Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You forgot to mention Zack also had a custom lens built for this film too. As someone who appreciated but ultimately didn't like the look of Army, Rebel Moon looks way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was looking at excerpts of some of the reviews and ho boy, most of them are about the fandom and less about the movie. People get paid to write like this? I'm in the wrong business, my friends.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Biggest take away from that review thread is that the longer, envisioned cut is the way to watch the film.

I dunno why they keep telling the guy who wants to make long epics and designs everything around that to make shorter films. Just let the man cook.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

and even dumber people will binge entire seasons of tv shows in a day

Even worse people watch youtube videos longer than a hour!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Netflix should have released both at the same time. They put out entire seasons all at once so why not.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They can still do that!

"You've wait for it, here's the SNYDER CUT" as it is released a hour later.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Pretty, pretty good - just done with the screening by Teagone.

Solid 7.5/10 - obv. that SO MUCH WAS CUT and it would be better with that back.

This is where I landed too. You feel the cuts and not even in the action to tone the violence down. I get the "clunky dialogue" complaint but it's so melodramatic and delivered with utter sincerity that it plays into it being operatic. Villainous monologues are a staple of the genre. The film was more 40k than Star Wars, didn't get much Star Wars out of the whole thing. Some CGI was questionable but the next scene will have some incredible shots. it was a movie-rear end movie and done cheaper than most other tent pole productions.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 22, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd put it on the level of Magnificent Seven than Seven Samurai in terms of that kind of film. That movie is available to watch on netflix too and that's another one that sprints past every one of the seven's recruitment and they all barely talk to one another the entire film. You do know what's going on and the two protagonists get right and proper development. You understand the stakes, the why and where of things and there's a beginning, middle and end. It doesn't have the dream logic editing of Batman v Superman but you do feel the absence of what was cut.

They should have just released the true 3 hour version but this one isn't bad by any stretch if you enjoy Zack Snyder movies. If you don't like them then this won't change your mind. If your agnostic, it's still a well-shot movie with fantastic shots, good action and a weird sci-fi setting. If you want one of those nonsense movie descriptions: It's Lord of the Rings and Magnificent Seven by way of Warhammer 40k but the grimdark is replaced with the weird.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Han Solo is a comic relief character who gets a token serious arc in Empire Strikes Back before going right back to usual in Return of the Jedi.

I don't think he's a humorous character until Return but at that point he's kind of a caricature of himself from previous films. He's a more relaxed and less serious than the rest of the cast and he does bring a little levity to the film but I don't think he's humorous except for one scene where he's trying, and failing, to talk to the person on the comm after they shot up the prison in A New Hope.

You could say he's a rogue that a little puckish.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I do want to know why the grain was super important in this universe.

Have you seen those farmers? There's clearly something in that grain the universe wants.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

teagone posted:

I thought the sowing seeds in slow motion was awesome.

There were more than one kind of seed she was sowing too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And the seeds of rebellion.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked it and I thought there was a lack of impact too but that's them cutting around the violence, goodness knows why. I'm sure when the R (R for real) cut comes out I'll go "oh, that's why".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hmm, that's interesting. So it very well be a completely different movie besides just more R-rated stuff and extended character arcs, lore, ect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

What surprises me most so far is what isn't getting complained about. For example, the quaint village that's being robbed of its grain are basically Space Amish, and while they're welcoming of Kora, they aren't just willing to let her live their and help out. They want her to join their community and that entails marrying of their own and explicitly producing children, which Kora is clearly unhappy with.

And that's interesting, but it's also uncomfortable and icky and problematic. There's poo poo to talk about!

But instead we have page long rants about how its bad because people eat grain, or miss their shots in a bar fight or because that admiral nazi dresses like a middle manager (???).

The film deserves better haters.

edit: put in spoiler tags

Yeah, I'm curious to see if the director's cut addresses this. But I also think it's a nice twist in the idyllic village under siege by the villains where that village is kind of a hetero-normative place where a requirement for really joining it is marriage and rearing children. It falls neatly into Snyder's wheelhouse of everything not being so squeaky-clean.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Also, Charlie Hunnam is pointlessly Northern Irish. I can except that the accent isn't good because it's space and it does't need to be, but he's missing the witt that makes the accent charming

Considering what the character said the empire did to his people, I don't think so.

Edit: What I'm basically saying is that people with English accents have a history of doing not nice things to those with Irish accents, even if that specific event I linked isn't what they were thinking about when they were making creative decisions about the character.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 25, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thank you for the engagement. You ensured this thread remains on page 1 and that Rebel Moon remains as a #1 release. Service guarantees citizenship. Welcome citizen. Once again, Zack Snyder remains winning.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought Villeneuve's Dune did scale really well and I think it does it better than Rebel Moon. But the set design was really flat, whereas it was super good in Rebel Moon - it felt super lived in and dirty and was the most "Star Wars" aspect of the film. Dune's was lifeless by comparison. I still liked Dune but I find myself enjoying Lynch's Dune more.

I'm not going to tear down one sci-fi film to prop up another since goodness knows we could use more sci-fi epics in our lives. Both have things going for them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

ok I don't know poo poo about any of this. here is my big review:

I watched this with a lot of this thread's complaints in mind, and I could recognise them. I dunno if I would have done if I hadn't had people make me think about it beforehand.

It was like an AI wrote it.

Regarding the I dunno big weird sky backgrounds or whatever. Nonsense, looks lovely.

There are some talky bits where its like yeah lol noone talks like that but then I live in a pleasant little village where my main complaint is the prebaked bread at budgens being a bit poo poo so I'm cool with all these people lamenting the 1000year empire loving things up. Although I kind of do live in that world actually if i think about it.

Maybe I think some of the slomo is kind of a bit incomplete cos theres supposed to be more that would sort of complement it? but its waiting for the next version? Netflix should maybe offer a feature where it speeds up the slomo to normalmo if you so desire.

I loved so many of the characters that I can absolutely see people being pissed off with not seeing more of them and I hope we do.

Like not even necessarily characters so much but some i dunno the term character dynamics? This could be in reference to this movie ripping off all sorts of other sources which yeah it does but isnt that like an homage? I liked that the soldiers left in the village weren't just a bunch of robotic rapists, they had a whole story going on there. Like it reminds me a bit of sharpe (for the brits) but also all sorts of modern iraq etc warfare movies wheres theres characters and tension between them. I though it was sold well.

The baddies trip into the village was tense and awkward as hell.

I thought there were quite a lot of establishing shots, like spaceships landing in places with the place literally names on screen. It reminded me a bit of guardians of the galaxy in that respect and I would like someone smarter to reflect on that. I suppose it could be what people dont like. as In theres no interplay on the spaceship between these disperate characters. Like no discussion about where to drive the spaceship or whose in charge.

About the grain. Like I guess assume the bad guy went to a bunch of places and demanded unreasonable things from a bunch of people just to shake things up and use his agents to follow up on the outcome and track down people that way. Like the assistant guy says, one of our dudes found this and the grabby prisoner crab robots were shown to be in the possession of other bounty hunters earlier. like maybe the mining village also got a visit, the refinery village, etc.

What I would quite like in the sequel is a shawn of the dead homage(ripoff) where kora bumps into an old buddy who settled in the mining village and marches her crew past their perfectly mirrored crew of reprobates set out to take the empire down.

I did think the end battle was a bit lame and got confused alot. But I'm not getting any younger and have been drinking even more than usual for xmas. Like it seemed like there must be a missing cut where they walked away all the other magnificent seven in their uptight neckbrace carry crabs before gunnar did his heroics so they didnt end up directly in the firing line of the ensuing shootout. Ban solo literally says this just before, move them incapacitated, but we dont see it.

Like maybe it will be a bit more like starwars in the sequel if they can have a medal ceremony and jimmy and the eagle not get one.

Overall I think its just a bit sad if everyone hates it and we dont get more things like this.

I'm no fan of "It's like an AI wrote it" because it wears its influences on its sleeve much like Star Wars did. People wrongly call this a Star Wars rip-off because Snyder talk about him getting rejected by Lucas Films when it's more apparent that it's a 40k rip-off so it's just some weird non-diegetic knowledge coming into the film. I guess it's a Star Wars rip-off in the way that Star Wars ripped off Flash Gordon and Hidden Fortress, but that's not what people mean. But I appreciate you posting your thoughts! The location texts that Guardians and, well, just about every spy thriller made in the last 20 years uses is a way of establishing place. With ensembles the recruitment phase of them tend to be back-to-back-to-back but since this isn't like the West or Japan, establishing these places helps fill out the universe a bit more and gives a name to the mining world and what have you.

Kind of funny you mention Magnificent Seven because that movie has a similar "getting the band together" flow that this one does. Chris and Vinn go meet these folks and they join up. Two of them even have similar recruitment action. None of them even talk to each other until they arrived at the village proper and begin to fortify it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol I just stuck that in near the start to annoy that poster that hates it cos I'm a massive wind up merchant

otherwise genuinely my thoughts

How dare you!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

It hinges on the 'supposed to be' I guess. There probably is exposition I missed on this by being a bad movie watcher / having a hard time caring. If princess was an infant I suppose there wouldn't be much reason the village girl would remind the robot of her, not exactly a lot of personality in a baby.

Robot man was one of the best parts of movie and him vanishing without a trace was silly. Yes, he's clearly going to be important in part 2 but :shrug:

Even and especially in an ensemble movie, the 'party member' people should have some notable character traits to bounce off each other. I guess those were cut? Having a theoretical version of the movie out there super muddies the discussion in general, which is kinda annoying.

Issa is the teenage girl who revives the dead bird. Kora tells Gunnar this story onboard the ship. She looks 12 or 13.

I watched it again and feel about the same way I felt when I first saw it during the watchalong. I don't believe the real cut of the film will fundamentally change the recruitment stuff aside from having a bit more time with them during it. Like them just showing up in an elevator with Nemesis or just appearing in front of king Lavitica without any fanfare. I can see those getting more time to breath and maybe some stuff in between each world. A point I keep bringing up is that has the same flow as The Magnificent Seven. Tarak is in a more extreme situation as O'Reilly (indentured servitude versus cutting wood for breakfast) and Nemesis has a more elongated and morally complex fight than Britt has (fighting a spider being in the depths of her despair versus some loud mouth who wants a duel). But barring those similarities this film is mostly build-up without the emotional pay-off of these disparate characters working to defend the village, being a two-parter.

The fights do suffer from cutting around the violence. It's super obvious and distracts from the choreography. The final fight with Nobel has a lot of weird framing where the impacts aren't even in frame. It's like Netflix had notes like "okay, you can keep the arm break and leg stab in if you don't show the punches to the gut each character gets and cut out the impact frames of the face punches". Very jarring considering Snyder does action really well.

The film does a great job depicting the unreasonable cruelty of fascism and people trying to reasonably respond to it. Rationalizing their options. "Show them how valuable we are" kinds of conversations. It's reminiscent of the conversations the Jewish prisoners have in Schindler's List. Talking about how they should appeal to their occupier's humanity and Kora rightly calls them naive when is talking to her surrogate father while packing her things. The first half of the film flows really well and feels the most complete. Everything after Tarak feels like it has missing elements that makes it feel disjointed. The montage of going from world to world is fine and part of the genre but the scene-by-scene elements within those montages have elements missing from them.

I still give it my 7.5 score. There's a lot going on with the filmmaking and has good bits of deconstruction sprinkled in there - like the village not being perfect like they tend to be in these films. This place is obviously a religiously conservative place but that still doesn't mean they deserve to be trampled over by some fascist government that's very far removed from where they are in the universe.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

After Nobel kills king Levitica he tells the King's Gaze to finish up turning the planet to ash while he goes ahead to collect his prisons after getting a message from Kai. He states this as he boards the dropship with the massive explosions going on in the background.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh yeah, they definitely mucked up the subtitles.

Comedy option: all ships are named King's Gaze.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's also v small compared to the vagina it came out of in the beginning of the film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's just what netflix wanted to do and it is, indeed, really dumb. Every single instance of Zack Snyder's director's cuts, that I've seen, have been improvements by some measurement. In the case of Justice League it was vastly superior. Batman v Superman has its theatrical cut defenders but we don't talk about them in these topics. There's an interview with the writer now saying that it was supposed to be just one big, long epic of a film. Snyder shot it was one film but that may have been just editorializing much like they shot all of Lord of the Rings at once so you can say they "shot it like one film" and have some editor misunderstand what they meant.

But I'd watch a 6 hour cut of Rebel Moon with an intermission in the middle. It's definitely one they should put on a disc. Streaming just can't match what you see on a 4k disc.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

josh04 posted:

the main thing i'm expecting is that it's going to be red meat to the 'unnecessary sex scenes' crowd

Not a fan of this regression to being a bunch of puritans over sex in media. Those marvel movies are the most sexless things ever produced and it positioned far too many people to think like this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I was chatting with someone about this very thing in the CineD discord - about theoretical shorter cuts like a 3 hour cut or a 214 minute cut he said he had and I brought up that scene for something I'd cut if I were trimming the film towards one of those theoretical versions. It's the only part I dislike about Snyder's Justice League. The new stuff is a fun little indulgence but in the movie proper that scene was very wrong-headed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I believe so, yes. Link

It comes down to personal preference of the look but it's also something that requires a little more effort on our part, as viewers. It's easy to just go "Zack Snyder likes his dumb lenses" or "it's done to capture the look of the 70's and 80's sci-fi/fantasy/film" but it should be "why is it framed this way and what is the focus on the shot?" Contrary to popular belief, Snyder or any filmmaker puts thought behind each shot and the information they convey. Giving these folks a little benefit of the doubt and accept they know what they're doing is something I think we lost in this age of reactionary youtube videos that are genuinely incurious and rush to judgement or, at least, are very pretentious.

So because these lenses have that aberration effect framing becomes even more important. Why are the hands in focus and the faces are not. Jimmy is a robot with no facial features but Sam is a real person that can emote but what would that contrast be? We can obviously see that he is a faceless robot and she a blooded human. But if we focus on the hands we can tell a story. He fiddles with the towel, which isn't a lot to go on but it draws our attention to them and to his chest, which is in focus and the details inscribed on them. She's not talking but is making a flower laurel - it sets up a pay-off at the end of their conversation. His story is about the death of the princess Issa and how with her death their honor, compassion, kindness and hope died with her. At the end she puts the laurel upon his head tells him she believes all those things live within him, places her hand upon his cheek and it lights up with a warm color. She showed him those very things he thought were all but lost.

It's also worth noting that the lens isn't used in the tight shots. When they move in to focus on their faces during their conversation aberration effect is absent.

It's fair to say that if you're not engaged or interested in the works that you simply don't want to do that - no piece of art deserves your time if you don't want to give it. That said I firmly believe that, in the case of movies, you get more out of them the more you put in them. It's a lot of fun dissecting a scene or sequence and look at the filmmaking, discerning the hows and whys of it all.

This is one of my favorite videos on Man of Steel and all it does is talk about the filmmaking in one scene in that entire movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RpU3FL1w8

And it's only 7 minutes and 30 seconds long.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 30, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

#ReleaseTheMartianManhunterlessCut says I!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What on earth?

Genre film has things from that genre. The point is that The Force Awakens is derivative in its own franchise - it's a lesser retelling of A New Hope.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I might do a movie battle between Rebel Moon and Magnificent Seven. It's easier to do than Seven Samurai because it's shorter but it's also more fresh in my memory (it's on Prime if you have it). Magnificent Seven and Reble Moon has a lot of their characters in the same kind of circumstances too. I think some folks may be setting themselves up for disappointment if they're hoping the real cut fills up the recruitment process. I think it'll flesh out the lead up to them (such as the movie jumping to the group sharing and elevator with Nemesis, skipping over the initial meeting) and jarring things like that but the rapid-fire back-to-back recruitment is just an aspect of this kind of film.

Just as a quick example that ties those two films together: Robert Vaughn's character in Magnificent Seven has the same recruitment process as Djimon Hounsou's character in Rebel Moon - they're both in not good situations and join up after a quick conversation. One lured by 20 dollars, the other with revenge. People complained how brief the encounter with Titus since he has an established level of importance the other recruits don't have but I don't think we'll get much backstory on him until the second film where it makes more sense to draw parallels between the first time he lead people against the empire, now leading these farmers against it and the lessons he learned from the mistakes he made.

I theorize that because the editing in the first half of the film's action sequences cut out the violence it creates this disconnect between the film and the viewer. Your brain notices these weird gaps and it stays that way for the entire film. What are simply genre conventions become holes and what you think may be missing was never there to begin with. But there are also obvious things missing so it reinforces that feeling and leaves you cold.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 4, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

My problem is less the recruitment and more how the characters are a giant nothing. I don't want flashbacks I want characters that are not 'just there'. TMS has a lot of character interactions, be it between the Seven, between them and the village, or between them and the bad guys.

Again, this is half of the story so I hope there is something more in the second part.

That's the thing I'd point out in a theoretical movie battle. Rebel Moon runs up to them arriving at the village. The Magnificent Seven isn't part one of two; until they arrived at the village the seven barely talk to each other. It's Chris, Vinn and Harry who have the most interactions outside of Chico who comes and goes. In Rebel Moon Kora is Chris and the villagers rolled into one character. Gunnar filled the villagers and Chico roles and that's why Kora talks to him the most. Telling him her backstory and taking him out into the universe. It's why he's in focus for almost all the reaction shots - this stuff is new to him.

It's interesting because Rebel Moon combines a lot of these archetypes into singular characters.

graventy posted:

That bartender struck me more as a JRPG/Dark Souls boss. But also just a hilariously bad design for a bartender.

Now this is just prejudiced. What, a person can't wear their candle mantle while serving drinks? Get the hell out of here with that nonsense!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Magnificent Seven and Rebel Moon would make for a great double-feature. They share a lot of similarities beyond even what these kind of ensembles have. Even just going by what we haven't seen yet with Rebel Moon part 2, it focuses on the villain before you meet the heroes, their recruitment order and style are very similar for reasons I've posted about (indentured service, badass fight, brief conversation). They are even sold out by someone they trusted!

I mentioned before but not only the plot points but the narrative flow. It has the similar rapid-fire process of meeting these characters. It didn't notice the first time I saw Magnificent Seven (years ago) but they're actually moving between towns with each of the seven they meet but you don't get a sense that they are. In Rebel Moon there are establishing shots of them going to these new worlds. As jarring as some of cuts within these vignettes are you do have a sense of place and movement. Rebel Moon almost requires it because it's a new universe and not 19th century Western American and Mexico - its jarring but it's not very important to the story. You don't even get a sense of what life is like in the village in Magnificent Seven because you can assume it's just another sleepy remote Mexican village of farmers. Rebel Moon has to establish what that village is like, its customs and weird sex rituals for the harvest to give it a sense of place since normal assumptions wouldn't necessarily apply.

As I said before Magnificent Seven has an advantage because it doesn't end after the seven are assembled. It has no part 2. Even barring the director's cut filling in the weird editing gaps, I think the best way to watch Rebel Moon would to take part 1 an 2 as a whole. Watch part 1, take 15 minutes as an intermission (preferably blasting JunkieXL's score) then watch part 2. So those who are holding out I would watch this after part 2 is out and watch them as a whole, treat it like one film. It feels like a film of nothing but build-up because that's what it ultimately is. It not only establishes these characters but the universe and its politics. There's more going on in it than Magnificent Seven.

A good exercise would be to watch Rebel Moon then watch Magnificent Seven up to the point where the three farmers are leading the seven into an seemingly empty village. That's where Rebel Moon's narrative leaves off. See how you feel about both's narratives. Differences in runtime and filmmaking are to be expected but it's why I'm more forgiving of Rebel Moon than some because I saw one before the other and was struck how similar they are. I don't see the recruitment of these heroes any different than what is already established in the genre. We're so used to films being a certain way because it has been dominated by one genre with vast loosely-interconnected movies that somewhat establish these characters. Sure, I'd love to see a whole feature film with Nemesis but it's not necessary because Rebel Moon establishes what she's about with her dialogue and action.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What on earth? Look at this guy not knowing Charles Bronson from James Coburn. This forum's gone to the dogs, I tell ya what.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Snyder needs to get netflix back in the physical media business. Start printing their exclusives on disc. There are a few on there that I'd buy 4k discs for.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

All this makes sense and can be inferred from the movie, it just seems like Snyder is eternally doomed to not make things clear. Gary Elves gets one scene with audible lines, expressing the hope that things will be different when his daughter rules. Then he gets 2 1/2 scenes of screaming at his troops from his Reichstagstribüne in a stark contrast to his softer tone.

I think it's pretty clear. He's out in front of his stormtroopers waving the same kind of staff Noble used to bludgeon people to death during a monologue about how, as a conquered person, Kora was broken down and rebuilt in their image and actively fought for her conquerors. Then we see the same king later on, much greyer and with a santa claus beard saying maybe things'll be better with my cute kid with magical powers and we won't be an expansionist murder empire. Then he was murdered.

It's a story in three parts!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Actually one thing I was disappointed with Rebel Moon was the lack of speed ramping. Slo-mo is well and good but the speed ramping is where the good poo poo is at. Disappointed in Snyder on that front. What's going on guy?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looks like we've got a runtime for part 2.

https://twitter.com/SnyderNetflix/status/1759666508760768935

2 hours 1 minute. So about the sweet 90 minute spot with that extra 30 coming from all the slow-mo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man says he sold excess grain to rebels. A dreadnought-class ship shows up and lands troops in the village the man who sold the excess grain to the rebels lives in. Heroes see villains take rebel contact away in later scene. These things are not related and it's just hack writing that makes no sense.

Even if you don't want to concede that point, which is weird and why do you even watch movies if you're ignoring the text of the film, fascists don't need excuses to do bad things. They do because they can. That's the whole point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In this twitter thread I'm going to talk about how bad twitter threads are 1/500.