Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Ohtori Akio posted:

i mean western musics pretty much converged on 4/4 unless youre pointedly trying to be novel or youre writing a waltz for a specific reason. "yeah i think people are gonna want to dance to this" -> 4/4 brother. hiphop is a 4/4 genre because the stuff it got assembled out of is already 4/4, without that musical connective tissue theres no reason it would be because its just rhythmic recitation

im not talking about 4/4 4/4 is just a popular time signature for a bunch of reasons
im saying the modern structure of all popular music that hiphop and pop and everything else (rock. subgenres, country. jazz, etc) all ultimately draw their foundations from isn't a western one
the harmony and tuning is western, the stringed & woodwind instruments, but the rest isn't really

modern music altogether doesn't have much of a direct link to classical art music, doesn't have much but some to other popular folk music, bluegrass w/e bit there's no baroque or polka or irish or hungarian folk influence in popular music very little church influence - except filtered through gospel, soul, r&b

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 07:26 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
listen to a child ballad and tell me that didnt make its way into the blues. its a fundamental mistake to characterize the blues as a non western musical idiom when it is clearly a product of multiple influences including european ones, because the environment the blues were created in had those influences. i mean, unless you are going define the prewar african-american experience as Non Western which seems completely off base to me.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

listen to a child ballad and tell me that didnt make its way into the blues. its a fundamental mistake to characterize the blues as a non western musical idiom when it is clearly a product of multiple influences including european ones, because the environment the blues were created in had those influences. i mean, unless you are going define the prewar african-american experience as Non Western which seems completely off base to me.
i can't think of much lullaby influence, like, i can think of commonalities but nothing that's unique to lullabies or would've come directly from them to blues music, i doubt ppl like robert johnson heard many of the popular ones

the pre war african american musical influences were church compositions, and themselves pretty much. black people weren't getting to go see orchestral stuff anywhere in tht country pre ww2. the only time they'd see professional musicians is by being one, or going to see black musicians, maybe be lucky and get a record player

it's a hybrid of western and non-western influences but the parts that make it matter from a music development perspective are the non-western ones
the blue note, blues scale altogether with a variable third that's bent between a major and minor third/implied by playing both keys, the use of non-functional I7, IV7, V7 chords, the 12, 16 & 32 bar blues structure itself, the traditional subject matter being practical accounts of real things, set in the first person from the performer, the improvisational styles, all have links going back to griot practices

like that's connected to why classical music died and is dead

it has no really tangible link to any active, popular area of music nowadays because it's legit almost all from musical styles & conventions that trace back to africa & not europe except for 12-TET tuning, the church modes, people's familiarity to western harmonic practices like functional diatonic harmony based on the major scale

modern music doesn't even use standard musical notation anymore unless someone transcribes something intentionally lol
functional harmony is dead as a thing except in a civil war reenactment way
the last big development there, as in all western art music, was like idk, 12 tone serialism lol wamna hear some cracker poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQHR_Z8XVvI and like, john cage, xenakis stuff? then its just been jacking itself off ever since

e: by european art music i mean euroean+american 4 clarity

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Dec 15, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the child ballads arent lullabies theyre a record of songs regular rear end people sang in many different contexts, often small but formal performances. that anglo lowbrow art music context got shipped to america and coexisted with the antebellum african american experience, along with as you say church music and west african music.

like yeah man, the cool parts are african, but that is a fundamentally different assertion from the unsupportable one that contemporary popular music is primarily nonwestern in character. the european musical tradition is as much songs about willy the man who died trying to hook up with his gf, as it is beethoven. and that lowbrow musical tradition, along with church harmony, would have been actively influential on people making up work songs so the days go quicker, or blues ballads about how much life sucks. a blues song has a TON of common form and purpose with some of those english ballads, it's an artistic way to bitch about the recurring bad things in life, using repetitive structure and chords so you can remember the words and not gently caress up the harmony.

to address a separate point, elaborate art music functional harmony that is jacking itself off yes ended up with guys like schoenberg but that was always a relatively niche part of the european musical tradition. it is a misstatement to describe the contemporary coexistence of functional harmony with nonfunctional or unharmonized music, as functional harmony being civil war reenactment. people use it all the time just in the simple way that has worked for centuries unaffected by trends in rich people symphony orchestra music.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol fnln did you think that child ballads were rock-a-bye-baby lullabies??

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
https://files.catbox.moe/85ef4g.mp4

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i dont really have anything to add to a good argument itt though, but one thing i'd mention in contemporary western sense is the role of capitalism through the dissemination and reproduction (or dampening) of music as it relates to profitability -- which is also now global. it's cybernetics also apply culturally. i think some convergence can be attributed toward particular affinity in that way (particularly repeatability, energy, 'catchy', etc). this has even spread globally where even like more traditional eastern europe or asian is different, but their pop music is basically western these days

also bardcore pwns https://www.youtube.com/@the_miracle_aligner/videos

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
much like west africa, the autism thread has unmistakable cultural exports

Dec 15, 2023
American Culture: A Historical Topic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

it is non-western in form and structure, you can trace early pop music straight to blues, but not to anglo folk music in the same way
like there's similarities between european folk music but there's not the transference of direct influence from it into a current thing
blues harmony has nothing in common with western harmony except the IV-V-I motion, it's completely its own thing with different rules that aren't like european folk music or ballads at all either it's not like any western music harmonically. it has similarities and things in common to other folk genres but there's not anywhere near the same direct transfer of style & practices that there is from blues to rock, soul, r&b, pop, w/e like you can see that in bluegrass and rockabilly stuff mostly but not much else

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Xaris posted:

what

Ohtori Akio posted:

lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
address the elephant in the room bitch......you thought willie o winsbury was a nighty night song

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

it is+ it makes you safe if u hear the whole thing :colbert:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i do feel very safe when the king admits willie o winsbury is very sexy and gives him a bunch of money + his blessing to marry jane, but no responsibility

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

FirstnameLastname posted:

it is non-western in form and structure, you can trace early pop music straight to blues, but not to anglo folk music in the same way
like there's similarities between european folk music but there's not the transference of direct influence from it into a current thing
blues harmony has nothing in common with western harmony except the IV-V-I motion, it's completely its own thing with different rules that aren't like european folk music or ballads at all either it's not like any western music harmonically. it has similarities and things in common to other folk genres but there's not anywhere near the same direct transfer of style & practices that there is from blues to rock, soul, r&b, pop, w/e like you can see that in bluegrass and rockabilly stuff mostly but not much else

im going to get into it again. pre-rock pop has more to do with showtunes and jazz than directly with the blues and both showtunes and (period) jazz are DEEPLY marinated in functional harmony with strong ties to european art music. rock and roll, in the 1950s so SUPER late, is when pop becomes obviously bluesy

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

im going to get into it again. pre-rock pop has more to do with showtunes and jazz than directly with the blues and both showtunes and (period) jazz are DEEPLY marinated in functional harmony with strong ties to european art music. rock and roll, in the 1950s so SUPER late, is when pop becomes obviously bluesy

you just said im right???

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i didnt

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you said in the post "you can trace early pop directly to blues" but you cannot because its primarily from the european art and folk traditions at that point

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
stupid human being

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

you said in the post "you can trace early pop directly to blues" but you cannot because its primarily from the european art and folk traditions at that point
pop didn't start til the 50s cant have pop w/o radio

as seen:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

pop didn't start til the 50s cant have pop w/o radio

as seen:
perhaps im being fishmechian trolled but no. you can't have pop without a mechanical reproduction in a walter benjamin-sense, and means of mechanical reproduction existed before the 50s. heck, overwhelming majority had radio in the 30s, and even before that it wasn't the only way.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Gat dang and I thought I was bad.

Alright fuckos that's enough. Thanks for the cool insights everyone c:

Edit >:c. Very well

ProfessorBooty has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Dec 15, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
good morning

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

pop music didn't exist until they had enough radio stations to play different things on all of them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
thinkin' about those diet cokes n 4/4 burgers

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

ProfessorBooty posted:

Gat dang and I thought I was bad.

Alright fuckos that's enough. Thanks for the cool insights everyone c:

Edit >:c. Very well

i still think the first response you got was the most accurate one

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

babies naturally sing pentatonic (5-tone) scales around the world
its a series of perfect fifths on the circle of fifths,
perfect fifths are 3:2 intervals, this is also the rhythmic timing interval for one of the simplest syncopated polyrhythms, the hemiola
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCSZ9SyBm_8

tempo almost always falls within about 60-180 bpm which is about the range of human heart generally between 80-120 which is roughly walking pace
the simplest rhythmic interval for a repeating piece of music is 2
the next is 3
3 is awkward to walk to at a steady pace
4 is not

your hands can still do something as you step
You have a voice

people likely didn't invent instruments before inventing music
people probably used their voices in music, since babies sing things

so the earliest music probably involved vocal and percussive elements, in simple (2,4) metric divisions with pentatonic melodic structure, or droning ( or atonal/fixed pitch/chanted etc) vocal portions and then more complex syncopated percussion (i.e. hemiola) delivered by foot stomps. hand claps, vocal noises etc over metric divisions of 2 or 4 pulses while walking, later adding more complicated syncopated subdivisions to dance to, then basing things only on those subdivisions etc.

by then you would probably get words if you don't already, but they're gonna be before any instruments, probably before rhythmic complexity past 2

people remember rhymed things easier, people chunk information better if it's rhymed, if it fits u must acquit

people didn't invent music after writing
people would've found a lot of utility in storing information orally before developing writing in particular

like there's some wiggle room but all of the core concepts in hiphop, not like recorded hiphop but the concept of rhythmic, rhyming vocals, syncopation, percussion, are all going to be either in one of the first few musical developments or maaaaaybe first like, 4 or 5 no matter where you are all around the world, there's only so many ways for things to rly start, it can go wherever after that but people aren't gonna start off with any kinda harmonization or ultra-complicated tonal or rhythmic stuff or complex or big instrumental things

I have really enjoyed your rant about the west African origins of hip hop but saying that is a direct continuation of the oldest natural form of music reminds me of nothing so much as those dudes who study an "uncontacted" hunter gatherer tribe in the Amazon whose ancestors were agriculturalists and use that to draw conclusions about societies in the paleolithic.

Xaris posted:

they should call them childe ballads so you know they are old timey

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

she's right. time for a cspam field trip

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

chain restaurants are pay to play reeducation camps

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

chain restaurants are pay to play reeducation camps

Deep

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i also like peanuts

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

cash crab posted:

i also like peanuts

they slap pretty hard. it's extra cool when the shells are salted too

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
we have lots of cultures :)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

I also don't know the key to happiness but maybe fnln can tell us? perhaps it is found in west african traditional music?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

cash crab posted:

i also like peanuts!

Fixed it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

2 tubs of butter for 4 or 5 biscuits lmao god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

2 tubs of butter for 4 or 5 biscuits lmao god drat

It's whipped so there's a lot of air