Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I started basically the first major dungeon of this game (the goblin camp) by whacking the goblin priestess on her lonesome, and eventually a full slugfest to take out the other two leaders. Eventually basically everyone was dead, except for two aggro'd spiders on the bottom floor. The spiders can't be reached, and my party is completely depleted so they will probably die trying to take out two 30 HP spiders anyway, but they prevent the fight from ending. Trying to flee combat only works for one party member at a time for some reason, and Halsin can't flee at all because he's a follower and I'm afraid he'll die if he's left in the encounter, making the whole thing moot. Is there anyway out of this? I really don't want to start the fight over :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh God I finally resolved it by forcing every party member to go to camp individually and dragging Halsin far enough that he wasn't considered "in danger", which made every quest update at the same time. Weird.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
This game is so aggressively and deliberately against the white straight man fantasy that I'm pretty sure anyone making those anti-diversity mods are doing it out of sheer spite.

Tonetta posted:

idk but I've never seen a fanbase so neurotic over the most banal poo poo. I'm in a fb group and people get into full blown fights about how you're supporting toxic behaviors if you find astarian hot and how if you don't want to bang shart first you're literally wrong and must be gay (or straight, whichever applies)
Imagine how bad the "how dare you romance/not romance X" posting would be if there was a gnome/dwarf/halfling party member.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 7, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tonetta posted:

just to be clear here I couldn't care less about how people choose to play their game. if they have one of the cringe mods I might make fun of them for it, butit's a single player experience, I don't give a poo poo. you could make a mod where you get to suck the dick of every npc in the lower city and I wouldn't care

like 80% of the characters in the game are white & that's including the actual races that could never be white, I don't get this comment. it's a game about choice, and if you choose to be a poly gay slut, that's up to you. the straights can just be straight, except for the one time they accidentally let gale show them the lights, and the snowflakes amongst those can then go angrily post about sjw crap ruining their vidyas (and not corporate culture)

I just meant that if seeing a black wizard or a gay elf even as a NPC is a catastrophically bad dealbreaker for your suspension of disbelief (like these modders claim it is) then I kinda doubt you (the modders) are earnest fans of the game to begin with. Why am I getting hit with strays all of a sudden?

mycot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 7, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Jay Rust posted:

All I know is that when I clicked on “let’s not have the child be bit by the deadly venomous snake“, gale approved, unlike certain other party members

Gale consistently likes it when you resolve things nonviolently through dialogue. Approval is a little weird though so I'm not sure if it's for basically aesthetic reasons (thinking that it's crude or brutish to just kill your way into what you want) or if he just doesn't like people getting hurt.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't get the point of hirelings, why not just respec someone?

Tbh I think hirelings mostly exist because generic units as an option are a convention in this sort of game

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
1. How does Inspiration work exactly? I got the maximum 4 points early on (by indulging The Urge, baby) but I've never actually seen it go down unless doing consecutive rerolls. Does it fully reset to 4 after every long rest and Inspiration is just for exp now? Does it come out of storage and refills are limited?
2. (Don't answer if this is a real spoiler) The Dark Urge doesn't remember anything before the nautiloid, but there's still class and background dialogue options based on memories. Is this one of those player discretion moments where you're just not supposed to pick anything that is contradictory if you care about that, or are you gradually remembering your past?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Is there any way of making Astarion useful in his default class short of outright respeccing him? I gave him two fancy daggers but rogues seem extremely limited especially since they don't get the double attack at level 4, and since I'm already playing as Bard I already have a lockpick and traps guy.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah it's not like they set out to intentionally make Halsin and Minthara weird half baked party members, making them playable at all was supposed to be a nice extra. It shows the problems of the player POV not seeing the full context of everything in the final game though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
"His Majesty gained Condition: Sleeping"

:cabot:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's kinda nuts how mysterious the way romance flags work in this game is. Lae'Zel only came onto me after killing hundreds of goblins, which, that checks out with her. Karlach meanwhile might be locked out of all romantic interactions because I only found her after the act one party?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Goddamn Halsin just carried the Baltazar fight :dogstare: Druids seem kinda cracked.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Why do so many of the "throw party member under the bus" options pick on Astarion specifically it's so loving funny. (The Dark Urge) When the Urge demands you to kill your lover you can pretend that you like Astarion more.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Shumagorath posted:

Weird; at release you could only loot her clothes if you KO'd her instead of killing her.

Is she recruitable independently of the grove now if you KO her?

You can definitely loot Minthara's "casual clothes" because she's dead dead on my playthrough. I put it on Astarion. Honestly it's probably less revealing on him than it was on her.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Like half the squad is outfitted in Githyanki half plate and I'm constantly thinking one of us has got to change. Is it just me or does the game shower you in Heavy Armor options but not a lot of Medium/Light/Cloth?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Snake Maze posted:

There's a reason the big strength that people always bring up in its favor is "it makes trash fights fast" rather than anything about the parts of the game where you have to actually engage with it.

I used to think that was a really silly reason but ngl after experiencing some of big fights in this game I kinda sympathize with it now. Having to wait for 50 dudes take their turn even when they might literally not be able to accomplish anything is exhausting at times

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
For like 10 hours into Act 3 I was like "wow this is great. So much is incredibly funny, but also dark and opens a lot of intriguing directions for the plot. I don't know what everyone was complaining about." But then performance steadily got worse and worse until I took a path down the wrong alleyway (the one with the kid and his dog?) and the game won't get past the loading screen anymore. "Well my computer was outdated anyway, what does the recommended graphics card cost these days"

:gonk:

e. I found lower prices so I'm salting less but this is still a higher price than I knew I was getting into

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 23, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

BurritoJustice posted:

What's your CPU/GPU? Act 3 is almost entirely CPU bound.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Might want to check your cpu and gpu temperatures while playing with something like HWINFO64. The game is supposed to be way harder on cpus and just about any gpu can run it. I've had similar experiences and my crappy gpu was chilling at 10 degrees below max while my OK cpu was throttling like a m'fer at 98 degrees

CPU: i7 8700
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 16 GB

I'm honestly not sure what is going on, because these specs are not as far off as I would have thought from the system requirements

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 23, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks for all the tech and setting tips; I'll mess around with the game more and do more googling, hopefully there's a happy update later.

Karlach loves killing people as much as the next party member, it's just that she makes sure that they're really evil people like the slavers.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Seriously is the only difference to bringing Astarion to his own character quest a much harder boss fight?

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm a little surprised, because your CPU is actually pretty decent. It's faster than the console CPUs, so you should be able to sustain at least 30fps on Act 3. There might be issues with the low vram of the 1050ti?

Update: the game isn't consistently this laggy, messing with the settings like dynamic crowds and performance became entirely passable and I could continue my playthrough. Sometimes the game randomly starts crawling and getting stuck on loading screens and I have to reset the game, but that clears it up :iiam:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Act 3: I can't believe Gale's character arc is becoming redpilled

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Mystra: I just assumed I was supposed to blow up Gale at the end of act 2 because MYSTRA, an actual god, said it was the only way to succeed, so I did it, and then got a game over and everything went to poo poo. Idiot goddess.

The Gale% cutscene is incredible for the way the three turn around before imminently eating poo poo. The RIP Bozo Ending.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
A question about Wyll in act 3 that I would appreciatea spoilery answer to: is there anything that further resolves the plot with his father after the part with Mizora? The Ansur quest is listed as part of the Blade quest and it was given by Florrick who acted like Duke Ravengard is dead, but Wyll honestly seems to have almost no involvement in it? If he gets more story content in another quest I'll just swap him out for the Ansur fight because unfortunately he's been dead weight all game.

When the Ansur reveal happened it was impossible for me to not think of Mr. Burn's League of Evil

https://youtu.be/WAFJOV_EV9g?si=N04tZ1seViBtKoh9

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Snake Maze posted:

Yes. Well, depending on exactly you mean by "the part with Mizora". When you go to the Iron Throne Wyll's dad is imprisoned there, you can free him and he'll come back to camp. He points you to Ansur and has more dialogue with Wyll once it's over.

I told Wyll to break his contract at the cost of his father, but I assumed Mizora wouldn't kill him directly and he could be saved :ohdear: I haven't even seen any mention of an Iron Throne, though I know it by name already just from posts. Guess I still need to keep an eye out.

Regarding Astarion in endgame: I respected him into monk because it felt like the least appropriate class and the mulitihit attack combined with the Vampire Ascendant damage bonus is actually hilarious. Bro is Kenshiro.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I really pity the Dragonborn who don't look look like dragons and are instead the Goomba from the 1993 Super Mario Bros movie

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
One of Astarion's first conversations about being a vampire and the bits you get of Cazador's backstory make it clear that vampires have very strong motivations to be huge bastards. A vampire who isn't a selfish paranoiac would basically destroy the entire system, so they keep their spawn on a tight leash and beat them until they learn to be one.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Making Dark Urge optional was 100% correct, imagine the bellyaching over Fallout 4 forcing the player to have a specific backstory but a million times worse. That said I can't imagine without it, the connection to the Act 3 villains is huge alone. They must be just Some Assholes otherwise, right?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Cavelcade posted:

I hate Gortash because he's such a dickhead to Karlach, and he comes up more in other ways as well I feel. Orin only really has a connection with Minthara, which makes how unfinished she is even more disappointing. I really wanna include her but she has even less to say about most of what's going on than the others. Her "Nobody would have remembered me." line is so good though.

Oh yeah that's true, Gortash is actually involved in a lot of the plots in Baldur's Gate the city, including Wyll's, the gnomes, and even a small part in The Emperor's backstory. Orin lives in a cave, kinda difficult to network that way.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Monathin posted:

Re: Companion reactivity, it is extremely funny to me how (early Durge spoilers) After you kill The Bard, if you try to go "hey, guys I uhhhh might be a serial killer? I literally came to mid post-death mutilation of the body" every one of your companions go 'ehhhh it's probably a tadpole thing, let's not worry about it', especially because it's obvious that Larian doesn't account for you trying to spill the beans that early.

You're right though that it's more than a bit of a mess.

The correct option is to blame Astarion

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The difference between dual wielding staves and making everyone into Fighter hybrids is that the former is funny looking, which makes it not boring.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dragonwagon posted:

Does this only happen if you don't talk to her, or will killing Aylin always doom the tavern? I want to see DJ Shart on this playthrough but I don't want to miss out on Dammon's act 3 wares.

I'm pretty sure (spoilers for the outcomes of Shadowheart's quest) if you kill Aylin through Shadowheart's ritual (and NOT by like grazing her with a stray aoe) Shar goes super saiyan and destroys Last Light in a special cutscene regardless of how you dealt with Isobel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe it would remove some of the mystique of encountering a new weird freaky guy but I sort of wish there was a bestiary. It would promote the Dungeons & Dragins setting and give some background without the need for tons of boring "explain this thing to me like I'm the most credulous person in Faerun" dialogue options, win win.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Eminent Domain posted:

On one of my first playthroughs I had Gale as magic missile machine and honestly there is something just satisfying in creating itano circus missile blossoms.

I think of it as the wizard shotgun.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Loel posted:

House of Hope was a ton of fun once I figured out the gimmick. First time I cleared the map, thought I couldnt rest, and tried to do the boss fight with half spells and health. Wiped in first turn. Then I went to the fountains and did all my long rest buffs, and all my long rest summons. Ghouls, mummies, water elementals, familiars, genies. Prepared the room with gunpowder barrels, opened the gate, won the dialogue check, and then cast Globe of Invulnerability. Went smooth from there, towers, adds, and boss.

Super fun fight, super great theme music.

I did the same thing. Including Hope and Yugir it was like 16 dudes beating his rear end and that's not even close to the maximum number of summons since I missed out on a lot of the item summons like Connor. He got knocked down, clipped into the stairs and never got back up.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Beat the game and got my epilogue.

Gale became the god of grindset podcasters. His cat disapproved, and I agreed with her in a surprisingly sad conversation. Wyll is simultaneously Duke of Baldur's Gate and the
Blade of Avernus. I assume he works remote.

It is weird that the ending sequence of the game is extremely long and climatic but it still feels the game just kinda ends. The camp party is cute and I imagine it satisfied the vast majority of the complainers who wanted confirmation of their happy endings, but I don't think it actually alleviates this feeling any more than when the game ended right after the docks. It kinda becomes a series of bulletpoints than a plot, if that makes any sense? It's not a coincidence that Lae'Zel has by far the most impactful ending cutscene if you follow her quest to completion. She knows she's the main character.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked the gimmick fights like the portal fight or the Iron Throne because they invite you to optimize for something other than raw damage.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I know every shareholder claims that it'll do hands off management but from a consumer point of view Tencent really does seem to be hands off.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think it's specifically only video game adaptation rights so it's all clickbait anyway. Like it's basically been Baldur's Gate 3 and that infamously bad Dark Alliance reboot?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
After sleeping on it for a night I've come to the following conclusion: the moral of Baldur's Gate 3 is that some guys seem like bros but are sus, and some guys seem sus but are bros. I'll leave it to the thread to decide who is who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lawman 0 posted:

Gotta play the dark urge now imo.
In a few weeks or whatever, maybe grab some strong intoxicants and a physical d20.

I did as my first playthrough (as Spyro the Dragonborn) because seemingly unlike most RPG players I never actually liked playing total blankslate self-inserts like The Courier. That's how I got one of the most overlooked Mystery Bros, Gortash.