Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm all in on watching a rebel moon part 2 that Snyder finished editing, instead of the meme cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

A cut against the grain

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i saw someone point out that the coal is being fed to the entombed goddess which is where they draw their power from, that's cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently we got people even itt that Hollywood seems to be worried about that will complain that a diverse and interesting setting is 'confusing' and 'inconsistent'.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I rewatched all of Seven Samurai for the first time in like a decade. Obviously still good stuff.

But you know what Seven Samurai features right after the intermission? Grain.

Really the first half before the intermission is all recruitment and setting up the struggles of the village. So a bit like the first rebel moon but without the action and more character development. There's one sort of action at the end where a few farmers try to rebel but are forcibly put back in line. I'd say probably 4 or 5 of the Samurai feel distinct from the others.

Post intermission it's harvesting barley, and then battle. So rebel moon part 2 is probably more similar here. One interesting difference is that Seven Samurai is much more focused on class and the hard lives of the farmers. In rebel moon, our heroes harvest grain in slow mo with the farmers and everyone eats equally well. But in samurai, the samurai stand guard over the workers but look more like their overseers. Only Mifune, the pretend samurai/son of a farmer, offers to work the fields but in exchange for favors from a woman. Then of course there's the whole monologue by Mifune on how the violence of the samurai corrupted the farmers. The only classism in Rebel moon seems to be within the Imperium.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Someone linked this in discord and I thought I'd share it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CISZgSCwQZ4

A fine interview with Snyder. Two tidbits I thought interesting (well one I didn't know and the other is confirmation): he wanted Part 2 to have a tighter release schedule and that the R-cuts will be dropping the same day.

Part 2 should have had a tighter release schedule. Like a month at most. By the time Part 2 came out folks just forget about plot details. But I suppose the tactic worked since Part 1 entered the top 10 chart on netflix.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 1, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I can't wait for the movie discourse this summer!

I missed this great one earlier

Benson Cunningham posted:

This was one of the dumbest loving movies I have ever seen. I don't know how we were supposed to form an attachment to any character when they were given 30 seconds of screen time in a vignette team building sequence. Every set is minuscule with clear foreground cgi, background cgi, or both. The dialog was a joke. The costume design ranged from what could have been cool (weirdo space Catholics) to hilariously bad (button down shirt black tie nazi). Every character was an [occupation][ethnicity][twist]. Characters are just forgotten about (the soldier who feels bad about being a space nazi). Nothing links the scenes together (CUT TO SPACESHIP + PLANET NAME). The ultimate villain is just a sad dad with a beard. Cinematography was non-existent.

Sometimes I read books that make me think I should just publish the drivel I write because I'm certain it's better than what I just read. This is the first time I've seen a movie that made me think I, with no experience, could produce a better movie than what I just watched.

loving throw $300 million dollars at Guillermo Del Toro. Imagine what that dude would do. Ridley Scott. Denis Villeneuve. Nolan. Cameron. loving Neill Blomkamp. Luc Besson.

I would rather watch Uwe Boll's magnum opus than drink Zack Snyder's movie piss.

:perfect:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I always love these old 2004-era "I had to bleach my eyeballs" hyperbole reviews. In their haste to get a burn off they often step on a metaphorical rake, much like Shooter McGavin's titular "I eat pieces of poo poo like you for breakfast" line. This guy literally said he willingly drank Snyder's "cinematic piss" and writes drivel, thus completely owning himself AND the review - one of the better ones I've seen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maybe he thought it was peach tea

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Granny's Wheat Tea

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Granny I think you have a drinking problem

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Blood Boils posted:

I can't wait for the movie discourse this summer!

I missed this great one earlier

:perfect:

goons with Dukes Bros gangtags posting about how awesome Duke Nukem Forever is

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

josh04 posted:

Granny's Wheat Tea

Made with the finest Veldt grain.

I picked up the supplemental book that came out recently. It has a lot of behind-the-scene stuff that explains the set design and some technical tidbits about the world and all the tech - it's really rad. I highly recommend it if the movie even passingly interested you and want to see all the decisions that went into the design of everything.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

HolePisser1982 posted:

The difference is that we're right

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HolePisser1982 posted:

I mean, bring me an SMG-style takedown on Snyder of the caliber done for DNF and I'll convert immediately.

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/155tMXOaubyoKid5d7FGxl3TWCyg4eeBOfDILlfxmhDo/edit)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean, bring me an SMG-style takedown on Snyder of the caliber done for DNF and I'll convert immediately.

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/155tMXOaubyoKid5d7FGxl3TWCyg4eeBOfDILlfxmhDo/edit)

Always take any excuse to reread this.

What's weird is that nobody is really sitting around talking about how awesome this is. Most tag havers have pointed out its flaws and some have flat out refused to watch it until the director's cut. The recurring conversation topic (and the one being replied to above) is how silly the people who post colorful screeds about how awful the movie is -- and weirdly it's mostly people who already hated Snyder, which means there's probably more people ITT who watched the movie who hate the guy than who have his gang tag lol

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nah, maybe at the beginning, but nobody cares about this movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

Nah, maybe at the beginning, but nobody cares about this movie.

Whew well that’s good to hear, looking forward to much saner discourse this summer then!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dnf was worth it for these posts

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Here's the thing about that document. I can't track down the original post to check (it doesn't seem to be in the original goldmined thread), but I'm pretty sure that the last post with the gas mileage joke is actually not by SMG, but a different poster I've known for a while.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ya, that part with the Volvo is apocryphal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That Cosmology and Technology book they put out is fantastic. Lots of behind-the-scenes looks and they talk about the influences while showing concept art and detailed looks of the sets.

Here's one that wasn't in the PG-13 cut of the film that I'm sure will be restored in the R cut. It's from Daggus, the planet they meet Nemesis. This is a noddle bar:

That's not concept art. If you had even a passing interest in the film and thought the world, especially the sets, were pretty cool then this will provide you with a feast of information and pictures.

Edit: Just want to mention more than a few times did they mention repurposing sets from other netflix movies - it's real Old Hollywood stuff. Ones they mentioned were The Harder They Fall and Bullet Train.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 9, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole Duke Nukem Forever saga is really loving weird in retrospect. I think a lot of it might be because the final game ended up encapsulating 00s insecurity and meanness and came out right about when people had gotten thoroughly sick of that and no longer could even pretend to take it seriously.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Belatedly put out my review of the netflix cut of part 1, which I wrote back on release:

quote:

“Zack Snyder is making his own Star Wars.” It’s a bold premise. For better or worse, the film immediately begins to take shape in your mind — and from a filmmaker whose divisive reputation precedes him, there’s a strong temptation to assume what kind of film this will be before seeing a single frame of it. Zack Snyder’s Netflix production Rebel Moon: A Child of Fire wasn’t made on a shoestring budget, and by definition it can’t capture the blissfully ignorant innovation of making an off-brand Star Wars — a Starcrash or a The Man Who Saves The World with the ambition to do it all from scratch, in a period where the image of Baby Yoda wasn’t plastered on every lunch box. But there’s still some of that cheeky thrill in hearing “Zack Snyder’s doing an R-rated Star Wars,” as if you might have heard it on the playground at school and immediately started calculating how you would trick your parents into renting it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

There were a few too many slow-mo axe blows that you could very clearly see just tinked off the soldiers armor imo. Give me some fuckin violence for crying out loud.