Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
as well as the roadblocks to stopping it.

https://theintercept.com/2023/12/09/chicago-police-department-racism-civilian-complaints/

quote:

See No Evil
Why Does the Chicago Police Department Tolerate Abusive Racists in Its Ranks?
Racism as Sport

Yet it was not their overt racism that brought down the SOS officers. Nor is that how their crimes are categorized. Their racism only made news as a coda to the scandal, when some nine years into Finnigan’s incarceration, a photograph became public in court documents that had been taken in a police station in 2003 or thereabouts. It shows Finnigan and Timothy McDermott, another member of SOS, holding rifles while kneeling over a Black man with antlers on his head and his tongue hanging out — their hunting trophy.

The photo provides a glimpse of something at once fundamental and elusive: the practice within the CPD of racism as sport. Officers so disposed have enjoyed license to toy with Black and brown Chicagoans. The performance of racial contempt is not incidental to some other purpose. It’s the point of the exercise, an end in itself, a perverse source of pleasure.

quote:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/12/6/23989776/chicago-taxpayers-nearly-700-million-lawsuits-framed-police

Chicago taxpayers have paid nearly $700 million since 2000 in lawsuits by people who say police framed them
The payouts from the 300 cases have included $140 million that went to lawyers for the city and $537 million paid to plaintiffs.

My comments:

Lori Lightfoot once responded to people saying defund the police with a retort that I thought had some validity. If they were to reduce personnel through layoffs, the first people to go would not be the old timers, but the people they just hired. The worst people, the people most responsible for the culture are those old timers. But while this is true, until something substantive is done, Chicagoans will pay the bill and the most marginalized people in the city will continue to be crushed under the boot of what essentially a mafia in blue.

The most common retort when it comes to talking about corrupt cops and racist cops and psycho power tripping cops is that it is "just a few bad apples." Mind you the full expression is that "a few bad apples spoils the bunch." Bad cops undermine the legitimacy of the organization as a whole and also cause other cops to become bad cops by modeling bad behavior. But supposing that it is only a minority of cops who are "bad cops."

Robert Evans of Behind the Bastards once made a good point about the Boy Scouts, also applicable to the Catholic Church that I will paraphrase, any organization that is the size of the Chicago police is going to have people attempting to join or remain in the organization who should not be there. I do not fault the Catholic Church or Boy Scouts merely for having a large number of pedophiles *attempting* to join those organizations or *attempting* to remain in those organizations. What I absolutely can fault the Church and the BSA for is over the top, appallingly gross negligence, at best when it comes to internal controls and at worst, complicity in those acts. Upon receiving a report of child sexual abuse, the procedure at the BSA for years was that the report would go into file cabinet and never be looked at again. Scout masters could be outed, and then they would show up in some other region, become a scout master, and no one would check the records.

In addition to the lack of controls those organizations had leaders that were more concerned with the organizations image than protecting victims and they had organizational cultures that silenced those reporting the problem through legal threats and sometimes even coercion.

This is also true of the Chicago police department, in part because of the powerful union. Police should not have unions. Firing an officer should not be this complicated. People get fired from jobs all the time. It shouldn't require as much work as convicting someone of a felony. They can just get a different job. They have inadequate controls, inadequate discipline: far too much red tape and investigation before merely firing an officer, they look upon racism and membership in hate groups as "free speech." The CPD or the union have also been known to threaten victims of police abuse and police corruption and to target journalists and activists. This is the department that completely got away with murdering civil rights activist Fred Hampton without even the veneer or pretension of enforcing a law. This even extends to police who are whistleblowers.

So yes, I think we can judge them over "a few bad apples" because they do nothing of consequence about those bad apples, silence victims of those bad apples, allow the bad apples in to leadership and mentoring positions, allow those bad apples to make all the other apples bad.

This is the behavior of a criminal organization and elected officials, even when they are doing their best to reform this problem face extensive challenges. Let's say you wanted to reform this as an elected official like Brandon Johnson. In the short term the police would willfully make the crime worse, refuse to enforce the law, launch lawsuit after lawsuit, unleash a propaganda campaign about how the mayor loves crime and criminals, lean on contracts put in place by more reactionary prior mayors. In the long term, in theory, you could replace the police department with something else, but you won't survive in the long term.

And none of this is unique to Chicago. Other police departments also have these problems and respond to attempts at reform with petulance, work slow downs, and even violence.

Police should not have unions. Police should not be allowed to strike. Police should be easy to fire. They can get new jobs. Complaint records should be public, substantiated or not, and allowed to be introduced by the defense. There should be alternatives to police while the house is cleaned, ready to go. The police are as bad as the Catholic Church and they need to be brought down without having to depend on one progressive mayor and DA. This is a bigger undertaking that can't be left to the electoral process.

Zoeb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Yep.
And the history of cpd is a horror show. One example from when I lived there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homan_Square_facility

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
Rampant culture of racism and criminality within the INSERT ANY CITY HERE police

But yeah cpd peaks as high as a pointy mask

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

There was an article that I cannot now find, from maybe ten years ago? About how CPD was even going after rich white boys with impunity. The example given was an off-duty cop that was being obnoxious to women in a bar and a guy stepped in and told him to knock it off. The cop left and waited for the guy to leave and beat the poo poo out of him. Cops were called and they took statements and took the guy into custody and when said victim checked on his complaint found it didn’t exist. The guy was an investment banker or tech bro or some privileged white guy and was of course absolutely shocked and enraged that such a thing actually happened in real life. I think he finally dropped it after cops started following him around and pulling him over and basically harassing him into dropping the case.

Anyone remember this? Maybe in the Chicago Reader or similar?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Second-worst police force in the United States.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Sucrose posted:

Oh is albequerque's finest still doing a great job of exceeding cpd's example or is it somewhere else now

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my mom grew up on the southside of chicago, and even in her polish majority neighborhood the cpd was known as a group of thugs who were more likely to shake you down than help you. my uncle has a long list of frame-up tricks he's heard of the cops using to give letter of the law citations as bribe inducement. always hard to imagine if that was their image in white neighborhoods in the 1960's, what level of poo poo they had to be getting up to in black neighborhoods

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my mom grew up on the southside of chicago, and even in her polish majority neighborhood…
lol I’m in Bridgeport right now and there are a lot of loving Daley shrines in odd places. Cool neighborhood now though, seems like most of the old school bigots moved to the burbs.

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

Sucrose posted:

What’s the first

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

tehslime posted:

What’s the first
Portland is def up there. PPB does love them some fascists.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

tehslime posted:

What’s the first

LAPD/LASD?

I mean LASD has literal "blood in/blood out" gangs.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

tehslime posted:

What’s the first

Baton Rouge/New Orleans are p bad too. Louisiana always beat out IL for corruption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Oracle posted:

Baton Rouge/New Orleans are p bad too. Louisiana always beat out IL for corruption

Louisiana is definitely a contender, nobody here should discount how awful the slave labor in Angola is.