Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

BasicLich posted:

i was looking into this popular dark souls sword, the Estoc and from what I read it's a hispanization of an english sword known as a "Tuck", but strangely enough the Estoc and the Tuck look nothing alike except for being rather heavy swords. the Estoc appears to be a plunging sword with a triangular or square blade with no cutting capability whatsoever and the Tuck is a heavy single edged cutting sword

the writings from the time advised to bring a Tuck for cutting wood, which is why i was reminded of this mystery.

Hmm, interesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
SWORDS ARE NOT FOR DECORATION!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuI1zY46OX0

SWORDS WILL loving CUT YOU WIDE OPEN!!!

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Pneub posted:

Hmm, interesting...

its not customary to sign your posts with a self portrait

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ibexaz posted:

In school me and my friends bought bokken sticks at the sword store in the mall and we'd beat the poo poo out of each other in my buddy's back yard. Most of the bokken broke or got displaced over the years, but I kept a hold of one of them, an orangish brown one covered in tape to stop it from splitting any more than it already was, the edges bashed and dented from combat. I loved that thing.

Anyways around a decade later I found a dojo in town that offered, essentially, samurai sword classes. And when it came time to practice our swings the sensei let me use my my bokken for practice! This scarred wooden sword coursing with the memories of countless battles between my closest buds. And I got to use it for my ACTUAL samurai class!! Thanks for the memories, sword store at the mall.

I laid open my right hand to the bone while screwing around as a teenager with a bokken. Later we got shinai, which lasted maybe an afternoon before somebody got hit way too hard

I'd hella go to a samurai class tho

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

BasicLich posted:

its not customary to sign your posts with a self portrait

That hat would never fit over my chonmage, bakageta...

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
again, don't sign your posts

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Communist Bear posted:

It used to but then the UK banned weeaboo swords.

Tyrants

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
My daughter used to be into lifting and movies.

Now she likes anime and collects swords,

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Today I learned my roommate has a mall katana that was made in 2001 and he said it's become a collector's item and has appreciated in value since he bought it. I did not believe him so he looked it up on ebay and son of a bitch it was worth substantially more than when he bought it. The value of my life has appreciated less in the last 22 years than a mall katana. I have been living wrong.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the mall in Ventura had a sword and knife store at some point. They had a Radio Shack, a KB Toys, and a Thomas Kinkade gallery after all.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
More like my sword store has a mall. It's the only anchor store left and basically the only STORE left in the drat thing. "Blades, Blades, Blades" has literal thousands of different swords and blades but funnily enough it doesn't have any kitchen knives. That's why the kitchen store is also there.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I do not believe there is a store to buy swords in my town.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I went by a pawn shop yesterday and they had a bunch of SS daggers. Dishonorable sword store.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I had to look at the Maine Mall directory, and alas, there does not appear to be a dedicated sword store.

There is a tattoo parlor, which is pretty cool for a mall.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mall near me does not have a sword store afaict but does have one of those gift shops where they sell incense and small statues of Buddha and call it "Oriental Somethingorother." They might have swords

That mall would be like a normal-rear end mall if they just cut off the third floor and moves the survivors into the empty spaces on the 1st and 2nd floors.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Szyznyk posted:

I went by a pawn shop yesterday and they had a bunch of SS daggers. Dishonorable sword store.

Can always narc on em, that shits illegal to sell.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Charles Bukowski posted:

Can always narc on em, that shits illegal to sell.

:dafuq:

Assuming this is a pawn shop in the US or most of the world.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It's pronounced "sword store"

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

lalaland posted:

Just buy your swords online like normal people

IT'S TAPE!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
swords and tequila, carry me thru the night

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone get a sword for the holidays?

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
There used to be a place we called the "Sword n' Bong" at the mall. Maybe I should check if it's still there.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Charles Bukowski posted:

I got a gift card so there's still time

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

sex excellence posted:

More like my sword store has a mall. It's the only anchor store left and basically the only STORE left in the drat thing. "Blades, Blades, Blades" has literal thousands of different swords and blades but funnily enough it doesn't have any kitchen knives. That's why the kitchen store is also there.

Do they actually sell many because that sounds like a money laundering front.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My parents gave me a tiny itty bitty anvil, I guess I can forge a sword letter opener?

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe

Charles Bukowski posted:

My teenage nephew got a bitchin' katana. I was jealous.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Does this count? https://houseofknives.ca/schrade-priscilla-makhaira-schmbscp/

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Fighting Elegy posted:

There used to be a place we called the "Sword n' Bong" at the mall. Maybe I should check if it's still there.

Truly a store that knows their target audience

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I want a Swordbong

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Ibexaz posted:

In school me and my friends bought bokken sticks at the sword store in the mall and we'd beat the poo poo out of each other in my buddy's back yard. Most of the bokken broke or got displaced over the years, but I kept a hold of one of them, an orangish brown one covered in tape to stop it from splitting any more than it already was, the edges bashed and dented from combat. I loved that thing.

Anyways around a decade later I found a dojo in town that offered, essentially, samurai sword classes. And when it came time to practice our swings the sensei let me use my my bokken for practice! This scarred wooden sword coursing with the memories of countless battles between my closest buds. And I got to use it for my ACTUAL samurai class!! Thanks for the memories, sword store at the mall.

Get Japanese white oak for your bokken, that stuff is solid. Mine is over thirty years old and has a couple dents, but its seen some pretty intense training.

The best mall for a sword store I ever saw was in Tijuana. YMCA beach camp in San Diego for a week with a one day excursion across the border. This was pre-9/11 and they'd take us down, walk across the border (without passports) and then the counselors would just set up at a bar/cafe and tell us all to go have fun, "check back in at noon, and we leave at 4 o'clock". Seriously a bunch of 16-17 year olds left to their own devices in Tijuana.

Of course we'd split up into groups of 5 or six kids, and the priority for most of the guys was to get a butterfly knife. They were all the rage and coolness at the time probably from a movie or TV show.

We went around to several shops that were mediocre, over priced junk essentially. We got to one shop though and the owner was all "Would you boys like to see the back room?" Nothing terrifying about that. So of course we checked it out.

The back room was a freaking arsenal of weaponry. Two walls of knives and swords, two walls of pistols and assault rifles. A bunch of teenage gringos just handling and checking out all the weapons.

A few butterfly knives were bought, a few assault rifles were handled and returned. The vendor made a decent profit, I'm sure, and then we went on our merry way. All the knives were smuggled across the border in the underwear. "Hey we're just a bunch of white Christian kids with our counselors. It's all good!" Nobody got checked.

Back at surf camp everyone was playing with their knives when the counselors weren't around. Overall, a very wholesome and heart-warming experience.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
The last time I went to the mall near me there was a sword store. Also an anime store. But this was when I was in my mid-40s, so that has probably changed.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
You were in your mid 40s in the mid 40s, so probably.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why don't sword houses have property dueling arenas so you can test out your purchases with other worthy opponents

Or a full time dojo combined with the sword store so you can see students practicing with their 師範

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i was dropping off a package at the post office inside this vendor mall and took a picture of this place and all these swords

now i understand this is Big Dan's Trading Post I suppose there's not much trade these days except in, uhhh, bladed things

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Chief McHeath posted:

i was dropping off a package at the post office inside this vendor mall and took a picture of this place and all these swords

now i understand this is Big Dan's Trading Post I suppose there's not much trade these days except in, uhhh, bladed things

while you shorted gamestop, dan traded in blades

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Swords are illegal here in britain, sorry.

Except for actual antiques anyway.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Chief McHeath posted:

The zombie green swords brought up a thought, can you put truck nuts on a sword? Like make the end of the handle (I don't know sword words, hilt, pommel?) out of a truck nuts?

e: I guess this is kinda close, but not veiny enough

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 21, 2024

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I'm in Atlanta and we have a lot of malls still. I was gonna say there's no sword store, but then I remember the one mall has a Medieval Times and the gift shop has swords. We DO got mall swords here in Atlanta!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Chief McHeath posted:

If they'd had a larger sign they wouldn't have to abbreviate the word Dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Private Speech posted:

Swords are illegal here in britain, sorry.

Except for actual antiques anyway.

How low the Empire has fallen....