Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

JBP posted:

My question is how could they be worse than Hasbro lol

right? I cant find it in me to get mad, even Americanly

I have 300 or 400 hours in BG3 by now and one thing that strikes me is that Larian really did some serious heavy lifting to make 5th Edition fun

like, for who, who is it exactly that very much insisted upon that you were only allowed three total magic items, that take 24 hours to don and doff..?

oh. :shrug:

well, hopefully the perfidious Tencent will fare better in picking not-creepo authors of 6th Edition or 7th Edition or whatever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Entropic posted:

If you want to hear the real rants about how everything Hasbro touches goes to poo poo, talk to a Magic: The Gathering player.
:negative:

I have a friend who used to be truly passionate about MTG and now all he does with his decades of knowledge is very cynically flip product

"Can't wait til my Mr. House equips Glamdring to attack my opponent in a MTG game" he said yesterday, seems healthy

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It’s not successful because of anything Hasbro did. It’s 100% because of third party creators. They got lucky, and have taken every chance they’ve been given to try to screw those third parties.

they would rather take Providence into a watery grave rather than let anybody with any clue dictate what next quarter's profits will look like

just the meanest, most vindictive, most short sighted kind of corporate idiocy, but the funny part is that their IP's have been shockingly resilient... sometimes in their weird shortsightedness they accidentally liscense them out to people with some ideas. theyre working hard on closing that gap for full control and authority, but so far, the attempts have been too unpopular. absolute nuclear hellfire vs any and all fan goodwill, but still, the brands somehow keep going on?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

I decided to read the responses on Facebook in the BG3 group I’m in there and I’m here to tell you that if Tencent buys D&D it will be immediately ruined by communism

nice

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Entropic posted:

This is why I gave up on my Durge run, I realized I was basically constantly looking for metagamey ways to not actually play the game mode I had chosen to play.

Wait, what? I am just getting cozy in Act 3 as Resist Durge on Balanced, how does metagaming effect anything?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
you get REALLY horny when youre in the early stages of violently mutating into a soulless psychic slime alien

see: Star Trek Voyager, Possession (1981), the works of David Cronenberg

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Bard is a great choice for that. Warlock is great too. It is weirdly counter intuitive but I think Barbarian is also an amazing choice for it as well. You’d think they are all about fighting but they get a ton of special intimidation options.

I was very impressed by Intimidate diplomacy options! as far as i can recall, Intimidate in other D&D games usually provokes a fight with a fear debuff? not here! not usually? Also, doing the Rogue dip for throwing nets you Expertise and it is indeed soooo good 👀

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Me and Asterion did his big quest and killed Cazador, rejected the super vampire spell, and let the spawns determine their own fates in the Underdark. His whole little partychat afterwards about breaking the cycle of violence and abuse was surprisingly really sweet. It was good to see him smile!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

It looks awesome, as does my pointy hat.

it's true

haters of Dual Staff/Pointy Hat Technique beware

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jenny of Oldstones posted:

I'm on my first playthroughs, one solo and one with my spouse. I love this game so far and generally try to do the good things. Last night my bleeding heart helped children, donated to a bum, and then felt really sorry for 7,000 vampires. Yeah, I love this game.

the vampires should determine their own fate, I say

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Slider posted:

Why aren't the paintings worth anything in this game?? I steal every single one I see and only become more and more disappointed

it is odd. artwork has been straight up loot table reward currency in D&D since the olden days, but it is relatively unexciting in value here... still, you should absolutely steal every painting you can get, because it is very satisfying.

maybe some modder can go add some zeroes or something!!!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

grack posted:

I'm guessing the devs realized that players will steal everything that isn't nailed down so they kept the values low so as to not completely gently caress the economics.

so far, i always end up with too much gold by mid Act 3 even after the shopping sprees

I have no clue what would even need to be adjusted to make the gold economy for fun for some 2.0 Definitive Edition patch or whatever

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Golden Axe gnomes aside, for the record, i dont think the economy is broken/in need of fixing, i just wish there were a little extra extra to the act of thievery and stripmining the dungeon clutter, since it is good fun in and of itself. tampering with D&D economy sounds like itd suck big time tho.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Thuryl posted:

Paintings were worth a ton of money in Divinity and they've been reduced drastically in value for this one so I think that's exactly what happened.

ha! cool

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
in my most current run, within the last two weeks, the game thought I was emotionally cheating on Laezel with Gale (who would ever?) and I had to break it off with him not once, but twice! and then later I had to totally definitively ruin Halsin's bullshit. "a simple no wouldve sufficed" lol

The game gets patched and current with the Steam Deck. I think its very amusing that this sort of behavior is stuck around, despite Larian dialing it back a few times!

still, a big improvement from "hey. wanna see a magic trick? :pervert:" which I did get to see back in August

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

mycot posted:

Yeah it's like the Alfira thing where it was obviously not intended but people were doing it anyway and will continue to do it, so they canonized it, which I have mixed feelings about.

Ill take the rare overly generous Rule of Cool RPG devs over the industry standard Fun Police RPG devs any day, honestly

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Malaria posted:

Just had the single dumbest honor mode wipe on PS5.

Was going to grab the Blood of Lathander. I knocked out 2 of the(apparently 3) little crystal things that stop the trap in the hallway... Entire party got yeeted into the abyss.

I just stood there in disbelief for a good two minutes.

Ugh.

lmao

nice!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Whats a good, mobile-friendly website for interesting builds?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got credits for the first time last night, pure warlock Tav. I think I missed a lot of Raphael content somewhere. When you get the stones from Gortash and Orin and civilians start turning into Flayers, are you under and real time constraint to fight the brain? I felt I should get to it so skipped out on finishing quests for Gale and Wyll. Also Lae'zel, which probably would have changed things since Emperor ate Orpheus. I think a bunch of stuff got cut off as I didn't fix the Shadowlands, didn't recruit Halsin, never even met Minsc, didn't even know I could recruit Minthara when I killed her. Things actually went pretty sideways in the Shadowlands with Last Light getting wiped.

thank u for rolling with it, especially Act 2 :)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Act 3 Blushing Mermaid spoilerz:

tried to do the second fight with Captain Grisly non-lethal last night before bed, killed her? couldnt figure out why. went to sleep.

did the fight again today. killed her a second time, wtf!

oh... removing Auntie's charm mask kills her. oops.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

roomtwofifteen posted:

I have spent 130 hours as a Vengeance Paladin stealing and looting every single container I come across with no issue

it truly is a Baldur's Gate game, isn't is? 🥹

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
speaking of Ethel, when I fought her a second time, my Level 11 Monk simply had her on stunlock, while my other three dudes calmly took care of the mushrooms. she didnt even get a single attack, spell or maneuver in. it was both epic and the easiest fight in entire the game.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Goa Tse-tung posted:

everyone can break their oath, vengeance just has the easiest time

Oathbreaker Knight: "You cannot declare everything a vengeance!"
Me: "I will spare this criminal so he can help me get vengeance on The Absolute!"
OK, in tears: "OK."

I wouldnt mind if Oaths got a rework at some point, but for as silly as they get, even as is, it's still leaps and bounds better than "Oops, by sparing the hungry thief, you shifted far too many points from Lawful Good into Neutral Good on the graph, you have now become a Fallen Paladin! You lose all your powers ever.. Enjoy! 😁"

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Baldur's Gate 1 taught me Fallen Rangers existed at one point

still unsure how that works

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Inventory Management on Steam Deck is... intense. but its alieviated a bit with the Hireling system?

I chose Maddala Deadeye for Human Versitality. Changed her to Bard, prettied her up, changed her name to Inv.

I gave her The Mighty Cloth and the Harmonium Halberd. Her Strength is 22, her Charisma is 18. Her Carry Weight is 1040lbs.

You can max rep with Dammon and/or Roah Moonglow for cheap if you do it low level enough.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I remember my kid telling me about a high level character in 5e he had that had 10 magic rings. 0-3 would be active at a time. No clue if that was some DM houserule thing or RAW.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Goa Tse-tung posted:

BG4 with another 100 year timeskip, with (non-) surprise cameo Old Shart

Even Older Jahiera, who is now an antagonist, "Here we go again. :rolleyes:"

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Did Hasbro/WOTC actually banish the Dark Sun setting in their response to "hey, this old timey racist stuff that stuck around in D&D is weird"?

That whole scene is so weird in hindsight, because there was so much Twitter culture misinfo and hyperbole reporting on it, I legitimately couldnt figure out the details... and now that sort of thing is done by bots, with the webpage under new management, and theres been so much weird D&D corporate shittiness since.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Did you completely miss the backlash when they made orcs less racist? Dark sun is oops all orcs

Psionics are now Spells, except they can be the following colors: pink, purple or really light blue (4e method), reduce Racisms by 100%, and triple the amount of Brom leathermen on every page.

There, I saved Dark Sun, YOU'RE WELCOME!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

roomtone posted:

i was surprised to see they give jaheira an old woman's body if you happen to switch all of her clothes off

i mean i know she's old, but i thought she was an elf, and her face looks like, 50-ish. they gave her a 60+ body.

i'm sure they did it for a reason. just something i'm gonna have to ponder.

leave her alone!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
In all honesty, Jaheira's Bioware Romance in BG2 is weirder than taking a harmless peep in BG3.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
theyre all weird as hell. Viconia's might be the least weird, unless you count maybe Rasaad?

I wouldnt doubt "Expresses knowledge of romantic questlines in Baldur's Gate 2" being a bannable offense somewhere

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

roomtone posted:

i'm going to hack the game to allow me to romance jaheira and marry her and have like 200 elven children for 1000 years just because of this comment

lol mazel tov

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

OzFactor posted:

I let Shadowheart stick with Shar on my current run and honestly it's very sad. I think they wrote it on purpose to make you feel like you missed something. I think the actor does a great job sounding like a person who's trying very hard to project pride and confidence while still absolutely being a scared little girl--basically continuing her act through the first part of the game, just working overtime to convince herself that she's doing the right thing with more and more evidence that it totally isn't. I don't know if I can do it to her again. :smith: Also I didn't realize it kills everyone in Last Light and I love Jaheira.

drat, thats cool tho. Im on full goodie goodie Resist Durge, and just finished Selune Shadowheart's quest last night! it is so ultimately hopeful, despite all the horribleness. I guess thats the difference between the two goddesses? :D

hearing you spoiler, it is amusing to me to be a longtime fan of D&D/FR wishing that the authors and devs could Do Better with this incredibly rich yet corny fantasy backdrop, and now its actually finally here, haha

please give it another go at some point, I assure you it is worth it

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
re: Act 2, Who sticks around when you doom Last Light?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

mycot posted:

If you want to do a "what did I miss the first time" completionist run you should probably pull up the wiki (the good one not the bad one). A lot of quests can be missed entirely or failed early and will be skipped if you mess them up in earlier Acts. Full Evil/Embrace Dark Urge is generally its own thing, and Resist Dark Urge is basically an entire other plot by itself so I wouldn't view it as redundant.

Yeah, I got 50% through Act 3 as a blank Tav before rerolling and now Im like 85% through Act 3 as a Resist Durge. Seeing things as Tav was an important perspective, and I might return to finish the save in the future, but I can honestly say that there's been a bit of very interesting distinctions and outcomes.

I cant really see myself wanting to do a blank Tav again though? Origins all the way.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ZearothK posted:

lol, doing Lae'zel's romance and when the duel came she promptly used a bunch of the expensive potions and scrolls she had on her, talk about an expensive bae.

Also this second playthrough is going a lot smoother than the first one, even though I went from Normal to Honour. I remember being very oppressed in the Inquisitor fight in my first game, so much that I had everyone using speed potions, on this one I crushed that boss and his cohort without using any consumables.

Might just be a build thing, I played a Beastmaster Ranger Tav in my first campaign and while having a pet was cool it is a pretty weak class all things told. Now my Evil Durge is a Tempest Cleric/Sorc and she deals so much damage.

Systems Mastery's back, baby

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

Okay this one is for Professor Beetus (or anyone who wants a completed Honor Mode save). I'm pretty sure this will work!

https://file.io/G8Q6Ukpqru9c

Extract the files to User/%LOCALAPPDATA%/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/Public/Savegames/Story and you should get it after talking with Withers.

Just remember that by doing this you have cheated not only the game, but yourself.

:tipshat:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:
What does it mean to succeed at a persuasion check? What does it mean to fail it? The words are the same, so is it about how articulately you say them? Maintaining posture and eye contact?

It's pretty much just binary pass/fail to maybe get what you want within reason. Roll a d20, add your modifiers, with a 5% chance to auto-succeed, and a 5% chance to auto-fail. In Larian's version of end-of-life D&D 5th Edition, you can boost your social etiquettes pretty painlessly on any class or race, with a lot of cool conditional poo poo and utterly badass gear raining down from the sky like manna from Heaven.

These weak rules for social encounters are better than... having absolutely no rules at all for social encounters where talking impedes the amassing of XP and Gold, only certain classes with certain builds being fit to be the Protagonist of your story, and for reasons nobody at all can explain, 4th Edition Skill Challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I randomly decided I wanted the Monster-Slayer Glaive from Roah but I couldn't afford it so I killed her

it's just good business sense