Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
By the time you get to the trials, i had settled nicely into Karclach, throw, Lae'zel, sword, Gale, magic missile and Tav, debuff, and hadn't taken Shadowheart out since act one, and continued not to do so.

Then, after not brining her along for the Nightsong- because why should I change up a winning team after all- she left camp for good. Probably should have expected that, in fairness. But, i got Jaheria pretty much right after, so felt a bit better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
I'm taking my time with my first playthrough- currently in the lower city- and it feels like it's going to be really hard to play anything other than a charlatan bard going forward. Pickpocket is so absurdly powerful, I can talk my way out of nearly anything, and there's basically never a fight where it's not useful to have someone whose role is to debuff the enemy.

Like, i have a million different ideas of what what to do in a followup run- not lose Shadowheart, for example- but It's been so satisfying to see this character come together

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Phlegmish posted:

You lost Hot Topic best bae Shadowheart? drat. Well, even more reason to replay the game eventually.

I accidentally let Halsin get killed during my own playthrough but I don't consider that a huge loss

Pro gaming tip for new players- maybe take characters along on their personal quests

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
I rationalised it as Tav, as in Tavern, where DnD-style adventures begin a lot.

Does a Durge character have the same in-world lines as a Tav one? There's something quite funny about the willing avatar of the God of Murder muttering about being cursed to put their hands on everything

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
For the Cazador fight okay, what is the gimmick here? Do i have to get someone on each of the runes, and then wail on him? He just keeps turning to mist, i cant knock him off the side as he just reappears where he was. I brought Astarion along, but i should probably respec him from default, as i haven't used a Astarion, or a rogue at all, this playthrough and im not getting much value

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Thanks for the Caz tips- i kept Astarion on out of the initial conversation, had Jaheria cast daylight and just started AOE-ing. Caz and co all got caught up in a Hadar/Sleet Storm/Confusion trap, while my summoned ghouls and Us mopped up

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Wow, magic missile really made the Orin fight a bit of a pushover. That and Owlbear Jaheria coming in for a landing.

At first, I reluctantly benched Karlach for her to get more city content, but I think Jaheria might be my favourite companion. Her character is great, but the tools she gets in her default setup are where she really shines for me, Guidance and Enhance Ability for rolls, having a few ccs to compliment Gale and my lore bard Tav, and wild shape for exploration/ aforementioned dropping on enemies from a height

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

She can cast divine intervention and she's only in your party for that one fight, so...

I beat this fight for the first time yesterday, that Divine Intervention came in clutch when it looked like, well, hope was lost.

That and Duellist's Peergoative forcing Raph to focus on one opponent

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
After accidently having Shadowheart leave by not taking her along for the Nightsong the House of Grief was just me rocking up, telling Viconia "nope, she dead", and getting myself a shiny new ally. Though every companion gave their line for if, presumably, you give Shart over to Viconia afterwards

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
3 months later and im finally done with playthrough 1! The last fight felt like the first in which my Lore Bard Tav was a bit supurflous in, my god though, Lazel drat near killed that loving dragon entirely on her own.

My final team was Tav, Lazel, Gale and my act III MVP, owlbear Jaheria, who made short work of the Emperor, sorry bud, but Bae'Zel wanted future mindflayer Orpheus free, and i go with the source of my joy. Also, not sorry, you were a creepy dick.

My first strategy for the fight fell apart when it turned out Globe of Invulnearbility doesn't prevent status conditions. My second, however- get everyone hepped up on speed potions, cast that mindflayer power where actions and bonuses are interchangeable, and summon every ally possible- worked *much* better.

The second phase was all Gale and Jaheria, with Tav and Laezel taking a little break.

The epilogue was sweet! Given I decided Nothing of Value was Lost when Orin took him, meloncholy Halsin was surprisingly touching.

Overall, what a game. I had high expectations from DOS2, and they were more than matched. Act 2 is one of the best atmospheres ive ever seen in a game, and while act 3 has a more meandering pace, thats something i really enjoyed.

Already planning my next run, which i might even finish in two months this time

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
BG3 is a fine game, maybe even a masterpiece, but nothing quite matches that level of Everything Is On Fire chaos from the Blackpits in DOS2

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How does pickpocketing work? I had Astarion pick pocket stuff from the tiefling smith in the grove. There were little green circles in the pickpocket mini game but I don’t know what any of it means. A couple beats after I finished, he goes “I’ve been robbed” and a different NPC ran over and said they will search for the thief. I went and talked to the tiefling smith again with Tav and then again with Astarion and it was fine. Did not trigger an arrest or anything.

It was a lot of decent equipment worth hundreds of gold, which seems rad. Pickpocketing seems super strong.

The short answer is, the more 'complete' that circle is, the easier the roll your character needs to make to successfully steal is. Like, if the thing you want to steal is a bog-standard potion, the circle will usually be nearly full and green, but a fancy set of armor costing thousands would be in the red. You can keep attempting to steal items one by one until one of your rolls fails.

When a character has been pickpocketed, they'll do the little "i've been robbed!" motion, then pretty much make a beeline for one of your party if they're nearby. In your case, if they talk to Tav after Astarion stole a pair of fancy gauntlets, Tav can turn out their pockets, and as long as they don't have any of the victim's stuff, all is good and you can go right back to pickpocketing them some more, if you want.

If they don't find any of your party to talk to, they'll give up the search after a few seconds and go back to their default state, at which point you can again start the whole merry dance all over again.

However, say they got to Astarion, at that point you can try to talk your way out of it, pay a bribe/fine/give the stuff back, or start a fight.

So, once you've pickpocketed a character, it's a good idea to get the thief as far away as possible. Either have another party member freeze the target in dialogue before starting to steal, and/or enter turn based mode before starting to pickpocket, then once you're done, use your movement to get as far away as possible, exit turn based mode, and maybe run a little bit more. It's a good idea to steal when in turn-based mode anyway, as if any random person walking by sees you crouching, it breaks your cover.

Pickpocketing is *absurdly*, game-breakingly powerful. By the end of my run, i had 30k gold because I wasn't actually spending money on anything. Well, except for (minor spoiler) the statue of my character, one has to be a patron of the arts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Halsin came on to me more than once,despite me ignoring him for most of the game, but endgame spoilers, at the reunion he's quite melancholic, and seeing this giant elf himbo be sad moved me to the point where i offered a hug