered a distinct species due to their corruption by lloth, to the point that one of the really big "yikes" 4E epic destinies (level 20+ prestige classes) was Redeemed Drow, where you overcame the malevolent stink of your tainted bloodline to become a good drow

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The gith patrol is gnarly as gently caress if you fail the deception check, jesus.

i wish the gith showed up more because they're some of the only encounters that genuinely require careful thought on tactician, especially the patrol at the level you run into them

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JBP posted:

Here's something I've never figured out. When you go down into Ethel's and there is poisons everywhere how can you avoid it? I just run through it all and accept taking a tiny amount of damage (or none if you roll saves), even on tactician. The biggest challenge is pressing g and making everyone run down individually because they stop and look at the gas if you don't.

survival checks will reveal vent traps that you can put chests on top of to block the poison, although the far easier method is to feather fall + enhance leap your entire party and then just yeet yourself to the bottom to bypass it entirely

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lost old man posted:

Co-op’ing with a friend of mine and he attacked and killed the zhents too because they’re “evil thieves” and “gently caress these assholes.” He does this every time he comes across an npc he doesn’t like. We’re constantly fighting people who are either just minding their own business or they offer a quest that sounds like a crime and he’s like “nope, I don’t do quests for evil people.” He pouted for an hour because the hag got away after the fight and he didn’t get to kill her outright. He yelled at me for doing the boots quest in the underdark and accused me of “siding with slavers” even though doing the quest and then killing them are not mutually exclusive.

Neither of us have finished act 1 and have no idea what’s going to happen later on. I keep trying to tell him that removing npcs from the game is probably cutting us off from good items or story bits but he doesn’t care. I know there’s no “wrong” way to play this game but it’s all very unsatisfying. Maybe we should have done solo games first?

your friend's a weird dick and you should cut and do a solo run so you can actually enjoy one of the greatest CRPGs ever

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mycot posted:

This game is so aggressively and deliberately against the white straight man fantasy that I'm pretty sure anyone making those anti-diversity mods are doing it out of sheer spite.

it's a more broadly pervasive attitude since that kind of inclusivity has become the norm rather than the exception in modern gaming. some segments of the internet were absolutely losing their poo poo when SF6 let you choose your pronouns and had a seemingly nonbinary black host character in the battle hub

you really just have to whack 'em with a newspaper until they scamper off, and i'm glad sites like nexusmods aren't tolerating bullshit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

coruscation ring should be put on someone with strong multi-hit attacks, preferably wizard/sorc, since the effect applies per instance of damage. you can easily magic missile something into -7 tohit and not have to worry about getting him by them for the rest of the fight

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

on a more practical level, evil murder-loving roleplayers are a vanishing minority of people who play CRPGs, and properly allocating resources means that the best they can do is give you the option and ensure it doesn't break the critical path

the fact that durge is even in the game is a minor miracle, and i doubt it would've even happened if their plans hadn't changed during deveopment

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

grack posted:

Durge should've been canon for this game.

i'm fine with them being an option for people to take instead of the main character. i think they provide a genuinely great and totally unique experience when it comes to playing a CRPG, but the central hook is something that would absolutely chase most people away, and you can't make back what had to have been a king's ransom of a budget on cult status alone

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Oh my god Jaheira's AI what the gently caress are you doing...

if you have a save before that, go through her dialogue options and tell her specifically to follow you; she'll join your party as a temporary companion and you can direct her to not immediately run to her death

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's kind of an either/or situation. If another party member gets abducted, then Yenna remains human for the rest of the game. If nobody else gets abducted, then she eventually morphs into Orin. The kid is basically there to ensure somebody in your camp is there to turn even if you've had some spectacular failure run where everyone else is dead.

it's especially obvious if you ever get suspicious and try to tell the kid off in future runs; she and the cat will reappear every single long rest asking to come into the camp, regardless of how many times you tell her to scram

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Minor act 3 spoiler: I just read that there's an island with dinosaurs on it?!? How on earth do you get there?

(act 3) you have to win the genie's jackpot; the most straightforwards way for most parties is to pickpocket the mage hand ring he has on him, then play his game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monathin posted:

Custom Difficulty should allow you to, in theory, make the game easier than even Explorer difficulty, and it should be available on consoles. If he does custom difficulty he can also adjust (most) of the sliders as he goes if he finds they're too easy/hard.

there's also a million mods out there that can give you as many crazy bonuses as you want, so getting stuck shouldn't be an issue

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the biggest issue in D&D games more broadly is that there's no rate limiting on damage output: you have all your spell slots and items immediately available at the start of every battle, so there's every incentive in the world to blow them to reduce incoming damage/CC to a point you can trivially manage

the no-contest hardest enemies in the entire game are the githyanki precisely because they've got a passive (parry) that rate limits your damage output and forces you to contest with them for at least a few rounds without immediately executing them

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I think Globe of Invulnerability is a good counterexample to your argument, but I’ll admit I don’t know how well it holds up since the last few patches / in Honour Mode.

globe is invaluable in a single fight in the game (maybe two if you're not hyper optimized) where everything is beefy enough to not be shanked by your opener, but you're better off spending that action point on chain lightning in every other case

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

tfw you weight paint with front faces only enabled by accident

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Oh my god what is this autistic thread’s preferred term for doing things out of the intended order so I can discuss it without stupid definition replies about it

as a person with actual irl diagnosed autism spectrum disorder, please shut the gently caress up and stop using autistic as an insult. thank you

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I just found a new problem. Trying to bust Florrick out of jail without having to kill the entire fortress. I haul rear end out of the fortress and as soon as I do, she stops being controllable but we're still in combat so she charges in unarmed with predictable results.

(act 3) there's a second way out of the dungeon that doesn't involve hitting up the fortress. have a look around carefully

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

all i really want out of the items is more interesting synergies to open up unique build opportunities, which is something they already sort of tried to do in act 1 with the various unique effects like lightning charges, but likely had to ditch due to time constraints

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

as a spanish speaker, i can confirm that "vegetarian" means "full meat only"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

Is anything mechanically happening when my party tells me they’re exhausted? Like, if I don’t take any damage in a fight and I have a party of, say, champion fighters. No need to short rest or anything. Does that affect anything?

as far as i know, it's purely a way for the game to tell you that there's in-camp events available, although it might also be partly related to how long it's been since you long rested