Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Been thinkin hard lately about American culture. I'm trying to be more fabulous and poo poo, putting my outfits together and looking like a well groomed happy beardo.

Figure I'm going to start making / modifying my own clothes. Kind of like a bohemian punk. I found this sweet af poncho from ecualama.com . Recommend checking them out.

So that Keffiyeh thread got me thinking about American culture. Like.. What is American culture?

Colonization, sure. Pilgrims and poo poo. Okay, so that's kind of cultural touchstone I remember from my youth, though at the time I was more into toys and cartoons and video games. I think when I was really little I was more into inventions and craft. Lego was my poo poo. I made the things but loved inventing and creating my own things.

Expansion. Pioneering. Settling. "Manifest Destiny". They taught about that in school. So that's like wagon trains, that kind of thing. I'm from west of the west, so in elementary school we focused a lot on Louis and Clark and the wagon trains. Pretty evil poo poo we taught ourselves was good and admirable.

Resource over extraction. The Dust bowl. Destroying the environment itself for just a few more kernels of grain in a crop. The elimination and consolidation of small settler families which at that point may as well have always been there since the new testament.

Hawaii you're a state now, by the way. I digress.

So what is American culture?

We ran out of places to conquer and settle. Rather, we made it more efficient, using spreadsheets and capital control. A more gentle genocide except for when you have a Korea, Vietnam, others that are as important but not things really taught to kids, but all that was probably just on a spreadsheet too.

I grow up and things become cringe. We cycle wildly between cultural movements. Laws used to find new culture and stomp them out, because a good culture has some kind of element of how to organize a society. Can't have that.

So now I guess I can only be a cultural settler. But I try my best to be respectful, trying to find my own self, something that is uniquely me but isn't 'cringe'.

American culture is genocide, to the point where we genocide our own cultural movements so money can be made with new ones.

This is a good Soviet propaganda cartoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRSsybt9wAo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

burger

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gentrification is the ritual that Americans need to do to feel like early settlers again. Lying and cheating to the population that already lives there, using the cops as foot soldiers to get them forcibly out, putting their structures/symbols in place which embody whiteness and upper middle class, like Starbucks or Whole Foods, instead of a Protestant Church.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Brands

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Look at our escapist media fantasies. Super hero movies, top gun, Avatar

We yearn for the return of the unambiguous bad guy. We need problems that can be solved by the good guy (us) punching the bad guy in the teeth.
I don't think this is an accident. The MIC funds the poo poo out of our media and it's in their best interest that we jump at every shadow and that that shadow have a human face that waves a different flag than ours, even though the global box office now demands that the bad guy be from some invented eastern European country rather than Russia now.

Which is funny when you think that our other greatest creative movement (American romanticism) was explicitly about man overcoming nature rather than fellow man, which would be a far more fitting cultural narrative given how thoroughly we've hosed the world and should be focused on "conquering" those problems.

But that is to say I think our culture is explosions and black and white morality tales, echoes of either (winning) WW2 or the 1980s as the unattainable highwater marks of our society

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Look at our escapist media fantasies. Super hero movies, top gun, Avatar

We yearn for the return of the unambiguous bad guy. We need problems that can be solved by the good guy (us) punching the bad guy in the teeth.
I don't think this is an accident. The MIC funds the poo poo out of our media and it's in their best interest that we jump at every shadow and that that shadow have a human face that waves a different flag than ours, even though the global box office now demands that the bad guy be from some invented eastern European country rather than Russia now.

Which is funny when you think that our other greatest creative movement (American romanticism) was explicitly about man overcoming nature rather than fellow man, which would be a far more fitting cultural narrative given how thoroughly we've hosed the world and should be focused on "conquering" those problems.

But that is to say I think our culture is explosions and black and white morality tales, echoes of either (winning) WW2 or the 1980s as the unattainable highwater marks of our society

return? we never went away

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
rap, the greatest genre of music in all of history

tbqh any of the cool parts of american culture have come from either black people or immigrants

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

we love death and plastic, op

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
even if someone has bad taste and doesn’t like rap, the story of marginalised people finding discarded drum machines in the dumpsters behind recording studios and using those, some old records, and their own voices to create a genre of music that has taken over the world with no signs of ever slowing down is one of the most inspirational stories in the history of art

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Your culture is the culmination of all of your favorite brands, which manifests as something called an "aesthetic"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It doesn't exist beyond a conduit to make money, it isn't that there is actual culture inside America's borders but it is pretty much instantly co-opted and exploited as quickly as possible. It isn't a profound statement, it is just how America works.

The state of New York in 2023 is kind of interesting. It is a city that exists more in the past than the future, it isn't that culture doesn't exist there (usually immigrant culture) but the brutality of neoliberalism is slowly but surely making life impossible. The rent crisis in New York is pretty unreal and it is unclear how culture can exist in a place that squeezes everything out of the humans that live there.

Capitalism isn't new but present-day New York seems to be pushing the edge of what is possible.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the something awful forums

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
the only actual culture america has was made by jews and black people until the neoliberal era when the market finally figured out how to eat that too. everything else is just the half-remembered traditions of german drunks and imperial propaganda

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

the only actual culture america has was made by jews and black people until the neoliberal era when the market finally figured out how to eat that too. everything else is just the half-remembered traditions of german drunks and imperial propaganda
all these

but also the burger is the symbol of America god bless

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I think putting something on a t-shirt is an american value

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

if your political movement doesn't have a slogan that can be expressed as a good shirt you're pretty much hosed (you're hosed no matter what)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

the american cultural cycle is:

a marginalized group expresses their identity in a novel way, the mainstream expresses moral panic at this expression until they find a way to monetize it, it becomes "American culture" and no longer belongs to the group who invented it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

a marginalized group expresses their identity in a novel way, the mainstream expresses moral panic at this expression until they find a way to monetize it, it becomes "American culture" and no longer belongs to the group who invented it

so a slight variation on "first as a tragedy, then as a farce" in "first as a tragedy, then as a product"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

blue jeans and a white t shirt

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Plank Walker posted:

You can straight up illegalize it, too. Copyright exists to choke culture, as well. The genocide of fledgling culture.

Sampling is a form of cultural expression that was destroyed by copyright. We aren't even allowed to harness culture deemed worthy by our own brands. Exceptions, of course, but you're in a legal gray area (aka, unenforced copyright) if you make money off it. The genocide culture will seek you eventually.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

ELTON JOHN posted:

tbqh any of the cool parts of american culture have come from either black people or immigrants

rap, jazz, funk, soul, r&b, gospel, rock n roll

house music also comes from black ppl in underground gay dance clubs in Chicago warehouses (that's y it's called house music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyMyKOq5EfY

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

ELTON JOHN posted:

even if someone has bad taste and doesn’t like rap, the story of marginalised people finding discarded drum machines in the dumpsters behind recording studios and using those, some old records, and their own voices to create a genre of music that has taken over the world with no signs of ever slowing down is one of the most inspirational stories in the history of art

imo hip hop is a direct continuation of the oldest natural form of music, recordkeeping and storytelling and the core concepts within predate manmade instruments. or written language

in order to alter or mess up a portion, it has to fit the rhyme scheme, rhythm -and- context, allowing information to be preserved and shared more reliably pre-writing

think about how you learn and remember the alphabet, f. ex.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

ProfessorBooty posted:

Been thinkin hard lately about American culture. I'm trying to be more fabulous and poo poo, putting my outfits together and looking like a well groomed happy beardo.

Figure I'm going to start making / modifying my own clothes. Kind of like a bohemian punk. I found this sweet af poncho from ecualama.com . Recommend checking them out.

So that Keffiyeh thread got me thinking about American culture. Like.. What is American culture?

Colonization, sure. Pilgrims and poo poo. Okay, so that's kind of cultural touchstone I remember from my youth, though at the time I was more into toys and cartoons and video games. I think when I was really little I was more into inventions and craft. Lego was my poo poo. I made the things but loved inventing and creating my own things.

Expansion. Pioneering. Settling. "Manifest Destiny". They taught about that in school. So that's like wagon trains, that kind of thing. I'm from west of the west, so in elementary school we focused a lot on Louis and Clark and the wagon trains. Pretty evil poo poo we taught ourselves was good and admirable.

Resource over extraction. The Dust bowl. Destroying the environment itself for just a few more kernels of grain in a crop. The elimination and consolidation of small settler families which at that point may as well have always been there since the new testament.

Hawaii you're a state now, by the way. I digress.

So what is American culture?

We ran out of places to conquer and settle. Rather, we made it more efficient, using spreadsheets and capital control. A more gentle genocide except for when you have a Korea, Vietnam, others that are as important but not things really taught to kids, but all that was probably just on a spreadsheet too.

I grow up and things become cringe. We cycle wildly between cultural movements. Laws used to find new culture and stomp them out, because a good culture has some kind of element of how to organize a society. Can't have that.

So now I guess I can only be a cultural settler. But I try my best to be respectful, trying to find my own self, something that is uniquely me but isn't 'cringe'.

American culture is genocide, to the point where we genocide our own cultural movements so money can be made with new ones.

This is a good Soviet propaganda cartoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRSsybt9wAo

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

u should go to the rodeo sometime op

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
We invented skyscrapers, which people have mixed feelings about.

Excited to read everyone's thoughts on skyscrapers

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wallace stevens...
teju cole...

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Badactura posted:

We invented skyscrapers, which people have mixed feelings about.

Excited to read everyone's thoughts on skyscrapers

ahem!

quote:

Between the 12th and the 13th century, Bologna was a city full of towers. Almost all the towers were tall (the highest being 97 metres (318.2 ft)), defensive stone towers

clean ayers act has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Dec 13, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

what's another word for pirate treasure

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

ArmedZombie posted:

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

ArmedZombie posted:

loot

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ProfessorBooty posted:

We cycle wildly between cultural movements.

I don't think this is really true, most of the essentials of these movements are virtually identical.
I think America has a strong and vibrant culture that Americans often fail to see because they are so entrenched in it. Sure it sucks poo poo, but it exists.

ELTON JOHN posted:

Some cool parts of american culture not from immigrants are popcorn and non-habitual tobacco use

FirstnameLastname posted:

the oldest natural form of music,

nobody knows what that is dummy

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
it's whistling cowboy tunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos