Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I love how the main gun on the dreadnaught, i.e., the command ship for the head badguy and symbol of imperial power, does not have full range of motion, takes like half an hour to power up a single shot, can't compensate for air turbulence, and does almost enough damage to put a dent in a small pre-industrial hamlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

A world destroyer!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MacheteZombie posted:

I got u teagone

Thank you sir.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

I think the dialog was bad too. I really shouldn't have watched dune before this.

I did enjoy Villeneuve's Dune films more than the Netflix Rebel Moon cuts. Dune Part 2 especially, that's a fuckin' movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nitpicking the logic of the technology of a fantasy sci-fi universe is some real loser stuff. That same ship also had coal-fired furnaces below the naked lady Giger-like statue with a bunch of techno lights coming out of it. That's just how the tech is. Like we get it, you don't like the film. Just say say that, you don't need to be a weirdo about it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Nitpicking the logic of the technology of a fantasy sci-fi universe is some real loser stuff. That same ship also had coal-fired furnaces below the naked lady Giger-like statue with a bunch of techno lights coming out of it. That's just how the tech is. Like we get it, you don't like the film. Just say say that, you don't need to be a weirdo about it.

didn't it blow up a city in part 1? that's just what we saw. narratively, it destroyed a world; characters similarly called it a 'world destroyer'.

the technology doesn't need to make sense but it should at least be vaguely consistent in its presentation. it is actually important for the narrative for it to do so, as characters motivations and reactions to events (and thus their characterization) makes little sense whatsoever if their context is unmoored and infinitely mutable. the inevitable end result is that characters and events stop having consistency beyond the length of individual scenes, which is a problem that plagues modern action films.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 20, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

didn't it blow up a city in part 1? that's just what we saw. narratively, it destroyed a world; characters similarly called it a 'world destroyer'.

the technology doesn't need to make sense but it should at least be vaguely consistent in its presentation. it is actually important for the narrative for it to do so, as characters motivations and reactions to events (and thus their characterization) makes little sense whatsoever if their context is unmoored and infinitely mutable. the inevitable end result is that characters and events stop having consistency beyond the length of individual scenes, which is a problem that plagues modern action films.

It gets blown up while shooting and the shot whiffs, what on earth are you talking about.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

josh04 posted:

Oh, it's Ecco the Dolphin.

ty

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It must be pretty embarrassing to shoot at a planet and miss

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

It must be pretty embarrassing to shoot at a planet and miss

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Have you had your daily dose of grain?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

help help I don't understand this film made up largely of explosions

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The grain is chemically unstable and forms natural explosive compounds.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Buttchocks posted:

The grain is chemically unstable and forms natural explosive compounds.

art imitates life

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This movie was a gently caress. I got half of one second in before my eyes poo poo blood at the screen with such force that it shattered into a million pieces. Hack Snyder owes me new eyes and a flat screen and 5 liters of blood.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

almost as neat as wheat!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Guy A. Person posted:

This movie was a gently caress. I got half of one second in before my eyes poo poo blood at the screen with such force that it shattered into a million pieces. Hack Snyder owes me new eyes and a flat screen and 5 liters of blood.

Do you accept payment in unprocessed grain?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

wyoming posted:

almost as neat as wheat!

But the king has a change of heart, and so he let his daughter, the messiah, to name "pacifier" this new ship POWERED BY THE STOLEN POWERS OF AN ENSLAVED BIOMECHANICAL GODDESS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

I think I read an ad for this Genesis game in EGM

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

checkplease posted:

Do you accept payment in unprocessed grain?

I can’t read what this says with my destroyed eyes but sure

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

ungulateman posted:

art imitates life

I appreciate you.

wyoming posted:

almost as neat as wheat!

Weird place to put the perfect place to blow up the ship, right above the titanic style coal piles and furnaces.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 21, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

As above, so below?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well I didn't like Part 1, but I did see it in the cinema on 70mm as I was in London at the time, and I'm in London again for Part 2's release so I've got a ticket. However I'm currently the only one here...

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well that was as bad as Part 1. Same final fight, and despite the priest doctor's warning that the space Nazi guy would come back different, he was exactly the same character. The walking tanks were cool, until they were very easily blown up, as was the space goddess in the engine room, not that we could see it very well - it's only on screen for about 5 seconds.

There was also the most obvious reveal that the princess with healing powers is still alive, but it's not one of the two age appropriate blond girls on Veldt, but she was instead being held back for Rebel Moon 2: Part 1. Had to laugh at the string quartet still playing even while the monarchy was being murdered and after another fight broke out, they really are professionals.

Anyway it turns out the grain actually was important to feeding the ships crew, and despite the audience having the knowledge that the army knew their men were dead, we kept up the pretense that harvesting the crop actually mattered.

And how exactly did that girl embroider multiple art works, personalised for people she has known at this point for, at most, 3 days? why didn't anyone tell her to get her rear end out to the fields to help get the wheat in?

edit: also, the part where Belisarius was screaming "kill her!" after the assassination was v funny

Carpet fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 21, 2024

Caros
May 14, 2008

Carpet posted:

Well that was as bad as Part 1. Same final fight, and despite the priest doctor's warning that the space Nazi guy would come back different, he was exactly the same character. The walking tanks were cool, until they were very easily blown up, as was the space goddess in the engine room, not that we could see it very well - it's only on screen for about 5 seconds.

There was also the most obvious reveal that the princess with healing powers is still alive, but it's not one of the two age appropriate blond girls on Veldt, but she was instead being held back for Rebel Moon 2: Part 1. Had to laugh at the string quartet still playing even while the monarchy was being murdered and after another fight broke out, they really are professionals.

Anyway it turns out the grain actually was important to feeding the ships crew, and despite the audience having the knowledge that the army knew their men were dead, we kept up the pretense that harvesting the crop actually mattered.

And how exactly did that girl embroider multiple art works, personalised for people she has known at this point for, at most, 3 days? why didn't anyone tell her to get her rear end out to the fields to help get the wheat in?

edit: also, the part where Belisarius was screaming "kill her!" after the assassination was v funny

She was totally just regifting them with a vague story to explain why they were each getting random rear end images.

I like some of the fits in this show, the weird combination between formal suits, business casual and ancient garb sometimes works. It did not work for the king murderers. Those togas over dress uniforms do not work.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Carpet posted:

God yeah, I don't know what kind of accent he was aiming for but the result ended up sounded completely unhinged.

wyoming posted:

almost as neat as wheat!

This part was frustrating cause it was like a glimpse into a better movie. Aesthetically the evil empire is just 90% bland pastiche, but every now and then you get stuff like this, the red-robed priests, or the robots. Stuff that could be high points of a memorable faction if it was embedded in a cohesive matching aesthetic and given some room to breathe. But instead they're just short background glimpses of something potentially cool that never go anywhere.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
As much as we joke about the grain, it wasn't that important to the imperium. While it would be good to have food and stay in the outworlds, and it functions as a symbol of colonial control, Noble returns for the other reason: To collect Kora the princess killer and use her to elevate his political power. This is explicit once the actual battle starts and the tanks come out which definitely do not nicely avoid grain. And the big one is of course when Noble says to just use the cannon to destroy the village now that Kora is on the ship.

The grain defense is Titus' idea, but this is just a stalling tactic. His next plan was to kidnap officers and force a negotiation. Also they did not know that Noble still lived, the one person who knew who Kora is and wanted her. So there's a bit of playing with unknown information on both sides. The whole battle would have ended with just Kora surrendering or captured if not for hidden rocket launcher.

Finally the grain is just the symbolic difference between the Veldt, which grows and create, and the imperium which consumes and kills only leaving bodies and black smoke.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Perestroika posted:

God yeah, I don't know what kind of accent he was aiming for but the result ended up sounded completely unhinged.

This part was frustrating cause it was like a glimpse into a better movie. Aesthetically the evil empire is just 90% bland pastiche, but every now and then you get stuff like this, the red-robed priests, or the robots. Stuff that could be high points of a memorable faction if it was embedded in a cohesive matching aesthetic and given some room to breathe. But instead they're just short background glimpses of something potentially cool that never go anywhere.

yeah rebel moon is a strange mishmash of different influences and references. on the one hand it is a basic WW2 movie and the technopriests are just the catholics who supported the fascists. on the other hand they are supposed to be some kind of high-tech caste who can bring people back to life and enslave goddesses for FTL travel. then a few seconds after meeting one of the goddesses we go back to a scene where the space ship is coal-powered. surely something so silly would have been ironed out at the draft stage of the screenplay but instead we got what we got.

I would have preferred a film where the high tech side was embraced and we had more stuff like the goddesses, cities being nuked, griffon riders, weird aliens, androids being badass, guys with metal skull flaps being plugged into poo poo. but they clearly handcuffed themselves with this village defense scenario, because with any sort of tech beyond WW2 era tanks and infantry the village and our heroes would not have stood a chance. so instead we get something extremely inconsistent

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
why would you assume that the disconnect between tech levels is a mistake? it's a movie, not a Let's Play of Civilization

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why would you assume that the disconnect between tech levels is a mistake? it's a movie, not a Let's Play of Civilization

"cause it was like a glimpse into a better movie"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

What does it mean if you're watching a movie and the scenes make you feel like you're watching a good movie.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Actually the movie was very stupid on purpose!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

"cause it was like a glimpse into a better movie"

so just straightforwardly admitting "i don't like this so i'm going to play stupid about the themes on purpose?"

like, to spell it out: the empire is clearly stagnant. they barely know how to use the tech they have (remember the droids from part 1? they're carting around killbots that nobody can convince to fight and just having them do manual labor instead); the stuff that is preserved is predominantly weapons or transportation so they can conquer places and bring back the tribute.

there's plenty to dislike about this movie (its attitude towards monarchy and the dead princess is both strangely naive on its face and also only seems to exist to set up a theoretical sequel, and multiple people have made detailed and insightful posts about how weirdly action is blocked and shot) but it's incredible watching people more or less pick up on things like "okay, the fascists kind of suck at their job, it would be a tremendously humiliating if they got their asses kicked by farmers, but their arrogance and overplaying of their hand makes it possible" and go "wow, how weird. must be an accident, everyone knows empires are all-competent and indestructible"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

When Hernando Cortez went to conquer Mexico, his men had an overwhelming advantage in technology (horses, gunpowder, armor, military organization, etc.) Amusingly for our purposes, a lot of this can be blamed on grain -- on having nine or ten thousand years of history of sedentary farming instead of two or three thousand like the people they were conquering. :v:

They won more fights than they lost, but still got their asses beat over and over for a variety of reasons; underestimating their opponents, failure to adapt their military strategy to a new environment, political disputes back in Spain or the Caribbean leading to support for their endeavor being extended or withheld seemingly at random, etc. At one point they tried to siege a native city by building a catapult, and completely hosed up the design (despite it being well-established in Europe and in use for centuries). The payload fell like two inches in front of the machine and damaged their own supplies, to the amusement of their enemies.

They still won in the end thanks to a combination of disease, infighting among native polities that (at the time) had never previously had any reason to think of themselves as being all on one side vs. foreign invaders and just thought of Cortez and Spain as if they were a particularly strong Nahuatl polity themselves, and the political situation back in the Spain eventually coming around to supporting his project -- despite the fact that he did it all by brazenly ignoring orders and came very close to being viewed as a traitor instead. In particular, if Cortez's dad had been a little bit worse at kissing royal rear end it could easily have all fallen apart for him.

Imperial power being brittle, incoherent, and frequently self-defeating is more the norm in history than the exception.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

What? They build the last dreadnought like 13 years ago, how can they "barely know how to use the tech they have" if they freaking built It?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Did anyone else think it was really silly that the Native American griffin rider's home planet was some kind of Victorian England steampunk world where they wore bowler hats?
Like, during the writing process, did they think, "what would be the most surprising reveal for the homeworld for this character?"

Also, this might be a bit of a stretch, but I got slight "Daily Wire movie without the overt racism/transphobia" vibes when all of the dying rebel soldiers in the village were basically heroic white American farmers with overalls/suspenders mixed with a bit of Norse/Viking overtones (which itself has some connection to modern neo-nazis). Like, if you took away the diverse casting of the seven samurai heroes, this could easily be a Daily Wire movie about the federal government stealing from "true Americans."

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 21, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

What? They build the last dreadnought like 13 years ago, how can they "barely know how to use the tech they have" if they freaking built It?

I mean, first and foremost, who cares? It doesn't necessarily matter why; if they demonstrably don't (like with the droids) then that's all you need to know. You watch the movie and you interpret what you see.

Second, to humor you despite the above, there could be all kinds of ways: maybe they're good at engineering but are too secretive to train soldiers in proper use of their weapons. Maybe in those 13 years the massive fascist coup and takeover that happened devastated the equivalent of universities. Maybe they're not that good at engineering and are just dogmatically following ancient instructions.

The movie's not really about the internal dynamics of the empire beyond how it relates to Kora and Titus's backstories, though, neither of whom are technicians, so it doesn't dwell on these things beyond a little bit of visual storytelling here and there. But that's not a failing, that's just... economy. The movie's pretty long as it is.

JazzFlight posted:

Also, this might be a bit of a stretch, but I got slight "Daily Wire movie without the overt racism/transphobia" vibes when all of the dying rebel soldiers in the village were basically heroic white American farmers with overalls/suspenders mixed with a bit of Norse/Viking overtones (which itself has some connection to modern neo-nazis). Like, if you took away the diverse casting of the seven samurai heroes, this could easily be a Daily Wire movie about the federal government stealing from "true Americans."

Nah, you're absolutely right here. The farming community is presented as very small-c conservative while the empire is portrayed as much in terms of decadence and "unearned" power as anything directly relating to its colonial oppression. The stuff with the royal family happily going along with military conquest for most of their life only to be transformed into nice liberals by the miracle of family is also kind of disconcerting.

Some of this is diegetic, mind -- like we're talking about what is, in the universe of Rebel Moon, a suppressed but nonetheless popular myth or religion, with at least some basis in fact, but filtered through the lens of a woman who was raised by space nazis to be the perfect soldier and a robot who was literally programmed to defend and obey the royals. But given we don't really learn anything about the princess except that she's probably still alive, we're just left with it as-is, and taking it at face value doesn't look great.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 21, 2024

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

Are you familiar with the history of the F-35?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Did anyone else think it was really silly that the Native American griffin rider's home planet was some kind of Victorian England steampunk world where they wore bowler hats?
Like, during the writing process, did they think, "what would be the most surprising reveal for the homeworld for this character?"

Not really, I don't have a youtube channel where I make 8 hour long "takedown" videos.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah, you're absolutely right here. The farming community is presented as very small-c conservative while the empire is portrayed as much in terms of decadence and "unearned" power as anything directly relating to its colonial oppression. The stuff with the royal family happily going along with military conquest for most of their life only to be transformed into nice liberals by the miracle of family is also kind of disconcerting.

It's a lot less cynical than this. The princess is literally a magical disney princess. The royal family was the source of the military conquest - they weren't just passive observers. The king was the driving force of it until his magic disney daughter was born and was shown to bring back the dead. Kora says that she had a healing influence on her parents.