Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

There’s a really easy way to handle the gas clouds but it’s in the tips the game gives you and it might be power gaming to divulge

Is the really easy way throwing dishes on top of the vents to block them because that's what I did for that area and it was nice and simple.

I was actually really proud of myself when I did the actual Hag fight for remembering my D&D knowledge of Magic Missile absolutely WRECKING illusions, which made that fight not quite trivial but not hard in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The good thing about BG3 is that there’s usually like 3-4 ways to get through an area

3-4 in a very strict area, that's what I love about this game, there's so many different options and poo poo that you think "Larian wouldn't have thought to....nope, yep they did."

I love that after I beat the Hag I was wandering around the swamp looking for loot and saw a frog, so I cast speak to animals and talked to it. Full voice acting and the frog led me to treasure as thanks for killing the Hag

So many options that 90% of players will never see.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Warning: Do not speak to that demented little frog before dealing with Ethel because it's abnormally strong and can mind control your party. Almost wiped an HM run when it took control of Karlach and threw a smokepowder barrel in the middle of the group.

HAHAHA seriously? That's loving amazing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah I threw shoes on the vent, was still a pain in the rear end

Well gently caress me about those masks, I tried to wear one and instantly went insane and attacked my own party or some bullshit

If you only had some way to protect you from evil

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Man I would have never thought about that.

You can also just pass deception checks or something to distract him the moment he is supposed to cheat

There's a lot of poo poo in this game that any normal person who didn't play D&D would never think of. But the great thing is it doesn't REQUIRE that knowledge

Edit - Also if I remember correctly there's a scroll with the needed spell right before you get to the area

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

yeah it's not in either. :shrug:

e: lmao it's because gale has 43 gold on him at the moment. fuckin owned. I forgot it didn't draw from the group fund.

That's actually something I was wondering about earlier today, if you send all your gold to camp if you can use it anywhere. I know it works for merchants but wasn't sure about stuff like that. Good to know.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I haven't really played with alchemy yet, do the ingredients you get apply to multiple schematics? Like, if I got a component (we'll say Glistening Toad Weiner), is that only used for a Speak With Halflings potion or can it be used in multiple recipes?

Just debating if I want to just craft whatever I can or hold onto the components.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Question about "stealing". I am running a fairly nice guy Druid build. I cleared out the Goblin camp and a lot of the chests and items are still showing red with steal as the only option - same for the Druid camp which is now pretty much empty. Clicking them loots as normal, but is there some invisible meter that's damning me for "stealing" when no one is around?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah all that makes sense, I was just thinking about areas like the goblin camp where no living soul exists anymore and everything is still red. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Khizan posted:

You can cheese the bandits in Wither's crypt pretty easily with the door. None of them can break the door so you can pull the lever to open the door, let one run out, pull the lever to close and lock it, kill the one who's out there unsupported, repeat.

It's funny because I almost quit the game immediately when I got to those bandits. I started on Balanced because I have years of RPG experience and used to play a ton of D&D games, but man I am just out of practice with D&D so I wasn't grasping everything I needed to do. Kept dying in that encounter repeatedly.

I dropped it to easy and still struggled but it wasn't as bad. That's also how I discovered a cheat code in the game if you raise the difficulty, apply, raise the difficulty, apply, lower difficulty, apply, lower difficulty, apply so you go from easy -> Tactician and back down your party gets healed to full.

Now I'm still on easy just for my first playthrough but understand the game mechanics so much more.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I wish there was some indication if a key or item was not longer needed heh. I'm a hoarder in this game and have so many orange bordered items

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I throw them all into a container.

Me too but I have been carrying everything with me "In case I need it".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

sure but once it’s in a container it only takes up one inventory space and then you just don’t need to worry about it.

if it’s weight that worries you; by far the biggest culprit there is excess gold so that stays in the camp chest.

Excess gold weighs a lot but let me tell you about the 37 Goblin Scimitars I'm carrying. :D

It was annoying how there were no vendors close to a quick travel point until I got to the Myconoid Colony, thankfully now it's easy to get to them to unload when I've hoarded too much.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Saul Kain posted:

I tend to pick up a few different types of containers. Maybe a chest, backpack, and pouch. Then I sort the camp inventory by good gear, stuff to sell, and quest/misc stuff like the adamantine moulds with each of the categories going into a different container type. My pouch for example is all of the items I intend to sell to a vendor.

If you select all of the items in your camp chest at once, you can drag drop to the various special containers (alchemy, camp supplies, keys) and the relevant items will be placed in the bag even if you selected items that don't match the category. Then, just practice inventory management maybe once every other long rest or so. I wish we could search the camp chest though.

It would be awesome if they would add that special sort functionality for other things too, get a potions bag, a spell bag, etc. I've heard there's one single container that automatically grabs books later in the game, it seems crazy that they have the functionality and don't expand on it.

But then I'm my own worst enemy with inventory because yep I loot fuckin everything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question: what happens to a person if they put on THREE magic rings?

But you can only wear one ring per hand where are you putting the third one oh wait never mind

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone else throwing fireballs instead of watching sports tonight

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I have all of them in my GOG account and never played them. I keep meaning to but I never do. Baldurs Gate 1 was my first ever Dungeons and Dragons video game and, along with the other infinity engine games, it’s too high of a watermark to go backwards from.

I tried playing Curse of the Azure Bonds again a year or so ago and man those Gold Box games don't play well these days heh. They were masterpieces when I was a kid though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

So I'm not big in to D&D and I just got to last light inn, but I gather gods are just normal people ascended? Maybe not exclusively, but I literally just got told that Vlaakith is consuming power of others to try to become a god. IIRC some of the flavor text on the loading screens flat out tells you that some of the gods were mortals that were given power by another god (Bhaal/etc.?). So wouldn't it make sense that there are an abundance of evil deities since they're frequently built off the backs of others, or achieved godhood through some exchange/betrayal to gain those powers?

I know at least some of them are, but not all of them. I was huge into the books as a kid and one of the big trilogies was the Avatar trilogy, where all of the gods are cast out of their realms and forced to take a mortal avatar. At the end of that several of the characters ascend to godhood to replace ones that were killed in the mortal realms, several of which are referenced in the game (Kelemvor, Cyric)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

They should’ve called thunder damage « sonic damage » or something, I’m real good at confusing thunder for lightning

It's understandable, both are very very frightening.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

No they can’t. They do half damage if the enemy fails their save. There’s maybe a niche case where the enemy specifically has evasion but I’ve yet to see it trigger. Low level slots are irrelevant beyond act 1 because by then you aren’t being meaningfully being constrained by supplies for resting. They’re basically just for casting shield and counterspell. But my point stands for any number of spells or even just attacking with a ranged attack or melee attack. Once you hit level 4 or so you ought to be able to focus and kill a high priority target in the space of a round, spending an action to disrupt their concentration but not kill them is not a productive use of resources.

At very low levels, yes. Magic missile is hugely useful. At higher levels it’s very niche.

If I ever do a third play through before an expansion I’d probably use custom mode to make long rests take more supplies. That and an optional AI boost to make appropriate enemies smarter would be fun.

I kinda miss how in old D&D games you either couldn’t rest at will in a dangerous area or there was a risk of ambush. In a real tabletop game
Your DM wouldn’t let you just rest any time you wanted so you actually have to conserve resources.

That isn’t the case in bg3 though, so you don’t need to worry about using those high level slots.

Look some of us only have like 2500 camp supplies so we have to be very careful when we long rest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wonder if it rerolls sneak attacks. Big if true.

From what I've read it does not

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Valtonen posted:

I feel there are very few feats that are more useful than ASI, and thats the problem. Each class has usually 1-2 feats that are class-useful (tavern breaker for throwlach, two-weaponizing, or Great weapon master, sharpshot) and then there is… one? universally awesome feat (alert) but other than that anything the feat list offers is likely easier to get by multiclassing a single level. Why would I get moderately armored as a feat when I can just multiclass fighter 1 and get all armors and weapons?

Hah I ALMOST decided to take Moderately Armored and had this exact same thought

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

You could try returning to them with a lone character who wasn't involved in hitting them but I don't know if that would work. I also heard managing to take their masks and still talk to them doesn't actually change their dialogue but idk if that's true either. very useful post

I bought the digital $10 upgrade literally just to support Larian but the shapeshift mask in comes with has been huge for Speaking to the Dead when "They don't want to talk to their killer". Change into a race friendly to them and boom "Hey, you're not my killer! Sure you're wearing the same armor and voice, but you're definitely not them!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gatto Grigio posted:

yeah

i’ve found that comment tends to line up with whenever I’ve spent all of my short rests, anyway

Somtimes it's weird though and they'll say it when we have two short rests left and still have most of our spell slots. I guess I just chalk that up to my Resident Evil hoarding brain where I use a ton of cantrips and renewable stuff instead of my "once per long rest" abilities heh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They said on fb that they’re also fixing shield bash

https://x.com/baldursgate3/status/1757441509350126056?s=20

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Moonrise Tower - I just got here and have started walking around as there's a ton of quests that head here. I got to Disciple Z'rell and she didn't like me trying to read her mind so she attacked with her friends. I killed them...but should I reload a save? Is everyone else going to be aggro to me now? I assume eventually I'm going to fight people but wanted to walk and talk to people first.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Black Noise posted:

No witnesses No Problems. Clean up your mess adventurer. Evidence can be shoved into nearby containers!

Also what the guy below said. Probably leave the traders alone though until its the finale.

I walked around for a bit and no one aggrod on me, am I probably safe to keep talking to people, or will someone eventually spot the bodies? I went downstairs to the prison.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gatto Grigio posted:

Don’t get why non-lethal damage toggle is even an option when my party members and NPCs give me poo poo for killing people when I clearly made the effort to let them live (ex. Minsc, who I knocked out because Jaheira got killed at Moonrise and he couldn’t stop his bloodrage even with Calm Emotion)

Karlach: “We just killed Minsc! How could we?!?l

Me: (no we loving didn’t. I left him alive, you were there!)

Non lethal seems buggy as hell to me. I freed Sazza in the beginning to get the trust of the goblins, and was amicable with them all until it came time to kill the leaders and save the Grove. Sazza was in the room and I didn't want to kill her so I bonked her out.

Unfortunately, the mission saying "Talk to Sazza and she'll introduce you to the Goblin leader" stayed stuck at that point, despite the leaders being dead. I ended up going back into the Goblin fortress before Act 2 and she was still there, and acted as a vendor...but had no items and no gold, and wouldn't not talk to me otherwise. I finally just killed her and the mission completed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it's ok, the tadpole is the charisma carry inside the group

a low charisma leader just means the rest of your life is pain

My Druid has low charisma but who cares because every animal she talks to loves her and isn't that the most important thing

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Isn't it only that they glow if they have something "important" to say that's plot relevant? I'm pretty sure I've talked to the dead before and they weren't glowing green.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

You need to have cast it at least once since a long rest. From that point on talkable corpses glow green until you rest again.

Yeah I get that but I am 99% sure I've talked to corpses that weren't glowing green, they just provided flavor and not any "important" information.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thundarr posted:

Your monk whose punches do radiant and necrotic and force and psychic in addition to physical damage is not a good choice for gently tapping somebody to sleep.

Picturing an actual tabletop campaign "All I did was pat him on the back why did he explode?????"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

When I get home today I can just give you my last save file (or anyone else who wants the golden dice, for that manner). I think all you'd have to do is just finish the party then you'd get the achievement.

Does that actually work? Aren't saves tied to your Steam account?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Where is this so called giant patch and the patch notes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's out, I'm playing it rn.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Wow… tying charisma to physical attractiveness… that’s a yikes

Yeah I'm annoyed that when my real life character was created I rolled insanely low on Charisma, and I didn't even get bonus stats in other attributes. It's BS.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hope you're doing well friend!

I turned into a cat the other day and for some reason I always was turned sideways with the walking animation, so when I was going straight forward I was still facing to the right, it was odd as hell heh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Scratch is mid

MODS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Need some spoiler-lite guidance.

I'm in Act 2 at Moonrise Tower and am struck with choice paralysis on what to do next. I know at some point I'm going to be fighting the people here, but I want to get as much done peacefully as possible before that happens. I hate trying to google stuff for BG3 because spoilers abound so hoping you guys can nudge me in the best direction for my Good Druid.

Quests I have -

(Spoilering just in case)

- "Infiltrate Moonrise Towers" - I was sent to talk to Disciple Z'rell, but she didn't like that I let the goblins go and I failed a Deception check, so I had to kill her and her room. It now says "Whatever task she had for us, it won't help us to learn more about the cult now."

- "Find the source of the parasite" - Just says to infiltrate the towers

- "Rescue Wulbren" - I found the Gnomes in the prison and gave them a torch to smack the wall open, so the next phase is "Help them escape". I initially started that but it aggroed everyone and their brother so I save scummed and told them to wait.

- "Rescue the Grand Duke" - Just know that he's in Moonrise, but not the prisons

- "Rescue the Tieflings" - Looks like these guys are with the gnomes in the prison.

- Wandering the tower I came across the Drow Araj who wants my blood, with my current Tav I'm a bit iffy on doing that.

Is the best next step just to do the prison escape? I noticed there's levers in the Warden's office to open and close the cells, before I reloaded all the cells open so I'm guessing I should probably start with the Warden to prevent the guards from killing the gnomes and tieflings. I'm just worried about aggroing the entire tower afterwards since I think there's still things to do.