Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

doing an honor mode run since I broke my arm and needed a one handed game, and I ran into something incredibly bizarre: one of the random Heavy Chests I picked up in act 1 to sort camp items into is, apparently, the master key to every other heavy chest. if I try to open a locked heavy chest, the master key chest will get magic pocketed out of my camp stash and unlock the other chest. sadly I have no idea which heavy chest it is. vanilla game, no mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

doing my hm run with a bunch of personal rules like no pickpocketing, and I never realized how much discount you can work up until I couldn't just steal whatever I wanted. the 1/LR envoy's amulet with +2 persuasion is actually really good now! I have -131% discount with my friendly vendors Dammon, Talli and Tarv. :3:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

No ring is good enough for me to kill my ox friend

you don't need to kill him, you just need to get someone's approval low enough to trigger the "this individual holds you in low esteem" response so you can open the gift screen and buy it. I recommend smacking him with a mage hand.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

shadow druids are basically the ted kaczynski school of magic.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

finished act 2 on my hm run and the more times I play, the more I feel like making illithids the main plot instead of Orpheus really detracts from the story. would be great if future content expands on that story because it always engages me much more than the main plot and ending. act 1 and 2 could have had some other macguffin to get you to Moonrise and act 3 could end on the House of Hope. my last run before this I basically just lost interest after hoh and never bothered to do the final area/battle.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Talorat posted:

Can anyone recommend a good gimmick build for our multiplayer game, ideally a healer type? I wanna do something silly and I'm joining while we're already well underway.

17 con/16 wis 12 life cleric dual wielding phalar aluve/blood of lathander, wearing luminous armor, hellrider's pride, whispering promise and boots of genial striding. take war caster, dual wielder and resilient constitution, trigger bless+blade ward with preserve life on the party and dish out orbs on enemies with spirit guardians.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

what house rules do everyone play with? my first two runs were pretty no holds barred, but I decided to make up a few honorable rules for my honor mode run, and it definitely made the game a lot more fun for me:

* no pickpocketing vendors.
* no respeccing to reset vendor inventories or buy max attitude.
* no buff/utility bot characters.
* no haste or speed potions.
* no globe of invulnerability.
* no alert.

not so much trying to jack up the difficulty as prevent myself from trivializing the game and relying on repetitive boring stuff.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 13, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lobok posted:

I can understand the first three, to be less meta or videogamey, but the last three just seem like making it harder for yourself for the sake of it when the enemy will use it or take advantage of it themselves. I know you said it's not for that but that's what it sounds like.

you can think of them as a single "no ending every combat in round 1 before the enemy can take a turn" rule i guess.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's really adorable how the rivington kids comment on Us being a kitty. need a mod that gives it a cat model. :3:

edit: also, apparently +16 persuasion is the most discount you can get (-200%), which you can reach with 18 cha, ring of geniality, the pointy hat and envoy's amulet if you don't have good int.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 13, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Kolodny posted:

I can’t remember the trigger, but if in the oubliette you talk to it about how it’ll avoid being stomped to death by being a brain monster, it says that it’ll appear to all but team murderhobo like a kitty.

i think it always says that if you talk to it, but I only just noticed the rivington kids (and yenna, apparently) talking to it like a cat.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

God drat it I just realized that some time in the last few hours my Nyrulna (aoe throwing weapon thing) disappeared and I have no fuckin idea where it went. RIP throwbarb Karlach, back to Returning Pike for you I guess. Really wish they would fix whatever causes throwing weapons to vanish from existence

respec her to 5 barb/4 rogue/3 EK fighter and start throwing selune's spear of night, or whatever you find. there are better choices than nyrulna.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wish the tavern room had a way to hang all the paintings I steal

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the objectively most fun build is 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard with titanstring, helm of arcane acuity and band of the mystic scoundrel

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

if you summon scratch he'll even point to where you should dig

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the flaming fistr just arrested Basket and my deva, fire myrmidon, and mummy but left everyone else. i love this game

edit: apparently this disarmed my fire myrmidon and deva.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 17, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

never played with a monk before because I think they're a stupid class, so I only just found out they're ridiculous for iron throne. jumping without using bonus actions is crazy. Astarion basically opened every cell on his own and went all the way to Omeluum in turn 1, then came back down to loot the northwest section and jumped back to help dimension door stragglers and kill fishmen after omeluum's submarine port. easiest iron throne i've done despite doing honor mode and refraining from using haste this game.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's not that I thought monks were bad, just stupid. and I still think monks are stupid, just not as stupid as the iron throne.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Having some fairly gross face veins is literally the only negative consequence for filling your brain with alien parasites and I can't believe how mopey some people get about it. Just take your free infinite flight and shut up.

no

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

just found out that when splitting item stacks, you can just click on the number and type in the amount instead of using the slider. :shepface:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I started an honor mode run and immediately failed every check for recruiting Gale and he died. Thought I would make it at least an hour before having to restart :lol: It's legitimately insane that this is not only possible but reasonably likely

Obviously poo poo is going to go south in honor mode but I would like to make it past the literal first meaningful roll :argh:

edit: got back to where I was and recruited Gale. About 30 seconds later my 17 CHA bard rolled a 1 on a persuasion check against the bandits on top of the ruins and they wiped me. I can see that honor mode is going to be An Experience

pretty sure honor mode is 90% knowing which order to do things in.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i was pretty concerned with the raphael fight because it'd be a real bad time to lose your honor mode run that far in, so I grossly overprepared by summoning up everything (basket, us, deva, myrmidon, mummy, ghouls) and buffing with heroes' feast, level six aid, freedom of movement and longstrider at the boudoir. it turns out I didn't need to, because 10 sword bard/1 fighter/1 wizard is absolutely nuts.

my MC and shadowheart go first (after yurgir, who immediately murders korella), so I drop mass healing word to trigger bless and blade ward on everyone and use phalar aluve's sing with shart, then an arrow of many targets and a ranged flourish to reach 10 stacks of arcane arcuity and trigger band of the mystic scoundrel. and then the fight was basically over as I hit raphael and most of the demons with a 100% chance command: halt at no cost thanks to markoheshkir. lae'zel and karlach and my one million summons proceed to take out the pillars. then I did it again on turn 2, and by turn 3 everyone was dead.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

viconia definitely felt like a rare miss.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

blizzardvizard posted:

Also Viconia only turns good if you do her romance

i can fix her

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shard posted:

that was like 3 editions ago. With all things that change in D&D I just assume its some multiverse bullshit. Basically just pretend their is a universe out there where you join up with Viconia and Jaeheria at Last Light

this is so much worse than "viconia was a rare miss by the writers" lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

grack posted:

In my last play through I must have killed about 100 Flaming Fist

w ... why

although this made me realize i'm really missing a BG2 style escalating encounters from fighting the guards. always loved that.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

what is the deal with spears having so much worse throwing arcs than hammers? it feels really hard to position for throwing like selune's spear, you basically have to be outdoors with perfect line of sight, while dwarven thrower basically always has a valid arc if you can see one of their toes.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

really annoying. having to swap to the hammer more or less permanently screwed up my thrower build :mad:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I really enjoy respecing Astarion into an open hand monk with the tavern brawler feat (and eventually 3 levels of rogue thief for an extra bonus action). Although monk is not great until level 5 or so.

he gets an extra 1d10 unarmed damage if you finish his quest evilly, making him by far the best monk. also, going to 4 rogue for the feat is worthwhile.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

Not quite sure if this needs spoilers, but

I somehow lost the Necromancy of Thay and Dark Amethyst in between the gnarled treehouse and the interior of the goblin fort, and only realized this as I was about to answer the Shadowfell to go after Nightsong. I'm pretty sure at some point I must have sent them to the camp inventory, but I couldn't find them in the Travelers Chest. I tried to download cheat engine to spawn them, but my browser blocked the tables as a dangerous download, so... do I have any option other than loading my save from the interior of the fort and backtracking across the world map?

install norbytes script extender and run these:

code:
TemplateAddTo("73ea8888-ed82-4ca5-b9f9-0c9119873507", GetHostCharacter(), 1)

TemplateAddTo("f3b79dc6-aa5e-46a9-828e-6f6ce0021c48", GetHostCharacter(), 1)
script extender might cause a mod warning on launch, just ignore it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Somehow that quest is still a hot mess after 6 patches and 22 hotfixes. Last time for me the guy in Rivington gave me the password but the guy in the store wouldn’t let me use it. Just didn’t have the option at all. So I did my best Batman RP and flew in via the upstairs window to start murdering people. I even threw a couple of them back OUT the window into the street. The cops did not care about any of this lol.

Honestly it was more fun and easier than doing it the normal way.

this is how I've done it every playthrough and it's great. you can also aggro the top floor guys from the roof and have them jump up to get you so you can throw them off one by one, but the pathing gets buggy sometimes.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

With more experience I see how I could have handled most of these better (except Gale which is just a big “gently caress you the dice say you lose”). Have someone hang back out of combat just in case. Avoid these encounters entirely for another level. Etc. I’ve become much more paranoid about the 1% worst possible outcome happening since then.

i love honor mode because that's how i played the whole time. :3:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

very early game aside, the best thing you can do for survivability in honor mode is to make shadowheart a life domain cleric, buy the whispering promise ring the first time you meet volo in the grove, and pickpocket hellrider's pride off zevlor. that will let you apply bless and blade ward on everyone for two turns with the aoe heal (which restores on short rest) pretty much right off the bat, plus the heals themselves obviously help too.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

yeah I assumed that dude saying he kept dying in act 3 wasn't talking about honor mode. I just finished tactician and it definitely still works there on the current patch.

Probably for the best, it's basically an I Win button for any fight

there are like fifty win buttons though. the key is not to avoid them, but to use the right one at the most badass time. for example, perilous is perfect for when ansur uses gather power so you can smack him out of the air.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

From what I’ve learned about in-combat tactics so far (from this thread, Reddit, and game experience):[list]
[*]generally, killing > cc’ing/debuffing

don't think this is true. cc is incredibly powerful and using it with a high spell dc guy will make fights much more consistent. command/fear/confusion can take our entire encounters, and upcasted hold person is very good in act 3.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

It seems like that Hag's Hair item is one of the most important in the game, am I wrong? There don't seem to be many ways to permanently increase stats.

getting an extra +1 is not important at all compared to build and encounter knowledge.

Martian posted:

Played a bit (until the Goblin Camp) with my first character, a warlock, now restarted as a Bard. I'm going for a dualwielding Sword Bard I think. Seems like way more fun so far! I immediately managed to kill Commander Zhalk, quite easily too with Shadowheart's Guiding Bolt, my Bardic Inspiration, and Lae'zel's aptitude for murder. The Mind Flayer got the final hit in, seems like that did give me the experience but ensured he didn't go hostile, so I got lucky there.

It's nice to read along in this thread, I don't really mind the spoilers and it helps getting a handle on this huge and complicated game. I've played BG1 to death and 2 a bit, but don't know much about pen&paper D&D.

Looking forward to not restarting this time!

go ranged sword bard. ranged flourish is so good and you can do the helm of arcane acuity + band of the mystic scoundrel build if you respec into 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Martian posted:

Thanks! I was planning on 10 bard & 2 fighter for action surge. Reading about those items doesn't make clear to me why this would be better (or just more interesting), could you expound on that?

helm of arcane acuity gives you two charges of arcane acuity for each instance of weapon damage, which means you can ranged flourish twice on your turn to get +8 spell dc, or use an arrow of many targets + a ranged flourish to hit 10 if there are enough targets clustered. you should get this around the end of act 1 (gith creche). band of the mystic scoundrel (act 3, in the jungle) then lets you cast enchantment and illusion spells as a bonus action after doing weapon damage, which you can use after building up your spell dc with arcane acuity for 100% chance to land a cc spell. titanstring bow (zhentarim hideout shop if you helped with the gnolls), strength elixirs (sold by ethel in act 1) and gauntlets of dexterity (also gith creche) work very well. super fun, you're effectively online by end of act 1, and when you get the band and magical secrets from lvl 10 bard (take counterspell and command) you're a lean mean killing machine putting out 100+ dpr while cc'ing the entire encounter.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

oh yeah. thought it dropped from the creche boss fight for some reason. apparently i was thinking of diadem of arcane synergy.

edit: you can get it right at the beginning of act 2 by going to the tollhouse bridge, casting feather fall and enhance leap on whoever has the most movespeed and jump range, going into turn based mode, run/jump into the tollhouse and take the door on the left, jump down to the moonrise docks bridge and run up to grab balthazar's moonlantern in his lab on the top floor, then sauntering over to the mason's guild.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 25, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mono anything is fine. i played my whole first game on tactician without multiclassing and didn't have any problems, and i swear by going 12 life cleric shadowheart even now because perma-bless/blade ward and continuous healing just makes everything so much more consistent.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Death is the ultimate debuff.

it's actually command: halt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Janissary Hop posted:

You can resolve it by outing Kagha as a shadow druid and dealing with that situation however. This makes the druids stop chanting, but even though they've given up you can still nab the idol and give it to mol. Resolving it this way also ensures the druids don't decide it's genocide time when the idol disappears.

you can then steal the idol from mol afterwards and she'll say a very funny line when you talk to her.