Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

quote:

A second person has died after drinking Panera's caffeinated "Charged Lemonade" drinks, which contain caffeine levels comparable to strong coffee and are sold in cups as large as 30 fluid ounces that are free to refill.

According to a lawsuit filed by family members Monday, 46-year-old Dennis Brown fell dead on a sidewalk from cardiac arrest while walking home from a Panera in Florida on October 9. Before he left the restaurant, he had ordered a Charged Lemonade and had two refills.

In September, college student Sarah Katz, 21, went into cardiac arrest after drinking a Charged Lemonade from a Panera in Philadelphia. Katz had a heart condition called long QT syndrome type 1 and had avoided energy drinks because of it, according to a lawsuit filed in October by her family.

Like Katz, Brown had also avoided energy drinks because of a health condition, in his case, high blood pressure, his family said in the lawsuit. His cause of death was cardiac arrest due to hypertensive disease. The lawsuit also noted that Brown had a mild intellectual disability, and it's unclear if he was aware of how much caffeine was in the self-serve drink, which sat "side-by-side with all of the store’s non-caffeinated and/or less caffeinated drinks."

Panera Bread has now killed 2 of their patrons that drank too much of their crack lemonades. How many more will fall victim to the lemonade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
People must be sacrificed to the caffeine god unless they decide we displeased them, and they smite us.

The caffeine god unlike most lazy gods will follow through on that.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
LemonAIDS

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's sad

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Panera will be fine, don't worry about it

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Panera will be fine, don't worry about it

They are gonna sell a poo poo ton more crack lemonade now people know how much caffeine is in it. Gonna be the new tiktok trend.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Panera Bread has now killed 2 of their patrons that drank too much of their crack lemonades. How many more will fall victim to the lemonade?

drat are they ok?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

personally I think corporations have a responsibility to protect or at least not outright try to kill their consumers but most corps are headed by people whose bloodline can be traced back to Mammon

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gotta always stay at peak performance in modern day America through adequate caffeination. Nothing you can really do here

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If you don't work hard enough to make the shareholders money, Mr Panera will force you to drink charged lemonade until your heart explodes.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

:lmao:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

personally I think corporations have a responsibility to protect or at least not outright try to kill their consumers but most corps are headed by people whose bloodline can be traced back to Mammon

Free market baby. If you kill enough people they’ll stop purchasing your product so there’s no reason to try to prevent deaths in the first place.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I don't know if Panera really cares one way or the other, but like it's just a caffeinated drink right?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Caffeine makes the heart go jibbity-jibbity

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I saw the signage for these drinks before the first death and although it does list the caffeine it doesn't really give you the context for how much caffeine you'd be ingesting. It just lists the amount which, unless you think to look it up, you probably don't understand. And they're marketed more like a "natural energy" drink, like you're getting your energy from the power of lemons or whatever.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Sounds like they "cracked" under pressure OP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
yo wtf lmao. 390 mg in a 30 oz of this poo poo are you kidding me. thats like the MAX recommended daily amount. thats like 3 or 4 decent cups of coffee. a powerful pre-workout supplement doesnt even have that much. and they're just blasting this poo poo out of a fountain. epic

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hell yeah brother

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

If the lethal dose is about 10g for an adult then it sounds more like they had heart problems.
Not that 400mg is a reasonable amount of caffeine for a 30oz lemonade. But I can see that kind of dose killing lots of people with unknown health issues.
You'd really have to spread that 400mg through a day to not cause so many issues.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Grey Cat posted:

If the lethal dose is about 10g for an adult then it sounds more like they had heart problems.
Not that 400mg is a reasonable amount of caffeine for a 30oz lemonade. But I can see that kind of dose killing lots of people with unknown health issues.
You'd really have to spread that 400mg through a day to not cause so many issues.

10 g may be the lethal dose, but even someone with a healthy heart popping 3x 400 mg tabs over the course of an hour or two will make them feel pretty unpleasant lol. thats like 20 shots of espresso

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I heard if you inject it into your eyeballs you can see through time

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

10 g may be the lethal dose, but even someone with a healthy heart popping 3x 400 mg tabs over the course of an hour or two will make them feel pretty unpleasant lol. thats like 20 shots of espresso

For sure, I remember drinking one of those big redline drinks when I was in maybe my early 20s which had apparently 316 milligrams of caffeine and I thought I was going to die for hours.
All I thought was going to happen was I'd vomit and my heart would stop.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
guess injured consumers don't care about the impact of attorney's fees on shareholder value any more :(

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grey Cat posted:

Problem is that caffeine sensitivity varies wildly between people due to genetic factors and also build up tolerance. 400mg might be barely noticeable to some but blow your mind and heart out and send you to the ER with a panic or heart attack for others.

People with high caffeine sensitivity know what they are getting into with a cup of coffee or an energy drink, but you wouldn't expect that from a lemonade. Like, I have very high genetic caffeine sensitivity and 400 mg is a scary amount and very much into bad trip panic attack territory. Sleeping for the next 24h would also be out of the question. gently caress these people.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

GABA ghoul posted:

Problem is that caffeine sensitivity varies wildly between people due to genetic factors and also build up tolerance. 400mg might be barely noticeable to some but blow your mind and heart out and send you to the ER with a panic or heart attack for others.

People with high caffeine sensitivity know what they are getting into with a cup of coffee or an energy drink, but you wouldn't expect that from a lemonade. Like, I have very high genetic caffeine sensitivity and 400 mg is a scary amount and very much into bad trip panic attack territory. Sleeping for the next 24h would also be out of the question. gently caress these people.

For sure, I definitely felt like I was having a bad trip at 300mg. I definitely don't enjoy having more than maybe 120mg at a time.
I have a decent tolerance at low levels of caffeine just because I take excederin so often. So I don't even notice anything at those doses. But anything more than a couple tabs of that is miserable.
I'll stick to a soda or coffee here and there, no death lemonade for me.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Not gonna lie, hearing that the lemonade is killing people only makes me want to try it more

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’d rather drink the murderade than eat their lovely food haha gottem

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ciabatta is Satan's bread

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i had to look up how much 30 fluid ounces is in a normal measuring system and lmao it's almost a fuckin litre

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFNibpmB4wI

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

pathetic if you can’t drink 30 oz if crack water and not die

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Camaro Bread

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

20 Blunts posted:

Camaro Bread

Caro Bread

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

extra big rear end lemonade

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Taking a blood pressure monitor into Panera, trying to get a kickback from the manager as I drink more and more charged lemonade

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
cosmically disappointing to have eating at panera be your last experience

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i had to look up how much 30 fluid ounces is in a normal measuring system and lmao it's almost a fuckin litre

Part of American culture right now is drinking a lot of varied beverages. You need at least one coffee, one energy drink, and one giant mug of water that you've added a shitload of sugar and artificial flavorings to. Don't worry, though, it's water, not soda!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

They should have just tried doing cocaine

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

there were urban rumors when i was a kid that drinking too much afri cola would caffeinate you to death. always assumed it was bullshit, but drat ... i guess all urban rumors are true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look I think the main problem here is they put the methonade right next to the ice tea with all the opiates in it.