Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

How long the director's cut is supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
3ish hours

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

josh04 posted:

But similar to the breakneck pacing of The Creator, I don't really see how that's a problem. Sometimes there's just a cool dude about who's totally up for it.

I’d be fine with that if the cool dudes got literally anything to do. If you get recruited in this movie you’re lucky if you get more than like 5 lines of dialogue and one short action scene. They basically become non-entities after their introductions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No Mods No Masters posted:

That's an even dumber reason than I thought given the context of zack "the 4 hour zack snyder cut, by zack snyder" snyder

and even dumber people will binge entire seasons of tv shows in a day

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

and even dumber people will binge entire seasons of tv shows in a day

Even worse people watch youtube videos longer than a hour!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

I’d be fine with that if the cool dudes got literally anything to do. If you get recruited in this movie you’re lucky if you get more than like 5 lines of dialogue and one short action scene. They basically become non-entities after their introductions.

This is very devil's advocate, but I suppose that is itself embeded in the star wars DNA at this point. I mean han solo ended the saga mostly standing in front of a door, to say nothing of very similar failings in rogue one

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Seeing it tonight at the Egyptian Theater and will hopefully get a selfie with Zack Snyder

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I was promised black jack and hookers. Does the movie feature them?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Warner Bros. cutting 30 mins out of BVS totally kneecapped the movie, so Netflix is doing the smart thing and cutting twice that much out of Moon lol

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

This is very devil's advocate, but I suppose that is itself embeded in the star wars DNA at this point. I mean han solo ended the saga mostly standing in front of a door, to say nothing of very similar failings in rogue one

It feels even more egregious here unfortunately. Djimon Hounsou in particular gets it really rough in this cut.

He’s talked up as arguably the most important person to recruit for the mission and when they finally do get him, it happens in about two minutes and he just sort of sits in a space ship for the rest of the movie, fires a gun like once. He’s another character that seemed to have a ton of flashback material in the trailer that is just completely absent in this version of the movie

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Ghosthotel posted:

Yeah there's crappy fight at the end with the big bad and you only see one guy do anything (and that's run up a ramp and jump throw a spear). All the other sidekicks they've spent the whole movie introducing do gently caress all.

Ghosthotel posted:

It feels even more egregious here unfortunately. Djimon Hounsou in particular gets it really rough in this cut.

That's the same with all of them. After the incredibly stupid fight against the sexy spider lady, robot arms light saber sword lady does nothing

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

lots of moons in this movie and very little rebels

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Two netflix execs doing the pog point to an analytics chart about no one watching movies over 2 hours long

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghosthotel posted:

lots of moons in this movie and very little rebels

That’s no moon

That’s a rebel

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

I was promised black jack and hookers. Does the movie feature them?

Apparently there's tentacles.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

McCloud posted:

Apparently there's tentacles.

Hell yeah.

Don't know why they held back this selling point from trailers and posters. :negative:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sounds like they're releasing a two-hour trailer in a couple days.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Here for that trailer then.

Wonder if bad reviews will push Netflix to quickly release the long cut. But not like Netflix film decisions ever seem sensible.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Obvious solution is to cut all longer films on Netflix down to two-hour versions, and have them re-reviewed on the tomato site. That’ll adjust the scores to something more accurate.

The Irishman: 2 Hour Cut, etc.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Irishman is the one I keep thinking of when I ask why they thought they needed a 2 hour cut. Did the Irishman fail in views or something

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Killers of the Flower Moon: Abridged

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

Killers of the Flower Moon: Abridged

The plot of that movie is literally 'Screw the rules I have money'

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well, they got to me, because I won't bother with this until the longer cuts are out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, they got to me, because I won't bother with this until the longer cuts are out.

hmmm yea this is what I am starting to lean towards, might wait for some Trusted Goon Certified feedback, but this sounds even more slipshod than the BvS theatrical (RIP David Brenner, maybe he could have pulled off a less janky cut). But if BvS Ultimate and ZSJL are any indication, RM:DC will be significantly better.

Weird thing is like he has AotD and MoS which are both under 3 hours and complete "official" cuts -- and MoS might still be my overall fave of his -- so it's not like he is just incapable, but when he wants to indulge boy does he indulge.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

everytime the movie seems like it’s about to go somewhere cool it feels like a netflix exec hit a comically large “delete” button so they could just keep the plot moving at 120mph

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

https://youtu.be/u4ca0g81zAI?si=HcyGHRYXfiEWsf80

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Since it’s streaming I’ll watch both cuts. I just hope the true cut comes out without too much of a wait.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Netflix should have released both at the same time. They put out entire seasons all at once so why not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jimbot posted:

Netflix should have released both at the same time. They put out entire seasons all at once so why not.

They tryna manufacture Snyder Cut hype.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They can still do that!

"You've wait for it, here's the SNYDER CUT" as it is released a hour later.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven't really been following what's been going on with this movie. Where was it said that Netflix mandated that the film be cut to poo poo? Was their confirmation of a director's cut?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I think that's the source of the complaints. This cut of the movie makes the Rogue One crew look robust and developed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Forbes' review is in:

quote:

When a Zack Snyder film comes to mind, the fight scenes are often the most anticipated aspect of his storytelling, and Snyder does not disappoint in the least with Rebel Moon. From his dramatic use of slow-motion that effectively builds upon the tension of the scene, often signaling the start of an incredibly well-choreographed duel, Snyder brings several memorable brawls to the screen. It is also worth mentioning his strategic and experimental use of filming parts of his camera shots in-focus and other parts out-of-focus, only adding to the daring nature of this production, not just in the story but in the making of the film itself.

----------

Whether you are able to watch Rebel Moon on the big screen at a theater or on Netflix within the comfort of one’s own home, I strongly suggest finding the biggest screen possible for this enthralling spectacle, with the addition of Tom Holkenborg’s great music score, to fully experience what Snyder undoubtedly hopes to get across with his longtime vision. Either way, sit back, buckle up and get ready to enter a world that has so much potential in becoming the next great cinematic saga for years to come.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think that's the source of the complaints. This cut of the movie makes the Rogue One crew look robust and developed.

They were?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Did whichever "contributor" for Forbes who posted that use GenAI to write it?

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Carpet posted:

He’s just a big Snyder fan—this is him: https://twitter.com/jeffconway/status/1735442252527477065?s=46

Which is fine obviously, no one would complain about a Wes Anderson fan writing a positive Asteroid City review. But this guy is obviously on the Snyder Wavelength.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Clearly all the Synder bots have formed a collective ai to post positive blog reviews all in order to raise the rotten tomato score a percent or two.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

Two netflix execs doing the pog point to an analytics chart about no one watching movies over 2 hours long

We've discovered a fool-proof plan to recreate the marketing hype and financial success of "the heartwarming story of the boy who learned to walk after getting having his legs broken" using nothing more than a little elbow grease and this mallet.

Jimbot posted:

Even worse people watch youtube videos longer than a hour!

Zack "Not Quite As Long as HBomberguy" Snyder

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Carpet posted:

What exactly is your point of contention here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It is pretty clunkily written tbh

quote:

Being not only the film’s director but also a writer, producer, the director of photography and sometimes even the camera operator, calling Snyder Rebel Moon’s fully formed and executed vision still feels like quite the understatement.
personally I do not believe that Zack Snyder is a fully formed and executed vision