Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

*sniff* I love the new thread smell.
Been continuing my honor mode Wyll origin run, just picked up karlach and kicked the paladins butts. Thinking about tackling the owlbear cave next.
Edit: are the honor mode saves marked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

On my dick around with durge paladin tactician run [backup for when I die horribly in honor mode] I respecced to life cleric 1 since that seems to have synergy with oath of the ancients.
Primarily I'm doing it to troll shadowheart constantly since I haven't seen those interactions yet. Not romancing her though, since I have lae'zel scheduled for this run and enemies to lovers is cringeworthy.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 9, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

unattended spaghetti posted:

And as much as I crave dlc for the game, I kinda hope they stick to their guns and opt out. It would be easy to get greedy especially when the players themselves are clamoring for it, but a game that succeeds by being a complete product and isn't milked for every dine is a game the rest of the industry can learn from right now.

But really, mega dungeon dlc when?

My main wishlist would be a mp focused module and a completely seperate adventure exploring something exotic. Let this crew ride off into the sunset as best they can for now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The battlemaster maneuvers Lae'zel comes with by default are pretty powerful and it's one of the best classes in the game for that reason. They also refresh on a short rest so don't be that afraid to use them. Sneak attacks are also extremely good if you can get them. Also don't forget you can always respec/reset characters if you feel like something isn't working out, no shame in going to withers and building something, testing it out a little and reloading if you don't think it's gonna work!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Forsythia posted:

I got to level 8 on a multiplayer campaign but had to restart to a single player campaign and am just at level 4 now. Currently using a crossbow-oriented ranger as my custom character, and Astarion, Shadowheart, and Lae'zel with their starter builds. I know you can easily redo the playable character's specializations and classes and have heard that Shadowheart really should be redone, but I've held off because I don't know what I should be picking. Normally I don't have any trouble with selecting and experimenting with worthwhile abilities and builds for characters in RPGs and would just wing it, but something about the DnD combat ruleset overwhelms me and gives me choice paralysis.

I didn't feel like using Gale or Wyll and have never respecced, so I've barely dipped a toe into what offensive casters do. Sounds like I need to swap in an offense-based spellcaster, since including one is highly recommended.

Life, tempest, war, nature clerics and maxed strength will let her bonk/doing cleric things real good and have fun abilities to play around with. Light, knowledge, trickery can be useful if you are more comfortable playing her as a caster/technical cleric. Astarion I often respec to something else because Arcane trickster is...pretty middling. Gale and Wyll are incredible swap ins for part of an adventuring day and you should not be shy about spell casting in general, long rest early and often.

The Lord Bude posted:

Shadowheart’s problem, aside from trickery being garbage, is that her stats are split up across strength and dex in a way that makes her super useless in combat. You can respec her to light, and give her 17 wis/16 str/14 con/10 dex

Trickery actually has some really good spells in it's list but it's not great as a pure cleric and the first time through everyone should go for some other domain.

Edit: Also to the swords bards combo I had an amazing time with fighter 2/swords bard 10 because action surge is great.
Also with shadowheart/clerics pick up produce flame because you can use that instead of sacred flame and it will use an usual attack roll instead of the dex save that everyone makes.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 10, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Ok, sounds good! Swords bard to me definitely looks like the most main character of the classes, looking forward to seeing what it can do

Enjoy some of the funniest dialogue responses in the game imo.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

space uncle posted:

I’m playing through as Swords Bard (level 10) and it rules.

I didn’t follow the good advice or build/play optimally so I’m missing all the good rings and helms and swords and stuff from this thread and it still rules.

I’m using the Banshee Bow that frightens people and the Singing Sword.

One of the most fun things is just wandering up to every other bard and jamming out with them and having all the NPCs throw you gold.

Did you get the achievement for it yet?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

That last one is for cowards, you want power but don't want to pay the price?

:pathetic:

On the durge run I slurped down most of those bad boys and accepted the consequences.
It just made the vibe of egirl and weird Podcaster bf in act 3 more perfect.

Cross-Section posted:

Have many folks here actually done a playthrough with this mod installed? It honestly sounds super appealing to me (as a player only truly concerned with hearing all the companion quips) but every time I venture into the comments for this thing it's mostly people complaining about how such-and-such story event didn't fire properly, which doesn't come off as having a great time.

I have and basically there are a couple of specific segments you need to watch out for. That said it genuinely did improve characterization for the entire party because you get to see all the chatter and many of the unique events that you might miss if you are not constantly swapping. Highly recommend imo if you are willing to pair it with "sit this one out" or jack up the difficulty. Just be prepared to go back down with 4 and don't use it on a honor mode run.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 10, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Sounds good. I imagine hitting these segments with the expanded party won't so badly break the game that I won't be able to just dismiss folks without having to load a previous save?

No you will straight need to dismiss the party down to 4 at certain points or it will break.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Black Noise posted:

Kind of meta gamey but you really miss a lot of cutscenes due to them being locked behind long rests.

It's absolutely an incredible mod and I would highly recommend it to everyone on a first playthrough.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly I almost got wiped by Anders.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Clearing the goblin camp went pretty smoothly on honor mode with a couple of hairy moments. Unfortunately I think I messed up the new minthara recruiting method so I'll pick her up on my parallel durge run.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Qubee posted:

Having a blast playing this, but animations, camera work and general stuff is very, very janky?? I've just started playing and got to the initial fight outside of Emerald Grove. Whenever I would critical hit enemies, the camera would zoom in on their bodies but it was all out of focus and confusing, with the enemy appearing in the top right portion of the screen whilst the camera focused on the bare ground. Same with interacting with environment objects like chairs or pods, I get loads of T-posing and general glitchiness. Character animations during dialogue scenes are also weird and slightly unsettling, especially when it's my character staring blankly.

Is this just the way the game is or is there something up with my install?

PS: I just spent an hour looting and fighting and getting up to shenanigans, only to die to a necrotic cloud (I didn't know it was a necrotic cloud) and there aren't 5 minute autosave intervals. It put me right back to when I first entered the zone an hour earlier. Closed the game for the night as I can't be bothered doing all that again. What a terrible oversight.

Some of that sounds like a bug but hard agree that the Tav (PC) animations are generally awful compared to the ones for NPCs and companions.
Edit: Especially compared to things released this year, oof.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 11, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Shadowheart shouldn't be able to get a new haircut in HM.

They should give her one of the EA hairstyles and even flashier headgear obviously, to really sell that this is basically NG+.
edit: Actually everyone should get weird with their hairstyles in HM.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Moose posted:

if people are randomly attacking you, are you using Charm Person or Friends? Some people get REAL MAD if you try to use magic to manipulate them on Tactician/Honor mode

Persuasion specced characters keep winning. :grin:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wait do fighter and ranger fighting styles stack? Edit: taking one level in fighter and then rest would be ranger

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

yes in the sense you can get one from each, you can't double down and pick the same bonus twice

Plan was grabbing archery and two weapon fighting for Astarion so that works I guess.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

endgame qustion: is there a situation where you need to use more than 4 characters?

Just bring them along for their personal quests and a couple of specific spots for ~plot and character development~, but otherwise anyone you don't like can just chill at camp.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

🫡 Dudes rock.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Entropic posted:

I wish Durge mode was harder, it's actually kind of offputting how chill your party is about your little episodes. When you take the option of turning yourself in for Alfira's death I was expecting it to have some consequences but everyone's just like "eh, maybe it was the tadpole's fault? guess we better be careful." And it is just plain goofy how the huge bloodstain just persists through longrests and is there even if you hide the body before dawn, and no one comments on it. I was hoping that if you hide the body there'd be some tense dialogue where everyone is like "hey, where did Alfira go?" and you have to avoid raising suspicion. I think that kind of story mode could be a lot more interesting if it didn't clash so much with the indulgent game design that basically allows you to keep people around no matter what you do if you really want to. At least from what I've seen so far, I'm still in act 1.

Also looking back on the thread I now find it hilarious that there were multi-page debates about "would Astarion be problematic / innappropriate / boundry-crossing as a PC at a tabletop game?" when Durge is right there lmao.

Speaking of problematic, I finally realised who Gortash reminds me of with his messy haircut and his whole unshaven, open-collar look:

I have similar thoughts re durge:

Besides the unbelievable amount of naivete shown by the companions towards a literal cold blooded murderer
It also absolutely suffers from not enough forced checks or having a counter if you have been fully resisting. Multiple party members openly advise you to actually occasionally indulge the durge on your enemies but that dosen't actually matter. Like the durge romance scene might have been one of the most emotional and tense moments in the game because I successfully passed all the checks with my LI. The total lack/bugged reactions to things is extremely noticeable in the otherwise awesome final act of resistance. Totally ruined the moment for sh to go "drat that's crazy I would have been wormfood without you" and I was genuinely offended. At an absolute minimum I was expecting at least a couple of soft sobs or the narrator piping in about the party getting emotional while cutting away from them.
Anyways what im trying to say is that a top priority to make the plot/character development flow better and make more sense for a hypothetical DE is one platonic scene for everyone, a few small social scenes in act 3, one larger group scene after you acquire a netherstone and then taking an editing pen to the durge storyline to clean it up.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 14, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ZearothK posted:

So, how's it like playing the Origin characters, anyone who has more content than the others (Durge included)? I've heard Gale gets his cat as a camp follower pretty early, but I'd like to hear how it is for everyone else.

I'm doing a wyll honor mode run atm and honestly he does feel more suited to being the MC than as a companion. He always stuck out as a sore thumb to me for being a charisma class but being way too accommodating towards the PC. So him leading around the gaggle of rizzless adult children feels really natural. Also you don't have to suffer through his undercooked dialogue and there are extra mizora scenes.
Edit: Also romancing Karlach, as is proper.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 14, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Life domain is really one of the only healers worth doing in the game though I suppose paladins (oath of the ancients) are probably ok at it as well.
I'm also rocking SH as life domain on honor mode. I might do a gish build with lae'zel this rub (6 ek, 6 abjuration wizard) assuming that I'm able to talk both SH and Lae'zel down.
I'm also gonna get into the device at the creche since it's not like origin Wyll really needs int that much anyways.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 14, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

OzFactor posted:

early durge chat My problem with it isn't that they just sort of shrug and don't care about you being a murderer, it's that they just sort of shrug and don't seem to consider your likelihood of murdering them. They should be very concerned about that! There is direct, incontrovertible evidence later that they should be very concerned about That said, all it would really need to fix it would be an added line or two around what you said at the end there: that they recognize you're very dangerous but that they're currently more scared of mindflayering and they need you for that.

I honestly find it telling how the entire party acts like a horror movie victims cast. ESPECIALLY with the new potential epilogue if you defy daddy after accepting his gift.

^ This is absolutely what Gale, SH, wyll and probably karlach are telling themselves in the durge romance.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

grinnard posted:

So who did everyone choose to become a mindflayer for the final boss? I went with Orpheus because I couldn't bear the thought of karlach turning, and didn't really want to lose my MC after I stamped on the emperor's astral tadpole

Edit: I should say those spoilers are end spoilers, just in case we have Xbox players in the thread

1st run blind(tav): Orpheus
2nd run (durge, stuffed myself with worms): Became the mind flayer
3rd ending (first run but went back post patch for note taking/epilogue): Karlach

Analysis:
Gonna be frank here but I'm pretty sure becoming the mind flayer is gonna be the canonical option unless they are really invested in the Canon MC having a happy ending and/or kids with whoever the canonical romance option is. Becoming the mind flayer felt like the most thematic and fairest options to the companions, especially now with he able to discuss thing with mind flayer form Karlach in the epilogue. Really seems like that's who they are gonna go with. Everything else feels pretty unfair to someone and a little greedy on the PCs fault.
Edit: Also assuming that the canonical ending leaves everyone alive.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 14, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Should I bother with BHOOAL in honor mode or is it a trap?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thundarr posted:

There's a somewhat interesting healer armor hidden down there. Otherwise it's a good way to get rid of Wyll if you're doing an evil run!

Buddy, I'm playing as him.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

It still works.

It's expressly on the list of things I will not do in the game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think you're compelled to fight there, there's a DC 15 check to persuade or intimidate IIRC.

Ok I thought it was a DC20 for some reason.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

My favorite part of getting Shadowheart at the grove after long resting on the beach is how she is just playing around with her super secret artifact from her secret spy missing like the thing is a drat Rubik's cube

IGN came out with a spoiler heavy interview today with sven saying that originally her pitch was: "Jason Bourne". I'll be frank she probably would have been a more coherent, competent character but also we would missed out on all these accidentally hilarious moments. :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Well lol Shadowheart is fukken DEAD in this run because I spent all my inspiration points trying to tell the duergar historian in Grymforge that "a monster was here" and got that camp scene immediately after. Honor Mode is so real for that, honestly. I'm curious what Act 2 is going to be like now when all my characters are staring at stuff in the Sharran Temple like "yup, that sure is a thing."

Yeah I'm snooping around for a couple of inspiration points for this reason. Since I have spicy builds planned for both

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

So with Shadowheart, why does Shar want her so badly? Want her parents? Give her a stigmata? I must of missed some dialog somewhere that explains it all.

She is an exceptionally petty goddess. SH wasn't anyone special other than her family being faithful selunites and her dad being a good aligned werewolf (possibly passing it along for her to carry to her potential children). They were just really the first family the sharran raiding party led by viconia was able to capture alive. This is all so Shar could show to her sister that she could turn even her devoted pure hearted followers evil.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

EorayMel posted:

Lend a hand, don't take one.

I honestly wish she started with that dagger and that it was a caster weapon instead of a stupid mace. If you are gonna go for a ~I'm not like the other clerics~ vibe do it right!
Also give her back the urchin background!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

If you shove every tadpole in your head you can find, you should die at the end when you order the absolute to kill every tadpole and then itself, because at that point how much of your actual brain could be left?

I mean in my Durge run I squided myself because I had been stuffing myself full of tadpoles anyways and it felt extremely appropriate for an ending.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vermain posted:

their minor action attack's not bad if you're using a big two-hander and like to frequently long rest, but they don't have too much going on otherwise

I switched origin shadowheart to it on my modded origin run as her and wasn't really that impressed and switched to tempest domain.I might dip into it later on others though not sure.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Been running into some awful save/profile retention(?) issues on my modded run and with patch 6 apparently on the way I think I'm gonna set this aside again.
It's fine frankly I think I got enough of my shadowheart origin run done to get the gist of what's she's going through. Getting shock collared by horrifying childhood trauma after doing good deeds. I really do think they honestly shouldn't have bothered with most of the companions being origins in retrospect and they probably should have done ones with specific gimmicks instead.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 24, 2024

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I know that bargaining with auntie will definitely break your oath in Act 1, thankfully I parked Astarion right next to her to do the deed instead. Plausible deniability, baby!!

Lmao I gave him a level of fighter for archery and he managed to get a two for one deal. 🫡

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was extremely happy that crafting was kept to a minimum and I hope that trend continues.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/6198 Anyone have any experience with the previous version of this mod? Honestly tempted to try it. 🤷‍♂️

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Planning out my edgelord evil[ish] durge custom run will split the saves near the end for embracing and redemption :

Durge: Race undetermined but I'm absolutely gonna make someone edgy and evil looking so I'm open to suggestions.
Oathbreaker 7/warlock 5 whatever patron but open to something else.
SH: gloomstalker ranger 5/whatever cleric 7 Going Sharran for darkness spam
Astarion: Monk 8 thief 4?
Lae'zel: ............. give eldritch knight a chance maybe combo with abjuration wizard?
Wyll: being kept in for the robe and then he's getting sacrificed to BAOOOL
Karlach: Her head will look good on stake
Minthara: staying as a veng paladin?
Gale: Either he's giving me a hand :mrgw: or he's going either full divination or evocation.
How does that look?

Jaheria and Minsc: will attempt to recruit both, have no idea what to do with them in general but they will be sacrificed in the embraced path
Also looking for advice on how much of a bad influence I should be on my party members.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Resilient is a half feat so if the constitution score is odd its a good choice.