Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well, they got to me, because I won't bother with this until the longer cuts are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Turning on the pulp sci-fi movie of a director known primarily for his visuals as "background noise" is a bad idea.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Watching "it's like an AI made it" become the dominant catchphrase for "I didn't like it" in realtime and it's bumming me out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Broke suspension of belief", much like "unlikeable characters", is a nothing phrase that basically says "I'm unable to articulate what I actually disliked about this movie" and so ends up with a brain dropping take.

That, and the numbskulls posting breathlessly from 2004's School of Hyperventilating Hyperbole about the cinematic diarrhea that made them wash their eyeballs with bleach and then set them on fire, are just so drat disappointing. Y'all spent time typing up boring and basic uninteresting critical snoozers and then get pissed when everybody doesn't stand up and clap. I have no doubt y'all hated the movie but I wish I could get some actual perspective instead of this Reddit poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thank you. That is an actual-rear end review and I appreciate it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That is his real accent.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I find it fascinating that this is being referred to as some sort of Star Wars knock-off. It's going to be very hard for that to happen; GenX already took a run at Star Wars back in the 80s and, no joke, came up with Warhammer 40k. 1987's Warhammer Rogue Trader, the original Games Workshop RPG that became the basis of Warhammer 40k, was written by two guys: a 28 year old late Boomer and an early GenX'er born the exact year of cinematic fascist Zack Snyder. As opposed to the grim darkness angle, Rogue Trader actually a "band of adventurers" team-up trying to scrape by in a sci-fi dystopia with a powerful fascist empire always on their heels (does this sound familiar? you're a bunch of Han Solos trying to stay one step ahead of the Empire). The game was developed before Aliens and Robocop; those two Sci-Fi bombshells get released and suddenly the entire line shifts and it's all about the massive space marines in their power armor yelling "purge the xeno" (a relatively minor satirical element in Rogue Trader, and one that mostly regulated to "avoid these fascist psychos"). The collapse of 70s eco-futurism and a near-decade of Reagan and Thatcher hyper-nationalism had cooked the brains of young artists and by the time the wall fell it was too late, 40k had become a straight-faced telling of the original satire.

And it's to that point that a 50-something director who freely admits he likes to tweak the audience and went through a significant family tragedy is not going to recapture the magic of a film that literally and irrevocably stamped cinema for the next century, and it's folly to think that would happen. Instead I would encourage you to pick up a couple of 1980s issues of Heavy Metal, page through the ludicrously pulpy but well-drawn stories that are soaked in blood, sex, and wacko imagery, and realize that those are what Snyder has in his head when he's making this movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Name Change posted:

Roger Corman made this movie twice in the 80's (Battle Beyond the Stars, Space Raiders).

Not sure if I wasn't clear here but my point was about GenX people (who were all children when Star Wars came out, and therefore a decade or more out from getting involved in professional movie making) attempting to ape Star Wars after stewing in hyper-jingoistic and sexually supercharged 80s media.

Roger Corman was literally in his 50s when Star Wars came out, a literal Greatest Generation guy who actually saw the serials it was based off in the theater as a kid, of course he could do a couple of passable knockoffs (that had zero impact on the "cultural conversation", whatever that is. They had zero impact on anything.) He has zero relevance to what I was talking about re: GenX directors massively shaped by Star Wars who are making pulp space operas.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I didn't post replies but I definitely read some people complaining about the dialogue and thought "well Star Wars (New Hope) has pretty rough dialogue too, that means the movie lost you in some other way".

Maybe OP is psychic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ozmunkeh posted:

Zach Snyder could work for another 50 years and still would not be able to surpass anything as aggressively mediocre as The Force Awakens.

Can I ask a serious question? Your post history is just some white noise drivel in soccer chat threads and then this kind of "guy bad" stuf in here. Why has this director gotten under your skin so badly, and why do you think a bunch of strangers want or need to hear your repeated low effort "this director is bad" posts? We're trying to get some discussion here; please go over to BSS or GBS and collect the "this guys sucks" virtual high-fives you so desperately crave because this is just Reddit level.

Verisimilidude posted:

Again, I don’t see the distinction. Ultimately these are planet-killing vehicles the protagonists have to contend with. One is round and takes 1 shot to destroy a planet, the other is ovular and takes several shots to do the exact same thing. You’re arguing about aesthetic differences when each poses a similar threat to the protagonists.

I can't think of a single science fiction series that doesn't eventually come up against a global destroyer of some type. That's the issue I'm having here. Could be one of Saberhaegen's Berzerkers, could be the Death Star, could be the Planet Killer from Star Trek, could be the Protomolecule from The Expanse. It's just a genre feature.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 4, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The way I do it is that when somebody says it's a homage, they liked the movie, and when they say it's derivative they didn't. ;)

I actually tried to say this earlier but nobody took the bait so I'll try again: Rebel Moon is not particularly Star Wars influenced IMO, I find it MUCH more influenced by late 70s/early 80s Heavy Metal magazines, which would make the "chain of ripoffs" 1930s pulps -> 1950s Science Fiction -> Star Wars -> 1980 Heavy Metal Magazine -> Rebel Moon. Of course you can keep extending in back from 1930s pulps or making it more granular if you like but that's the relevant stuff IMO.

So the question is not why Rebel Moon doesn't look like a Star Wars but why Snyder wasn't able to make those extremely niche comics connect and I'll tell you why: nobody read the 1980s Heavy Metal comics for the story. You read it because it had a gorgeous naked babe riding a dragon and shooting a laser gun. A "PG-13 Heavy Metal comic" is an oxymoron. I think that, and excising an hour of character vignettes, is probably why the movie is suffering. I am fully expecting the director's cut of the movie to get much closer to it's source inspiration and therefore improve.

It still may not be "good" though. The issue is, of course, that 1980s Heavy Metal is very dated, from a simpler time where getting great art of near-naked gladiator women (I know I keep harping on this, but you have to understand that the Badass Almost Naked Warrior Warrior was a huge thing in that era, for better or worse - mostly worse) in a weird science-fiction setting was enough to sustain monthly teen readership. You can certainly update that and pull a Foundation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCPKoiks7yE) and get some gorgeous man to also run around near-naked to update it, but ultimately it's gonna concern itself with showing cool images of attractive, built people doing "cool poo poo" on alien planets. Heavy Metal very much focused on mixing the violence with the erotic and the great art first and foremost and this had a massive effect on Snyder; in our current era of neo-prudism I'm not sure anyone under the age of 30 is buying.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 4, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Like, to bolster my point, here's some random early 1980s Heavy Metal Magazine covers. If you've never seen this stuff and are sensitive to male gaze/pinup stuff, don't click the link.

https://shop.heavymetal.com/collections/back-issues

It's important to realize that this is is real formative years stuff for Snyder; when he had enough clout to make his own movie he made Sucker Punch, which is a direct response to this sort of thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just pointing out that the look is basically wholesale ripped from Gestapo and Soviet Commissars of WW2, right down to the tie (40k Commissars don't have ties, they generally are wearing space armor or embroidered naval jackets).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah. For instance, James Coburn's Britt character is sketched out in one sequence and it's lean and effective. He's a guy so badass he can bring a knife to a gunfight and win, but principled enough that he only kills when necessary and isn't a braggart or a bully, and Magnificent Seven does it in around 5 minutes with one scene.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah, they nailed it.

Also their C3PO and Vader is fantastic!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I actually liked some of the touches. The slow motion hollerin' at Luke's farmstead was legit.

Obviously it's over the top and parodic, but I think they got some of it right. The shot of Vader's booted feet, the exposition, that kind of thing. The phat beat on Obiwan was just good fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The official drink of the pillaging space fascists?!?!? Huh?!?!?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The movie was deliberately pared down by an hour and cut to pg-13 so that they could release a Snydercut of both movies this summer, which are an hour longer apiece and are hard R.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

graventy posted:

I know you guys pretty much all hated the short version so let me promise you, the long version really is nothing like that movie. A completely different movie, really. Please watch.

I don't think it will be a completely different movie but 50% more runtime in a movie about a team mission will hopefully add a lot. I mean, think about how much stuff in Seven Samurai would have to change if the studios had arbitrarily made Kurosawa cut 40 minutes from it (not comparing Snyder to Kurosawa as a director).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's like a 95% chance that the spider monster's going to have nipples, so get ready for that.

Don't threaten me with a good time!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Little does this dude know that GrainGate is completely explained and accounted for in the 3 hour director's cut.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I gave up reading twitter threads for the rest of my life

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

But Zack, the 2 hour cuts ARE the focus-group version of the movies!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

JazzFlight posted:

I'm genuinely curious, because this movie has 18% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I don't think I'm alone in thinking it's bad?

Can't speak for anyone else but the minute you bring up the Tomatometer a huge door slams shut in my mind. I do not give a poo poo what a bunch of mediocrities whose sole common feature is 'will write about movies for a pittance" think - especially in the aggregate - and if you do it's a reveal that our Movie Mindsets have diverged so heavily that I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. Not quite as bad, but it reminds me of when a guy told me that "Raiders of the Lost Ark is a bad movie, actually" and suddenly everything they said afterwards sounds like the teacher noises from Charlie Brown.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Buttchocks posted:

I think it was someone in one of the GM'ing threads who said "if your campaign has too many settings, it has no setting." The world that this take place in isn't coherent at all. It's like tearing a page from 15 random comic books and stitching them together.

Pathfinder's Golarian is the most junkyard world ever, with Ye Olde Transvanian Vampire Intrigue to Pirate Islands to Lasers-and-Sandals Conan Space Nonsense to Steampunk Post Apocalypse and it works fine. I have never heard of this "rule" before in 40 years of playing TTRPGs and it's really quite stupid, honestly.

edit: Golarian map, it's memey and tongue-in-cheek but not TOO far off of actuality. https://www.reddit.com/r/dndmemes/comments/10jugdq/a_great_rundown_of_the_world_of_golarian/#lightbox

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 22, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got to hold off reading that until I see the real version. Sorry Josh! I usually read your stuff right away.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I always love these old 2004-era "I had to bleach my eyeballs" hyperbole reviews. In their haste to get a burn off they often step on a metaphorical rake, much like Shooter McGavin's titular "I eat pieces of poo poo like you for breakfast" line. This guy literally said he willingly drank Snyder's "cinematic piss" and writes drivel, thus completely owning himself AND the review - one of the better ones I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HolePisser1982 posted:

goons with Dukes Bros gangtags posting about how awesome Duke Nukem Forever is

I mean, bring me an SMG-style takedown on Snyder of the caliber done for DNF and I'll convert immediately.

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/155tMXOaubyoKid5d7FGxl3TWCyg4eeBOfDILlfxmhDo/edit)