Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I was 12 when Twin Peaks aired, and all my friends and I were loving HOOKED. We didn't get all of it but even that amazing. I don't think I've actually ever rewatched it, maybe I should.

100% this. I watched X-Files when it first aired and the mythology episodes were considered weaker than the monster of the week stuff even back then. They just seem even hokier today.

It feels like they got kind of trapped in a bad place, where the first seasons' mythology started feeling repetitive when it was just basically "Mulder hears about a secret government facility where they keep REAL ALIENS but when he gets there it has been mysteriously cleared out" over and over again, and once they started raising the stakes it started getting more and more ludicrous.
The problem is that the show was so successful that any conclusion to it would ruin the money train. Also Chris Carter is a hack at writing endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

I like that they made an evil HOA episode because one of the show runners had a beef with his HOA

They also had to make 26 episodes a year, so they did a lot of crazy poo poo.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

X-files in the 1700s, but it's all poo poo that turns out to be true, eventually.

"Come along, Hammersmith! The rumors at the docks is that there's a woman doing surgeries and claiming to heal the sick and injured!"
"My word, Locksley, this must be some sort of jest! Sounds like quackery to me!"
"Please, Hammy, the surgical arts have proponents that believe that they will one day be able to enter into the bodies of the ill and mend injuries from organs that have become afflicted with foulness. It's already being researched at the top schools of Europe."
"It's quackery to me, Locksley. The fact that a woman is involved only proves as much that it's not real medicine! It's probably some sort of deviltry at best!"

"Hammy! Take a look upon this! It's a carriage being driven from unseen force but sounds like screeching animals! Rumor has it that the smith that crafted it has found a way to turn whale oil into food that feeds a mechanical dog that drives its movement!"
"Deviltry, I say, Locksley, pure deviltry! I'd reckon that smith has rather fed his own soul to Scratch, himself, for the means of moving that cart by the hand of witchcraft!"
"But, Hammy, what if it is true? I hear talk of chemists in Italy that have proposed that the mechanics of such a device be not that dissimilar from the discharge of a loaded musket propelling a ball of lead across a battlefield!"

"It's a secret society that aims to rule through ELECTIONS."
"You mean just the smallfolks choosing people to run the village and serve as sheriffs? That's not unheard of, I suppose. The Crown can scarcely afford a man in all those tiny places to handle their little affairs."
"Not for a village, or a town. A whole country. The very highest levels of leadership being granted to ANYONE and can be chosen by EVERYONE!"
"Only the hand of the devil himself could be behind such an affront to the God-ordained appointments!"

(In the end, it's actually deviltry, but someday, Hammy, it'll be real.)

This is approximately the Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Doug Sisk posted:

Was Millennium a spin-off? I'm too lazy to google but a quick guide would be good.
I was a massive fan of x-files for the first few seasons but lost interest when it veered away from the monster of the week episodes. I may still have one of the original x-files t-shirts somewhere around here...

There was an X-files crossover episode that tied up millennium. But really, expecting continuity out of Chris Carter is a waste of time.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Wasn't there an episode where people come from a future not controlled by aliens? Doesn't that imply that alien domination is not inevitable?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

When it aired on Sundays it was probably up against popular stuff.

X files, a notoriously unpopular show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Outpost22 posted:

How does one become an alien booty hunter?

The XXX-files is over there