Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Looking promising, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Qubee posted:

What a terrible oversight.

Yeah, on your part. Learn to love F5.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

For serious, though, I got to Act III for the first time last night and started seeing graphics bugs I never have had before. The guard outside the gate that denies you entry had her teeth and gums halfway out her left cheek and a band stretching from the right off into infinity. Gnome merchant in the cave had a completely smooth face, also with the band, and my PC was running even hotter than it normally does. I should probably turn a few settings down.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thundarr posted:

rather than immediately turning into an owlbear.

I don't understand.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cannot believe how poorly designed the hag fight is. When I played it my screen immediately switched over to a message saying that I needed to send bitcoin or my computer wouldn't be unlocked. Smh my head how could Larian let this slip through? I don't think they did any QA testing at all during the multiple years of development and early access. More like Failian, am I right?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah I've recently become something of an "all ice all the time" party. Ice arrows on my duel-wielding hand crossbow Tav, ice bolt on Gale, ice knife on the two druids. It's hilarious watching Big Bads have their legs go out from underneath them.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do you get them wet for 2x damage?

:aaa:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So am i right in thinking this games a T-posing stuttery mess for everyone else as well? (A good entertaining mess)

Can i hope it’ll be polished as the updates happen?

Nope, I've never seen a single t-pose, nor had any stuttering. Only issue has been some quest tag wonkyness and some graphics glitches but otherwise it's been a totally smooth experience.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Can you can recruit Minthara if you just leave the grove to its fate? When I finish my current goody-two-shoes completionist Durge run I'm planning on a "ruthless Shadowheart" run and she's totally fine bugging out of there. Might as well see a new companion since I'm going to be short one or two.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Holy poo poo, that's almost perfect except that Nadja would be the Shadowheart of the party.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Act 3 spoiler Killed Orin and got her armor, but something's fucky

Oh good it's not just me then.

Speaking of that fight, I did it for the first time last night. (Deep Act III spoilers) Is the 1v1 Orin duel supposed to be unwinnable? I guess maybe if you're a melee/tank Durge you could pull it off but my relatively squishy Ranger/Rogue was literally torn apart in one turn by the Orin monster form. Since the Durge story continues with your defeat I'm sort of assuming that's the expected outcome.

Also, as I near the endgame and am starting to see how everyone's ending choices are taking shape, I really like how if you want you can be the leader of a team that absolutely refuses to learn from their mistakes. Gale goes all in on "this time my insane scheme to show up my ex get power will totally work!", Astarian and Shadowheart perpetuating their cycles of abuse, Wyll starting to truly believe his bullshit persona, etc. It's great.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I do like how when he's killed instead of disappearing like most corpses you can find his body out back where they dumped him.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

Is it not a game over if you lose that specific Durge fight? I didn't know so I had prepared to the best I could.

Nope, which is why I thought the fight might be impossible to win.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I just assumed they came from humans and dragons loving.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hell yeah, roll that bard/barbarian/cleric.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I really do not like astarion, as a person, every convo i've had with him he's proven himself to be a perfect sociopath, I cannot imagine wanting to "romance" him, even if i ever do an "evil" playthrough

I would go so far as to argue that Astarion/resist Dark Uurge should be the canon romance. (act III durge) When Bhaal condemns you to slowly going insane he commiserates with you in a really emotional and heartfelt way, like he's finally dropping the snark persona. Alas, I'm already committed to Lae'zel.

Meanwhile, Shadowheart of all people is very victim-blamey about it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Monathin posted:

Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous are also iirc both working off Pathfinder 1st Edition, which was basically "we have 3.5e at home". I don't know to what extents that game tries to mess with the existing PF1e ruleset (I never got around to playing them), but PF 1e is just a much, much crunchier game at baseline than D&D 5e and often to its detriment in some places.

I never finished Kingmaker but there are just so many options and when I was looking up info on it lots of places said that it's absurdly easy to take something suboptimal at level 4 and basically cripple yourself as to make the endgame unbeatable.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Oh sing the song of Balduran, who founded Baldur's Gate ..."

There, now you have that stuck in your head the same way that I do.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've always been shocked more people aren't lusting over the halfling trader in the grove, the first merchant you meet.

"May you find balance" *makes intense eye contact and pouts*

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the entire thing of the cast playing D&D, but I have started to find animatics on YouTube of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jab5sNybBOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEeUp41utxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf_OiTwe8E

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's because nobody looks at Twitter anymore.

But that was worth it. I hope they keep putting things like this out.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I use this mod, which either gives you double xp the whole game, or gives you enough xp to hit level 6 right after you crash the nautuloid then sets it back to normal progression.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Elk gives not only you but everyone near you a movement bonus so that's nice, and you can body slam fools off of cliffs.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

I probably would have taken it if I wasn't already playing a reticent Dark Urge lady. Why would I abstain from becoming a murder god while *also* just being like "yeah give me all the evil tentacle powers baybeee"

Kind of messy thematically.

Same, and another thing I really like about that choice is how Astarian flat out refuses to do it because despite wanting to go all in on tadpoles this is way too similar to how vampirism changes your body.

Really, Act III is when I went from "yeah his VA is good but I'm not sure why he's being singled out for all these awards" to "ohhhhh."

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ZearothK posted:

I took a nap and dreamed that in Honour mode you had to beat Raphael in a trivia deathmatch after defeating the final boss.

Sleeping Dogs style karaoke minigame for his boss fight music.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thinking about my next run as Origin Shadowheart and I'm considering making her a monk since this playthrough she was a paladin. She gets unique dialogue prompts as [Cleric of Shar] and even [Paladin of Shar], but does anybody know if she's got any [Sharran Monk] dialogue?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Finally beat the game for the first time after 230 hours (that includes lots of restarts, though). Final battle was a lot of fun, although I fell into the same trap with the reinforcements that I did with grenades, potions, and elixirs; i.e. "better save them for later, you never know."

Everyone got a happy ending except for Tav; the city was saved, Shadowheart, Astarian, and Wyll were free from their pasts, Gale finally learned from his mistakes, Karlach is 100% down with her new non-about-to-explode Illithid body, and after a bittersweet goodbye Lae'zel flew off with Orpheus to live her best life by killing a demigod.

Tav immediately went insane from the Urge though so I didn't get to actually interact with any of the epilogue save for the scene where you get ready to attack the party. :(

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thundarr posted:

As Durge, if you accept Bhaal's inheritance it's too late to resist and you're ride-or-die evil. Defiance after that point is basically selecting "die".

I didn't, but I lost to Orin in the 1v1 fight because I was a squishy Ranger/Rogue and she literally one-shotted me, which made dad disappointed enough to doom me.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ashcans posted:

To be fair she readily volunteers because she’s dying, so it’s more like you assist her suicide by ceremorphosis so that she leaves behind a creature with her memories and aspects of her personality.

There’s a reasonable argument that Astarion is in the same situation if he ascends.

Yeah, she talked me into it! ... is what I tell myself to keep from getting too depressed :(

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Middle name can be Bhaalspawn.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Several weeks on and I'm still bummed that my goody-two-shoes completionist resist Durge didn't actually get to see any of the epilogue. I lost the duel with Orin so dad condemned me to go insane. As soon as the Netherbrain is defeated you stumble off in a red haze and that's it. Game over, no participating in the epilogue for you.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Man rangers are pretty boring

Counterpoint: 5 gloomstalker/4 assassin/3 fighter was fun as hell.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I'm actually legit upset that Grub gets fed to you by Orin disguised as Yenna. Straight up gently caress the devs for including something like this. This is why I quit playing this game.

You know it's just a video game and no actual animals were harmed, right?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It made me feel like Orin had just signed her own death warrent, that's for sure.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

What's interesting here is that it is arguably more hosed up to not feel disgusted by the game's (very frequent) depiction of brutal violence against people. The ubiquity of violence in media has not left us desensitized to violence against animals specifically, though, so our natural what-the-gently caress reaction still pops up there even if we've already waded through 10,000 dead elves or whatever without batting an eye.

Agreed; if after all the violence, blood, dialogue about abuse/torture, anti-refugee sentiment, and all the rest you find Orin killing a cat offscreen to be so far beyond the pale you don't think the game should be played anymore, that's a you problem.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

How do so many people here have Halsin in their party lmao, I forgot he was in the flowchart above Yenna

I only did because I've got the party size expanded mod and so have everybody in my party at all times.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Azran posted:

I saw this mod, I imagine it breaks quest and banter scripts something fierce lol

The opposite, it means you get to hear all of the banter between all the possibly party member combinations. It does bug a few things out, particularly map transitions, but those are easily fixed.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDz-MTdNeE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Ziggy likes it. If you use Party Limit Begone there are 2 spots I am aware of that will mess up if you bring more than 4 people. Under Dark Boat and House of Hope, because Hope only generates 4 copies of Debtors clothes. You can loot more in the building in the wardrobes that are in the halls but if they are spotted without them then you have set off the alarm

For the second one, you can leave the people who don't get disguises in the portal chamber because NPCs don't check in there. Also lets you do a fun two-pronged assault when the jig is up and you do have to fight.