Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hes a real human bean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Martman posted:

personally I do not believe that Zack Snyder is a fully formed and executed vision

yeah that was paul bettany I thought

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

personally I do not believe that Zack Snyder is a fully formed and executed vision

I dunno, have you SEEN the guy?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Schwarzwald posted:

yeah that was paul bettany I thought

Don't know about fully formed but he definitely got executed!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Having just seen the theatrical version, I do not expect the Director's Cut to meaningfully add much to the plot itself. It's a very straight forward story, and if you weren't sold on Zack Snyder's riff on Seven Samurai and Star Wars then I'm not expecting your mind to be changed by a three hour version. It does feel like some more scenes characterizing each member of the crew are likely what was cut.

However, for me the appeal is seeing the interpretation of these things by Zack Snyder, and we get a fast paced intro film that proudly wears its influences on its sleeve, and while a lot of complaints seem to be that it's off brand Star Wars I would also point out that means it's Star Wars without being trapped by Star Wars canon. It's free to focus entirely on its own new characters and action set pieces without having to stop everything for the triumphant return of Clone Commander Bly.

It's a fun, cool and stylish movie, and I suspect the Director's Cut and Part 2 will have more to chew on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

PS I appreciate all the space nazi guys had Zod's awful haircut from Man of Steel

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Carpet posted:

Did whichever "contributor" for Forbes who posted that use GenAI to write it?

AI is so easy to spot, only hack writers are blind to it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CaptainN posted:

AI is so easy to spot, only hack writers are blind to it.

The Emperor's new AI generated whathaveyou

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
torn between not wanting spoilers and desperately wanting to ask how cool the anthony hopkins' robot is

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

he’s barely in the movie but he’s pretty cool

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm still really confused. I'm curious about this film but people here are saying this film was purposely cut down by Netflix? And there will be a director's cut?

Is any of that confirmed? Or is it all just speculation?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still really confused. I'm curious about this film but people here are saying this film was purposely cut down by Netflix? And there will be a director's cut?

It's all confirmed by Snyder himself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, both Snyder and Netflix have both said so. Presumably half because Netflix wants their Star Wars movie to be PG-13, and half as a weird attempt to recreate the Snyder Cut enthusiasm.

It is very dumb.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Fascinating. Are there any good articles about this? I’d love to read more about what all happened.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mordiceius posted:

Fascinating. Are there any good articles about this? I’d love to read more about what all happened.

https://www.wired.com/story/rebel-moon-director-zack-snyder-on-violence-loss-and-extreme-fandom/

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/residentdillon/status/1735934093391712342?t=W4SzF5k2hEus75J0lzytDA&s=19

So the R rated cut of part 1 comes out after the PG 13 rated cut of part 2 I guess? The continual layers of dumbness here are staggering

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It just means 2024 will be the year of Rebellious Moons.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Can I get an invite to the CineD discord?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

https://twitter.com/residentdillon/status/1735934093391712342?t=W4SzF5k2hEus75J0lzytDA&s=19

So the R rated cut of part 1 comes out after the PG 13 rated cut of part 2 I guess? The continual layers of dumbness here are staggering

It’s so over :negative:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If these streaming sites care so much about analytics, releasing both versions at the same time would have provided an insane amount of data about people’s preferences.

I’ve seen the theories that Netflix is trying to build Snyder-Cut hype, but the more basic explanation is that they want people to double-dip - forcing them to either re-subscribe or remain subscribed for longer.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Do Netflix viewers want a PG-13 cut? Even families? I feel like people are generally pretty happy to chill out to some quite extreme stuff in the comfort of their own homes. That's why Stranger Things, their big flagship family show, transitioned from something you could air at 8pm on a Network to a show with big gore setpieces that Stuart Gordan, Brian Yuzna and Tom Savini would nod approvingly at.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This has been in the back of my mind since they pre-announced a Snyder Cut in the marketing, there's essentially no reason to do this other than to create buzz given that frequent collaborator Mike Flanagan drops projects of arbitrary length on the platform all the time.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
This is all so annoying

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This has been in the back of my mind since they pre-announced a Snyder Cut in the marketing, there's essentially no reason to do this other than to create buzz given that frequent collaborator Mike Flanagan drops projects of arbitrary length on the platform all the time.

It feels so odd even if it is a marketing thing. Like, maybe wait until a month or two after the first version comes out?

"Yeah, the version releasing in a week is cut to poo poo. We're doing a directors cut next year?"
Okay, then why should I even watch the one coming out next week?

It makes me think of how Jason Momoa is going around during Aquaman marketing and talking about how he's probably not Aquaman anymore and this version of the character is over. Way to really sell the film to me!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A summer release for the directors cut is wild lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I thought it was gonna be like a month at most. That sucks

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I just want to watch the director’s movie as intended why do they gotta be so extra???

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

It makes me think of how Jason Momoa is going around during Aquaman marketing and talking about how he's probably not Aquaman anymore and this version of the character is over. Way to really sell the film to me!

Don't worry, Gunn is gonna come out soon and call it his favorite movie of the year!

DuhSal posted:

I just want to watch the director’s movie as intended why do they gotta be so extra???

Yeah I can't say I'm a fan of this approach.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lol

https://x.com/pinko69420/status/1736111408620699854?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DuhSal posted:

Netflix is the only company bold enough to release four Zack Snyder movies within a 12 month period

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Netflix really believed in the Snyder cut pop huh. they couldn't wait to try it themselves.

they really hosed this one lol. guess I won't bother for a bit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

Netflix really believed in the Snyder cut pop huh. they couldn't wait to try it themselves.

they really hosed this one lol. guess I won't bother for a bit.

cool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That poster ain’t wrong. It was a bad idea

The whole allure of the Snyder cut was a big greedy (racist) studio destroying an artists vision and seeing it restored lovingly and proving that the studio was completely wrong to “fix” the film

This is just double dipping for no real reason.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It’s super stupid. Why would I choose to watch the butchered version of the film when I know I could just not do that and watch the real version in six months?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What was the deal with the various cuts of Watchmen in terms of who wanted them etc?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What was the deal with the various cuts of Watchmen in terms of who wanted them etc?

Theatrical - studio demand
Director's - snyder
Ultimate - studio home release gimmick

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McCloud posted:

Don't worry, Gunn is gonna come out soon and call it his favorite movie of the year!

Stephen King too. Or maybe he will endorse Rebel Moon, a movie that looks pretty muscular to me.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Theatrical - studio demand
Director's - snyder
Ultimate - studio home release gimmick

To expound on this, Snyder cut the entirety of the Tales of the Black Freighter section of the comics out, and WB released it as direct-to-DVD motion comic. When Watchmen released on Blu-Ray WB released an "Ultimate Cut" that spliced the sections of TotBF back into Snyder's director's cut even though they had no business being there because hey that's how the comic was guhuh

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

It’s super stupid. Why would I choose to watch the butchered version of the film when I know I could just not do that and watch the real version in six months?

Maybe it's Netflix's attempt to get on the Early Access train. If you really love Snyder films that's at least two months you'll want a Netflix sub in, and they aren't that far apart that you'd cancel in between

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

right exactly. If there is any chance of the reportedly butchered and sped through plot points being fixed in 6 months then why would I take the time now to see the likely worse version?

granted the next version might also suck rear end but at least it will be the directors vision