Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Tonetta posted:

there's an entrance to the underdark back there, that's about it. I'm pretty sure you get access to it if you deliver the box unopened. it comes out in the area southeast where there's some bombs next to a net which someone always seems to trigger, preventing most players from exploring it from the other end.

There’s some shrooms you can jump up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Really? That’s one of my favorite parts of the game

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Lol, no sooner had I posted that then I came across some folks and now I have a permanent solution to the curse!

Oh yeah the game immediately trivializes it in multiple possible ways, I don’t know why they even bothered with the mechanic

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Honor mode grym trip report:

it doesn’t have ranged attacks so I just activated it and ranged attacked it to death from the stairs

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

E: misread

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Light does work

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

See invis is just a check to see if you can see them, which can still fail. You can see where they are based on the check message though which is still valuable, use aoe to knock them visible like you did

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Also yeah I ran into that polearm bug too, don’t kill yourself

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The kobold fight at the crèche is so satisfying with spike growth and hunger of hadar

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I wonder if they did that on purpose but I definitely also got jump scared by that

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

When I’m DMing irl I make my players wear a funny hat if they’re concentrating so maybe funny hats on any character that’s concentrating

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It probably is working but it doesn’t stack with unarmored defense. You’re probably seeing the exact same number with 13 + dex vs 10 + dex + con

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Leveling up past 12 sounds terrible. Just turn it on explorer

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah don’t bother looking at her AC. Boost her with aid and if you have it, heroes’ feast. If she is really getting beat up just get a cleric hireling and warding bond her then leave the cleric behind in your camp

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This is a really good idea.

Also, when I first read your post I didn't think of concentration in the BG3 or D&D context, I thought you made people wear funny hats whenever it looked like they were really paying attention to something.

"I'm sorry Dave, you're clearly distracted by the TV over there, give me the hat".

Nah if everyone’s really distracted I take out my custom 30-50 living mage hands monster and slap them around for a whole session

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Entropic posted:

I thought of that but if they're stuck in the barrel it's a closed system...

What weighs more 30 lbs or wine or 30 lbs of piss

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Maybe nonlethal knock out Halsin? Make sure you do it with melee and not spells or ranged attacks

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Lae’zel is a brat, not a dom

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Halsin loves to cum too much which let me tell you is definitely a disability

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have to do durge for honor mode? That seems like extra-hard mode.

I did durge for my first honour mode run and it’s indeed extra hard mode. Having Aylin present for a couple fights makes life much easier

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The ropes are off screen but you just know they’re there

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

FYI: When you're getting whipped by the Loviator dude at the Goblin Camp, you can take off all your armor for a +4 bonus to all your checks. Makes them very easy to pass for one of the best permanent buffs in the game.

Yea I did this too

For the bonus

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I find I generally have exactly 4 protection from good and evil scrolls by the time I hit Ethel’s lair so I just have everyone cast it and wear the masks then run down

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Joke’s on them I am really good at picking options (I’ve completed the game as gith 4 times)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I have like 350 hours in bg3 at this point and I’ll be the first to admit that the game won goty purely on the strength of acts 1 and 2. I think act 3 doesn’t stick the landing at all and those criticisms are totally valid

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It is ok to like act 3 but it doesn’t tie up anything introduced in act 1 or 2 very well and in fact introduces a fuckton of brand new stuff it has to very quickly resolve which is pretty jarring.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I’ve completed 4 playthroughs as a gith

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

EorayMel posted:

I like it when Dame Aylin did a backbreaker on a wizard even dumber than Gale when I got to Act 3 and went to the wizard shop for wizards

Incredible bg3 moment

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It is very easy to drop a fog cloud, darkness, hunger of hadar etc on the avatar in a way that doesn’t impact your party. AOE like wall of fire etc is your friend in that fight too

You almost certainly have a ton of scrolls you haven’t been using, now’s the time

Edit: misread what phase of the fight but still use your scrolls use aoe

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 9, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Jose posted:

I've got haste on an item on shadowheart so i'll probably stick that on astarion before the fight starts to get to nightsong faster too

Now you’re thinkin

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Also use your elixirs you don’t have to save them until the credits

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I am working on my 2nd honour mode playthrough and using spike growth + hunger of hadar on all the big fights in act 2 so far has been really satisfying

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I find the Underdark is a great place to get over the Level 4 --> 5 hump. I always tend to go there via the spider cave almost as soon as I hit Level 4 on all my characters. Great loot and EXP!

I’m just gonna quote a text I sent a friend without editing it

Start game, do required battles on nautiloid, sneak past the devourers in the nautiloid wreck, do the goblin battle to enter the grove, talk to everyone in grove, go to blighted village and talk your way out of the battle there, talk the goblins into leaving barcus alone, should be level 3 at this point, go do crypt to release withers, save people from fire at waukeen’s rest, then talk your way into the goblin camp, go into the underdark through priestess gut’s entrance, take path that skips the Minotaurs to myconid camp and run from the bulette if needed, go into the camp and talk to the hobgoblin to start the tower quest and then get the boots from the gnome. Go tell duergar you’ll return the boots, take boat to grymforge and do the statue inspection discussion, tell brithvar you’ll help, explore grymforge a bit including misty stepping up to the forge waypoint, go back to beach and there’s a side path that takes you up to the mage tower, disable the turrets and go through that whole puzzle and you should be level 5

If this doesn’t get you to 5 you can go do a couple battles and it should get you over the hump

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

If you're a githyanki it's even easier because you can get almost a full level going right to the patrol and saying "yeah um sure the artifact I'll let you know when I find it."

Oh yeah I forgot about this since I always play as a gith and forget it’s not the default lol

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I think Larian should’ve doubled down on minthara being evil and not embraced the workaround

Gloomstalker/assassin comes online when it really needs to, which is in the back third of act 2. I don’t know if that’s coming online late

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't because siding with the goblins rewards you with basically nothing but Minthara and you just cut out a bunch of ongoing plot involving the tieflings as a result.

Shocking

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Just found out about evil… not good

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Does the druid in the caverns by the grove thats unconscious show up anywhere else or does saving him really do anything for me? I forgot to save him so he dead and I looted the key thing off him.

He’s a friendly in the battle with Kagha if you expose her and the shadow Druids

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

In my experience he immediately dies in the fight but he eats an attack or two so that’s fine by me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I’ve played through the game twice both with a gloomstalker/assassin and a swords bard and functionally they fill the same niche and all that theorycrafting means the swords bard at best does more damage than needs to be done in like every encounter in the game