Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JazzFlight posted:

Did anyone else think it was really silly that the Native American griffin rider's home planet was some kind of Victorian England steampunk world where they wore bowler hats?
Like, during the writing process, did they think, "what would be the most surprising reveal for the homeworld for this character?"

What it tells you is that Tarak's shirtless dirty barbarian, free spirit, Space Conan persona is kind of a put-on. He's not the Griffin Whisperer because he's close to nature or shares a bond with the animals because they have so much in common, he's the Griffin Whisperer because he's a rich kid who grew up on a world where griffins are like thoroughbred horses and his family could afford lessons.

That said, it's consistent with the idea, which he directly admits to in Scargiver, that he's been running away from his responsibilities and acting like he has no connection to his homeworld, and that if he lives through the current fight, he's going to try to change that.

Jimbot posted:

It's a lot less cynical than this. The princess is literally a magical disney princess. The royal family was the source of the military conquest - they weren't just passive observers. The king was the driving force of it until his magic disney daughter was born and was shown to bring back the dead. Kora says that she had a healing influence on her parents.

I'm not sure what we're saying is all that different. I'm just saying the whole concept of a Disney Princess is reactionary. :v:

I'd like to entertain the notion that it isn't being played 100% straight, but I honestly don't have a good argument for it from the movie we actually got.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

JazzFlight posted:

Also, this might be a bit of a stretch, but I got slight "Daily Wire movie without the overt racism/transphobia" vibes when all of the dying rebel soldiers in the village were basically heroic white American farmers with overalls/suspenders mixed with a bit of Norse/Viking overtones (which itself has some connection to modern neo-nazis). Like, if you took away the diverse casting of the seven samurai heroes, this could easily be a Daily Wire movie about the federal government stealing from "true Americans."

If you want someone to remove all the non-white characters from a Zack Snyder movie I'm sure Joss Whedon isn't busy

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not sure what we're saying is all that different. I'm just saying the whole concept of a Disney Princess is reactionary. :v:

I'd like to entertain the notion that it isn't being played 100% straight, but I honestly don't have a good argument for it from the movie we actually got.

Fair but I just don't know what sort of point you're trying to make about it being "disconcerting" in response to a post trying to moralize their position by not so subtly trying to paint the film as ultra conservative if not for a few pesky details. The film isn't going to bat for any aspect of the empire save the princess herself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Fair but I just don't know what sort of point you're trying to make about it being "disconcerting" in response to a post trying to moralize their position by not so subtly trying to paint the film as ultra conservative if not for a few pesky details. The film isn't going to bat for any aspect of the empire save the princess herself.

I don't think the film is ultra-conservative. I do think it has something to say about people's motivations for revolution or political violence in general, on what is a lasting and durable cause vs. the sort of thing that might cause someone to fail or act with cowardice in a critical moment. The princess is part of that, along with Kora's near-surrender. I think the Netflix cut doesn't really give us enough for me to draw any clear conclusions, but I'm interested to see whether either a) I'm just missing something obvious or b) the director's cut gives us a clearer picture.

e: Similarly, much as I like Snyder overall, I think his politics are mostly liberal and I'm skeptical about his ability to tell a story with a convincing theory of political power. The stuff that I've been talking about re: the depiction of the empire is promising! But it's also kind of low-hanging fruit, to be honest.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 21, 2024

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I know the goon response to any criticism of this movie is more "stop nitpicking / you're focusing on the wrong things / again with the grain???" so...
Can I ask what the good parts of this movie are? Like, how is this a good movie? Any part of this that actually makes you think afterwards and come away with a new experience?

I'm genuinely curious, because this movie has 18% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I don't think I'm alone in thinking it's bad?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think it looks cool, and I also genuinely love Ed Skrein's performance as Noble. There are a lot of little physical things he does, the occasional sniff of disgust, pulling his uniform down to get the wrinkles out, the face he makes when he drops down into the tunnels to start killing rebels. He really sells the idea of this guy who's obsessed with the ideal of "discipline," who at once is just this raging psychopath but also wants to be patted on the head and rewarded for being a good boy.

e: the costuming too: the suspenders, the planet of the bowler caps, the hideous military haircuts, all that poo poo rules

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 21, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

JazzFlight posted:

I'm genuinely curious, because this movie has 18% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I don't think I'm alone in thinking it's bad?

Can't speak for anyone else but the minute you bring up the Tomatometer a huge door slams shut in my mind. I do not give a poo poo what a bunch of mediocrities whose sole common feature is 'will write about movies for a pittance" think - especially in the aggregate - and if you do it's a reveal that our Movie Mindsets have diverged so heavily that I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. Not quite as bad, but it reminds me of when a guy told me that "Raiders of the Lost Ark is a bad movie, actually" and suddenly everything they said afterwards sounds like the teacher noises from Charlie Brown.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It looks like this

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

JazzFlight posted:

I know the goon response to any criticism of this movie is more "stop nitpicking / you're focusing on the wrong things / again with the grain???" so...
Can I ask what the good parts of this movie are? Like, how is this a good movie? Any part of this that actually makes you think afterwards and come away with a new experience?

It is not a good movie and is derivative of every other ww2 movie but with some heavy metal magazine vibes. I like snyder's other stuff much better. I guess i enjoyed the main character and the comically evil and ugly fascists like the dudes left in the village who were having a grand old time planning to gang rape the blonde girl.

All the interesting stuff like the aliens and goddesses and crab tanks was wasted on making it a standard ww2 village defense scenario. I think if it leaned into the silly stuff like the coal powered space ship and over the top fascists it could have been better satire, or if it embraced the higher tech stuff like the goddesses and the androids it could have been a bit more interesting, instead we get this pile of stale mediocre tropes. Definitely a video game movie. Imagine an adaptation of Consider Phlebas done with this level of dedication to CGI and action sequences, it would be so much better than what Snyder cooked up here

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

I watch a bunch of old horror, action, and martial arts movies that don't exactly make me think beyond "That was a sick and fun movie" why would it bother me if Rebel Moon is giving me similar thoughts?

Also who cares what Rotten Tomatoes thinks? I have not "agreed" with many of the 'tomatometer' ratings from the poor reviews Snyder generally gets to the praise for Marvel movies, Rian Johnson movies, and Everything Everywhere All at Once. Why should I care now?

Roth fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 21, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think the film is ultra-conservative. I do think it has something to say about people's motivations for revolution or political violence in general, on what is a lasting and durable cause vs. the sort of thing that might cause someone to fail or act with cowardice in a critical moment. The princess is part of that, along with Kora's near-surrender. I think the Netflix cut doesn't really give us enough for me to draw any clear conclusions, but I'm interested to see whether either a) I'm just missing something obvious or b) the director's cut gives us a clearer picture.

e: Similarly, much as I like Snyder overall, I think his politics are mostly liberal and I'm skeptical about his ability to tell a story with a convincing theory of political power. The stuff that I've been talking about re: the depiction of the empire is promising! But it's also kind of low-hanging fruit, to be honest.

Ah, I gotcha. I wasn't sure where you were coming from. I think the most important and relatable character for this is Milius because their backstory can be any one of us. They were part of a community that decided for them what the response to the empire was going to be and choosing to bend the knee caused them to be dispersed to the stars and those who couldn't work were purged. Then comes along the coolest revolutionary you've ever seen and you join up with them to fight against that empire, finding comradery. I think he does establish that the difference between those two ideas is the williness to overcome that fear and fighting for them or giving in and hoping to rely upon the mercy of psychopaths.

JazzFlight posted:

I did this and I only did so because I got the distinct impression from your posts that you simply didn't care and was just around to rabble-rouse, so I was just treating them with due consideration. If that wasn't the case then I apologize. I like these films, not as much as his Superman films mind, because they are well shot and entertaining. The universe in these films is wonderfully weird. Some of the action does go overboard with the slo-mo but it's still shot and choreographed well. Where some people see flaws, I see as pluses. People are complaining/laughing at/thinking is stupid the whole farming stuff in the first half of part 2 but I find that great and enduring. For one, you won't see this sort of thing in a modern blockbuster, it won't take the time to show you how these farmers work and how this important thing, a thing in which they have "have a lot of loud sex in hopes of a bountiful harvest" ritual over, is done in glorious slow motion so you take in every single action.

You just don't see choices like that. It'd be a minute long montage to some pop song from the last ten years and be over with. That's a valid way of doing it too, but this film wants to revel in this important event where the heroes help bring in the harvest. You don't see it often so it's seen as the "wrong" way of doing it and it just baffles me at how quick so many people are to adopt an genuinely incurious stance on art. These movies have a distinct look to them and the budget for them shows on screen. The last half war movie was incredibly well-shot and executed. Things were planned out, had stakes, it was a struggled and had all manner of defeats and victories.

I've posted before I ultimately think these are above-average films. Snyder has done far better but I look at the RT score ( aggregate sites are poison) and I simply laugh. You look at the company a 18% keeps and this film isn't like any of those (arbitrary numerical scores are bad). I've seen snippets of some reviews too and it's the most cynical trash I've read.

quote:

There's a sequence where they harvest wheat. It's like Snyder saw DAYS OF HEAVEN and was like "I'll make this better!" He didn't.

The dinner table scene hits repetitive beat after beat, playing like they're in a contest to win a trophy for "Best Repressed Traumatic Backstory"

A professional critic wrote that. It's just so cynical. You used to just say "the way the backstories were set up to be delivered was clunky" (I can agree with this) or admit you didn't understand slow motion wheat harvesting instead of making up some strawman scenario that didn't happen to explain why it was there. Or simply say you didn't like it. So, I really don't put much stock in what critics have to say, even outside of Snyder's work. Overall, you like what you like and if you hated these films then more power to you. I just don't see the value raising questions about world or tech details you don't understand in ways that make it sound like it's a bunch of nonsense and in a way that makes it sound like you aren't at all interested in reading the answer.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

it's fine. it's just a fine, decent, edited-to-poo poo movie. it is no worse than any other sci-fi action blockbuster and in some very specific ways much better

compare directly with sequel trilogy Star Wars or the MCU. what was the grain discourse of those movies? what did goons say when you asked "why do you like these movies" then?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I got a question about Kora almost surrendering herself when Noble threatened the helpless people in the longhouse: What?

It's just a house, in the village. The Empire has scanners, and are assholes. How did Kora not see this coming? Was this already an attempt by her to get on the ship, or was the plan truly that bad that it almost got foiled by the Most Obvious Move Ever?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

it's fine. it's just a fine, decent, edited-to-poo poo movie. it is no worse than any other sci-fi action blockbuster and in some very specific ways much better

compare directly with sequel trilogy Star Wars or the MCU. what was the grain discourse of those movies? what did goons say when you asked "why do you like these movies" then?

i mean, nu-Star Wars definitely had discourse that took swirling ambiguous discontent with the series (some of it for justified reasons!) and then focused on completely irrelevant and contradictory details as a retroactive explanation -- it's just that the superficial explanation and outrage was mostly right-wing culture war poo poo, and CineD is, to its credit, mostly above that.

e: the MCU on the other hand just tries desperately hard to never provoke or upset anyone

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 21, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Grendels Dad posted:

I got a question about Kora almost surrendering herself when Noble threatened the helpless people in the longhouse: What?

It's just a house, in the village. The Empire has scanners, and are assholes. How did Kora not see this coming? Was this already an attempt by her to get on the ship, or was the plan truly that bad that it almost got foiled by the Most Obvious Move Ever?

If I'm remembering the first film right, Kora thought that with Noble dead that no-one Imperial would know that she was the most wanted criminal in the galaxy. Him undeading himself means all their grain-based assumptions about how this will play out are wrong, so she panics.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

josh04 posted:

If I'm remembering the first film right, Kora thought that with Noble dead that no-one Imperial would know that she was the most wanted criminal in the galaxy. Him undeading himself means all their grain-based assumptions about how this will play out are wrong, so she panics.

But the assault on the longhouse doesn't even have to involve Noble; it's just a reasonable assumption that the Empire would attack their weakest and most helpless people just to be dicks. Especially if you gather them all in one easily accessible spot. I guess Kora was thrown off by Noble's presence, but her and everybody's surprise at the attack doesn't make sense unless it was meant to be a trap for the Empire.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Oh right - Noble's talking about the women and children like they're helpless but we saw that they armed and trained everyone to fight anyway. I think Kora is thrown by the idea that she can sacrifice herself for the villagers, not that they were outflanked.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Well they have Nemisis guarding the long house. So it's not unprotected. Kora chooses to surrender because it suddenly becomes an option with Noble. They didn't plan for that to be an option. It's not just the longhouse, it's avoiding the battle all together since Noble values her so highly.

Of course yeah there definitely would have been a betrayal.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Roth posted:

I have not "agreed" with many of the 'tomatometer' ratings

:mrgw:

Roth posted:

to the praise for... ...Everything Everywhere All at Once.

:mrwhite:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

JazzFlight posted:

Like, if you took away the diverse casting of the seven samurai heroes, this could easily be a Daily Wire movie about the federal government stealing from "true Americans."

This is a wild read for me considering the text presents the folk on Veldt as some sort of hippie commune full of kinda weirdo sex and grain obsessed simpletons, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Can't speak for anyone else but the minute you bring up the Tomatometer a huge door slams shut in my mind. I do not give a poo poo what a bunch of mediocrities whose sole common feature is 'will write about movies for a pittance" think - especially in the aggregate - and if you do it's a reveal that our Movie Mindsets have diverged so heavily that I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. Not quite as bad, but it reminds me of when a guy told me that "Raiders of the Lost Ark is a bad movie, actually" and suddenly everything they said afterwards sounds like the teacher noises from Charlie Brown.

:hmmyes::agreed:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Haven't seen part 2 (holding out for the however-long cut) but I finished part 1 thinking the farmers were some kind of space Mennonites. While that's something very different from what most folks have in mind re: "true Americans," that ain't exactly a hippie commune.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

People being kinda weirdly aggressively personal ITT. Tomato score is far from perfect but if there's better metric for what wider opinion of a movie is plz share.

its just a movie. noones posting about the lil white cuck ball~

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Tomato score is far from perfect but if there's better metric for what wider opinion of a movie is plz share.

I’m not convinced it’s especially important to find the best source for“wide opinion of a movie” but it’s not like the Tomatometer even does that. It flattens critical writings into a “pass/fail” grade then gives you a percentage of how many critics rated it as “pass”. Which in this case means about 1 in 5 critics rated it anywhere from a B- to an A+ and the other 4 rated it a C+ or worse. Which…I’m not sure how helpful that actually is except people sure do love to post low scores as a dunk

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The trick is to not really be concerned about or influenced by wider opinion. If something interests you and potentially aligns with stuff you like, check it out. If it ends up disappointing, oh well. Too much energy is wasted trying to dunk on poo poo, lol.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Needing to know a wide opinion measurement on a movie is for people who miss their daily dose of grain.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Haven't seen part 2 (holding out for the however-long cut) but I finished part 1 thinking the farmers were some kind of space Mennonites. While that's something very different from what most folks have in mind re: "true Americans," that ain't exactly a hippie commune.

Yeah, I agree with this. I even said it at the time that they came off as conservative. Their weird sex rituals and only being formally allowed into the community by marrying into it, it's definitely not some hippie commune. It's no less deserving of help, though.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
i liked this better than the first, but still felt pretty 'meh.'
i give it 2.5 out of 5 grains.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Citizen, you have been observed enjoying a film with a low Tomatometer. How do you plead?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

is this movie celiac friendly

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. I even said it at the time that they came off as conservative. Their weird sex rituals and only being formally allowed into the community by marrying into it, it's definitely not some hippie commune. It's no less deserving of help, though.

By hippie commune I meant the members making up that community come off as naive and free spirited/carefree, however you want to describe it.

Bongo Bill posted:

is this movie celiac friendly

Movie is not gluten free.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What can I say, I don't like poo poo cinema and it really didn't make me think or feel like I watched a new experience that I couldn't get from Rick & Morty.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Guy A. Person posted:

I’m not convinced it’s especially important to find the best source for“wide opinion of a movie” but it’s not like the Tomatometer even does that. It flattens critical writings into a “pass/fail” grade then gives you a percentage of how many critics rated it as “pass”. Which in this case means about 1 in 5 critics rated it anywhere from a B- to an A+ and the other 4 rated it a C+ or worse. Which…I’m not sure how helpful that actually is except people sure do love to post low scores as a dunk

Personally, I don't like when people use the Rotten Tomatoes audience score as if it has much merit. Generally speaking, people are only going to review movies if they feel at the extremes. Either they extremely love it (or are a superfan in general) or they extremely hate it. Not much room for nuance.

Generally speaking, I don't mind looking at the critic scores as those are people that are reviewing as part of their job. And sure, it's not going to be unbiased, but I mainly use it as a one stop reference for critics I'm familiar with to see how they react.

Roth posted:

What can I say, I don't like poo poo cinema and it really didn't make me think or feel like I watched a new experience that I couldn't get from Rick & Morty.

:goofy:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I just realized the assassination orchestra was probably executed also. They wore the same hoods as Titus former troops before they ate orbital cannon.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Weirdly the best part of this was probably the strange chained furnace goddess that we didn't get to see anything of, and then the hyper gratuitous overlong harvesting scene. The problem is there's this weird universe and I want to see more of it, but we end up with a derivative seven samurai thing and the action isn't really all that engaging.

Definitely better than Rise of Skywalker, but it's yet another Star Wars movie without an actual war in the stars.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Personally, I don't like when people use the Rotten Tomatoes audience score as if it has much merit. Generally speaking, people are only going to review movies if they feel at the extremes. Either they extremely love it (or are a superfan in general) or they extremely hate it. Not much room for nuance.

Generally speaking, I don't mind looking at the critic scores as those are people that are reviewing as part of their job. And sure, it's not going to be unbiased, but I mainly use it as a one stop reference for critics I'm familiar with to see how they react.

The RT audience score at the very least isn’t trying to disguise what it actually represents the way the critics score is treated as a “grade” by so many people, but yeah high-fiving over a 100% audience score before a movie is released is extremely dumb

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

The RT audience score at the very least isn’t trying to disguise what it actually represents the way the critics score is treated as a “grade” by so many people, but yeah high-fiving over a 100% audience score before a movie is released is extremely dumb

Reviews for anything, be it movies, music, or games, is in an interesting place imo.

Obviously, the best answer is to just go experience it yourself, but that’s not always a solution. I feel like reviews do have a bit of a purpose. “Should I spend the money to go see <movie> in theaters” “Should I get a sub for <service> to watch <show>.” You can’t necessarily go to a thread for said thing because it will be filled with fans that will obviously endorse it. Rotten Tomatoes isn’t better in that regard. Same with games. Can’t listen to YouTubers/Twitch streamer influencer types because they’re all marketing tools in the end.

I’ve found the only solution is to find a critic that you can tolerate and follow them enough to “get” their biases then compare that to their reviews.

Overkill, I know. In the end, a lot of people want quick feedback for “is this worth spending money on” and there isn’t an easy answer. :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At this point movie critics are all clout chasing failkids who desperately want to be ahead of the social media consensus and give the reviews they think make them look smart, not even what they actually think or feel.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the movie is clunky enough in this form that it tips over the edge to being hated by the vast majority of critics. Once again netflix shoots themselves in the foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so just straightforwardly admitting "i don't like this so i'm going to play stupid about the themes on purpose?"

like, to spell it out: the empire is clearly stagnant. they barely know how to use the tech they have (remember the droids from part 1? they're carting around killbots that nobody can convince to fight and just having them do manual labor instead); the stuff that is preserved is predominantly weapons or transportation so they can conquer places and bring back the tribute.

More on this as it's good stuff, you can imagine much of the empire tech is simply taken from worlds they conquered. It's why there's a mix of big battleship like guns and astral plane resurrection pods. Or coal and enslaved goddesses.

And what happens to the chief medical officer who revives Noble? He gets a space bullet to the head. Such protocol is probably not good for knowledge transfer.