Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What is parboiled rice, actually?
And what sort of rice should I be expecting if I buy unspecified parboiled long-grain rice at Aldi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

We mostly bought 20kg bags of broken rice when I was a kid, because it is cheaper. I assume it gets sorted at one of those sifting stages. Does that happen in the producer country or during the repacking at the destination country?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

That's an awesome thread and I'm sad I only noticed it it today for the first time. I usually use jasmine rice for everyday cooking as there's a big market nearby and I can get huge sacks at good prices directly from the Vietnamese sellers which is pretty nice.

What kind of rice would be best for Central-Asian type of pilaf though? I think I tried making this Uzbek plov with Basmati rice as that's what the limited specific information I could find seems to recommend. But I wonder if there are some pro-tips for this type of dishes (not my photo)

Parboiled rice works very well for pilavs it is what I use most of the time. Or Turkish rice, if I get some on sale. Also if you feel fancy do that trick where you replace around 1/10th of the rice with orzo pasta for contrast.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

I have read basmati may be acceptable, and I have also read that Turkish rice (baldo), while common for making Özbek pilavı in Turkey, is completely inauthentic.

The thing to understand about pilavs is that it is impossible to make it inauthentic. You can walk from Spain to Japan and have a different locally authentic pilav-style dish every day. Each is also inauthentic to the village you were in yesterday. And then do the same again including Africa or the Americas.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I remember one of the GWS questions threads had someone who was afraid that white rice will kill him with diabetes if he ate it every day. He was asking for ideas because he moved to some pacific island where everybody eats white rice every day and other starches were comically expensive.
First and last time I had heard of the idea.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I had jaw surgery last week, and I was specifically told "no rice until all the stitches dissolve".

Apparently they've had issues with rice getting into the healing gums.

Yeah. I forgot that once. Then the dentist pulled out a bloody grain rice from the wound and showed it to me, put me off eating rice for another week. That was before fully dissolving stitches became popular, though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

A vital question from outside the forums...

...but it does make me genuinely curious: rice grains do vary in size from cultivar to cultivar, what are the biggest and smallest rice?

Rice gets polished down quite a bit to get from brown to white rice. So if you polish 70% of your normal rice away you get very small rice spheres. Those are mostly used for high priced sake, afaik.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That reminds me of those vitamin containing breeds from a few years ago. They never showed up for sale in my area, do you know if they got popular anywhere?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

How do you feel about the existence of this?

That describes lab grown meat that is grown on rice. I think calling it rice makes as little sense as calling a rice fed chicken rice.
Just make some chickenrice instead.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Does anybody know a reasonable mid tier supplier for mail order rice in Germany?
I just use to buy what was on sale at the Turkish market, but after my move there is none nearby. And with the shipping added I can easily go up to medium quality. I probably want basmati.
I only find three normal market stuff where shipping costs feel significant. Or the hipster stuff that sells 100g trial bags in paper bags.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just rucksacked a 5kg bag of nice parkistani basmati from the nearest Turkish market, through a 1 hour transit ride. The Indian market is around 10 minutes further away.
You need a pretty big bag for 10kg bags, especially if you grab other groceries, too.

Are oxygen absorbers worth the effort? And how often do I need to change them when I remove rice for cooking?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, I just was at the supermarket and saw some "original indian basmati". I wouldn't buy it there, but I noticed that it said "milled and packaged in the Netherlands".
I thought milling happened in the producer countries. Is that brand just unusual?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I would be interested in knowing how they prevent the washing off of the fortification.
Do they just put a lot on the rice, or make it insoluble in cold water, or let it soak in?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

lol:

quote:

Hot extrusion: dough made of rice flour, vitamin/mineral mix, and water is passed through a single- or twin-screw extruder that cuts it into grain-like structures that resemble rice grains. Hot extrusion involves relatively high temperatures (70–110 °C), obtained by preconditioning and/or heat transfer through steam-heated barrel jackets. It results in fully or partially precooked simulated rice-like grains that have a similar appearance (sheen and transparency) to unfortified rice kernels

Remember that meme video about sushi, where they decorate that the cheapest sushi actually uses pasta.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 22, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Are you still eating dumb rice?
Have some app supported smart rice instead, very original:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I once asked the guy at the Turkish market near me for a cheap brand or alternative for saffron to try out saffron rice. He sold me a bag of yellow food coloring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

what are the best lazy rice dishes? im talking put some rice in the rice cooker and do a trivial amount of extra work for a meal. stuff akin to stirring in a raw egg, etc

Put some rice in the rice cooker, put some veggies in the steamer basket above it.
Then assemble and pour over some spice mix. Like Furikake, Shichimi, LGM, or whatever.

For more power you can add a whole egg to the steamer. Or mix in the raw egg into your rice. Or add some canned fish to your meal. Or premade daal from your fridge.

For slightly more effort you take the same veggies, shake them with gee and soy-sauce and brown them in your oven/air-fryer/pan. Similarly you turn the egg into an omelet.