Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Our watch-through is only in the beginning of season 4. So far the show has been three-quarters serial killer episodes with some paranormal twist. There are SO MANY EPISODES where disability is equated with evil.

Latest episode was serial killer, but he accidentally projects his (mentally ill) thoughts onto nearby film.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 11, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We love it every time Scully is asked the psychology questions instead of Mulder even though he was initially conceived and introduced to the show as a psychologist. They lost that almost immediately after season 1.

Scully smart educated one in all sciences. Spooky Mulder says spooky stuff. Brrrrr.

I think at some point in one of the newer seasons, Mulder straight up says “I’m not a psychologist.”

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

NWS just to be safe. It's David Duchovny with the tea cup.

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/tlVl4AO.jpeg :nws:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yep.

I enjoy finding all the Stargate actors as we go too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This was a good bit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Gillian Anderson wanted to get the tattoo for real, but production asked her not to because it would take too long to heal and, of course, please don't do that for this lovely episode.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I AM GRANDO posted:

Chris Carter ponderous monologues are so bad. They’re indistinguishable from parody.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's not an all-time great episode but I enjoy the one where Bruce Campbell is a demon who's trying to have a baby but just so happened to marry another demon who wants to have a demonic offspring.

The ending reveal was good. Bruce Campbell, honestly, wasn't great for a show featuring Bruce Campbell. Which is a real shame. He should have been totally ham the entire episode.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 4, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
X-Files is extraordinarily ableist, even by 90s standards. So that messes with worst episode rankings for me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Could you give a few examples?

Yeah let me throw a dart here.

Season 3, Episode 14: Bad guy is a mentally ill man (Mostow) who claims a demon is making him kill others. Red Foreman is so obsessed with catching the killer, he unknowingly becomes mentally ill himself by empathizing with him and starts performing murders.

Random number generator'd that one. Honestly, first hit.

It's really supremely easy to notice this though. How many times is the bad guy mentally ill, or deformed in some way, or someone dealing with trauma? If they're actually trying to portray a specific disability, notice how they dial it up to 11 and sprinkle on as many other unrelated disabilities as possible, such as Roland's Autism.

How often is someone with a disability only there to be pitied? Every single instance where they're not the bad guy.

"Mulder also believes that Harold formed some kind of profound connection to the victims but was unable to express his feelings due to his Autism so a psychic connection formed between him and the murdered women."
-Elegy, Season 4, Episode 22

Magical Disabled Trope, an offshoot of the Magical Negro trope.

Any amount of googling will show umteen instances of disability being portrayed poorly. They're not rare at all. It's a theme. Disability is used as inspiration for X-Files episodes.

Here's an article about disability stereotypes. It might help you pin specific tropes to the episodes you watch.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 5, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Right? I posted a great bit of that episode earlier.

Just different writers.

Zesty posted:

This was a good bit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

A Fancy Hat posted:

My personal picks for worst episodes, based solely on how much I enjoyed them:

1) My Struggle IV: The final episode of the revival seasons and, presumably, the final episode of the show. Skinner dies (I think!?) in the most unsatisfying way possible, nothing is actually resolved, and Mulder and Scully STILL don't get a reunion with their kid, which has been a huge driving force of this entire season. Completely terrible.

Also Reyes becomes a bad guy for reasons?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Was there supposed to be non-supernatural explanations up until season 6? Because most of the time it was just ghosts or aliens or the leechman.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SRQ posted:

Dana Skunksy as promised.

You really didn't need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dear Agent Scully: Did not appreciate your lawyer's tone.