Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I spent a good part of the pandemic improving my fried rice, specifically getting it to taste like the stuff you get at a good hibachi place. I've nailed most of the seasonings and flavors now, but I'm not sure I'm using the best rice.

My go-to white rice at home is Thai Jasmine long-grain (usually Mahatma brand). It's great with just about anything else, but it doesn't seem to fry well for me. I've tried the cookie sheet method right out of the rice cooker, and I've also let it sit in a large bowl in the fridge overnight.

The problem is that this rice is extremely sticky and hard to break up, which results in uneven frying and sometimes some crunchy bits. Drying it helps a bit, but the window between "slightly easier to separate" and "so dry that it turns black the second it touches the pan" seems tiny.

Should I try a different type of rice for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

dino. posted:

Re: fried rice. Leave it in the fridge after cooking in an airtight container. Do not let it sit in the fridge in a bowl uncovered. Else it will dry out and desiccate. You need the moisture.
Oh, for sure. I put it in a big Pyrex glass bowl with an airtight lid.

quote:

That said, jasmine rice is too sticky in my opinion to be a good choice for stir fried rice. Long grain white should do well, or basmati if you’re feeling fancy.
My local megamart only has "extra" long-grain rice unless you go up to 25+ pound bags. Is there a practical difference, or is it just a branding thing?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

PokeJoe posted:

what are the best lazy rice dishes? im talking put some rice in the rice cooker and do a trivial amount of extra work for a meal. stuff akin to stirring in a raw egg, etc

Grab a rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket and toss some in with some freshly-cooked white or brown rice and a favorite sauce or seasoning. I'm partial to peri-peri sauce, Bachan's Japanese BBQ sauce, or even just a little butter.

Honestly, adding a little butter and salt to some fresh rice is pretty awesome on its own.