Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Sure, so what's the other reason why they might come down on this particular village in the middle of nowhere?

Blood sacrifices, why not

Bongo Bill posted:

Those are all travel gods, not agriculture gods, probably.

Ok fine, ask them for a lot of beef jerky and slurpees from a 7-11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Someone still has to produce that beef & syrup Sizzurp, TM.

There's no extrapolating away from the farmers, they're present everywhere we turn!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blood Boils posted:

Someone still has to produce that beef & syrup Sizzurp, TM.

There's no extrapolating away from the farmers, they're present everywhere we turn!

Look, if one god can create the world in a week or so I'm sure a god of haulin rear end and asking me about my driving can figure out how to make some funyuns

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

This is a good point, and the fault of Netflix (and, to a point, Snyder for agreeing to this messed up release schedule). But do you really think the longer cut will get into the grain subplot?

I mean, maybe.

Grain is the plot, but I don’t necessarily mean more exposition about the farming. We’re undoubtedly going to get a better picture of the whole socioeconomics of this setting in the actual movie.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

thrawn527 posted:

This is a good point, and the fault of Netflix (and, to a point, Snyder for agreeing to this messed up release schedule). But do you really think the longer cut will get into the grain subplot?

I mean, maybe.
an extra 2 hours of discussing grain economics

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2JVOrAZGU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Rebel Moon is coming out tomorrow,so here’s two clips of Zack calling out you nerds

https://x.com/theesnyderverse/status/1780928105000870301?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

https://x.com/snyderarchive/status/1780924951798690207?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
But Zack, the 2 hour cuts ARE the focus-group version of the movies!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I'll take the focus groups in that case for sure

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do focus groups think about grain

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

There's a meanness to him now

:getin:

RBA Starblade posted:

They can't get enough of it!!!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

They want a realistic, down to earth show, that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Focus groups probably hate grain and want the picture to be DNR'd to heck.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Crossposting:

Like a lot of people suspected, these are two parts of one whole movie. Part two is a lot more action oriented, and the plot moves along at a pretty brisk pace. There's definitely some editing issues like the first one because they had to cut away from the gorier moments to keep the PG rating.

Some first immediate impressions (mild spoilers)

I really liked the plasma blade effects, that after image strobe effect looked really cool
Ed Skrein strikes a good balance between menacing and scenery chewing, the hallmark of a good villain
Jimmy doing a superhero landing with his cape blowing majestically in the wind was awesome
I found it really funny that Zack had an actual orchestra playing while the king was being Ceaser'ed
The final act was giving extreme Star wars vibes, with the flying ship crashing and them fighting while its listing
Also looking forward to the endless derail about grain arguments.

Anyways all in all I am definitely interested to see where they go next. Cant wait for the directors cut

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Did they establish that Doona Bae's character has robot hands in the first one?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Wheat postin' comin' through.

Some good stuff in here
During the 'big battle' Titus stops shooting to body slam a random dude
Jimmy becomes the ultimate Chappie
the lightsaber battle between Kora and Noble as the ship crashes is ridiculous and amazing
and so much wheat, far more wheat than you're expecting!

High Warlord Zog posted:

Did they establish that Doona Bae's character has robot hands in the first one?

Oh yes, they even show her cutting off her hands and replacing them with the gauntlets

They also show one of the Kali, the goddesses they chained into the ship engines, far more Giger-esque than i was expecting!
Also not really a spoiler, because the movie doesn't comment on or explain them at all! :v:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Not going to lie and say i enjoyed that, but it sure passed the time. Should have watched Dune 2

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I appreciate Rebel Moon 1+2 as a sort of guide on how to fight against fascists. It isn't perfect and sacrifices some 'better' ideas for the sake of drama and entertainment. For example, Kora should have just blown up the engine room immediately and sacrificed herself to take down the dreadnought but instead there had to be a drawn out climactic action scene. We have Generals and Admirals fighting on the front lines and engaging in melee combat just because it is cool and dramatic. It isn't a smart movie but it is as entertaining as anything else Snyder has done, and a better version of Star Wars than that franchise has been for decades.

I found the bizarre mix of old tech, fantasy, and sci-fi to be amusing. The dreadnought has dudes shoveling coal into furnaces right below where they have a goddess chained up and all the sci-fi weaponry is analogous to 20th century earth weaponry. This story could just as easily have taken place in Poland or France or Russia during WW2 but the sci-fi sheen makes it feel slightly more original than watching the Nazis get murked for the umpteenth time.

I think as far as Netflix sci-fi goes, these two movies are lower-middle of the road in quality but top notch in CGI effects. It does feel like a video game tie-in, which it apparently literally is, and I think a lot of people had higher expectations for it than was ever warranted.

tl;dr: If you can shoot rabbits, then you can shoot fascists

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Started watching Scargiver just now but had to stop and post because Ed Skrein's pronunciation has made me realize that Wheat-world is literally just called "World" in German (Welt).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked it about as much as the first part. The cuts that they did for time are hidden better than the ones cut for the PG-13 rating, which is to say it's harder to say you know where that extra hour is going to come from but you can see where all the gore is going to be. Some fights were really well done, but still don't reach Snyder's career highs. I do tend to roll my eyes to the whole "slow mo!" criticisms but he did overdo it in these two films. Some fights would have flowed better had they were shot normally with speed ramp to emphasize a particular move or movement, like in the way he says he likes to use it in interviews, but here a few of them are just simply fighting in slow-mo. It makes it look clunky and establishes no baseline of how this would look in normal-mo.

The stuff does Nemesis dirty. But I did really like the structure of the film quite a lot. The first half is basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5VJnxDLaZY

The second half is a war film and paced superbly. It's one told in three acts and is excellent. There are peaks and valleys in the action that it works really well, the heroes are constantly on the defensive but doesn't sacrifice the small victories in service of the hopelessness of the situation. There's a lot less melodrama in the character moments which are just straight dramatic. Fantastic performances all around - in ways they didn't get in the first part.

Not sure part two will do anything for those who didn't care for the first part. The build up from the first film definitely pays off in the second but the filmmaker didn't change directing styles between them, just genres.

Snyder's DC films are unmatched in my eyes - they're some of the best CBM made, period. I'd call these two films a middle-of-the-road sort.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 19, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Grendels Dad posted:

Started watching Scargiver just now but had to stop and post because Ed Skrein's pronunciation has made me realize that Wheat-world is literally just called "World" in German (Welt).

It's Veldt, according to the subtitles. Which is still pretty on-the-nose, but for slightly different reasons.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's Veldt, according to the subtitles. Which is still pretty on-the-nose, but for slightly different reasons.

The way Skrein says it, it's just "Welt". Go back to "Welt".

Finished Teil 2: Die Narbenmacherin, and yeah the seams aren't quite as noticeable as in the first one. I feel the need to say that Ed Skrein has two problems, and only two problems because I want to state that he is otherwise perfect: Firstly, he is basically doing the same bit as in the first movie. There is no noticeable difference, except now he seems to be stronger because that's what being brought back from the dead does for you I guess. Secondly, Ed Skrein can't loving deal with fighting on a falling battleship platform. Between Rebel Moon 1, Deadpool and this, he is 3-0 on getting his rear end kicked in such an environment; get your poo poo together Ed Skrein!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Stop with the slomo jfc, can anyone reign this dude in even a little bit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Only a focus group can stop him

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Being a huge nerd I would like to point out the stuff that this story shares with 1994's Final Fantasy 6

-The Veldt
-A deserter from the Empire is the key to the rebel's victory
-A black Imperial General refuses to kill a bunch of civilians
-An emperor is murdered and usurped by his psycho right-hand man
-Enslaved Goddess
-Mercenary ninja sacrifices themself
-Crab tanks

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The maniac made another superman movie lol

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I tried to give it a fair shot, but completely lost it at the communal water barrel. Are they going to have a hoedown too? (wait, did they have an actual hoedown in part 1? I can't remember). Maybe churn some butter while they're at it? I hate to give George Lucas credit, but he managed to capture the feeling of frontier farmers while still having them use futuristic tech. Instead these are the settlers from the "Up the Long Ladder" episode of TNG. That montage was rediculous. I was really hoping they would literally swing a hammer and sickle together and hold it in mid-air for the camera.

Also lol at the Legally-Distinct-From-Lightsabers fight. 2nd funniest movie I've seen this month.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Luke isn't a peasant. The Lars family in A New Hope are (e: at minimum!) middle class. They own slaves and land, Luke basically brags about alien fox-hunting when he's explaining what a good shot he is prior to the Death Star sequence, and Uncle Owen's dead set on Luke staying out of politics.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 20, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

There s probably a hoedown in part 1 but it was cut from the tween release for being too salacious with the thigh-slapping

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Hoedown becomes an orgy in the wheat in the R rated version

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

9PM central tonight I will be hosting a Rebel Moon Part 2 stream in the CineD Discord

:sickos:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

This movie is so by the numbers lol

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That one girl is an amazing seamstress. 7 unique stitches in 1 day. Forgot grain, she needs to open her own outer colonies Etsy.

Nah we all love grain too much for that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CineD discord stream starting soon :supaburn:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Love how goons defending the last movie were all “listen, the impracticality of the stupid grain doesn’t matter, it’s just a power play by the empire to mess with them” when this movie spends so much time showing that the grain actually was very important. Gotta spend 10-15 minutes showing them harvest the wheat by hand in future sci-fi world with floating wagon tech.

This movie was absolute garbage.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Don't be a grain baby.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Love how goons defending the last movie were all “listen, the impracticality of the stupid grain doesn’t matter, it’s just a power play by the empire to mess with them” when this movie spends so much time showing that the grain actually was very important. Gotta spend 10-15 minutes showing them harvest the wheat by hand in future sci-fi world with floating wagon tech.

This movie was absolute garbage.

I liked your tweet thread

But for the wrong reasons!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GulWIcn2fng

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

No pain, no grain. Or... no grain, no gain. Either works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barreft posted:

Stop with the slomo jfc, can anyone reign this dude in even a little bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRk7ZCVUO4