Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
fwiw way back I read somewhere that the game's AI will prioritize low AC allies and breaking Concentration. This seems to play out in practice, especially on higher difficulties. Among other things it's a point in favor of War Caster as a feat imo, since the AI seems to recognize it's less likely to break Concentration on a character that has advantage from War Caster and picks other targets. If you have high-priority Concentration spells on a caster then War Caster is very worth it as it makes them less likely to drop the spell and also the AI is less likely to target them.

In a current multiplayer game I'm running a Tempest Cleric with heavy armor, shield, and War Caster and the AI basically ignores me and lets me do whatever (Tactician difficulty). So I end up using Warding Bond on a buddy to soak damage because the AI doesn't target my cleric directly most of the time.

edit: Tempest Cleric is so, so much fun. There are a pair of gloves toward the end of Act 1 (Mountain Pass subzone) that are basically custom made for them. The gloves allow you to inflict Reverberation whenever you deal Thunder, Lightning, or Radiant damage (almost all your damage). Reverberation reduces enemy physical (strength/dex/con) saving throws by 1 per each stack. So you can nuke as well or better than any other caster, debuff, heal, buff. It's a very well-rounded and powerful build.

I really like the itemization Larian's done and I hope they take it further in DLC.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I've been slowly working on an Honour mode playthrough and I strongly recommend you keep up a backup save in case something stupid happens with NPCs randomly aggro'ing you in town.

I had this happen basically immediately after stepping into the Druid Grove. Talked to Zevlor and then he took a few steps, turned and started doing the "search for a thief" script and the whole town aggro'd on me. I had not stolen anything.

Also had Kagha and the druids aggro after the first time you meet with them. Might be related to Shadowheart as she reacts to the wolf.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
re: tempest cleric, I should mention the slightly cheesy way to inflict Wet with a bonus action

In Larian's homebrew, the Wet condition doubles Lightning and Cold damage (but halves Fire). With tempest's ability to maximize their lightning damage this lets you chaos dunk small areas with 30-60+ damage Call Lightning starting at level 5 and things get even sillier with Chain Lightning in the late game.

Dual wield hand crossbows. Hoard bottles of water (Auntie Ethel sells a stack of 5 in the druid grove, they restock on party member level up or long rest so buy a bunch). Drag a bottle of water from your inventory and drop it at the feet of an enemy which doesn't require an action. Then, use your offhand crossbow to break the bottle (bonus action) and inflict Wet. Now drop your Lightning nukes with Channel Divinity and you get maximized, double-damage spells.

You can also combo Wet + Cold damage to inflict Freeze on an enemy which is a hard CC. Blunt, Force, or Thunder damage is doubled against Frozen targets but it removes the Frozen condition. Frozen is a constitution saving throw and it's kinda rare to see it actually land on Tactician in my experience.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
divination wizard is not all that "exciting" but those forced dice rolls can be really clutch. you can force an effect to hit/miss and that can be really important for big fights

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Larian patched the exploit where you could put a vendor's inventory into a pouch or other container and pay 1 gold for it

however you can still stuff their entire inventory into a pouch and pickpocket the pouch with a sleight DC of 1 :shepface:

note that you may end up encumbered.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Forsythia posted:

I'm impressed by the incredible quality of this game, and I'm enjoying the questing, conversations, and looting, but there's one area of BG3 that is giving me trouble. I'm very unfamiliar with how the specifics of DnD combat works, and I sometimes find the big fights against many different foes overwhelming even on the lowest difficulty settings. I'm guessing there is something important I'm overlooking that would make them more manageable – crowd control spells, consumables, cleaving attacks? – but I have no idea where to begin, since I don't know the rules well enough to understand which potential tools have value. There of course are additional facets of the game such as character builds and party compositions that contribute to the outcome of fights too, but I don't know if I should go that far in depth yet.

Do any of you more experienced players have simple recommendations that will ease a new player into doing better with combat? (I know about healing potions, shared inventories, and bonus actions, so that's a good start)

where are you at in the game? what is your party setup and how are you approaching fights?

like the OP recommends, Examine enemies to see what effects they have. pay attention to environmental stuff, most encounters have several ways to approach them and you should absolutely "cheese" encounters instead of just fighting them head-on. yeet people off cliffs, stuff like that.

Shumagorath posted:

Did they ever patch out buying their affinity up to positive then sleep-picking their entire inventory unopposed?

idk I've not tried that one

edit: I'm not sure there's much point in exploits and cheese for a bunch of gold other than early on in Act 1, but it is quite nice to buy a bunch of nice stuff at level 3-4-5 at that point in the game.

Don't forget that vendor inventories refresh on character level-up and on long rest.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 10, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Forsythia if you let us know your party setup we can recommend some specific tactics and such. You don't need to min/max and respec everyone, if we have an idea of how you're set up we can give you some specific advice.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I thought I read in the patch notes they changed/fixed the circlet for that very reason, it was counting almost anything in the game as a "condition"

is it still busted good or is it actually working as intended now?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Probably only fixed in Honour mode where they tweaked damage riders.

the bg3 wiki is a really good resource and I haven't found it to be inaccurate anywhere: https://bg3.wiki/

of course the wiki could be wrong but it lists the change as for all difficulties https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Guide:Undocumented_Patch_5_updates#Item_changes

quote:

Diadem of Arcane Synergy now only gives Arcane Synergy when you inflict an effect on an enemy (Threatened doesn't count). Previously, it would activate whenever you inflicted any effect on anything.

it's still a neat item but it might be working as intended now

edit: I don't have a handy save to test it or I would because I'm curious

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Thinking about doing an actual Durge run, anything I need to know about College of Swords or does it play pretty straightforwardly? This is only on normal

it's straightforward and it rules. you get medium armor and scimitar proficiencies and an extra attack at level 6, plus you can use your Inspiration charges to make extra attacks and other stuff. Bard as your PC is great all-around, face character and you bring a ton of utility and fight good too.

edit: if you want to lean into a weapon attack blender, Swords bard combos really well with paladin, pact of blade warlock. note that blade pact warlock extra attack stacks in difficulties other than Honour which gets pretty busted

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 10, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
you can also do a ranged build as Swords bard, that works well too. Early on go dual hand crossbows or there's a short bow sold by Dammon in the druid grove that lets you cast Hunter's Mark and has advantage vs. Monstrosities, plus the gloves sold in the goblin camp that give +2 ranged damage

I don't see people talk about the elemental arrows much but they're quite strong early on, don't forget to use 'em if you've got a ranged character. It's an extra 2d4 damage in small area and inflicts the relevant elemental status effect.

I'm doing a Swords bard on my Honour playthrough and it's working really well. Stayed mostly at range early on until I got a good set of medium armor and now I melee more. You can do both at once.

another nice part of going Bard is you can easily cover thiefy tasks as well as face

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
You don't need to swap your party just turn Shadowheart into an offensive flavor of Cleric, either Light (fire, radiant damage) or Thunder (lightning, thunder, radiant). Her base Trickery domain is kinda bleh.

In D&D, there's no real point in having odd values of stats, which is why it's helpful to respec some of your companions. For example, medium armor wearers want 14 Dex and everyone wants even numbers of Constitution (preferably 14 but 12 is okay I suppose).

Following from the Swords bard conversation, you might consider swapping your PC to a bard. That would give you some arcane spells, offensive casting if you want, and a Swords bard makes an excellent archer type.

edit: lol efb we made the same comment basically.

Regarding stats, you want to max out your main offensive stat, 14 Dex for anyone not wearing heavy armor, and preferably 14 Con.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 10, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
barbarian is another class that has amazing class-specific dialogue

Regarding face character skills, imo Persuasion is the most important/useful for general diplomacy and there are a lot of high DC Persuasion checks, Intimidation second and Deception third in usefulness. There aren't many Performance checks.

Insight and Perception are also handy in dialogue but if you're gonna invest in skills/expertise for a bard or other face character go Persuasion.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Forsythia posted:

I'll respec Shadowheart into something more offensively oriented. Thank you for the specific tips on how to build her, The Lord Bude!

I'm not very married to being a crossbow ranger, and if people say sword bard is versatile and competent, I want to give it a shot. I have no idea where to begin with it though, as I have never touched the bard class. Can anyone give me some pointers as to what exactly I should be doing with it?

I'm grateful for all the advice for the combat side of BG3. I really like everything else about it, so this will help me enjoy the game a lot more as a whole.

Shadowheart, go either Light or Tempest. If you go Light, give her 14 Dex (wear medium armor), 14 Con, max Wis and distribute how you like otherwise. If you go Tempest you don't need the Dex (wear heavy armor) and can put them in Str or whatever. Grab a weapon and shield. Nuke poo poo. Bless is also super strong as a buff, for hard fights cast Bless on your allies and then nuke. You'll bonk things with weapons a fair bit early on because you won't have as many spells but once you get to level 5 your spell nuking will be quite strong. Don't worry too much about healing, memorize Healing Word (it only uses a bonus action) and use it in emergencies though.

For a sword bard you should max Dex and Charisma and keep 14 Con. When you spec into Swords go for the dual-wield option. You can dual wield scimitars, short swords, daggers, or hand crossbows. A vendor in the goblin camp sells nice +2 ranged damaged gloves. You're equally good shooting stuff at range as you are in melee. You want to mostly use Slashing Flourishes for damage, it allows you to attack two enemies or you can shoot the same enemy twice, it's very very strong. How much you want to cast spells in combat is up to you. I think Swords bard is better off focusing on dealing damage with weapons and using their spells for utility and buffs. So get stuff like Longstrider (it costs nothing to cast! always always have it on your whole party it's great), Disguise, Talk to Animals, Healing Word. Your spells are good but you probably want to go Lore school for a caster-focused bard.

As a Swords bard you're a dexterity-based swashbuckler type that does a ton of weapon damage in melee or at range, and you've got a bunch of spells to supplement that. Also you can handle all the conversation, bartering, lockpicking, and traps.

edit: you can go for a dueling single-weapon bard later on but dual wield will get you the most mileage early-mid game.

oh and for skills get expertise in Persuasion for big important dialogue checks and then whatever else you want

swords bard and light/tempest cleric are excellent as pure classes all the way to the maximum level of 12 you don't need to fuss with multiclassing unless you want to, totally optional.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 10, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Started up a Warlock run on Honour mode. I'm actually doing pretty well so far, but I'm not all that far. Killed the Harpies (though they killed Mirkon lol).

I wonder what's the best order to do things. I imagine the Spider is easier than the Hag or Paladins or Goblin camp, but I'm guessing on Honour mode it's still a huge piece of poo poo that could easily wipe me. That thing is annoying to deal with even on normal Tactician. Maybe the stuff up north is actually better to do first? I wonder. The Paladins have that one guy with the two hander who trucks but once you down him it's not so bad. The Gnolls can be nasty but proper CC can handle them. I dunno. What order are people doing things on honour mode?

I imagine it'd also be easy to wipe in the Blighted Village with a bad dialogue roll against the Windmill fucks because that fight is nasty if you don't talk your way out of it.

I should honest to god start taking notes on my Honour run. It's going pretty well so far, I'm like level 4.75. I did savescum once when I entered the druid grove, because I randomly aggro'd them my first run and I ended that run.

added spoilers just to be extra cautious I suppose. early Act 1 stuff:

The only fight that's really given me a rough time was the owlbears, but that's also about the only real boss fight (with added Honour mode mechanics) that I've done so far. Most of the fights seem the same as Tactician with maybe an added enemy here and there but honestly idk if that's even that often?

I haven't done paladins, harpies or the spider yet though I did dip into the Underdark to access the merchants there, the minotaurs are pretty easy and so was the bulette.

I played the EA through like 2.5 times and I've done another playthrough and a half of release game so I'm pretty familiar with the fights. Of course, the thing that will screw you are the new Honour mechanics on bosses especially if you're going in blind and not savescumming.

edit: specifically what happened my first honour run was Shadowheart reacted to the wolf in Kagha's room and for some reason it aggro'd Kagha. Shadowheart gets frightened by the wolf, druids aggro, I decide to end it as I'm level 3 and was only like 2h into the game.

I haven't done many actually hard fights this playthrough. I'll probably die soon lol

I'll have to try the harpies pretty soon I expect that fight might be rough. If you get unlucky with saves they can wreck you, their multiattack is nasty.

I found going to the underdark via zhentarim cellar a pretty easy area at level 4, you can get the mushroom guy to help you which trivializes a lot of combat. and if you enter from the zhentarim place you can shoot at the minotaurs and chokepoint them on the cliff, it's an easy fight.

mushroom guy can reanimate a corpse so what I did is go kill one of the hook horrors away from his buddies before he can yell, then raise him as a quite strong zombie. with the combination of zombie hook horror and mushroom guy (strong by himself) I had no trouble with the bulette and the duergar fights at level 4. you can also bring them for the spectator fight. basically all the tough fights in that zone are trivialized with Sovereign Glut except maybe if you fight the golems at the top of the Arcane Tower, I didn't try to take it up there.

if you leave the underdark and then return, Glut will heal

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 10, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
yeah I just tested and mushroom guy will indeed follow you anywhere in that subzone, including to fight Bernard at the top of the Arcane Tower and into the little hidden Cave of Boooall.

it kinda does trivialize that zone:

that's a lot of HP at level 4 and they hit fairly hard too

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
re: pickpocketing, if you're not aware there's a Smuggler's Ring that gives +2 to stealth and sleight and -1 charisma, you can get it very early in the game and it makes robbing Dammon and Arron in the grove very easy. It's slightly hidden, you can find it on a skeleton along the river near where you recruit Karlach.

I did the harpies on my Honour playthrough, I was wayyy overthinking that fight. They don't have that much HP. I had my team start on the cliff that overlooks the next, cast Feather Fall and had Lae'zel and Karlach jump over and murder the harpies. It's very doable at level 4.

I'm almost level 5 and running out of easier things to do, I've only done one "boss" fight so far (owlbears). The bosses have special abilities in Honour and otherwise it basically seems identical to Tactician..

Owlbears on Honour: the mother owlbear will summon a mate, and they both will berserk and take half physical damage at low HP or when a mate dies. They have a ton of HP and hit hard and it's hard to find enough non-physical damage to kill them quickly at low levels. I almost wiped, but I'd been spoiled on the unique boss mechanic being a second owlbear to fight.

I think I might work towards a Swords bard 5 + Oathbreaker paladin 7 build for blendering things with smite and flourish.

Swords bard really is a great PC pick. The one major downside of Swords bards is you're very limited in Bardic Inspiration charges, you get 4 charges at level 5 and 5 at 8, the maximum is five. I know there are the gloves that give you another charge but that's still only 6 charges. At level 5 they recharge on short rest which is great, but you still don't have a very deep pool for Flourishes in any one encounter. Is anyone aware of ways to regain Inspiration charges in combat, any spells or items?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the Underdark is trivialized by picking up Sovereign Glut (the mushroom dude). It has a ton of HP can can rez a spore zombie to help you too.

Glut can help you with every fight in that zone. You can enter through the Zhentarim basement, go to the myconid village and get Glut and then all the combat in the Underdark zone is pretty easy.

This way I was able to hit level 5 on my Honour playthrough before doing some of the harder fights.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Monathin posted:

You can do all the Underdark for sure but going to Grymforge triggers the Grove the same as going to the Mountain Pass does, I'm like 90% sure.

I don't believe so but I could be wrong.

If you long rest after starting Grymforge then the plot stuff (Nere) advances, so you probably want to wait and do Grymforge all in one go. Or not.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
cast concentration spell, turn into (owl)bear, repeat

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

alcaras posted:

Is there a good suggested order / checklist for Act 1 on Honor mode? (And later, for future acts?)

warning: vague spoilers about Act 1 encounters below

I'm only like half way through Act 1 but you wanna do the obvious stuff to get to level 4 and avoid some of the harder fights. Keep in mind that vendor inventories update/upgrade when you level so there is a lot better gear available once you hit level 4.

Harpies are very doable at 4 but are probably a little dicey at 3. The owlbear is tough and I'd definitely wait for level 4 or even level 5. The trick to the bosses with honour mode Legendary abilities seems to be to Prone or otherwise CC them so they can't use them? For the owlbear, the honour mode mechanic is she will yell and summon an adult mate which has pretty similar stats. They rage at low HP or when the other dies, which means they take half physical damage.

Once you get to level 4 you can easily complete all of the Underdark. Enter through the Zhentarim hideout and go directly to the myconid village and get Sovereign Glut to follow you around and fight for you. He will heal if you leave to the surface and return, and he can raise a spore zombie. Glut trivializes all of the combat in the Underdark section. Completing it will get you most of the way to level 5.

I managed to hit level 5 with the only big fights I did being: harpies, gnolls/flind, owlbear (this was close), and the Underdark fights (duergar, hook horrors, bulette, minotaurs, spectator, boo'all cave) which were trivialized by Glut and the spore zombie hook horror I raised. Of those the only one that was tough was the owlbear fight.

So, imo, get to level 4 then do the Underdark and you should be able to get to level 5 at which point you're safe doing some of the trickier fights. I would save the gith until level 6 though.

Also, if you don't mind cheese you can still easily rob Arron the halfling in the druid grove. Trade him a pouch, put all his stuff in the pouch, pickpocket the pouch (DC 1), rinse repeat. His inventory refreshes on level-up and long rest.

edit: you can also reliably rob Dammon with the same tactic, I usually have my thief hop behind his tent/forge and to the left there's a dark cliff there you can hide for a minute or two while the guard searches for you

Once you're level 5 you can do Grymforge or whatever. I don't think you can hit 6 without doing Grymforge. That's my plan next, I'd like to wait until 6 to fight the gith and do the creche

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 12, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
speaking of Prone, I think it's probably worth buying some of the ice arrows early on and shooting them at scarier enemies, the ice surface has a chance to prone

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

rojay posted:

I thought they patched that out?

they patched the larger exploit where you can buy a pouch full of whatever for 1g.

however you can still dump a vendor's entire inventory into a pouch and then pickpocket at difficulty 1

edit: and Arron and Dammon are the easiest vendors to pickpocket, I can reliably steal all their poo poo without getting busted. It's an easy and rather cheesy way to build a bankroll and get some good gear early on. I'm sure it will be hotfixed as well too, eventually.

edit2: oh there is more than DC 1 for the pouch but it's way way lower than it should be. You can dump a vendor's whole inventory in there and it's a pretty easy roll.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 12, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I've routinely seen the "all corpses dramatically re-enact their deaths upon load" thing.

I've also had druids in the grove randomly aggro my party, it was related to Shadowheart somehow. And Omeluum attacked me for no reason too.

did the spider boss it isn't meaningfully different than in Tactical imo, the boss ability isn't a huge change?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
With Swords bard don't forget your ranged Slashing Flourish is really powerful, you get two shots at +1d6-10 damage each and you can aim both of them at the same target. So you can effectively double your number of attacks as long as you have Inspiration charges to burn. Of course, ranged attacks can't Divine Smite and there are more damage modifiers for melee attacks. My point is that Swords bard builds make for a really powerful archer in addition to melee stuff.

My last couple fights on my Honour mode playthrough I've opened fights with my Tempest cleric and Swords bard both with high Initiative debuffing the scariest enemy. The Tempest cleric drops a water bottle and breaks it with offhand crossbow (inflicts Wet) and then casts Call Lightning. With the Act 1 items that inflict Reverberation (https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Gloves_of_Belligerent_Skies and https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Boots_of_Stormy_Clamour) this gives 4 stacks of Reverberation which debuffs physical saving throws (str/dex/con) by a whopping -4. Then the bard shoots a frost arrow (chance to prone vs. dex save) or acid arrow (-2 AC surface). Then the rest of the party whallops the baddie. Note that the 4 stacks of Reverberation from the cleric is unavoidable, it can't miss or be saved unless the enemy is immune to Lightning damage.

Maybe it's overkill but Larian did some cool itemization and I like messing around with it. Will probably end up building my party at least in part around debuffing the heck out of physical saves with Reverberation.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait do fighter and ranger fighting styles stack? Edit: taking one level in fighter and then rest would be ranger

yes in the sense you can get one from each, you can't double down and pick the same bonus twice

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
hand crossbows go pew pew

the elemental and other special arrows are really nice, I didn't use them much on earlier playthroughs but they're strong especially in the early game. Then there's the rarer more niche arrows such as

I'm gonna have to be more tactical with these, seems like they could be clutch in some fights.

edit: ice arrows in particular get a shoutout as they can inflict prone

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 12, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah I've recently become something of an "all ice all the time" party. Ice arrows on my duel-wielding hand crossbow Tav, ice bolt on Gale, ice knife on the two druids. It's hilarious watching Big Bads have their legs go out from underneath them.

yeah it's part of my Reverberation idea. Get four stacks of Reverb on something which debuffs its Dex saves and then just make the boss do comic pratfalls on ice each turn until they're dead

ugh I think my save might be broken I get a CTD a few second after loading

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do you get them wet for 2x damage?

also chance to Freeze! which is a hard CC

Reposting since it's relevant: a trick to inflict Wet is to hoard bottles of water, then move one from your inventory on top of an enemy (costs no actions), then shoot it with an offhand hand crossbow (bonus action). Then you can use your full action to cast a cold or lightning damage spell for double damage.

Note that Wet halves fire damage, so combo'ing Wet + Lightning/Cold doesn't play well with Fire damage.

edit: oh actually idk about just cold damage + wet inflicting Frozen. it might be harder than that.

Honestly it feels like Larian thought about a lot of the environmental stuff from D:OS2 but dialed it back a little. There's pieces of it in BG3 but it's not nearly as fleshed out or important.

edit2: yeah I think Frozen is Wet + Chilled (a rare effect) and not Wet + cold damage (much easier to find than Chilled). So freezing enemies is not an easy combo, though you still get double cold damage on Wet targets you just won't freeze them.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 12, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Wyll can wear light armor and use a shield because he's a human, but not medium without multiclassing or a feat.

Humans and half-elves are a good bit less squishy as pure arcane casters (wizard, sorceror, warlock) because they get those proficiencies.

edit: if you wanna be slightly powergamey you can respec Wyll as a blade pact warlock + paladin which is a super strong combo and imo fits very well thematically with his character and story arc

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 12, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
oh for some reason I thought Wyll came with Pact of the Chain by default but maybe that was only in EA. If you want to lean into the Blade of Frontiers bit you can go Pact of the Blade which lets you use Charisma as your weapon attack stat and also gets you an extra attack that stacks (bugged, but left in except in Honour mode) with the extra attack from martial classes.

Basically there are a lot of cool/strong combos around using charisma and bard-paladin-warlock levels. 7 levels of Paladin (Oathbreaker) gives you a saving throw aura based on your charisma but also a damage bonus so a warlock+paladin can double-dip charisma for damage.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Throwing builds are still very good even after their damage was nerfed/fixed this last big patch.

Being able to double-dip a stat for both attack and damage (Tavern Brawler) is really awesome combined with several solid returning weapons and +throwing damage items available. And the prone throw that barbs get is awesome, yeah.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

That sounds great, and fun. I figure they get lighting attacks.

Thunder, lightning, and a little cold damage in their spell nukes, yes.

Tempest cleric is incredibly fun and well-rounded and one of my favorites.

You get heavy armor and martial weapons so you're tanky and can melee pretty decently. You get all the standard cleric buffs, healing, and radiant type damage plus the thunder, lightning, and cold from Tempest domain.

Tempest's Channel Divinity lets them maximize damage on a Thunder or Lightning spell, up to twice per short rest. This means they can chaos dunk small groups of enemies with huge spell nukes. The big combo is to get enemies Wet which doubles Lightning damage, then cast Call Lightning using your Channel Divinity and they take 60 damage or 30 if they succeed their saving throw.

There are also a couple items (gloves and boots) in Act 1 that allow you to inflict the Reverberation status effect which pairs really nicely with all of the above.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm doing well. Going to see how bad the Grymforge feller is soon

I did Grym last night and thought it was pretty easy. The new Legendary ability is only relevant if you're attacking it directly so I just used the hammer x3 and killed the mephits that appear and it was straightforward.

Honestly the biggest risk on Honour mode is misclicking and having someone run into the lava. Party members love to do that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Robobot posted:

So before I do the goblin camp, if I go to the monastery first that DOES advance the grove plot line correct? So they’ll succeed and I’ll run into Minthara at Moonrise still? I haven’t gotten her in my party yet in any playthroughs, so trying to figure out my next move. RP-wise it would be going to the crèche, but I don’t wanna miss her.

yes, going to the Mountain Pass / monastery advances the goblin-druid plot stuff if you have not already resolved it

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

OTOH misclicks in BG3 can lead to some funny outcomes, not unlike poor decisions in actual tabletop games

I'm doing a co-op with three buds and it's very fun. My recommendation for anyone doing co-op especially with 3 or 4 players is to abandon trying to roleplay or actually pay attention to dialogue it's really hard. Instead we're just curbstomping through with OP builds (battlemaster fighter, tempest cleric, warlock, open hand monk) on tactician and it's a lot of fun, no reloads allowed.

The funniest incident was in Grymforge where there's a moving platform and lever. I tell them on voice "did you guys know you can shoot levers to toggle them?" as I shoot the lever. They did not know this, and their characters were mid-jump when I shot the lever, so the platform moves underneath them and they fall to their deaths. Voice chat was silent for about 30s as everyone is having a good laugh.

trevorreznik posted:

Gosh darn it, I completely screwed up my honor playthrough. Was being careful and cautious and managed to hit level 4 by killing priestess gut with silence, dipping into underdark for the radiant armor, and coming back up.

I haven't done either gnoll fight, waukeens rest, hag, spiders, harpies, wood woad/mephits, or gith. Instead I go fight minthara, and she lands a hold person and absolutely obliterated my karlach PC. And then...I kill her instead of remembering to go with passive damage. Arghhhh

So to stay overpowered, I feel like there's 5 great options and I have to not do one.
Lae'zel is going to stay heavy armor 2hand weapon with trip attacks
Shadowheart is going to be light (I want warding flare)/radiant gear.
My karlach is a berserker barb which is..ok. I've seen people talk about on command prone, I assume from enraged throw + STR potions.
And astarion right now is either going to go open hand monk or bard. I have the +1 hand crossbow already from dammon.
I feel like monk is the better option, is that the right move? Frankly I'm wondering if I should just respect shadowheart to bard in act 3.

I still need to set up gale to make elixirs and cast long strider on people. Just been abusing Ethel potions for now.

monk is better damage and bard is way more utility, since you don't have a charisma character you might want Astarion bard to do face and skillbot stuff. Open hand monk really takes off at levels 5 (extra attack) and 6 (1d4+Wis bonus damage)

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 14, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Monathin posted:

You don't get the Extra Attack anymore but you still get a lot of poo poo from going a more traditional split. I'd probably go Warlock 7/Bard 5, since that still gets you Font of Inspiration and the usual bag of Sword Bard tricks while letting you get 4th-level Warlock slots (and a third Short Rest, obviously)

this is my plan for my Honour mode run, Swords bard 5 for third level spells (meh, bard spell list is mediocre for combat honestly), an inspiration charge and inspirations recharge on short rest then either blade pact warlock or oathbreaker paladin 7

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There's a bunch of gear in later Act 1 and in Act 2 that interacts with thunder/lightning damage and it's really fun to throw that on a tempest cleric. You're tossing around nukes debuffing everything with Reverberation (reduces str/dex/con saves by 1 per stack, Prones at 5 stacks), Encrusted with Frost (disdvantage on dex saves, Freeze at 7 stacks) and occasionally Dazed.

It's fun and combos super well with other nukes and abilities that target dex because you'll be shredding dex saves very significantly.

edit: this also allows your cleric to more easily take feats like War Caster, Alert, or whatever because you don't really need to squeeze out more +spell attack/DC from Wisdom as you'll be reducing enemy dex saves by a lot (most of your nukes target dex)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

So with Shadowheart, why does Shar want her so badly? Want her parents? Give her a stigmata? I must of missed some dialog somewhere that explains it all.

Shar really really hates Selune and Shadowheart and her parents were Selune worshipers. Shar is cruel and gets her jollies from wiping SH's memory and tricking SH into abandoning Selune and worshipping Shar instead. Shadowheart is just sort of a pawn in the eternal Shar-Selune beef. At least that's my understanding of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure some people know this but I'm pretty sure you can trigger long rest stuff by long resting and not spending supplies too. If you're worried about wasting supplies by resting too much you can always just do that to force triggers. Not that you should be worried about wasting supplies because even on my honour run I've found such a disgusting amount of them that it would be very hard for me to blow through them all even with resting liberally.

I'm currently wrapping up Act 2 on my hm run. Just have Halsin's quest and the temple/final brawl to do. Switched my Lock to 5 Lock/4 Sword bard (eventually 7/5 plan) and having an extra short rest is pretty nice as a lock I must say...plus all the other goodies of course. Haven't had any issues at all with fights in this chapter although I was able to persuade two of the bosses to kill themselves.

In general hm has been a similar experience to tactician for me in that once I hit level 5 I started to dominate most fights. The only one that's given me major issues since hitting lvl 5 has been the creche. The boss fight there was significantly tougher on hm, though part of that was I think I had a bad approach to it.

Bladepact Warlock has been a lot of fun even with no longer being able to stack a third attack on it. That Warhammer with the +1d6 lightning damage absolutely trucks as a pact weapon, and with sword bard I hit fairly hard with my off hand too. No idea what I'll roll if I wipe on this and/or if I decide to do another run.

5 Swords bard + some combination of Blade pact warlock and Oathbreaker paladin levels is where I'm gravitating for HM playthrough as well. It lets you be the party face and skills monkey (including sneak/sleight) very effectively and is a beast in combat as well. I feel like you could go 5 Swords bard + 7 of either or 5 Swords bard + 5 Blade warlock + 2 paladin and have it work nicely, probably depends a lot on gearing and where you're at in the game which setup will work best.