Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's right Josh I stole your joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zacks movie getting a low score from the same people that gave Thor 4 and Antman 3 glowing reviews is the definition of this

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MacheteZombie posted:

That's right Josh I stole your joke

Joke?!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

didn't these negative reviewers see that he made a special lens for this movie? does that mean nothing to these people?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

robot roll call posted:

didn't these negative reviewers see that he made a special lens for this movie? does that mean nothing to these people?

There's a Red Letter Media thread in GBS you will be more at home posting in.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lol

https://x.com/DesertedScope/status/1735611017319559189?s=20

Women, with accents? In MY Sci fi?!

Outrageous!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
So, like, every American sci-fi movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

McCloud posted:

lol

https://x.com/DesertedScope/status/1735611017319559189?s=20

Women, with accents? In MY Sci fi?!

Outrageous!

First off, Star Wars Imperial officers being British and all that. But also, Americans do have an accent, Hollywood Reporter.

They're really trying to find any reason to criticize Snyder. Shocking, I know.

Also, I would like to find that original tweet from that first image, describing an incredible movie but giving it a 3/10. I'm curious about the comments.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/Darren_Mooney/status/1735718219644563599?s=20

I knew Zack wouldn't let me down

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

josh04 posted:

A spectre is haunting cinema— the spectre of Snyder. All the powers of old Twitter have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: critic and blogger, Letterboxd user and IMDB nerd, MCU radicals and animation police-spies.

Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as a Snyder-esque bot army by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of 'DC fan', against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?

Two things result from this fact:

I. Snyder's army is already acknowledged by all online powers to be itself a power.

II. It is high time that Snyder fans should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the Spectre of Snyder with a manifesto of the fandom itself.

To this end, Snyder fans of various nationalities have assembled in London and sketched the following manifesto, to be published in gyms in the English, French, German, Italian, Flemish and Danish languages.

:bisonyes:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

All the Snyder haters seethe posting the RT score as like a means of confirmation bias or whatever, that sad poo poo gives me energy actually :getin:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Biggest take away from that review thread is that the longer, envisioned cut is the way to watch the film.

I dunno why they keep telling the guy who wants to make long epics and designs everything around that to make shorter films. Just let the man cook.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When is the director's cut being released, anyway? Looks like the holidays will be busy so if it's not too far away I might just wait for it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

:frogon:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I got this tiny bit spoiled for me, without context
Octopussy

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

All the Snyder haters seethe posting the RT score as like a means of confirmation bias or whatever, that sad poo poo gives me energy actually :getin:

At this point, you kinda know what you get with Snyder, and a high RT score is not part of the package deal

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McCloud posted:

Zacks movie getting a low score from the same people that gave Thor 4 and Antman 3 glowing reviews is the definition of this

correct: Zack's movie is the definition of Rick and Morty

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

teagone posted:

The confirmation is more-so the guy who described it as "The cinematic equivalent of an NFT"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

McCloud posted:

I got this tiny bit spoiled for me, without context
Octopussy

Bahahaha holy poo poo this is gonna be a Christmas miracle :allears:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The confirmation is more-so the guy who described it as "The cinematic equivalent of an NFT"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This was for the Oscars where they didn't give Bosman a posthumous award but did profit off his likeness with that NFT, right?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Lol, I mean if they could have rigged it they would have.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McCloud posted:

This was for the Oscars where they didn't give Bosman a posthumous award but did profit off his likeness with that NFT, right?

From what I remember, that 3D model of Boseman was also a stock pre-rendered CG asset purchased for super cheap and not created specifically for the Oscars.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One thing that is explicitly fascinating to me as I read stuff on the internet today is how somehow it's become just totally normal to see fans of this particular director to be obsessive/pathetic/toxic while people who actively dislike him are seen as the more level headed and sane bunch? And by "active" I mean literally people putting in effort today to post a lot about a movie they have no interest in other than hoping it fails.

Like it makes sense for the fans of someone's movie to post a ton on a day when the movie is released and reviews are coming out, it's obviously also understandable if people who have seen an early screening and thought it sucked to post, or reviewers etc. It seems somewhat bizarre that there is an absolute flood of people delighting in the movie doing poorly, telling fans to "cope" and just generally memeing it up. I'm sure the obvious retort is that "the toxic Snyder fans brought it upon themselves by being so obnoxious" but I think there is a chicken/egg question of which of these phenomenon truly got out of control first.

To use a comparison, I have absolutely no opinion on the Fast and Furious franchise, I cannot for the life of me imagine a scenario where I would go on twitter/reddit/wherever to mock and taunt people if the latest movie got bad reviews. If I truly hated the previous movies (I am mostly just ambivalent to the ones I've seen) I would see not giving any thought to them as a moral victory, I can't picture an entertainment property that wasn't actively vile inspiring this type of effort from me (like we are talking a version of South Park done by Prager U to directly radicalize teenagers into being nazis or something)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

honestly my main frustration with this whole thing is that it feels like Netflix is trying to artificially recreate the Snydercut hype... if I know right from the start that there's a "real" cut it kinda takes the wind out of the sails and I'm significantly less hyped about the first release.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I saw the film this afternoon at the Prince Charles Cinema on a 70mm print. I'm not exactly a Zach Snyder fan, but I was in town and I'm not going to pass up the chance to see the first showing of a brand new film print.

However, the film was not very good. It really does seem like a Star Wars story with the numbers filed off but with added threat of gang rape by occupying soldiers - from (and getting into lots of spoilers here the opening narration from Anthony Hopkins, which stands in for the opening text crawl, and the explanation of a galaxy made up of 1000(?) kings until the not-Galactic Senate was overthrown by a not-Emperor Palpatine (though other kings still seem to rule their own planets?).

Anyway the hero of our story appears to be living in a Scandinavian dwarven village until the military drops onto their planet looking for some rebels - this planet, the Rebel Moon, appears to consist of a village of 40 people, and a slightly larger town which has a space port with a single landing pad. I'm not quite sure why the military needed too demand their grain for food - they've got intergalactic ships which travel through, uhh, very yonic shaped wormholes, but don't have any facilities for growing their own rations?

Also there's a military priest class who maybe have the power of resurrection??

After our two leads escape 30 minutes in it's just a series of getting the gang together scenes, with them flying to a series of themed planets (the southern slave holder/farmer planet where they free a Dothraki prince, the gladiator coliseum planet, the ice planet (with added squid king), the secret smuggling outpost planet, and the cyberpunk planet with sexy humanoid spider queens with tiddies defeated by a woman in a very stupid hat).

And then the evil military general (who I spent the whole movie thinking was Nicholas Hoult) shows up, and his ship, which only has one gun, gets easily defeated by a guy leaping onto the gunner's position and stabbing him with a spear. And then they return to the Rebel Moon and the film ends.

Also Anthony Hopkins voices a former King's Guard android who swore off violence following the king's assassination, but there's a bit where he runs off after firing a weapon and killing someone for the first time in decades(?) and it just looked like how Scotty Evil runs.

Anyway there were some cool aliens who looked like they were actually puppeteered, but there was also some lovely backdrops that somehow managed to look like miniatures with the people superimposed.

edit: oh yeah, and there was a guy sat behind me who clapped and cheered at the bits where a bad guy gets defeated etc and tried to get people to clap and cheer at the end of the film and at the end of the credits but yeah it wasn't happening mate

Carpet fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 15, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

why can't people spell Zack right :qq:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My vested interest in the movie is insofar as it's a star war. Nominally, I'm bound to see it for that reason.

But they're pretty much doing everything in their power to persuade me not to care about it at this point with the "finished cut will come out, uh, sometime later" thing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Carpet posted:

edit: oh yeah, and there was a guy sat behind me who clapped and cheered at the bits where a bad guy gets defeated etc and tried to get people to clap and cheer at the end of the film and at the end of the credits but yeah it wasn't happening mate

Maybe they were just having a good time?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Saw this today, and while I enjoyed it, it’s hard to recommend that anyone see this version before the directors cut comes out because it’s is extremely obviously cut to pieces to hit the PG13 rating and 2 hour run time.

minor spoilers: The most glaring issues from the shorter run time and rating show up almost immediately. The first big fight of the movie FEELs like i should be watching something incredibly violent but has these incredibly jarring cuts at the very last moment of every kill presumably because 1 or 2 seconds longer shows the actual result of what Kora is doing to people.

Narratively the runtime gives the characters 0 room to breathe or really do anything. The cast is just racing from planet to planet immediately picking up a new crew member who if we’re lucky gets maybe a fight scene and 3 lines of dialogue. interaction between the crew that isn’t the lead giving an exposition dump is virtually non-existent.

I have 0 clue why they didn’t just release the full cut right off the bat. This feels like a worse hack job than theatrical BVS but I had way more fun with that at least because it felt like Bruce Wayne’s Very Scary Knightmare.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

I have 0 clue why they didn’t just release the full cut right off the bat. This feels like a worse hack job than theatrical BVS but I had way more fun with that at least because it felt like Bruce Wayne’s Very Scary Knightmare.

I guess they want to give the PG13 version as good of a shot as possible by not having the R rated cut cannibalize it, and have as many people double dip as possible for the numbers? I assume that would also be why they won't say when the real cut will come out?

The whole situation seems very dumb in a very netflix way. The winning move is not to play

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Martman posted:

honestly my main frustration with this whole thing is that it feels like Netflix is trying to artificially recreate the Snydercut hype... if I know right from the start that there's a "real" cut it kinda takes the wind out of the sails and I'm significantly less hyped about the first release.

yea it'd be one thing if they actually gave it a proper theatrical run instead of limited showings in a few select cities. that'd make sense! but they aren't so I'm just gonna wait for the version snyder wants people to watch.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Weird to me that they didn’t want the r rated cut to begin with. Netflix has plenty of such material on it. I dunno, did their past r rated films not do well?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah I feel comfortable waiting for the DC so as not to encourage that kind of bullshit. I don't really care about reviews and loathe Rotten Tomato but I don't have time for Netflix's games.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

checkplease posted:

Weird to me that they didn’t want the r rated cut to begin with. Netflix has plenty of such material on it. I dunno, did their past r rated films not do well?

It's less about it being r-rated and more that Netflix thinks most people won't watch a movie that's 3 hours or longer.

It's a very silly notion because this year we had Killers of the Flower Moon which proves otherwise. Not to mention tons of people will binge tv shows for 3 hours or even longer!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That's an even dumber reason than I thought given the context of zack "the 4 hour zack snyder cut, by zack snyder" snyder

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Ghosthotel posted:

Saw this today, and while I enjoyed it, it’s hard to recommend that anyone see this version before the directors cut comes out because it’s is extremely obviously cut to pieces to hit the PG13 rating and 2 hour run time.

Yeah I forgot about that part: despite coming straight after a violent threat of rape, including terrified screaming from the young female victim, the bad guys getting their heads blown off just have a little red circle on their forehead or chests (same for the following fights and shootouts). It's hardly being shown in any cinemas so why wouldn't you go for the R rated violence? I believe it's still rated 15 in the UK anyway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

That's an even dumber reason than I thought given the context of zack "the 4 hour zack snyder cut, by zack snyder" snyder

yea it really is. I am trying to dig it up but can't find it, but earlier in the year there was an interview with snyder where he pretty much said that netflix generally doesn't want movies that are over 2 hours so having two versions was the compromise he was given.

I'm glad that he's actually able to put out his own cut but it sure is silly.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Going back to the trailers that got released too it’s obvious that quite a bit of content that seemed to be backstory for several crew members was just left out of this cut entirely so the movie has these incredibly awkward sections where they just show up on a planet for 5 minutes and go “hey wanna join this suicide resistance mission?” “ok”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

But similar to the breakneck pacing of The Creator, I don't really see how that's a problem. Sometimes there's just a cool dude about who's totally up for it.